The "Dawn Of Marvels" RPG: Year One

ghostriderheadea3.jpg

JOHNNY BLAZE: THE GHOST RIDER
Year I - Part 16

Johnny Blaze sat at the table and sipped his coffee as he stared across at his father. Roxy say nearby, watching them intently.

"How do you know who Merphisto is, pa?"

Barton Blaze sighed ashamedly.

"Because it's my fault he came after you, Johnny."

"What do you mean? When he came after me, you were already... you know... gone."

Barton Blaze took a deep breath and leaned forward.

"Seven years ago, your grandfather was dying. He had cancer and the doctors said there wasn't nothin' they could do for him. I prayed for your granddaddy every night, John. I said I would do anything if the angels would just cure him."

Johnny already knew what happened next...

"So this Mephisto guy shows up one night and tells me he can cure your granddaddy... but he says I gotta give him my soul. I thought it was total B.S., but I figured I had nothing to lose... So I signed his contract, and your granddaddy got better. Then a couple weeks later, you crashed your bike into him and he died."

Johnny's face suddenly breaks into an expression of sadness. The tears come quickly.

"Oh God... I'm so sorry, pa. I swear, I never would have--"

"No, Johnny. That's just it. Don't you see? You didn't kill your grandfather. Mephisto did. That's what he does."

Johnny thinks about it. He remembers how the bike seemed to have a mind of its own. He knows it was Mephisto's doing.

"That's what he did. He took mom. He twisted it all around and he took her away..."

"I know he did. He took your grandfather just the same."

Barton turns to Roxanne.

"And he took your mother."

"What?"

Roxy gets out of her chair and approaches the table.

"What are you saying? Are you saying Mephisto killed my mother?"

"No." Barton replies.

"I did."

The Brotherhood had obviously fled the scene, getting in their chopper and soaring back into the sky, toward their headquarters. Magneto's plan however, had not failed. He managed to destroy at least part of the mansion, as well as kidnap five students. They were apparently sedated by Scarlet Witch's hexes, and then quickly transported back to the helicopter. It was not shortly after Wolverine had picked him up that Jonothan awoke from his slumber.

<Put me down! They've kidnapped the students!>

His voice rang throughout the minds of the rest of the team, just as he wriggled his way free of Wolverine's grasp. He then looked through the destroyed remains to see the tail of the helicopter flying away.

<I'm guessing you bloke's have a flying device of some sort? By the looks of this place...I'd imagine you'd have a bloody plane!>

DDbanner.jpg

Daredevil paced slowly across the room, spinning his retrieved billy club on his finger.

"Bullseye?"
Daredevil asked, his voice hoarse.

"Is that a Christian name?"

"It's a codename of sorts." Bullseye said, pacing the room as well.

"Let me guess," Daredevil chuckled,
"You were experimented on by the Government? Abducted by aliens?"

Matt Murdock smiled from behind his mask.

"Or did the bullies at school just call you Bullseye?" Murdock asked.

"Yer zero for three, Devil." Bullseye said, picking up a nearby chair.

He broke off a leg of the chair and took aim for Daredevil.

"My name ain't half as fascinating as what I can do, though." He said, releasing the leg.

Daredevil turned sideways, expecting to dodge the chair, but was instead struck in the knee by it, surprised by the downward swing of the leg's arc.

He fell on all fours, clutching his leg. He felt the blood vessels rupture and tear inside his calve as it collided with the tile floor, soon forming a bruise. Murdock cringed and forced himself

Anyone who knew about Murdock's powers, the nurses at the hospital, Bullseye, even Murdock's own father, anyone at all; what they didn't know was that while Matt could feel the air currents move after the chair leg was thrown, or could he the splintering of the old wood, he could also feel his cells tear after impact. Every bruise, scrape, and cut was felt by Matt Murdock as the most intense of all pain. Daredevil may be a man without fear, but Matt Murdock fears everything, even walking into something as simple as a door.

"You don't know me, Bullseye. Not half as well as you think."
Daredevil said, putting on a brave face.

"Aye? Is that the case?" Bullseye said, almost in jest. "Then tell me, Daredevil. What is on the face of this playing card?" He said, withdrawing something from his pocket. Murdock heard paper scraping against paper and something else... metal. The cards had razor edges.

"I'm not doing this, Bullseye."

"That's because you can't can you?"

"I won't be made a fool of by falling for a magic trick."

"Right again."

"Right about what?"

"The fact that you can't guess what's on the card. See, Daredevil, I never miss."

"Anything?"

"Anything."

"Prove it." Daredevil said, challenging the pompous fool who stood before him.

"If you're asking for it..." Bullseye said, sliding one of the cards between his middle and index fingers. With a sharp flick of his wrist, the cards flew straight for Daredevil's chest. Daredevil pivoted slightly on his right foot, and gracefully held his hand out to feel the card drift by his hand.

It was a 6 of Diamonds, worn due to use, the ink was all but gone. There was still enough of the red ink, though, for Daredevil to feel the imprint of the design. A smirk slid onto Daredevil's face, but quickly faded when he smelled something new in the air, and felt a burning sensation on the tips of his fingers.

Blood.

The air was rife with the smell of it.

The skin at the tips of Murdock's fingers burned as 98 degree blood dripped from them, slivers of flesh missing after the encounter with the razor-edged playing card. He cringed, feeling the blood burn his skin, and the agonizing pain of his severed appendages.

Still, though, he remained resolved, ready to take on Bullseye.

"I-i-is that all you've got?" Daredevil asked, his voice shaky.

"In my pocket? It sure is." Bullseye said, picking up a baseball bat from behind the bar.

He stepped over to one of the numerous pool tables in the Pub and picked up the cue ball. He tossed it carelessly in the air once, twice, then a third time.

Daredevil heard a deafening CRACK and didn't have time to react as the cue ball connected with the steel bat, plowing straight into his chest. His billy club echoed on the ground as he lost his grip on it, illuminating the room and Bullseye's grin.

He coughed, and fell to his already aching knees.

As he lay on all fours, trying to catch his breath, he heard another card flying for him. It sliced through the cheap nylon he wore as a costume and left a shallow wound over his ribs.

Daredevil was used to fighting thugs. He would recite scripture, hit them with his club, exchange a few more blows, and leave them in a bloodied mess, begging for mercy, for the police to collect. Daredevil was violent, but never unforgiving or merciless.

This foe could predict Daredevil's next move, probably catch the billy club if Daredevil threw it.

No, this opponent was one who would never beg. He wouldn't allow himself to be bested by Daredevil.

Daredevil would have to pummel, kick, and beat this foe into submission; Bullseye would go down with more than a few verses of the Bible.

Another card was flying through the air before Daredevil knew it.

Daredevil quickly snatched one billy club up in his right hand and threw it at Bullseye, while using his spare club to knock the card off of it's path.

KLANNNG

The metal card sounded as it flew into a nearby wall, lodging itself in the wood. Bullseye, amazed at the fact that the card hadn't hit it's target watched in awe as the card sailed through the air, failing to notice the club sailing through the smokey haze.

The club hit Bullseye square in the jaw, sending him stumbling backwards.

Daredevil was still the underdog, he was blind. He heard water flowing through the sprinkler system, dying to be released.

It was time to even up the odds.

Deadpool

"Holy splitting headache Batman." Moaned Wade as he awoke after being dragged from the burning mansion, except it was no longer burning, in fact the whole area was serene and calm.

"Did... did you punch me in the face?" Wade looked at Logan who just shrugged and gave a snorting sound.

"You broke my damn nose... Man! This takes me back! The amount of times we played the nasal crunching game, man I didn't think you'd remember."

Wolverine just looked on in total disgust and disbelief at the complete psychopath before him.

"Bub... you need help."

"Speaking of which, could one of you guys give me a hand over here, my spine seems to a bit wonky, just straighten it up and my healing factor'll do the rest.'

Deadpool spoke as if
it was any normal request. As the man with the Visor helped with Wade's injuries the exploding man spoke up, or rather, thought up.

<Put me down! They've kidnapped the students! I'm guessing you bloke's have a flying device of some sort? By the looks of this place...I'd imagine you'd have a bloody plane!>

"WE DO!?" Wade shouted in excitement. Looking around hopefully at the others.
"DIBS ON THE FRONT SEAT!"

The Brotherhood had obviously fled the scene, getting in their chopper and soaring back into the sky, toward their headquarters. Magneto's plan however, had not failed. He managed to destroy at least part of the mansion, as well as kidnap five students. They were apparently sedated by Scarlet Witch's hexes, and then quickly transported back to the helicopter. It was not shortly after Wolverine had picked him up that Jonothan awoke from his slumber.

<Put me down! They've kidnapped the students!>

His voice rang throughout the minds of the rest of the team, just as he wriggled his way free of Wolverine's grasp. He then looked through the destroyed remains to see the tail of the helicopter flying away.

<I'm guessing you bloke's have a flying device of some sort? By the looks of this place...I'd imagine you'd have a bloody plane!>

Deadpool

"Holy splitting headache Batman." Moaned Wade as he awoke after being dragged from the burning mansion, except it was no longer burning, in fact the whole area was serene and calm.

"Did... did you punch me in the face?" Wade looked at Logan who just shrugged and gave a snorting sound.

"You broke my damn nose... Man! This takes me back! The amount of times we played the nasal crunching game, man I didn't think you'd remember."

Wolverine just looked on in total disgust and disbelief at the complete psychopath before him.

"Bub... you need help."

"Speaking of which, could one of you guys give me a hand over here, my spine seems to a bit wonky, just straighten it up and my healing factor'll do the rest.'

Deadpool spoke as if it was any normal request. As the man with the Visor helped with Wade's injuries the exploding man spoke up, or rather, thought up.

<Put me down! They've kidnapped the students! I'm guessing you bloke's have a flying device of some sort? By the looks of this place...I'd imagine you'd have a bloody plane!>

"WE DO!?" Wade shouted in excitement. Looking around hopefully at the others.
"DIBS ON THE FRONT SEAT!"

"Here," I say as I toss a small device to the practical joker. Hopefully he's smart enough to figure out how a tracking device works.

Bamf!

An instant later my tail is wrapped around the helicopter's landing bar as we head to wherever we're going.

wolverine21imagebiggc2.jpg

JAMES HOWLETT: WOLVERINE
Year I - Part 12

Wolverine snatches the tracking device out of Deadpool's hands and stares at the blinking dot on the screen.

"Hey!"

"They're movin' fast. We better get to that plane."

A few moments later, the four X-Men board the plane. The man with the exploding face attempted to follow them up the ramp.

"No so fast, bub."

Wolverine points his claws at the stranger.

"Wolverine, it's okay! I've seen his thoughts... he didn't want to do what he did! He just can't control his abilities!"

Wolverine lowers his claws and looks at Jean.

"You think it's safe to have someone like that on the plane?"

They all look at the exploding man, waiting for his opinion.

<Yeah, mate. Especially if he knows where the ruddy bastards are going.>

Jon stepped past Wolverine and walked up the loading ramp. He strapped himself in an empty seat behind the pilot, the belts that secured him making an X across his chest. The psionic flames didn't affect the straps, however.

He began to wonder about this masked man that had suddenly appeared out of nowhere. The man was obviously out of his mind, and didn't seem to familiar to the rest of the X-Men. Jon couldn't help to wonder what was behind the mask.

DDbanner.jpg

Daredevil sat in the only chair in Matt Murdock's apartment, his mask removed, still panting from the events that took place earlier that night... he was content.

File
It all still seemed like a blur.

What was the last thing he remembered?

----------------------------

The club had hit Bullseye square in the jaw, sending him stumbling backwards.

Daredevil was still the underdog, he was blind. He heard water flowing through the sprinkler system, dying to be released.

It was time to even up the odds.

Daredevil holstered his billy clubs, and clenched his fists as he had, as a boy, watched his father do so many times.

File

He stepped forward, watching Bullseye, who was hopping around like a defending prize fighter.

"C'mon, Bullseye... you ever gonna prove that you can't miss with a punch?" Daredevil said, in jest.

Bullseye probably knew it was a trap, but he cared little. His heart was racing, and Daredevil knew that if he could get Bullseye agitated, hot headed, enough, he might be able to make it out of this scrap with his life.

Bullseye charged, screaming various obscenities and grunting like a fool.

The instant before the two slammed into one another, Daredevil cartwheeled out of the way. Bullseye flew straight past him. Daredevil pivoted and landed a devastating kick to Bullseye's side.

SNAP!

"Argh!" Bullseye cried as he felt his ribs snap.

Daredevil slid to a stop on the soaked floor and once again removed his clubs. With a flick of his wrist, they were separated, connected only by a thin wire, the rest of which was housed inside Daredevil's club.

Daredevil hurled one of the clubs at the floor. It bounced upwards, towards the ceiling and wrapped itself around a pipe. The club ricocheted around the room, bouncing off of pool tables, bar stools, and the walls themselves, coiling the wire within it around Bullseye like a python.

The precision with which Daredevil had thrown his single club had left Bullseye with no leverage and has left him immobile.

Daredevil stepped carefully to the door of the bar and slammed it shut. He turned back again to Bullseye and began cracking his knuckles. Twisting his head left then right, Daredevil loosened up his neck and tore a piece of his tattered costume off of his shoulder. He placed his hand around the nearest bottle of liquor and popped the top off.

"You wanna know why the Devil loves fire so much, Bullseye?" Daredevil asked, socking his foe in the gut once, causing him to cringe. Daredevil meandered to the end of the bar and picked up the old, discarded lighter he had used to frighten the barkeep.

He placed the torn piece of fabric inside the bottle, keeping about an inch of nylon out of the top. He poured some liquor out, coating the entire sliver of fabric in flammable liquor.

He felt himself grin as he lit the bottle on fire, fabric first.

"It's really not because of the brimstone, or the burning lake of hatred that lies below the ground called "Hell"." Daredevil said, walking directly in front of Bullseye, who was secured to the bar right in front of a wall of liquor.

Daredevil poured a few drops of the flaming liquid onto Bullseye's face and heard him choke back a scream as the scent of burning flesh filled Daredevil's nostrils.

"It's because fire releases the floodgates of chaos." Daredevil said, hurling the Molotov Cocktail at the wall.

He heard the glass shatter, but wasn't ready for what came next.

A wall of flame burst forward as the bottles shattered, igniting the very air of the bar itself, hurtling Daredevil towards the opposite wall.

He was engulfed in flame and felt his flesh sear and pop.

Bullseye screamed in agony as his skin bubbled and melted from his bones. The sprinklers quickly came on, illuminating the room for Daredevil and stopping his foes agony.

The sounds of wires snapping rang through the room.

Bullseye's maniacal cackling rang clear through the room as he stood up slowly, somehow freed from the bonds of Daredevil's billy club.

Daredevil pushed himself up off of the wall of the bar and felt the sweat pouring down from his face.

From seemingly out of nowhere, something thin was flying through the air towards Daredevil's face. He had no time to react as a wire cut the already tender skin on his face.

"Gah!" He cried, stumbling backwards. The roar of the flame was more than the sprinklers could handle, and they soon went out, pitting Daredevil once again into darkness.

A faint whisping sound rang through the room as Daredevil was struck in the face twice more.

"So much for the cable in your little toy, Devil." Bullseye said, spinning one of Daredevil's billy clubs on his finger, whipping the frayed edge of wire through the air. "It seems it snapped in the explosion!"

Bullseye moved between Daredevil and the front of the bar, where the door and windows were.

Daredevil put his hands up in front of him, trying to find a way out of his situation. Every second brought more pain as SNAP! rang through the air every time Bullseye flicked his wrist.

The pressure from the air in the bar was weighing down on Daredevil, like an anchor of a ship. The smoke filled his lungs, making each breath harder to take and keep in.

Something roared to life inside of him; something that was going to let him escape.

As a final snap rang through the air, Dardevil's hand snapped forward, and he caught the frayed edge of the cable.

With a single heave, the billy club was once again in his hand.

Bullseye picked up shards of glasses and wood from the floor, ignoring the cuts and splinters that lined his hands.

"You plan on fighting your way past me Daredevil?" Bullseye asked, laughing and looking over his shoulder at the door. "You're forgettin' one thing: I never miss."

Daredevil rushed forward, ignoring Bullseye, and dodging his projectiles with a series of flips, wallruns, and somersaults.

File

As he heard the last of the shards of glass shatter, Daredevil leapt into the air and wrapped his hands around a pole. After an elaborate twirl, he landed in a crouched position on the ground in front of Bullseye.

"And you're forgetting something, Bullseye." Daredevil said, holding his billy club in his hand.

"Backdraft.
" Daredevil said, with a note of finality.

He hurled the billy club at glass window, following close behind it. He sensed Bullseye glance over his shoulder.

"****."

The glass smashed apart into the street, fresh with a summer night's rain.

Air flowed into the bar behind Daredevil, giving the fire new life. Daredevil felt it explode through the door and intact window, singing the fabric on his back.

"Nnmph." Matt Murdock said, landing on the sidewalk opposite the bar, rolling to a stop.

He stood up slowly, feeling the rain cooling his burned body, and climbed the walls of the buildings nearby, eventually coming to a halt a top a clock tower, the rhythmic ticking of which calmed Daredevil down.

File

When the clock struck twelve, Daredevil pushed himself off of the small precipice, sailing through the air.

He landed on a rooftop and, after a few minutes, was back at his home, standing as Daredevil, in Matt Murdock's home.

As much as he had wanted to avoid it, he had been beaten.

Daredevil swore revenge under his breath and burrowed his fingers into the eyes of his mask and pulled downwards.
File

At last, he sat in his chair, slowly making the transition from Daredevil back to Matt Murdock.

----------------------------

Matt Murdock stood up and took off his Daredevil costume, casting it to the floor.

His bones popped, knuckles cracked, and his wet skin still stung with the burns he suffered earlier that night.

File

What was he going to tell Foggy about these injuries?

It didn't matter. He had interviews for the new Partner position at his law firm in the morning.

Matt Murdock slowly crawled into bed and tried to catch some sleep...

Year I - Part 13

The X-Men take their seats in the jet and blast into the sky. Cyclops pilots the craft through the clouds at an incredible speed.

"So, Jimmy... how do you feel about 'exploding face' over there?"

Wolverine shakes his head.

"I think we'll be lucky if he doesn't accidentally blow us out of the sky."

"It was you, wasn't it?" Jean asks the newcomer.

"You were the one in the warehouse, right? In England?"

Everyone's attention is now focused on the exploding man.

ghostriderheadea3.jpg

Year I - Part 17

The silence is unbearble.

"What?"

"Dad... what are you sayin'?"

Barton Blaze takes a deep breath before he continues.

"I'm so sorry, Roxy. I didn't want to do it. You have to believe me. I never would've done that if it wasn't for him."

"You didn't. You... you couldn't have... you wouldn't!"

"When Mephisto has control over you, he demands a sign of your loyalty. A sacrifice... If I wouldn't have killed her... he would've killed Johnny."

Everyone is silent.

"He'll ask the same from you, Johnny. He'll ask you to kill someone you love."

A look of realization flashes across Johnny's features.

"He already has."

"Who did he ask you to kill?"

"Her." Johnny replies, gesturing towards Roxanne.

"But... why? Why me? Why my mother?"

"Mephisto asks you to kill the one you love." Barton replies.

"My mother...?"

Barton nods.

"But... what about mom?"

"I'm sorry, John. I hadn't loved your mother for a long time. Mephisto knew this somehow... he could see what I wanted in my heart... even if no one else could."

"No! I don't believe any of this! It isn't real! You're a murderer!"

Roxy runs out of the room, crying.

"Roxy! Wait!"

"Let her go, John."

"What? We can't just--"

"She'll be fine. I've got Nightstalkers watching this entire area."

"Nightstalkers?"

"Foot-soldiers. Specially trained to handle the forces of Mephisto. Demon... undead... they don't stand a chance."

Johnny is silent for a moment, looking down the hall where Roxy fled.

"It's good to see you, son."

Johnny smiles awkwardly.

"Now you know the truth... about your granddaddy... about Roxy's mom... about just about everything. You have any other questions?"

"Actually... yeah."

"Shoot."

"What the heck is a Bonding Ceremony?"

Jon looked to the crimson haired woman, giving a slight nod as he spoke to her telepathically. The rest of the team would hear it as well, for it was a projected telepathic speech.

<It was. They knocked me the 'ell out in the sewers. That bloke that looked like a bloody toad must've been searchin' for a snack. Whacked the sense out of me with that tongue of his.>

By his facial expression, you could tell that Jon would have been sighing.

<He brought me to this place in the middle of nowhere, and I met a man who called 'imself Magneto.>

Jon almost restrained from telling them the next part, but he felt they needed to know.

<I agreed to come and destroy your mansion. He promised he would find a way to regenerate my face--but I couldn't do it. When I tried to warn you all, I lost control....>

He ran a hand which was encased within a fingerless black glove through his reddish black hair, eyes looking to Jean and the rest of the team remorsefully.

"...Boy this is uncomfortable... and I hate uncomfortable silences,"Whispered Deadpool, World's greatest assassin, to the the man known as Wolverine.

"So... is that sky blue tonight or what huh?" Deadpool spoke up trying to change the subject. He was quickly shut up by a group of dirty looks from the rest of the passengers.

"Do continue..."
He said gesturing to their explosive cargo.

Jon looked up at the guy who seemed to appear out of nowhere. He still wasn't sure of the man's intentions.

<I've told my bloody story, you bloke. Now, what the 'ell were you doing at the Institute, eh?>

He raised a finger, pointing at the masked man.

<And I sure as bloody hell don't trust a man in a mask.>

The guy was obviously trying to avoid the subject. Jon couldn't help to wonder how he would accomplish laying a low profile when he's constantly running his mouth. All eyes were on Deadpool now.

<Spit it out, mate.>

Deadpool shifted in his seat a little.

"I... uh, this is gonna sound terrible... I'm an assassin for hire."

Wade looked at the rest of the group who where giving him looks of shock and, in wolverines case, threating gestures. All except Cyclops.

"Relax buddies, I'm not here to do anybody in. I got a message left on my phone by slim-jim over there." He said pointing to Scott. "It was a job, an order to eliminate a man named Charles Xavier, where the hell is old baldy anyway? ... Never mind. Anywho, Once I got here he used his freaky mind talking to drag me up to his room and explain the kooky situation. He organized the hit on his life just so he could meet me and extend and invite for me to join the X-Guys."

"X-Men"
Corrected Scott.

"Do YOU want to tell this story four eyes? I didn't think so. So anyway where was I? Oh yeah, He told me that his buddy Scott had been told to leave the contract on my answering machine because its the only way he was sure I would come yadda yadda yadda."

The faces around him were a mixed bag, some showed acceptance, others show total confusion.

"My name is Wade Wilson, but you can call me Deadpool."

YearI - Part 14

"I'm real glad yer all bondin' and openin' up yer souls... but someone's gotta take care of business around here."

Wolverine approaches the door of the jet. Through the window, the Brotherhood's chopper can be seen.

"Everybody hang on to somethin'."

Wolverine yanks the door open and the wind pulls violently at the X-Men. The others scream in panic as they try to hold themselves in place.

"Get up nice and close to 'em, One-eye."

"Are you crazy? You can't make that jump!"

Wolverine snickers before launching himself into the sky.

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

Working with the weight of his adamantium-coated skeleton, Wolverine slams into the side of the Brotherhood chopper and digs in with his claws. Nightcrawler looks at him in awe from his position on the tail.

"Hey, Elf."

Wolverine drags one of his claws through the helicopter's side, tracing a circle. Once the area is completely detatched from the rest of the chopper, it falls to the ground below. Wolverine jumps into the hole and faces the Brotherhood, Nightcrawler appearing at his side a moment later.

wolverineyl6.jpg

"Oh boy... Anyone care to help him? No?" Deadpool looked around for a moment and sighed. "Geronimo it is then."

Deadpool dived out of the Jet and disappeared from view.

"... What the hell did he just do?" Scott asked slowly after seeing the world's greatest assassin seemingly dive to his death. Seconds went by while the team looked quizzically out of the window.

"There!" Shouted Psylocke as she spotted a blur of red and black appear at the Brotherhood chopper's cockpit.

"How in the hell did he manage that!?"

"Son of a ***** is a teleporter." Scott said in disbelief.

Wade Wilson drove a sword straight through the cockpit window and made his entrance...

IMbanner.bmp

Stark Towers:

"MAN! IT'S SO BORING IN THIS PLACE!" I, Tony Stark, shouted at the top of my lungs.​

"I need some action...."

All I could do for fun was spin around in my chair and have phone sex with my computer's voice, but then my friend and bodygaurd James Rhodes came in. I got all excited because luckily...​

...I gave him the job to report any threats to me.​

"Jimmy, you better have some scotch with you if there isn't any crime happening."

"Don't worry, Tony. Didn't need the scotch. Ten story robot attacking Times Square."

"YES! Finally somethin' good."

He tossed a folder on my desk with pictures of a giant red robot in New York. The design was very familiar.​

"It's internally operated, much like your armor."

"I know. That was one of my designs."

"It's also russian technology. Calls itself the 'Crimson Dynamo'."

"Apparently. You couldn't tell by the red? Speaking of russian, I could use a vodka right about now."

Rhodey raised his brow to signify me to stop foolin' around. Won't he be dissappointed.​

"Computer. Show me the satellite video feed of Times Square."

"Yes, Mr. Stark."

"Thanks, sexy."

Rhodes gave me another one of those looks as the TV screen popped out of the wall.​

"What? She's got a sexy voice!"

The video feed then started to play exactly what Rhodes told me: A giant red robot attacking New York. This looks like a job for Iron Man. I stood up from my desk and walked over to the secret armor room, where I could take my pick.​

"Hmm.... So many glasses of wine to pick from..."

Then one armor caught my eye...​

Hulk_Buster_Iron_Man.jpg

"...But I need something strong."

ghostriderheadea3.jpg

Year I - Part 18

Johnny is led into a small room. Strange symbols have been drawn on the floor in some kind of red chalk. There are no windows. The only light comes from dozens of burning candles.

"What the heck is this place, dad?"

"This is where the Bonding Ceremony is gonna take place, son."

Barton pulls out an old book and begins flipping through it.

"So, you gonna tell me what that is?"

"You ever wondered why Mephisto wanted your soul, Johnny?"

"Uh... well--"

"I'll tell you why, Johnny. Because once you sign that contract, there ain't no way out. I been runnin' from Mephisto for seven long years now. I raised an army here and I've been workin' on a way to beat that bastard once and for all. But... I thought I had more time..."

"What're you sayin'?"

Barton takes a deep breath.

"Ya see, John... if you don't keep yer end of the bargain... if you don't give yourself up to Mephisto... he goes after yer first born."

Johnny's jaw unwittingly drops.

"You mean... he came fer me 'cause of you?"

"I'm sorry, Johnny. I thought I had more time. Mephisto and his hordes were storming this place every day for the past seven years! Then all of sudden, they just stopped comin'. And that's when I knew... I knew he'd gone after you instead."

Johnny turns and begins to cry.

"I'm so sorry, Johnny. I wish I could've done something. But now... now I can. If this Bonding Ceremony works, I'll fuse myself to a lesser demon and be able to challenge Mephisto. Look! I've even got the demon all picked out!"

Johnny turns and looks at the page Barton is pointing to in the book.

zarathos.jpg

"Zarathos. The spirit of vengeance."

Year I - Part 15

Wolverine looks at the mutant terrorists facing him, then speaks to the blue-skinned teleporter at his side.

"When I start filetin' those terrorists, you grab the kids and jump 'em onto the jet. Can you do that?"

"I believe so."

Wolverine nods and advances towards the woman wearing scarlet.

"Come no closer, animal! It would be unwise for you to engage us in combat! We have superior numbers and I will see to it that the odds remain in our favor!"

Wolverine snickers.

"You threatenin' me with bad luck? That's supposed to scare me? Lady, you're talkin' to the wrong guy."

Wolverine moves to slash at the woman when he is struck by an unseen force. He looks around but sees no one. He is struck several more times and eventually collapses to his knees. A silver haired man appears in front of him.

"Try to harm my sister again and you'll be dead before you can blink!"

Suddenly, the man's face goes slack. The tip of a samurai sword appears from his stomach.

"Ooooh! I've been impaled before. Not fun. Trust me."

Wolverine had never been happy to see Deadpool until this moment.

Spider-Man.gif

I scramble through my pocket, searching for loose change. Once I find some, I pull it out and slip it into the payphone. The air is cold and crisp, and I can see my breath as I punch in the numbers. I curl my fingers into a fist and bring it close to my mouth. I blow my hot breath into my palm in a futile attempt to keep it warm as I stand out on the cold New York street.

The phone rings three times before my roommate answers.

"Hello?" Harry Osborn responds.

"Harry, it's Pete," I announce. I start to twirl the phone cord around my finger.

"Hey, Pete, where are you? I thought you were going to help me study for my biochemistry class tonight," he states, slightly demused.

I cringe. If there's one thing I hate about my new lifestyle, it's the persistent lying that I must do. Oh, what I would give to have some confidant that I could tell everything to. But it's not that easy. "Yeah...sorry about that. Something came up, and I've got...stuff to do."

Harry sighs. "You've ALWAYS got stuff to do," he reminds me.

"I know, I know...I promise that I'll make it up to you."

"I'll hold you to that," Harry assures me.

I slowly place the phone back on the receiver. Maybe if I was any other guy, I'd be back at the dorms. If I was any other guy, I'd be helping Harry get through college on charisma alone. If I was any other guy, I wouldn't be standing out in the street on a cold night.

But I'm not any other guy.

I'm the spectacular, the amazing, the sensational Spider-Man. And I have a duty to serve to the people of New York City.

And it's that duty which motivates me to wear tights on a 40-degree night. Note-to-self: find a material that will help keep me warm during the winter. If I'm jumping around rooftops in tights in the cold, I'm going to catch a cold every week.

I web my civilian clothes underneath a heating vent as I take off to prowl the night. I'm not patrolling for long when I hear the distinctive cries for help.

"Did someone call me?"

"I was afraid that you wouldn't show up!"

Big_Wheel_Marvel.gif

Oh dear God...

ghostriderheadea3.jpg

Year I - Part 19

Johnny's dad stands in the middle of the room, in the center of a large symbol that's been painted on the floor. He breathes deeply, chanting under his breath. Johnny is the only other person in the room.

After serveral moments, a plume of red flame appears in the air, hovering. A deep voice seems to pour out of it.

"Who dares summon Zarathos, spirit of vengeance?"

Barton Blaze regards the flame without fear. He seems both calm and collected. Johnny, on the other hand, is freaking out. Until this point, he still held on to the slim hope that this could all be make-believe. That maybe, Mephisto was just a nutjob. Maybe his father was too. Maybe everything had a rational explanation. That slim hope was now gone.

"It was I who summoned you. My name is Barton Blaze."

"And what business do you have with me, mortal?"

"I command you, Zarathos, to enter my body and become one with me!"

"Do you understand that which you ask of me, Barton Blaze?"

"I do."

"Very well."

The plume of flame begins moving closer to Barton Blaze, when Johnny suddenly bolts. He charges towards his father and pushes him out of the way. He doesn't know why he does it. He'll never know. Perhaps a force larger than himself made it so...

The plume of flame collides with him and Johnny feels his flesh boil and burn off. The pain is worse than anything he's ever experienced. Eventually, it dulls, but does not fade away completely.

"Johnny? Son... what did you do?"

Johnny turns and regards his father.

"Call me... the Ghost Rider!"

4397664331ghostrider400cg1.jpg

Year I - Part 15

Wolverine looks at the mutant terrorists facing him, then speaks to the blue-skinned teleporter at his side.

"When I start filetin' those terrorists, you grab the kids and jump 'em onto the jet. Can you do that?"

"I believe so."

Wolverine nods and advances towards the woman wearing scarlet.

"Come no closer, animal! It would be unwise for you to engage us in combat! We have superior numbers and I will see to it that the odds remain in our favor!"

Wolverine snickers.

"You threatenin' me with bad luck? That's supposed to scare me? Lady, you're talkin' to the wrong guy."

Wolverine moves to slash at the woman when he is struck by an unseen force. He looks around but sees no one. He is struck several more times and eventually collapses to his knees. A silver haired man appears in front of him.

"Try to harm my sister again and you'll be dead before you can blink!"

Suddenly, the man's face goes slack. The tip of a samurai sword appears from his stomach.

"Ooooh! I've been impaled before. Not fun. Trust me."

Wolverine had never been happy to see Deadpool until this moment.

"Admit it. Your pleased to see me right?"
Deadpool quipped as a small smile crept over Logan's face.

"PIETRO! NO!"

"Oh ****! Grieving loved one at twelve o'clock!" The woman in scarlet sent a bolt of energy at Deadpool which drove him out of the plane making an assassin shaped-whole in the side of the chopper. She ran up to her fallen comrade and knelt beside him.

"Oh, brother, your stomach, all I can see is blood! Don't worry darling that wretched man is dead. Your going to be all right."

Wolverine and the blue teleporter look at each other and roll their eyes.

"Is he really dead?" Whispered the elf.

"Don't count on it, 'bastard is like a cockroach."

The scarlet witch rose to her feet with hatred in her eyes and turned to the two invaders. She raised her hands and began to mumble something under her breath but was suddenly tapped on her shoulder.

"Don't ever do that again." Deadpool said striking the woman with the hilt of his sword.

"See."

Spider-Man.gif

I stare at the...thing in front of me in disbelief. I've expected to run into a lot of crazy people, but a...giant Ferris Wheel?

"Please tell me if there's a killer Merry-Go-Round somewhere nearby because I have to know."

The little guy sitting inside the contraption points menacingly at me. At least, I think it's supposed to be menacing. But when you're sitting in a giant Ferris Wheel, you just look silly...no matter what you do.

"I shall prove that technology is greater than strength, Spider-Man!" he explains to me. "And I will do so by striking you down with my BIG WHEEL!"

"So...how many times were you picked last in gym exactly?"

Without another cheesy word, the "Big Wheel" revvs up and charges me. It's extremely fast for something so big and cumbersome. Were it not for my Spider-Sense and amazing reflexes, I might not have gotten out of the way so quickly.

"RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!"

I shake my head. "You know...Big Wheel...there's something to be said for originality. Those kind of cliched lines are NOT going to fly with me."

He tries to pull off his best Leonidas battle cry before blasting at me. So...I guess those lasers ARE operational. Nice to know.

"You're just like THEM! You think that you're so great because you're fast and strong!" he yells with a tell-tale tone of spite in his voice.

"Y'know, if you sat me down and talked with me, you'd find that I'm a lot more like you than you think," I admit. "Except for the fact that, y'know, you're crazy and all."

"Am I? AM I?!"

He blazes past me. I need to stop him soon. Everytime he tries to trample me, he ends up trampling half the city. It has to stop. Innocent lives are at stake.

"Yes...you ARE."

I web up his lasers. Okay...that makes it a little easier. As he races past me again, I fire a webline at the back of his wheel. As the wheel spins, it tugs on my web and pulls me on top of Big Wheel. Once there, I have a clear shot at Big Wheel.

Left hook. Right hook. Uppercut.

Big Wheel is swerving uncontrollably. I have him now. With one final blast of web, I cover Big Wheel's eyes. In retrospect, it wasn't the most intelligent course of action. I look up and see that Big Wheel is headed straight for the Hudson, and nothing is going to stop him.

I leap down into the driver's seat and push Big Wheel aside. He's still struggling with the web. I try my best to turn Big Wheel off-course, but it's useless. The momentum isn't going to stop for little old me.

"I'm sorry in advance for your science fair project!"

I grab Big Wheel and leap out of the machine. I dangle from a web - holding onto Big Wheel desperately - as the carnival ride from Hell rides straight into the river.

Good riddance.

Year I - Epilogue

"All thing considered, I must say that I am pleased with the way things turned out."

Wolverine chuckled at Xavier's words.

"Seriously?"

"Yes, Logan. None of my students were seriously harmed and both of Magneto's children are now in custody. I hope this incident has shown you that you belong here."

Wolverine gets up and puts a cigar between his lips.

"Sorry, Chuck. I've seen yer kids in actions. They'll be fine without me."

"Where then will you go, Wolverine?"

Wolverine lights the cigar.

"That little blue elf's got some places he wants to show me. Says I've been to 'em before. I'm a man with no past, Chuck. I gotta start somewhere."

The professor shakes his head.

"I wish you would reconsider. My students could really benefit from your influence."

Wolverine laughs.

"No one's ever said that to me before."

Wolverine opens the door and stands just outside the room.

"Ya never know, Chuck. Ya might not've seen the last of me."

So, the man with no past disappears... hoping he might find a future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"