The Create-A-Hero RPG Season III OOC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of catching up to you. Can I get a quick cliff note of whats going on this season?

I have a lot of catching up to you. Can I get a quick cliff note of whats going on this season?

Basically, STRIKE has come out openly against Metas, basically working toward a war with them. Right now, they're trying to build a case against the Guardians and turn the people against them...

They've been doing raids, rounding up metas and just doing alot of shady stuff, all under orders from STRIKE's director, Anderson.

Awesome. Well I am working on my character now. Hopefully I can finish before youy log off so I can know whether or not it's approved.

noob_saibot.jpg

The Phantom

Character you have created: The Phantom
Alias: The Phantom

Speech Color : Grey

Character Alignment: Unknown

Identity: Unknown

Character Personality: The Phantom is a man of mystery, a slilent killer who walks in the shadows and hunts other Metas.

Uniform/costume: Sleek, lightweight armor and a cloak and mask that protect his identity. All black, with glowing white lenses for seeing in the dark.

Origin Info/Details:
Little is known about The Phantom. An enigma, all that is known about him is that he is an instrument of S.T.R.I.K.E. A skilled fighter who is forced into fighting his own kind, The Phantom has potential to be one of Lost Havens greatest heroes, but is instead one of it's worst enemies. He uses Barrett Tech gadgetry which has attracted the attention of billionaire tech tycoon Jack Barrett, who is on a personal mission to bring The Phantom to justice.

Hero Type: Gray Matter/Acrobat

Power Level: World Level

Powers: with the ability to use 100% of his brain, he is probably the most intelligent man on the planet. He can instantly adapt to any opponents fighting style and basically learn how to do anything, whther it's learning a new language or adopting a new form of martial arts, just by a few minutes of observation. It's almost as if his brain downloads information.

Attributes:

Strength Level: Normal Human

Speed/Reaction Timing Level: Normal Human

Endurance at MAXIMUM Effort: 4 Hours

Agility: 15X Normal Level

Intelligence: Super-Genius

Fighting Skill: Mastered

Resources: Extreme (relies heavily on gadgets and weaponry)

Weaknesses: Unknown

Supporting Characters : Jack Barrett, ULTIMA, C.H.I.P

List a few reasons why you've created that character:
Want to get back into the CAH universe and contribute to what is already an awesome world.

What can you bring to the RPG?:
Good storytelling and lots of creative ideas.

Do you know how to post pictures on the hype boards?:
Noob-saibot.jpg

Draperhair.jpg

don.jpg

Sample Post:

Rain falls down upon the moonlit streets of Lost Haven. Smoke billows from the sewers as steam rises from streets. It's a cold wet night and the mood is just as dark as the sky above.
Carlos runs down the alleyway soaking wet, shaking and gasping for air as he stops and panics. He looks around and tries to spot a place to hide, but can not find one. He catches his breath a bit more before running down the alleyway. He turns a corner and comes to a dead end. He quickly turns around and closes his eyes, clenching his fist as his entire body combusts into flames.
Carlos is a Metahuman, and he doesn't have a firm grasp on his ability to engulf his body in fire, all that he knows is that he has never had a need to use his ability as much as he does now. The pain picks up and the fire begins to damper. Carlos is scared for his life, and his powers falter out as the water extinguishes him
"What do you want!?! What do you want from me?!?!" Carlos screams

The Phantom lowers himself from behind Carlos, making no sound at all as he gracefully lands in a crouched position behind Carlos. Carlos turns around and comes face to face with the man who has been chasing him. Carlos tries to holler but he is in shock as he glares into the Phantoms glowing white eyes.
The Phantom uses his foot to sweep the legs from under Carlos who lands on his back.

"Carlos Morales. 22 Years old, son of Hector and Maria Morales. Metahuman with the ability to control fire, manifest fire and become fire." The Phantom says.

"Leave me alone mean, please just let me go!!" Carlos cries out.

"Your a good man, Carlos. The only one of your mothers 4 children to graduate high school, the only one to have never been to jail. You are a student at LHCC and you go to church almost every Sunday. You plan on proposing to your girlfriend Vanessa because you think it's "the right thing to do" and your conscience cant afford another abortion. You pay all your bills on time and you have only been in one fight your entire life, and you were defending yourself." The Phantom says as he circles around Carlos.

"How...how do you know all that?" Carlos asks as he pulls himself up.

"That's not important, Carlos. Just know that what I am about to do to you is not personal, my friend. I think the world needs more people like you, unfortunately the world doesn't want more people like you. Chalk it up to ignorance, chalk it up to fear, the bottom line is that your presence, your very existence, upsets the natural order of things. There are forces at work, that are putting good money to ensure the end of your existence. that's where I come in. I have a job to do, Carlos. And that means that I am supposed to kill you tonight." The Phantom calmly says as he helps Carlos up.

"N...n...no, please don't" Carlos says.

"Carlos, believe it or not, I don't want this. I may even want this less then you do. But if I let you live, the consequence would be more sever than I can even say. I will tell you this, Carlos. You were a good son to your parents, a good brother to your siblings and a great man in the making. People respect you, people should aspire to be you. You were dealt a bad card kid, believe me, I know how it feels." The Phantom proclaims as he pulls the Pump Action Shotgun out of his back holster.

Carlos cries and puts his hands up, begging for his life as The Phantom puts the gun to his head.

"Goodbye Carlos. Your family will miss you. I'm sorry, friend..."

BAM!!

The fragments of brain matter and blood paint the concrete wall behind Carlos and his headless body falls to the floor.
The Phantom drops to one knee and places his right hand on Carlos's chest.

"Our father, who art in heaven....
Hallowed be thy name..."
The Phantom begins to pray over his lifeless victem.

Last edited:
Hell to the yes! JD is back!

And I notice Ultima is a supporting character! BOOM!

I deliberately mentioned Isaac not seeing him in Tartarus when he was doing his thing earlier clinging to the thin veil of hope that JD would want to come back and not wanting to tie his hands up if he did...

noob_saibot.jpg

The Phantom

Character you have created: The Phantom
Alias: The Phantom

Speech Color : Grey

Character Alignment: Unknown

Identity: Unknown

Character Personality: The Phantom is a man of mystery, a slilent killer who walks in the shadows and hunts other Metas.

Uniform/costume: Sleek, lightweight armor and a cloak and mask that protect his identity. All black, with glowing white lenses for seeing in the dark.

Origin Info/Details:
Little is known about The Phantom. An enigma, all that is known about him is that he is an instrument of S.T.R.I.K.E. A skilled fighter who is forced into fighting his own kind, The Phantom has potential to be one of Lost Havens greatest heroes, but is instead one of it's worst enemies. He uses Barrett Tech gadgetry which has attracted the attention of billionaire tech tycoon Jack Barrett, who is on a personal mission to bring The Phantom to justice.

Hero Type: Gray Matter/Acrobat

Power Level: World Level

Powers: with the ability to use 100% of his brain, he is probably the most intelligent man on the planet. He can instantly adapt to any opponents fighting style and basically learn how to do anything, whther it's learning a new language or adopting a new form of martial arts, just by a few minutes of observation. It's almost as if his brain downloads information.

Attributes:

Endurance at MAXIMUM Effort: 4 Hours

Agility: 15X Normal Level

Fighting Skill: Mastered

Resources: Extreme (relies heavily on gadgets and weaponry)

Weaknesses: Unknown

Supporting Characters : Jack Barrett, ULTIMA, C.H.I.P

List a few reasons why you've created that character:
Want to get back into the CAH universe and contribute to what is already an awesome world.

What can you bring to the RPG?:
Good storytelling and lots of creative ideas.

Noob-saibot.jpg

Draperhair.jpg

don.jpg

Sample Post:

Rain falls down upon the moonlit streets of Lost Haven. Smoke billows from the sewers as steam rises from streets. It's a cold wet night and the mood is just as dark as the sky above.
Carlos runs down the alleyway soaking wet, shaking and gasping for air as he stops and panics. He looks around and tries to spot a place to hide, but can not find one. He catches his breath a bit more before running down the alleyway. He turns a corner and comes to a dead end. He quickly turns around and closes his eyes, clenching his fist as his entire body combusts into flames.
Carlos is a Metahuman, and he doesn't have a firm grasp on his ability to engulf his body in fire, all that he knows is that he has never had a need to use his ability as much as he does now. The pain picks up and the fire begins to damper. Carlos is scared for his life, and his powers falter out as the water extinguishes him
"What do you want!?! What do you want from me?!?!" Carlos screams

The Phantom lowers himself from behind Carlos, making no sound at all as he gracefully lands in a crouched position behind Carlos. Carlos turns around and comes face to face with the man who has been chasing him. Carlos tries to holler but he is in shock as he glares into the Phantoms glowing white eyes.
The Phantom uses his foot to sweep the legs from under Carlos who lands on his back.

"Carlos Morales. 22 Years old, son of Hector and Maria Morales. Metahuman with the ability to control fire, manifest fire and become fire." The Phantom says.

"Leave me alone mean, please just let me go!!" Carlos cries out.

"Your a good man, Carlos. The only one of your mothers 4 children to graduate high school, the only one to have never been to jail. You are a student at LHCC and you go to church almost every Sunday. You plan on proposing to your girlfriend Vanessa because you think it's "the right thing to do" and your conscience cant afford another abortion. You pay all your bills on time and you have only been in one fight your entire life, and you were defending yourself." The Phantom says as he circles around Carlos.

"How...how do you know all that?" Carlos asks as he pulls himself up.

"That's not important, Carlos. Just know that what I am about to do to you is not personal, my friend. I think the world needs more people like you, unfortunately the world doesn't want more people like you. Chalk it up to ignorance, chalk it up to fear, the bottom line is that your presence, your very existence, upsets the natural order of things. There are forces at work, that are putting good money to ensure the end of your existence. that's where I come in. I have a job to do, Carlos. And that means that I am supposed to kill you tonight." The Phantom calmly says as he helps Carlos up.

"N...n...no, please don't" Carlos says.

"Carlos, believe it or not, I don't want this. I may even want this less then you do. But if I let you live, the consequence would be more sever than I can even say. I will tell you this, Carlos. You were a good son to your parents, a good brother to your siblings and a great man in the making. People respect you, people should aspire to be you. You were dealt a bad card kid, believe me, I know how it feels." The Phantom proclaims as he pulls the Pump Action Shotgun out of his back holster.

Carlos cries and puts his hands up, begging for his life as The Phantom puts the gun to his head.

"Goodbye Carlos. Your family will miss you. I'm sorry, friend..."

BAM!!

The fragments of brain matter and blood paint the concrete wall behind Carlos and his headless body falls to the floor.
The Phantom drops to one knee and places his right hand on Carlos's chest.

"Our father, who art in heaven....
Hallowed be thy name..." The Phantom begins to pray over his lifeless victem.

Approved. Welcome back

hey guys. Been sick today. Will try to get a bpost up toniht

Serves you right for partying all weekend. Just goes to show that if you can't soar with the eagles you shouldn't party with the turkeys.

:oldrazz:

Hey guys, just got out of the hospital. Lung infection. will post asap.

Hey guys. Sorry about that last post. I probably shouldn't have even tried to post tonight, as I'm all doped up on meds for my lung infection, but I felt the need to at least get something in. So just bear with me until I get back on my feet a bit.

Sorry that I have not started my first post here. I was trying to finish two origins stories before the season ended over at Ultimate DC. I am going to start up my origin story over here very soon.

I got a post up so you can start the meeting whenever, NiteMare, unless you/we are waiting on anyone else.

Finally got my post up.

Yes, I'm aware Icon would be able to hear him when he came in, but I assumed he's preoccupied with Archangel.

Apologizing now for the crap quality of last night's post - had an awful migraine and that was the best I could do while trying not to hurl.
Also apologizing for the picture in the last post - I had a really great one ready, but in my fit of trying to use a computer while my head was being torn in half and run through a juicer, I accidentally deleted it instead of saving it. So you get stuck with the crap 45-minute version I did this morning. Oh well. Pinup has a uniform now.

Last edited:
Just finished a marathon posting session over the weekend to close out WoH's historic run.

I'll be able to focus more time on this game now.

Character you have created: Dr. Charles Teufel, Head of Biochemical Research at STRIKE
Alias: None

Speech Color (Actually say what you're using, don't go "Like this", or what not): Red

Character Alignment: Villain

Identity: Known

Character Personality (Give information on how your character acts, what he/she believes in, how they handle situations): Charles Teufel appears on the surface to be a mild-mannered, even tempered man with a dry sense of humor and an unflappable air of calm authority. However, despite this mild exterior, he rules his department of STRIKE with an iron fist, which only rarely leaves its velvet glove. A few words out of place to Dr. Teufel and more than one employee has found themselves either demoted or fired, with only a bloodless memo and pink slip to show for their insolence. Dr. Teufel, for his part, considers himself first and foremost a promoter of science, whose role is to make sure that his field can elevate those of superior intellect over those he considers to be their inferiors, frequently by using science to harness as much money and power as possible for STRIKE. A dogmatic atheist and amoral businessman at heart, he is the sort who faults Josef Mengele for using a bad methodology that produced useless science, rather than for the content of his experiments.

Uniform/costume: Charles Teufel dresses in immaculately tailored Hugo Boss suits, which all invariably have thin grey pinstripes. His ties are a deep burgundy, and invoke the color of dried blood.

Origin Info/Details: Charles Teufel's career as a scientist began at the age of 13, when he undertook a science fair project to discover how much exposure to heat it would take before the skin of different animals would melt. He used a magnifying glass and a few household pets to do the experiment, much to the horror of his parents and kid sister, Lisa. However, despite his horrific methodology, he got full marks for the project thanks to his perfectionist execution and meticulous collection of data. After graduating from MIT, Charles earned his Medical Degree from Georgetown Medical School, and his PhD in Biochemical Engineering from Yale, where he did his doctoral thesis on how to trick nerve endings into simulating pain or pleasure without damaging the human body. Needless to say, it was no surprise that Charles soon turned his aptitudes towards a lucrative career, first developing stimulants for various pharmaceutical companies, then eventually entering STRIKE as its head of Biochemical Research. While at STRIKE, he became fascinated with the idea of medically inducing superpowers, and recruited Walter Kennedy to help with the project.

Hero Type (Select one):
Normal (Non-powered characters)

Power Level (Select one below):

1. Street Level (Ex. Punisher, Daredevil)

NOTE: Having only one or two powers does not automatically make a character a level 2. The levels reflect how powerful the powers themselves are, not only the variety. A level 3 may be more powerful then a level 4. These levels serve to show where your powerful hero operates, as heroes this powerful may be cosmic wonderers or Earth-bound. Also, Game Masters will be wary of approving level 3 or 4 characters. An extremely well-thought out and great sample post will be needed to be approved for a high level character. Your post should be as powerful as your character.

Powers (Be Specific): None yet.

Attributes (Select one at each category):

Endurance at MAXIMUM Effort: Normal Human

Agility: Normal Human

Fighting Skill: Untrained

Resources: Extreme

NOTE: Even if all attributes chosen are Normal human when Super-Genius, Mastered, and Extreme are chosen for the final three attributes, this player is a level 3 or 4 character, such as Batman.

Weaknesses: Dr. Teufel is physically frail, having spent most of his time in a lab, with very little exertion. Also, lacking empathy as he does, he has great difficulty reading those around him and often makes decisions that don't take into account the human cost. This has served him well in business, but does little to endear him to his employees.

Supporting Characters (Does your character have a significant other? A mother? Friend? Who are they, what do they have to do with your character?): Charles has never been married, and remains estranged from his only surviving family - his younger sister, Lisa Teufel, who runs a treatment care facility for abused children. He is a solitary man whose only relations are with those he works with. However, he has been known to take occasional interest in a bright young scientific mind, and the only people who speak warmly of him are his interns, who have universally gone on to highly respected careers in their fields after working for Dr. Teufel.

List a few reasons why you've created that character: Dr. Teufel is designed to interact with Walter Kennedy. He is a character I came up with in collaboration with Erin.

What can you bring to the RPG?: I make my living writing, so I think I’ll bring some skill in that field to bear. Also, a good sense of plot

p009mj5m_640_360.jpg

Sample Post (Minimum Four paragraphs containing dialogue):

Why, oh why, do the people I have to recruit always look like lab mice that escaped the cage?

I stand at the door of the room where Dr. Walter Kennedy is sitting, looking distracted and unhappy, like so many other scientists I’ve had to meet. However, this man isn’t some insect I can fire. He’s essential to my project and I have to make sure he can be used. Or trusted. Aren’t they the same thing? I never know.

With a quick rap of my knuckles, I open the door and Kennedy starts in his chair. Dear me, this man has no guts at all – probably some idealistic hankerer after science as an abstract ideal. Looking at his hair, I would guess a PhD at Berkeley, at best. He probably has no idea what sort of power he can command. He probably doesn’t even think to command it. Still, must try to be polite. He is so essential.

"Doctor Kennedy?" I smile – softly, as per usual, so as not to put him too off-guard. He stands up and offers me his hand, which I take, smiling inwardly at the weakness of his grip. This man will be easy to manipulate.

“And you are?”

"Doctor Teufel. Charles Teufel," I respond idly. "Head of the Bio-Chemical Research Department here at STRIKE."

He sits without leave. That’s alright. He’s a scientist, and we can’t all have manners.

"There's a rumor going around that you left a very interesting message with one of our receptionists,” I say, sitting opposite him.

His reaction convinces me I’ve got him where I want him. He starts sputting, sweating, and explaining. They always do that when they don’t realize they hit the big time. I decide to put him at ease.

“You know how it goes,” I chuckle, more at him than to myself, “Big bureau like this gets a lot of prank calls. But yours wasn’t a prank, was it, Dr. Kennedy?”

I’ve got him now. He’s interested. I open the file – oh, not his file, to be sure – no, this is something I’ve been poring over myself for months - years. The theories for what I’ve wanted are all there. So breathtakingly close, and yet tragically incomplete. Like someone had hacked out part of the Mona Lisa. But he doesn’t know what he’s found. Not yet.

Kennedy eyes the yellowed, charred contents of the folder curiously. Good, he’s interested.

“Do you have any idea what these are?” I ask him, only for the first time paying attention to what this mousy little man does. He claims ignorance. The man is either smarter than he looks or breathtakingly stupid enough to lie about filching someone else’s research. He’s sweating too much for me to think it’s the latter, though. Guilty people who steal research generally don’t sweat. They’re using too much energy figuring out how to pretend they came up with the product on their own. And his hands aren’t fidgeting nearly enough.

"In the 1940s,” I explain slowly, drawing out the suspense, “a series of experiments was done on rats, trying to develop a super soldier for the Allies. One series came very close. What's interesting is that from what we can tell from these lab notes, the serum worked in much the same way you alluded to over the phone."

"Is that so? I had no idea."

No, you wouldn’t, would you? That’s why I’m sitting here talking to you, instead of mocking you in the nearest scientific journal, little man.

"We've been trying to recreate the effects ourselves, with no luck," I continue, "to better understand the metahuman phenomenon."

Understand. I think that word will go down well with him. He doesn’t seem phased by the idea, which is the important part.

“Unfortunately, the laboratory burned down before the experiments went much further, and the project was shut down. This is all the salvagable information from the tests.”

Now he looks nervous. Good – that means this is new information to him. He mutters something that I don’t catch, and I’m not interested anyway. Time to go for the jugular.

“So tell me,” my voice slowly slides into inquisitorial terrain as I slap the file shut, “how is it that you arrived at the same conclusion as a scientist seventy-five years ago with no prior knowledge of his work?”

It takes everything for me not to laugh. He looks like a schoolboy caught with his pants down behind the bleachers. If he’s surprised enough to look that guilty, there’s only one possible explanation for any of this – the brilliant fool must not have known. He must have concocted his beautiful revision of these maddeningly incomplete notes all on his own. He is the man I want, after all.

“Well, I...I guess I don't know what to tell you,” he says. “Given enough time... well, it's conceivable that someone was bound to have the same theories."

"Indeed,” I drop the word after a long silence, letting him sweat a bit longer so he can think he’s been subject to my mercy. That will set the terms for the conversation later. "Of course, you're right Dr. Kennedy, and I'll let you in on a little secret: The boys downstairs are downright lost. Too young, I say, to know the first thing about bio-chemistry. So excited about gene sequence and DNA, and entirely unable to make heads or tails of the whole situation."

During this time, we’ve both stood and now it seems right to lay on the charm with this frightened little genius I’ve found. I wrap my arm around his shoulders and direct him toward the elevator, speaking in a low, conspiratorial, almost kind tone so as to lull him into my power. He starts to babble about gene sequences, then stops and gives me the most hilariously underwhelming attempt at an intimidating look in the history of science.

“This research,” he says in a mock sombre voice that makes me fight to keep a smile down, “Is only to be used for good. No...no genocide, or....or WMDs or anything like that, right? Only research for the sake of understanding. Right?”

It’s too much. I do laugh, doing my best to make it sound nonchalant rather than mocking. I can’t let him know what I want this stuff for, obviously – an idealist like him will raise too much of a stink, and I can’t afford to wait for someone else. Better to lie.

“WMDs. You're very good, Dr. Kennedy.” I smile as though the whole thing is one big joke. “No, of course you're right. Science for the sake of knowledge. If we better understand each other, well... it's not in anyone's best interest to let the things that have been happening keep happening, now is it?”

“No, I can't say it is.”

Good boy.

"What we need is some new blood, or rather some old blood, if you'll pardon the pun." I turn to Kennedy, and for the first time, allow myself to smile genuinely at the victory I’ve achieved. My next words are the only sincere ones I’ve said in this entire meeting. "What we need is you, Dr. Kennedy, and I think you'll find our research facility quite to your liking."

The door of the elevator dings shut, and he is mine.

Last edited:
A dogmatic atheist and amoral businessman at heart, he is the sort who faults Josef Mengele for using a bad methodology that produced useless science, rather than for the content of his experiments.

Aaaannnd.... Godwinned.

Character you have created: Dr. Charles Teufel, Head of Biochemical Research at STRIKE
Alias: None

Speech Color (Actually say what you're using, don't go "Like this", or what not): Red

Character Alignment: Villain

Identity: Known

Character Personality (Give information on how your character acts, what he/she believes in, how they handle situations): Charles Teufel appears on the surface to be a mild-mannered, even tempered man with a dry sense of humor and an unflappable air of calm authority. However, despite this mild exterior, he rules his department of STRIKE with an iron fist, which only rarely leaves its velvet glove. A few words out of place to Dr. Teufel and more than one employee has found themselves either demoted or fired, with only a bloodless memo and pink slip to show for their insolence. Dr. Teufel, for his part, considers himself first and foremost a promoter of science, whose role is to make sure that his field can elevate those of superior intellect over those he considers to be their inferiors, frequently by using science to harness as much money and power as possible for STRIKE. A dogmatic atheist and amoral businessman at heart, he is the sort who faults Josef Mengele for using a bad methodology that produced useless science, rather than for the content of his experiments.

Uniform/costume: Charles Teufel dresses in immaculately tailored Hugo Boss suits, which all invariably have thin grey pinstripes. His ties are a deep burgundy, and invoke the color of dried blood.

Origin Info/Details: Charles Teufel's career as a scientist began at the age of 13, when he undertook a science fair project to discover how much exposure to heat it would take before the skin of different animals would melt. He used a magnifying glass and a few household pets to do the experiment, much to the horror of his parents and kid sister, Lisa. However, despite his horrific methodology, he got full marks for the project thanks to his perfectionist execution and meticulous collection of data. After graduating from MIT, Charles earned his Medical Degree from Georgetown Medical School, and his PhD in Biochemical Engineering from Yale, where he did his doctoral thesis on how to trick nerve endings into simulating pain or pleasure without damaging the human body. Needless to say, it was no surprise that Charles soon turned his aptitudes towards a lucrative career, first developing stimulants for various pharmaceutical companies, then eventually entering STRIKE as its head of Biochemical Research. While at STRIKE, he became fascinated with the idea of medically inducing superpowers, and recruited Walter Kennedy to help with the project.

Hero Type (Select one):
Normal (Non-powered characters)

Power Level (Select one below):

1. Street Level (Ex. Punisher, Daredevil)

NOTE: Having only one or two powers does not automatically make a character a level 2. The levels reflect how powerful the powers themselves are, not only the variety. A level 3 may be more powerful then a level 4. These levels serve to show where your powerful hero operates, as heroes this powerful may be cosmic wonderers or Earth-bound. Also, Game Masters will be wary of approving level 3 or 4 characters. An extremely well-thought out and great sample post will be needed to be approved for a high level character. Your post should be as powerful as your character.

Powers (Be Specific): None yet.

Attributes (Select one at each category):

Endurance at MAXIMUM Effort: Normal Human

Agility: Normal Human

Fighting Skill: Untrained

Resources: Extreme

NOTE: Even if all attributes chosen are Normal human when Super-Genius, Mastered, and Extreme are chosen for the final three attributes, this player is a level 3 or 4 character, such as Batman.

Weaknesses: Dr. Teufel is physically frail, having spent most of his time in a lab, with very little exertion. Also, lacking empathy as he does, he has great difficulty reading those around him and often makes decisions that don't take into account the human cost. This has served him well in business, but does little to endear him to his employees.

Supporting Characters (Does your character have a significant other? A mother? Friend? Who are they, what do they have to do with your character?): Charles has never been married, and remains estranged from his only surviving family - his younger sister, Lisa Teufel, who runs a treatment care facility for abused children. He is a solitary man whose only relations are with those he works with. However, he has been known to take occasional interest in a bright young scientific mind, and the only people who speak warmly of him are his interns, who have universally gone on to highly respected careers in their fields after working for Dr. Teufel.

List a few reasons why you've created that character: Dr. Teufel is designed to interact with Walter Kennedy. He is a character I came up with in collaboration with Erin.

What can you bring to the RPG?: I make my living writing, so I think I’ll bring some skill in that field to bear. Also, a good sense of plot

p009mj5m_640_360.jpg

Sample Post (Minimum Four paragraphs containing dialogue):

Why, oh why, do the people I have to recruit always look like lab mice that escaped the cage?

I stand at the door of the room where Dr. Walter Kennedy is sitting, looking distracted and unhappy, like so many other scientists I’ve had to meet. However, this man isn’t some insect I can fire. He’s essential to my project and I have to make sure he can be used. Or trusted. Aren’t they the same thing? I never know.

With a quick rap of my knuckles, I open the door and Kennedy starts in his chair. Dear me, this man has no guts at all – probably some idealistic hankerer after science as an abstract ideal. Looking at his hair, I would guess a PhD at Berkeley, at best. He probably has no idea what sort of power he can command. He probably doesn’t even think to command it. Still, must try to be polite. He is so essential.

"Doctor Kennedy?" I smile – softly, as per usual, so as not to put him too off-guard. He stands up and offers me his hand, which I take, smiling inwardly at the weakness of his grip. This man will be easy to manipulate.

“And you are?”

"Doctor Teufel. Charles Teufel," I respond idly. "Head of the Bio-Chemical Research Department here at STRIKE."

He sits without leave. That’s alright. He’s a scientist, and we can’t all have manners.

"There's a rumor going around that you left a very interesting message with one of our receptionists,” I say, sitting opposite him.

His reaction convinces me I’ve got him where I want him. He starts sputting, sweating, and explaining. They always do that when they don’t realize they hit the big time. I decide to put him at ease.

“You know how it goes,” I chuckle, more at him than to myself, “Big bureau like this gets a lot of prank calls. But yours wasn’t a prank, was it, Dr. Kennedy?”

I’ve got him now. He’s interested. I open the file – oh, not his file, to be sure – no, this is something I’ve been poring over myself for months - years. The theories for what I’ve wanted are all there. So breathtakingly close, and yet tragically incomplete. Like someone had hacked out part of the Mona Lisa. But he doesn’t know what he’s found. Not yet.

Kennedy eyes the yellowed, charred contents of the folder curiously. Good, he’s interested.

“Do you have any idea what these are?” I ask him, only for the first time paying attention to what this mousy little man does. He claims ignorance. The man is either smarter than he looks or breathtakingly stupid enough to lie about filching someone else’s research. He’s sweating too much for me to think it’s the latter, though. Guilty people who steal research generally don’t sweat. They’re using too much energy figuring out how to pretend they came up with the product on their own. And his hands aren’t fidgeting nearly enough.

"In the 1940s,” I explain slowly, drawing out the suspense, “a series of experiments was done on rats, trying to develop a super soldier for the Allies. One series came very close. What's interesting is that from what we can tell from these lab notes, the serum worked in much the same way you alluded to over the phone."

"Is that so? I had no idea."

No, you wouldn’t, would you? That’s why I’m sitting here talking to you, instead of mocking you in the nearest scientific journal, little man.

"We've been trying to recreate the effects ourselves, with no luck," I continue, "to better understand the metahuman phenomenon."

Understand. I think that word will go down well with him. He doesn’t seem phased by the idea, which is the important part.

“Unfortunately, the laboratory burned down before the experiments went much further, and the project was shut down. This is all the salvagable information from the tests.”

Now he looks nervous. Good – that means this is new information to him. He mutters something that I don’t catch, and I’m not interested anyway. Time to go for the jugular.

“So tell me,” my voice slowly slides into inquisitorial terrain as I slap the file shut, “how is it that you arrived at the same conclusion as a scientist seventy-five years ago with no prior knowledge of his work?”

It takes everything for me not to laugh. He looks like a schoolboy caught with his pants down behind the bleachers. If he’s surprised enough to look that guilty, there’s only one possible explanation for any of this – the brilliant fool must not have known. He must have concocted his beautiful revision of these maddeningly incomplete notes all on his own. He is the man I want, after all.

“Well, I...I guess I don't know what to tell you,” he says. “Given enough time... well, it's conceivable that someone was bound to have the same theories."

"Indeed,” I drop the word after a long silence, letting him sweat a bit longer so he can think he’s been subject to my mercy. That will set the terms for the conversation later. "Of course, you're right Dr. Kennedy, and I'll let you in on a little secret: The boys downstairs are downright lost. Too young, I say, to know the first thing about bio-chemistry. So excited about gene sequence and DNA, and entirely unable to make heads or tails of the whole situation."

During this time, we’ve both stood and now it seems right to lay on the charm with this frightened little genius I’ve found. I wrap my arm around his shoulders and direct him toward the elevator, speaking in a low, conspiratorial, almost kind tone so as to lull him into my power. He starts to babble about gene sequences, then stops and gives me the most hilariously underwhelming attempt at an intimidating look in the history of science.

“This research,” he says in a mock sombre voice that makes me fight to keep a smile down, “Is only to be used for good. No...no genocide, or....or WMDs or anything like that, right? Only research for the sake of understanding. Right?”

It’s too much. I do laugh, doing my best to make it sound nonchalant rather than mocking. I can’t let him know what I want this stuff for, obviously – an idealist like him will raise too much of a stink, and I can’t afford to wait for someone else. Better to lie.

“WMDs. You're very good, Dr. Kennedy.” I smile as though the whole thing is one big joke. “No, of course you're right. Science for the sake of knowledge. If we better understand each other, well... it's not in anyone's best interest to let the things that have been happening keep happening, now is it?”

“No, I can't say it is.”

Good boy.

"What we need is some new blood, or rather some old blood, if you'll pardon the pun." I turn to Kennedy, and for the first time, allow myself to smile genuinely at the victory I’ve achieved. My next words are the only sincere ones I’ve said in this entire meeting. "What we need is you, Dr. Kennedy, and I think you'll find our research facility quite to your liking."

The door of the elevator dings shut, and he is mine.

Approved. Welcome aboard

Hooray, Maistro! I KNOW HIM!

Before anyone snipes "bunnying" at me - that last post was a joint post written by myself and NiteMare via Windows Live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"