The Dark Knight The Dark Knight Anime Tie in DVD (Gotham Knight)

If it's a mature anime style, I can stomach it. If it's that horrible **** they're dishing out today, no thank you.

Yup. Pretty much.

But I guess if different people are going to be doing different episodes then there's going to be varying styles: Both good and bad.

I just hope it's not TOTALLY exclusive to Japanese directors and we get one episode done Bruce Timm style. If only for old time's sake.

sorry, Gabe, but I gotta claim that I posted this yesterday.

CHECK THIS LITTLE BIT OUT

I went to a focus group yesterday in a near by hotel. The topic was animation, specifically anime. We talked about Robotech, Voltron, Akira, Spirited Away, etc. I brought up Anime Erotica.

I brought up how there are plans for an anime version of Batman and from that point on the girl leading the focus grouped continued to ask our opinions of what we thought of them taking an popular American concept and making it anime. Someone else in the group said that it already existed with "The Batman" to which I said was crap and that they turned the Riddler into an emo drag queen (I think I got term from this site).

I found that very interesting and it turned out was whole point of the focus group. They unvelied several titles for this Batman DVD prequel, one being "Batman: The Dark Knight Chronicles"

It turns out it will be one story arc with six episodes all indiviually directed by six different leading directors from Japan.

I did the 1pm focus group.

i dont see why alot of you are hating on anime, I think it beats most of the animation done in western countries by far. And it will hopefully give an interesting, mature and stylish spin on Chris Nolan's take of the character. I assume alot of people associate anime with dragon ball and gundam i seriously doubt we'll get something like that (then agen it IS WB) They seem to be going the way of Animatrix with this, which is a brilliant idea, because i thought those collection of animations were superior to the movies themselves (yes, even the first matrix) I think if they bring talent like shinichiro watanabe (cowboy bebop, samurai champloo).

Animatrix did wonders for anime, in the sense that it made my friends look down on me less for watching anime lol. Its to be expected, animatrix had a big all star directing cast doing their pieces, (guy who did Ninja scroll, the people who did final fantasy spirits within, Aeon Flux cartoon fella, above mentioned Watanabe) i can only hope the same respect will be given to "the dark knight chronicles" if that is what it should be called.

Anime sucks. Period.

You're dismissing the entire animation output of an entire country with one, stupid, blanket statement.

That's as stupid as saying "all Swedish animation sucks" or "all English animation sucks".

Japanese animation is not one style, it's a huge variety of styles, just like every other nation's animation.

What the hell is with the WB's obsession with making American anime?

I don't know, but they should really stop. Either make anime or make American animation, but for the love of God no more of this hybrid stuff. And for the naysayers...

[YT]CqU7kn13kkM[/YT]

This is what a well-done anime looks like. This is what quality animation in general should be like with serious material like Batman.

This is what a well-done anime looks like. This is what quality animation in general should be like with serious material like Batman.

That clip demonstrated many of the things I hate about most anime. Obviously I hate the sweat drops, and the flying kicks that are nothing mor than a still of a chracter with speed lines flying past them, but I realize these is not in all anime. However, this video is just as bad. Sure, the designs aren't as terrible as say, Pokemon or Teen Titans or whatever, but it was just lazy. The chraacter's movements are choppy, the animation has no fluidity. And the lip sync, God. Either the lips aren't moving in a manner that corresponds with the dialogue (there's like, two variations; open and closed), or a huge portion of the dialogue takes place with the character's mouths offscreen. And then there's the overuse of stills, such as that one still down the corridor, the character's are practically off screen, talking, yet they manage to hold it for like, four-five seconds. And a five second pan across his unmoving eyes? At least give me a freaking blink. Some of the fighting's kind of impressive, at least in terms of direction, but for fairly realistically designed characters, they sure move in unhuman ways, and even here the animation is still choppy. Sorry, but I just don't like it. And I'm not saying all anime is bad, but most of what I've seen is, and that doesn't encourage me to search out the so-called "good stuff." I'll still buy this Batman DVD, and I'll give it a chance, but as of this point, I'm not happy with the anime style. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised an the animation will rock, maybe not. As long as it's got a strong story and voice acting, I'll be able to live with it.

When he said they are probably going to get fan favorites kinda like in the Animatrix episodes. I know some people will give me **** for this but I forget his name. Who is the one that did a short for Animatrix and created Aeon Flux? I always felt his style was kinda weird with the super long legs/arms and anorexic bodies but It would be cool to at least see some concept art of his take on the Joker.

Yeah, that's Peter Chung. You're right, that would be interesting to watch. He also did a Phantom cartoon in the 90s:

DeneroffHearst4.gif

phan-sm.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0wj79Rtf8Rw (damn it, how do we embed youtube videos again?)

I always thought it would be cool to use animated character designs based on Tim Sale's style for a Batman cartoon. Not the exact designs he uses, but his way of drawing people... a Sale-like caricature of Bale, for example. SaleBale.

I agree with what I think most people are trying to say, that I don't want a typical Japanese anime character designs for this project, but apart from that there's nothing wrong with this being anime influenced.

Tying this in with the rest of the on-film DCU sounds absolutely ****ing fantastic, too. Seeing animated Bale and Routh team up or something? Awesome!

Yeah. They better get Bale and the gang for the English voice acting.

Yes, and if that is impossible for whatever reason, at least get really good sound-alikes. If this is supposed to be a continuation of the films universe and the same incarnation of batman/superman than the voices need to sound the same

That clip demonstrated many of the things I hate about most anime. Obviously I hate the sweat drops, and the flying kicks that are nothing mor than a still of a chracter with speed lines flying past them, but I realize these is not in all anime. However, this video is just as bad. Sure, the designs aren't as terrible as say, Pokemon or Teen Titans or whatever, but it was just lazy. The chraacter's movements are choppy, the animation has no fluidity. And the lip sync, God. Either the lips aren't moving in a manner that corresponds with the dialogue (there's like, two variations; open and closed), or a huge portion of the dialogue takes place with the character's mouths offscreen. And then there's the overuse of stills, such as that one still down the corridor, the character's are practically off screen, talking, yet they manage to hold it for like, four-five seconds. And a five second pan across his unmoving eyes? At least give me a freaking blink. Some of the fighting's kind of impressive, at least in terms of direction, but for fairly realistically designed characters, they sure move in unhuman ways, and even here the animation is still choppy. Sorry, but I just don't like it. And I'm not saying all anime is bad, but most of what I've seen is, and that doesn't encourage me to search out the so-called "good stuff." I'll still buy this Batman DVD, and I'll give it a chance, but as of this point, I'm not happy with the anime style. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised an the animation will rock, maybe not. As long as it's got a strong story and voice acting, I'll be able to live with it.

/wall of text

Some of Peter Chung's stuff (the Phantom 2040 animation and The Animatrix) is good. Some of his other stuff (Reign: The Conqueror and Æon Flux) is pretty bad. The man's a mixed bag, and I'm not sure that's what's needed in convincing the fanbase.

I think it's interesting that they'll be using this anime 'series' to tie together all of the films in the DC movieverse...unless I misread something.

I already don't like anime. If they don't provide the voices, I probably won't get this.

Speaking of Bale, he has a history with anime.

He was recently a voice actor in Howl's Moving Castle by the legendary Hiyao Miyazaki.

Hopefully he'll voice Bats in one of these.

Edit: Oh boy, my syntax was off. Anyway, Bale was Howl.

Batman meets Evangelion.

please.

get Hidekai Anno (spelling) to direct one of these.

sorry, Gabe, but I gotta claim that I posted this yesterday.

I did the 1pm focus group.

ah dude, I'm sorry. I didn't even check to original tie in thread, or even if there was another thread.

did you get my name from another thread or do you know me personally?

I think it's interesting that they'll be using this anime 'series' to tie together all of the films in the DC movieverse...unless I misread something.

they hinted at it, and I encouraged it very enthusiasticly, but who knows what they'll do.[?]

Hideaki Anno...hmm...he definitely understands how to create characters with mature psychological undertones, but after End of Evangelion I lost a lot of faith in his work. That was just a really messy way to end that series. I don't want to see a repeat of that with an iconic character like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"