The Batsuit Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Only to people who have a hard time accepting the blatant FACT that Batman has worn blue for a large part of his history

What colour are the trousers worn by the Penguin's henchmen?
Huh? All I said was nice jacket... just seemed a little odd to me that Penguin's outfit would match Batman's to the hue. I guess symbolic bla... err, I mean blue, is just popular in Gotham. As for the trousers worn by the henchmen... gray, I suppose—if they were meant to be black they'd be rendered as such. That's how that theory goes, right? I mean they're clearly not the same coloring as Penguin's black bow tie... maybe the gray here is symbolic of black?

As for the trousers worn by the henchmen... gray, I suppose—if they were meant to be black they'd be rendered as such. That's how that theory goes, right? I mean they're clearly not the same coloring as Penguin's black bow tie... maybe the gray here is symbolic of black?

The henchmen are also under flourescent lighting.

^ Only to people who have a hard time accepting the blatant FACT that Batman has worn blue for a large part of his history

I don't disagree with you. Whether or not the blue was meant to be symbolic of black is irrelevant; he was shown to wear blue. That's really all there is to it. There's plenty of "black" Batman to go around.

^ exactly. the people trying to make it more than what it is are the types that take Batman way too seriously.

The bottom line is, Bob Kane's , as one of batman's co-creators, "opinion" that the costume was originally black and grey is the only one that matters, his opinion in that case becomes "fact". It is also the case that a major proprotion of batman's existence, it has been blue and grey, and full intended to be so, and not a representaion of black, even though that at the beginning was also true. I really don't see what the big argument here is about. Batman has worn and still wears, both color schemes.

Kane's opinion can (debatably, since he had little to do with Batman's design) be taken as fact when applied to the Batman he drew. Let's not forget, however, that the costume was redesigned in 1964, when the yellow oval was introduced. The "yellow oval" suit is rendered in blue even today, when shown in flash back and in contrast to the modern, black-suited Batman.

I think a logical narrative to lay over the fragmented evidence is that Batman started wearing black and grey with a black chest-emblem, switched to blue with the yellow oval, and now wears whatever he wants.

What does any of this debate have to do with a film suit though? Comic artists have it both ways when drawing batman. If he's shaded blue the one's who want to believe he's wearing blue can as can those who feel he's actually wearing black but with the animator shading it blue for impact.

On film there would be no leeway if batman is wearing a blue suit on film he is damn well wearing blue.

As well in all my readings of batman i have never heard the suit referred to by any one as blue or batman being referred to anything similar to the "big blue boyscout" or blue anything as superman is who is unquestionably wearing blue is.

I have however read him described as being draped in black in both dialogue and descriptions by artists/creators.

Also Alex Ross is famous for depicting the DC characters in their classic/traditional outfits his batman is always draped in black.

Batman-Alex_Ross.gif

It's funny to me that the pouch belt has come to be seen as part of the "classic" look.

Yes, that is odd.

Alex Ross would also paint Batman with little purple surgical gloves, if he is referencing the first Batman design. And guns.

The nose is too beaky, I don't like the chin strap, the little emblem on the belt is horrid, and I am bored with the all-black colour scheme.

BUT it is a nice design, otherwise. I would really like to see it with grey scheme, and a few tweaks.

The only things I'd change are the belt and the contrast. The bat, cape, cowl, and boots should be a lot darker. The bodysuit, I think, could afford to be a little lighter too.

I'm a little iffy on the clasps as well, but I could live with them.

I hate cape clasps on Batman. They're not awful for superhero designs in general I just don't think they work for him.

On the positive I give this design some props for going for the whited out eyeslits. Also the mask reminds me a little bit of Gatchaman.

Last edited:
I understand why people put yellow/gold belts on Batman...but I don't understand why modern designs insist on it.

I like that manip quite a bit, but do agree the nose is too pointy and beak-like.

The TDK/TDKR suit is the gold standard. Nuff said.

How about this?

JHdoG.jpg

one too many scallops on the gauntlets and don't really like the cape clasps. Otherwise, I dig the **** out of this. I would gladly take an ever so slightly revised version of it as the next movie suit.

I like all of Nolan's bat-suits... and it was beautiful in TDKR.

But they could have been soooo much more.

I hope the next designer thinks outside the box. By that stage it'll be what... 25 years of the same black (constrictive or messy) rubber suits.

They need to be pretty bold about it.

I really loved the Batman Begins armor. More than TDK or TDKR armor, even though I still liked those.

The best change had to be the separation of the cowl from the neck. Making the cowl literally like a helmet, and the neck of the costume connected to the armor itself, really made a huge difference it seemed. So, I think that's something that could be used in the next versions from here on out. Even if we get a spandex-type looking Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"