Guardians of the Galaxy The Big Bad Star Lord Thread - Part 1

Who should play him, what should be his story arc. Basically everything about Star Lord.

Hopefully in the next film he'll step up more as a leader-- but I guess his goofball nature is what people find endearing, so I guess that will continue as well.

Hopefully in the next film he'll step up more as a leader-- but I guess his goofball nature is what people find endearing, so I guess that will continue as well.

He did step up as a leader when he lead the team against Ronan.

I know this has been posted before, but now that GotG has been released, can we all take a moment to appreciate just how spot-on this ad is, in terms of the final confrontation between Ronan and Star-Lord? :woot:
[YT]vT29xPCEGDo[/YT]

Last edited:
Star Lord was way cooler than I expected him to be. Really fun in combat, the way he uses his element guns and boosters simultaneously in combat is frantically marvelous.

Star-Lord was certainly my favourite character in the film. A second viewing only further cemented it for me. Chris Pratt is excellent in the role, a charismatic movie star role that is going to instantly mark him out as a headline player. He makes the role of Peter Quill his own like Robert Downey Jr made Tony Stark his own - turning it into a calling card that perfectly projects his onscreen persona - and the process made Star-Lord perhaps my new favourite MCU hero. He's funny both in terms of the wittiness of his lines and the stupidity of his physical comedy, playing a character who's allowed to be both smart and dumb.

But to get into perhaps my favourite aspect of Star-Lord, and arguably my favourite moment of the whole film, I'll have to use spoiler tags...

Arguably my favourite moment in the film is right near the end, just as "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" starts to kick in, and we get that extended slow zoom-in on Quill's face, sadness etched in his expression and tears welling in his eyes. It's such a powerful moment for me, as it highlights the sadness and melancholy at the core of Quill's character, while also paving the way for closure and future happiness. It's a moving happy/sad moment that chokes me up in much the same way the similar closing moments of Super did.

And more than the moment itself, I absolutely love the wider implications of the lead-up to it. So many superhero movies are about that father/son relationship. Historically, Jor-El is presented as the key absent parent in Superman's life, while it seems Thomas Wayne occupies Batman's thoughts more than Martha Wayne despite them both dying in the same alley. The list goes on and on. And with the revelation about Quill having an alien father, we can maybe expect that thread to continue in future films. But not in this film. I was taken aback by just how disinterested Quill seems to be to learn about his father. It's like a "Huh, weird," but then his thoughts immediately jump to his mother, the parent who WAS there for him throughout his childhood. It goes starkly against blockbuster logic, as storytelling 101 would have Quill marching onward with a new quest to seek out his father as the credits start to roll. But I love how instead the true climactic character moment for Quill was allowed to be him coming to terms with the loss of his mother. That totally connected with me on a personal level. I never knew my father, it was my mother who raised me. And I never felt a void in my life, like I needed to find my dad. Instead I appreciated my mum for being the one who was there for me. And so that final message hitting home how much Quill's mother loved him, that was just really moving to me.

I'm sure he will, but the story had to get to that point where they could show that he can do that.

I also loved how they opened up to each other, just pure earnest emotion and by the end I saw this was no longer a bunch of rag tags sticking together for the sake of it, but an actual team.

Probably my favorite character of the film...I loved Pratt's performance mainly because as much as he was a goofball, he was also able to perfectly pull off the more serious scenes.

I know a lot of people out there have stated they hated his comedic nature but I enjoyed it and want to see more of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"