• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Eternals The Eternals General Disscussion and Speculation thread

Overall, I think Sprite and Sersi are the only ones that kind of look like their comics counterparts. Black Knight not so much but I still like Kit Harrington for the role. The rest of the castings evoke something totally different to a degree where I don't know what to expect of this movie.

I have an open mind as the movie will more than likely stand on it's own. As a more obscure property, perhaps it'll be reinvented to a degree into it's own thing.

The costumes I think will maybe appear more natural seen throughout than in the background images seen on stage.
They are obviously not all going to look similar to their comic book counterpart. As Marvel Studios want to show diversity in the casting of this film. And they could getaway with it as the Eternals are obscure characters from the comics. That being said, as I expected they didn't racebend or gender bend, Sersi, Thena, Black Knight and Ikaris.

now that I think about.. what if that asian gay male casting was for ikarus's husand?

8IIXGGW.jpg

Calling it now... Most of the costumes will have the ability to insta-change into a battle armor mode where the designs will shift to a more funky, Kirby crazy form.

My issue with the costumes is that they're very... uninteresting looking? Marvel said that the costumes would be inspired by Kirby's art, but all I can think looking at them is... where?

Compare them to some of the stuff seen in Thor: Ragnarok.

EAQQP-qWwAAl9qf.jpg

DMfnjecWkAAjuCd.jpg:large

Now this is what using Kirby as inspiration looks like. Hopefully the actual costumes will look better than the concept art, but that rarely happens.

That being said, as I expected they didn't racebend or gender bend, Sersi, Thena, Black Knight and Ikaris.

They did racebend Sersi. She's not Asian in the comics. Phastos hasn't been racebent.

I like the costumes but they’re a bit generic. I was hoping they might rework Kingo for example, not use the samurai look from the comics but build off Indian mythology.

Oh well maybe it’ll look better on screen. When I first saw ikaris’ costume for example I thought they had given him a boob window lol! But it was just those globe things on his chest

Unpopular opinion (for this boards, at least): the heavily Malick/Lubezki inspired visual style of Chloe Zhao’s previous films would be much more interestingly applied to this story than a Ragnarok-esque Jack Kirby translation -

tumblr_obf95bMC0T1qzcsrco3_1280.png

tumblr_obf95bMC0T1qzcsrco7_1280.png

tumblr_pd8r5bIhtW1qa3emao3_1280.png

tumblr_pfok9iVnkC1wtoktwo7_1280.png

They did racebend Sersi. She's not Asian in the comics. Phastos hasn't been racebent.
Gemma Chan looked pretty similar to the Sersi in the comics. Even if they racebend her, its not noticeable compare to the rest.

Why? Thor's cast of characters included: Thor, Loki, Sif, Heimdall, Fandrall, Volstagg, Hogun, Odin, Frigga, Jane Foster, Selvieg, Darcy, Laufey, Phil Coulson. That's 14 characters. In Eternals we know of about 11 characters so far. It's been said several times before but bears repeating: not every character is going to have a big role.
Thor was lead and the rest were just supporting. This is a team movie with a large cast that doesn't have the advantage of appearing in other movies before now. Gotg were 5, Avengers even with four of hem having solo movies and the rest appearing in others were six.

Salma is like a happy fangirl and it’s just so awesome to see. Jolie still seems very new, very unfamiliar with this whole thing - but that’s okay, she’ll have plenty of time to grow into the role.

Selma is so cute.

Thor was lead and the rest were just supporting. This is a team movie with a large cast that doesn't have the advantage of appearing in other movies before now. Gotg were 5, Avengers even with four of hem having solo movies and the rest appearing in others were six.

The same thing will be true here, is the point I was trying to make. Someone (or a couple characters) will be the lead(s) and others will be supporting. Some supporting characters will have larger roles than others. Ocean's 11 is a team movie for example. Clooney & Pitt lead the flick. Damon is a significant supporting character, as are Garcia & Roberts. Every member gets a moment, but no one would seriously say Scott Caan or the Asian guy are leads in the movie. You bring up GotG and Star Lord is clearly the lead even on a team of 5. I don't expect it to be any different with this team.

I'm thinking one of the Asian actors might be playing the gay character. Remember this?

Marvel Is Reportedly Pursuing a Gay Asian Male Lead for The Eternals
The Asian gay character is a lead character, not supporting. The character is not just going to be a love interest. So unless we are getting two gay characters in a relationship with each other, I don't think Ikaris is the gay character.

The same thing will be true here, is the point I was trying to make. Someone (or a couple characters) will be the lead(s) and others will be supporting. Some supporting characters will have larger roles than others. Ocean's 11 is a team movie for example. Clooney & Pitt lead the flick. Damon is a significant supporting character, as are Garcia & Roberts. Every member gets a moment, but no one would seriously say Scott Caan or the Asian guy are leads in the movie. You bring up GotG and Star Lord is clearly the lead even on a team of 5. I don't expect it to be any different with this team.
The title is Eternals, not a character title. Thor is not a good comparison. Gotg and Avengers are better comparison.

So...I don't really know anything about the Eternals, but I noticed they have a child actor playing one of them. Apparently this character, Sprite, is an ancient immortal in the body of a child.

My question is how are they going to handle this character in future movies? The actor won't be a child for long, and will look much older even by her very next appearance. Unless the character is intended to be a one-off, it seems like a strange idea to have her be played by an actual child rather than a very young-looking adult.

The title is Eternals, not a character title. Thor is not a good comparison. Gotg and Avengers are better comparison.

LOL...so switch Thor out with GotG or Avengers. Or Ocean's 11 like I used in my previous post. Or Magnificent 7. Or pretty much any other movie . My point wasn't really depending on the Thor example. Yes it's called Eternals but it will still have a lead characters and supporting characters.
533.gif

So...I don't really know anything about the Eternals, but I noticed they have a child actor playing one of them. Apparently this character, Sprite, is an ancient immortal in the body of a child.

My question is how are they going to handle this character in future movies? The actor won't be a child for long, and will look much older even by her very next appearance. Unless the character is intended to be a one-off, it seems like a strange idea to have her be played by an actual child rather than a very young-looking adult.

In the comics Sprite choses to look like a kid. Maybe by the end of the movie she decides to let herself grow up. Or maybe they kill her off (I have my doubts on that one, since this is Disney).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"