The Dark Knight The Dark Knight General Discussion Thread

My only regret with seeing TDK back in the day; was not seeing it in IMAX!

Still, my favorite movie experience ever. Happy 15th to the GOAT!
Same. I saw it at a midnight premiere here in Rhode island. We were second in line luckily, and man, the entire theater was sold out. The dead silence during the hostage tape and the boat scene, the pencil trick reaction, the massive round of applause at the end. I just wish I had experienced it in IMAX.

It was back then when buying tickets online wasn't the norm so me and my friends really thought we could stroll on opening day and get a ticket. We actually drove 40 minutes to another city to see it, find out they were sold out, and then drove another 40 minutes back to where they were showing it in IMAX.

We called the theater on the way to make sure they still have tickets for the non-IMAX showings and they said they did until we got there (stole someone's parking spot btw) and they had a sign posted that they were also sold out for that showtime. Lucky for us they added a couple more showtimes, so we saw it at 11 pm, and thankfully it was their biggest screen that wasn't IMAX. If I remember correctly they added even more showtimes that night that started around 2 am. I still don't think any movie experience has ever come close to that.

Man, in a way I feel like it's kind of unfair that the vast majority of people didn't get to experience it that way for the first time, or maybe ever. It's almost like they didn't quite see the same movie. I firmly believe that's a big reason why it's stuck with me all this time and subsequent Batman movies just haven't felt as 'big' (literally) for me. It just overpowers you from the iconic opening frame.

If I remember correctly they added even more showtimes that night that started around 2 am. I still don't think any movie experience has ever come close to that.

If you're referring to Lincoln Square, that 2am show was my 'sorta' first date with my wife.

It's crazy to think about that now. Any movie that starts after 9pm is a roll of the dice of whether I can stay awake. :funny:

Yeah there was no reserved seating at my theater either, so I had to orchestrate the best time to get to the cinema, based on my previous midnight premiere experiences. the previous year, i had done the same for Spider-Man 3 and had gotten great seats, so it all worked out in the end and it was the biggest screen in the whole theater too, so even though it wasn't IMAX, it was still enough. I still go to that same theater today, although it's no longer "showcase cinemas". there's a bigger showcase cinemas about 15 minutes away from that one, so during covid they closed it down, and then re-opened in 2022 under the name Apple Cinemas.

The closest IMAX is actually only about 15 minutes away in the opposite direction in Providence. I often didn't go because it's in a 3 floor mall and having to do that every time, and find parking, is just a mega pain. Luckily, I'll be doing it for Oppenhiemer tomorrow for that 70mm showing.

regardless though, even without IMAX, my first viewing of The Dark Knight was unforgettable. It's still, to this day, the greatest theater experience of my life. The energy in that room, I mean, you feel the sense of awe of what we were witnessing in real time. You knew everything had changed when it was over. I went with a friend who used pieces of tape to spell out "RIP Heath" on the back of his joker shirt, which I thought was super cool. I really miss those days, and I feel like it's just been lost with the amount of media thrown at us today. Waiting in line used to be so much fun, especially for a movie you were really anticipating. Waiting in line for Endgame was fun, but it just felt like a different vibe and I think the last time it felt really special was for The Force Awakens. I actually have nostalgia for Force Awakens hype now, which just goes to show how fast the years have gone by haha. TDK feels more like 20 years ago rather than 15.

Last edited:
So many years later and this still feels like one of, if not the only comic book films that felt like an event. Like the thing that even non comic book fans turned out in droves to see. Nowadays, that very first image of Ledger would be dropped on Twitter and go viral.

But back then? The marketing folks had to work their butts off to make sure the discussion and buildup stayed in the conversation, and it paid off. In the days before advanced seating, we ended up sitting near the front that evening, but it did not lessen the viewing experience at all.

Besides the pencil trick, the "I'm a man of my word" scene was the moment when a friend and I just looked at each other and thought 'Oh, this is that kind of movie!'

So many years later and this still feels like one of, if not the only comic book films that felt like an event. Like the thing that even non comic book fans turned out in droves to see. Nowadays, that very first image of Ledger would be dropped on Twitter and go viral.

But back then? The marketing folks had to work their butts off to make sure the discussion and buildup stayed in the conversation, and it paid off. In the days before advanced seating, we ended up sitting near the front that evening, but it did not lessen the viewing experience at all.

Besides the pencil trick, the "I'm a man of my word" scene was the moment when a friend and I just looked at each other and thought 'Oh, this is that kind of movie!'

No joke, this scene left me and the entire theater speechless. It was horrifying and yet so special at the same time. Not to get too off topic, but one thing I really admire is how the laughs are from the Joker in this movie. Instead of being over done in the traditional Joker way, each laugh was like a pipe bomb because while there was only a few, that made each of them more impactful. The hostage tape one, which is still my favorite, was so scary because you didn't even see it coming. It sounded demonic.

Last edited:

I was born in 1992 and within that bracket the only comic book films that have felt like an event were Raimi’s first Spider-Man film and The Dark Knight. In both cases the marketing for them was everywhere, and as you said it attracted people who wouldn’t normally be interested in superhero films. I think younger people would say Endgame, but I just never got that same sense of anticipation that I did with those two aforementioned films. A lot of that is partially due to the fact that movies are marketed in a much different way now than they were 15-20 years ago.

However, expanding beyond my lifetime I don’t think there’s been a better marketing campaign for superhero film than the one used for Tim Burton’s Batman in 1989. By all accounts the Batsymbol became omnipresent back then. Everybody was wearing Batman apparel, and it even became fashionable to get the Batsymbol shaved into your hair. For as crazy as it did get in 2008, it never reached that kind of fever pitch.

Was anyone here around for the early marketing? I remember watching that pumpkin slowly rotting every day and all of us wondering what would happen when it did.

The Dark Knight: Transmedia Brilliance Part 2
While we’re talking about our regrets regarding The Dark Knight, I wish I would’ve participated in the ARG game. I was aware of it but the scavenger hunts and promotional tours weren’t happening in my city.

The only thing I really kept up with was in November or December 2007 when they released a puzzle online. Once it was solved the puzzle revealed the first full body image of The Joker in the jail cell.

Was anyone here around for the early marketing? I remember watching that pumpkin slowly rotting every day and all of us wondering what would happen when it did.

The Dark Knight: Transmedia Brilliance Part 2
I didn't participate on it so much (If I'm correct only subscribed to Harvey Dent's website lol). But I remember the activities, reveals of Joker's first pic, the trailer-event... man, what a time. Best marketing to a movie ever.

And there it is! A new release of Heath Joker!

363307603_669857375178278_847124807453053409_n.jpg

363306944_669857888511560_8710572834971035640_n.jpg

And a limited version with rooted hair:
362278494_669863741844308_7013905148014867933_n.jpg

363343185_669863651844317_2991599852648134071_n.jpg

I am rewatching all the chase scenes in the trilogy to wash myself off of the memories of the Batfleck chase in “the flash”. What a mortifying scene that is. Jesus.

I am rewatching all the chase scenes in the trilogy to wash myself off of the memories of the Batfleck chase in “the flash”. What a mortifying scene that is. Jesus.
Aside from whatever problems you likely had with the effects, what was wrong with that scene? I thought it was a fun sequence personally.

Batman “riding” the vehicle at the end Spider-man style without shattering every bone in his body. One of the silliest things I’ve ever seen.

Up next:

"Bro does that Batman statue scene from above look like a clown face?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"