Dark Phoenix $ The DARK PHOENIX Box Office Speculation ThreaD $

There won't be a rerelease.
Shenanigans!! I won't a re-release with a bad CGI upper lip on Jean! Without it, Justice League fans will always mock X-Men fans!

Wait...this film is doing far worse than...Justice League...?

Ow. Just...ow.

In an Disney earnings call it was revealed that Dark Phoenix along other Fox produced films hurt Disney’s third quarter earnings. Iger is obviously not pleased with the underperformance of Fox’s slate, including Dark Phoenix.

New Mutants(if it ever gets released) will likely go to Hulu or something. Definitely very unlikely it will get a full theatrical release like Dark Phoenix got. Unless overhaul on the film doesn’t need to be as extensive enough that the reshoots more than doubles its production budget. Perhaps a limited theatrical release could be in the cards but I wouldn’t count on it.

Last edited:
The likelihood that any cut of the Fox The New Mutants movie (as it existed then or as it exists now) is a "good" movie is slim to none.

Fox delayed Dark Phoenix delayed twice and it was terrible. Fox delayed The New Mutants three times. Anyone saying just release the movie theatrically as is, there's a good chance it might still be good, has not been paying attention.

And please save the "New Mutants was good at some point, Fox just wanted a scarier movie" talking point. None of us were born yesterday.

The likelihood that any cut of the Fox The New Mutants movie (as it existed then or as it exists now) is a "good" movie is slim to none.

Fox delayed Dark Phoenix delayed twice and it was terrible. Fox delayed The New Mutants three times. Anyone saying just release the movie theatrically as is, there's a good chance it might still be good, has not been paying attention.

And please save the "New Mutants was good at some point, Fox just wanted a scarier movie" talking point. None of us were born yesterday.

Are there any Fox-Men apologists left? One would have thought that the utter failure of DP and Apocalypse finally convinced the last holdouts that the Singer/Kinberg regime was a creatively bankrupt enterprise.

It's hard to imagine Bob Iger allowing New Mutants to be released theatrically. NM cost far less to produce than DP but it still has the potential to lose tens of millions of dollars. Disney will probably dump it on Hulu and forget about it.

Are there any Fox-Men apologists left? One would have thought that the utter failure of DP and Apocalypse finally convinced the last holdouts that the Singer/Kinberg regime was a creatively bankrupt enterprise.
Unsurprisingly, yes. Some posters here are still posting on other forums like CBR with the same talking points.

Well that quashes claims that Disney (Feige in particular) sabotaged Dark Phoenix on purpose to make sure Fox's last movie went out in a dying cat whimper.

I've seen a couple of them trotting around. I know I saw one of them hating on Avengers Endgame and Spider-Man Far From Home in their respective forums. You know...on account of those films actually being critically and financially successful as opposed to being epic "Gigli" or "Battlefield-Earth" type failures like Dark Phoenix.

FoX has few successes at the boX office for the last three years, and this year is definitely their worst year. Alita is their highest grossing film of 2019 and it didn't even hit the 100 million mark in the U.S. I used to watch a lot of Fox films before, but this year is probably their worstslate of films. Nothing is that interesting. I wish Disney would just get rid off of Emma Wattson. For neXt year, I'm only interested in seeing King's Man and compare that to Walt Disney's 2020 films, its like both studios aren't from the same company.

FoX has few successes at the boX office for the last three years, and this year is definitely their worst year. Alita is their highest grossing film of 2019 and it didn't even hit the 100 million mark in the U.S. I used to watch a lot of Fox films before, but this year is probably their worstslate of films. Nothing is that interesting. I wish Disney would just get rid off of Emma Wattson. For neXt year, I'm only interested in seeing King's Man and compare that to Walt Disney's 2020 films, its like both studios aren't from the same company.

I wouldn't put the blame on Ms. Watts. Stacy Snider, the former Fox studio CEO and chairman, deserves the bulk of the blame for the disastrous lineup. With the dust cleared from the merger Emma Watts should get the opportunity to put the studio back on track.

This is the second time in four years that a Marvel flick written, produced and (mostly) directed by Simon Kinberg has been name dropped by the CEO and blamed for a corporation's poor quarterly performance. The poor fella is just SUPER unlucky!

In an Disney earnings call it was revealed that Dark Phoenix along other Fox produced films hurt Disney’s third quarter earnings. Iger is obviously not pleased with the underperformance of Fox’s slate, including Dark Phoenix.

New Mutants(if it ever gets released) will likely go to Hulu or something. Definitely very unlikely it will get a full theatrical release like Dark Phoenix got. Unless overhaul on the film doesn’t need to be as extensive enough that the reshoots more than doubles its production budget. Perhaps a limited theatrical release could be in the cards but I wouldn’t count on it.

No surprise there, the film is bad. And I highly doubt that New Mutants is going to see the light of day. At this point cut your losses and start fresh Disney.

I wish Disney would just get rid off of Emma Wattson. For neXt year, I'm only interested in seeing King's Man and compare that to Walt Disney's 2020 films, its like both studios aren't from the same company.

What did I do???!!!
Womens-March-On-Washington.jpg

I wouldn't put the blame on Ms. Watts. Stacy Snider, the former Fox studio CEO and chairman, deserves the bulk of the blame for the disastrous lineup. With the dust cleared from the merger Emma Watts should get the opportunity to put the studio back on track.

This is the second time in four years that a Marvel flick written, produced and (mostly) directed by Simon Kinberg has been name dropped by the CEO and blamed for a corporation's poor quarterly performance. The poor fella is just SUPER unlucky!

Variety says that Watts is taking her share of the blame for Fox's failures, and rightly so. To say that Disney's top brass are pissed with the mess at Fox would be an understatement. Iger has tasked Alan Horn & Alan Bergman with cleaning up Fox's disasterous slate and bringing the studio up to Disney standards. Watts will keep her job for now, it seems, but she was put on notice along with the rest of the Fox holdovers by Iger's harsh assessment of their unit's performance.

Fox Feels the Pressure From Disney as Film Flops Mount

Variety says that Watts is taking her share of the blame for Fox's failures, and rightly so. To say that Disney's top brass are pissed with the mess at Fox would be an understatement. Iger has tasked Alan Horn & Alan Bergman with cleaning up Fox's disasterous slate and bringing the studio up to Disney standards. Watts will keep her job for now, it seems, but she was put on notice along with the rest of the Fox holdovers by Iger's harsh assessment of their unit's performance.

Fox Feels the Pressure From Disney as Film Flops Mount

Watts has been in her current role for less than a year, has had to manage the studio through a very challenging acquisition process and just had the Glengarry Leads - the X-Men and Deadpool franchises - stripped away from her studio. It's their toy to play with, but it seems silly to blame her for a mess everyone paying attention could see coming.

The Mouse's ultimate goal here may be to strip down Fox film operations to a Touchstone level of development and eventually close this studio as well. Though the Star Wars and Marvel stuff fit well with Disney, all the other stuff was an awkward fit in Disney's franchise oriented film slate. I'm not at all surprised at what's going on.

;nd
Finished films looking for studio support are struggling, insiders say. Disney largely ignored “Dark Phoenix” after it acquired 20th Century in March, according to sources. The marketing team familiar with the film was laid off, and Disney did not spend as aggressively to promote the release. One insider says that the film’s lone premiere in Los Angeles was done with an eye to controlling cost — a bit of economizing that annoyed the film’s creative team.
Anyone with half a brain would've known the movie wasn't going to do well. Why would the new studio throw money at this problem?
Disney is optimistic that handing Fox superhero properties such as “Fantastic Four” and “X-Men” to Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will improve the quality of these movies, but bumps must be smoothed over in that transition. The studio is unimpressed with “New Mutants,” an “X-Men” spinoff with a haunted-house vibe, and believes it has limited box office potential.
Certainly not surprising but interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:
so much for Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence boxoffice.
Congrats Fox!! you nailed it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"