The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Not sure I agree with this haha.

Lex Luthor, General Zod, Braniac, Intergang, Manchester Black and the Elite, Doomsday, Parasite, Bizzaro, Metallo, Mxyzptlk, Livewire, Mongul...

Pretty good rogues gallery without even getting into the New Gods.
Yeah but going one by one with them...

Lex Luthor: We've seen him a lot in Superman films so I doubt he'd be Gunn's primary villain in the first film.
Zod: Same story as Lex Luthor.
Brainiac: He's great but he's too big of a threat for a first film maybe.
Intergang: Maaaybe there's something there but I'm still skeptical as to whether they can hold an entire film.
Manchester Black: A better fit for a Superman in a later stage of his career.
Doomsday: You can't really do him in a first movie can you.
Parasite: Doesn't really seem like the type of villain that could hold an entire film either.
Metallo: Same story as Parasite.
Bizzarro: He... could work but because he's so dumb I'm again skeptical of an entire movie centered around him.
Mxyzptlk: I know Gunn is whacky but that seems bizarre to kick off the universe.
Livewire: Maaybe? Still, Lobo seems more thematically interesting.
Mongul: Too big for a first film.

Lobo has a memorable personality, mirrors Superman's origins in a twisted way, is an alien just like Clark is, and can probably be used in a way that makes Superman evolve as a character in his first movie in an interesting way, plus with him being a bounty hounter you can play a lot in terms of plot of who would have hired him.

The thing is that most of Superman villains suck so having to resort to someone like Lobo who at least has a memorable personality sounds like a reasonable thing to do for a film, especially a first film where they presumably don't want to go super big from the get-go.
Alright, that’s enough out of you. :o

Okay, my bad. Maybe they don't /suck/ as individual characters per se, but the prospect of an entire movie centered around Parasite or Metallo doesn't really work imo. They work fine for single issues and episodic short stories, which is where they were created, but they don't really work if the ideal is to tell a 2 hour blockbuster movie. The ones that do work for that are typically extremely big threats that in the context of a 10 year plan for a DCU would be wiser to keep for a bit.

I dunno, I think you can tweak characters like Parasite or Metallo into a great fit for a movie. Particularly if you're inevitably going to use Luthor and want a secondary antagonist who we haven't seen before.
Yeah but when the choice is between either tweaking those characters to make sure they can be used as the main threat of a movie, or just using Lobo... I can see why Gunn would just use Lobo. Plus they could still appear, just not as the primary threats.

Lobo is one of the worst, most cringey characters in all of mainstream comics. Just thought I'd throw that out there while we're at it, too. There's no story he will improve. The KISS reject that pretty much instantly became the very thing he was trying to spoof - might as well be the comic book anti-hero version of Glee. And I trust James Gunn to steer this ship about as much as I'd trust Ryan Murphy, so ya know, I guess it fits. :o

Lobo is one of the worst, most cringey characters in all of mainstream comics. Just thought I'd throw that out there while we're at it, too. There's no story he will improve. The KISS reject that pretty much instantly became the very thing he was trying to spoof - might as well be the comic book anti-hero version of Glee. And I trust James Gunn to steer this ship about as much as I'd trust Ryan Murphy, so ya know, I guess it fits. :o
See, Lobo is a character I find atrociously lame but he's also the exact kind of character I think Gunn would elevate enormously. But aside from my main squeeze Matt Reeves, James Gunn is the filmmaker working in the superhero genre whose work most closely aligns with my sensibilities thematically and stylistically so I trust him pretty implicitly on this.

See, Lobo is a character I find atrociously lame but he's also the exact kind of character I think Gunn would elevate enormously. But aside from my main squeeze Matt Reeves, James Gunn is the filmmaker working in the superhero genre whose work most closely aligns with my sensibilities thematically and stylistically so I trust him pretty implicitly on this.
Yes, you and I view the work of James Gunn very very differently, clearly lol.

That’s enough out of you too. :o

That’s enough out of you too. :o
Y'all will all see the light, and I won't even be able to enjoy it. I gave Snyder the benefit of the doubt on MoS despite hating his creative sensibilities because at least he had the Nolan endorsement. I ain't that naive kid anymore. :o

"Edgy" humor that's actually misogyny/racism hiding as "jokes", combined with attempts at "heart" that are actually pure manipulative and unearned saccharine? Nope, can't imagine that. :o
Zachary Quinto as Lex, Evan Peters as Jimmy, Darren Criss as Superman, Sarah Paulson as Martha Kent, Dylan McDermott as Jor-El, Emma Roberts as Lois Lane, and Jessica Lange as some Kryptonian Elder Queen. :o

And Superman's suit will leave very little to the imagination.

Zachary Quinto as Lex, Evan Peters as Jimmy, Darren Criss as Superman, Sarah Paulson as Martha Kent, Dylan McDermott as Jor-El, Emma Roberts as Lois Lane, and Jessica Lange as some Kryptonian Elder Queen. :o

As if Evan Peters fans would allow him such a healthy, non-creeper role as Jimmy Olsen.

I maintain Parasite would be an ideal villain for a first Superman movie. Selflessness vs selfishness distilled to an easily digestible, visually interesting villain that would challenge Supes's mind as well as his powers (since just beating him up would only serve to strengthen him), and has had just enough iterations and is juuust far down on the totem pole of popularity that you've got room to tweak and tailor him as you see fit.

He did voice him in that mediocre animated movie (Superman: Man Of Tomorrow).

If you want legitimate crazy for toyman, then jack black.

Lobo COULD be done, as could Brainiac, in the first film.

Have Brainiac hire Lobo to capture the last known Kryptonian.
Lobo fails, so Brainiac will have to come himself ( in a sequel ) to do the job.

The thing is that most of Superman villains suck so having to resort to someone like Lobo who at least has a memorable personality sounds like a reasonable thing to do for a film, especially a first film where they presumably don't want to go super big from the get-go.

That's your opinion, but general comicbook fans don't share it. Superman's rogues are well regarded but they are somewhat underwhelming when compared to Superman's iconic stature.
Batman and Spider-man's rogues are commonly viewed as the cream of the crop but Superman's foes would make most top 5 lists.
I personally think Spidy's foes are the most overrated and this is coming from a big time Spidy fan and to this day no one can give me an answer as to why they think Spidy's foes are better than Supes's.

As for the main man, well to me he's the embodiment of the 90's comicbook era, namely loud, brash, hollow and "edgy" for the sake of being edgy! And remember that it was in the 90s that comicbooks sales and popularity went to s**t. Superman can and should do a hell of lot better than a reject Gene Simmons, who ironically happens to be a big Superman fan.

Superman villains don't suck, there just aren't a lot of them

It depends on what you mean by a lot because with the likes of Lex, Brainy, Cyborg Sman, Bizarro, Metallo, Parasite, Zod, Faora, Mongul, Darkseid, Doomsday, Mxy, Toyman, Livewire, Maxima, Machester Black and Eradicator you've got well over a dozen foes that can be (and have been) utilized to great effect by a half decent writer. I personally would call that A LOT.

Yeah but going one by one with them...

Lex Luthor: We've seen him a lot in Superman films so I doubt he'd be Gunn's primary villain in the first film.
Zod: Same story as Lex Luthor.
Brainiac: He's great but he's too big of a threat for a first film maybe.
Intergang: Maaaybe there's something there but I'm still skeptical as to whether they can hold an entire film.
Manchester Black: A better fit for a Superman in a later stage of his career.
Doomsday: You can't really do him in a first movie can you.
Parasite: Doesn't really seem like the type of villain that could hold an entire film either.
Metallo: Same story as Parasite.
Bizzarro: He... could work but because he's so dumb I'm again skeptical of an entire movie centered around him.
Mxyzptlk: I know Gunn is whacky but that seems bizarre to kick off the universe.
Livewire: Maaybe? Still, Lobo seems more thematically interesting.
Mongul: Too big for a first film.

I agree on Lex and Zod but to say that Brainy, Chester Black, Doomsday and Mongul can't be used because they're "too big for a first movie" is...bewildering to say the least. For a character like Superman (who has had nothing but failure when it comes to movies ever since Superman III) you have to start with a sonic boom BANG from the very first movie! Because history indicates that there might not be a sequel to "save" the big villains for.
I think A loose adaptation of Johns's "brainiac" story line or a direct adaptation of Action 775 would be perfect for James Gunn's Superman "origin movie that's not supposed to be an origin" movie.
Mxy handled the way of Alan Moore would be quite a sight especially if they decide to go with "the wizard behind the curtains" route rather than the nicolodean reject versions of Mxy we've seen in the past. Think Batman's "requem for a dream" but it's Superman who is placed in a dream like state and it's mxy who is the author of the dream instead of Mad Hatter.

Regarding Parasite, I actually think he's Superman's most underrated villain, unlike Metallo or Bizarro, Parasite isn't just suited for B-villain status. I mean the guy can challenge Superman physically (because of the nature of his absorptive power) and mentally (weaking Superman and forcing him to use his head) not to mention the fact that he's often aware of Superman's secret ID and can pose a threat to CK as well. I still have the bronze age arc where Raymond Jensen decides to attack CK instead of Superman and sets poor Clark up for espionage (something that CK can't get out of using his muscles). Another solid Parasite story is "Earth one volume II" even if I wasn't the biggest fan of those graphic novels.

Lastly, regarding Lobo being more thematically interesting than Livewire...well I have to disagree. Livewire in certain stories (Superman adventure 5) sees herself as a feminist icon who is the antithesis of male chauvinism and superiority represented by Superman. I think that's quite relevant in today's era of woke politics.

Ultimately, it's Superman/CK that matters and nothing else. Any successful superman story has to be built around him, his character and his journey. The villain should be chosen based on how he or she is able to help advance that journey.

Haven't officially settled on a director - even though it's obviously Gunn - let alone who is playing Superman or a release date (Christmas 2025 at the latest). But they've already decided the villain will be Lobo and that it will be Momoa?

Not sure where people are getting that from.

Momoa's Lobo (assuming that is legit - and I do buy it) gets his own movie first.

As for the villain, were it not for being a tad too similar to the Ridder - as portrayed in The Batman - I would have put my money on Toyman. But where it stands, my absolute pure guess is the Parasite.

Gunn loves to be cryptic and drop hints. He will give a hint on who it will be, if he hasn't already.

Not saying He will be Lobo for sure but if Gunn is writing he would know that he is gonna use Lobo and Momoa casting is simply convenient

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"