The Expanse

[YT]06EIAuYRRTw[/YT]

[YT]p8vR2FB1PGM[/YT]

So I just saw an ad saying this show is "Battlestar Galactica Meets Game of Thrones" and I don't take that s*** lightly. Is this the real deal?

So I just saw an ad saying this show is "Battlestar Galactica Meets Game of Thrones" and I don't take that s*** lightly. Is this the real deal?
Yes.

No, it's not even close lol. Don't get me wrong I think the show is good just not that level of great.

I saw that ad and I think it just meant that the show is a mix of the space warfare and character drama of Battlestar with the political drama of Game of Thrones. Which it is. If you haven't watched the show yet give it a go. It's a good show.

Yes and no. It's a really good show, but whoever said that quote probably just means it's got a similar type of "realistic" serious space sci-fi as BSG and the long-term world/story-building as GoT - as in, it introduces a bunch of disparate storylines across the galaxy that will eventually collide in glorious ways. Plus political intrigue.

But the themes and style of the show resembles neither of those at all, and while I do love this show, the characters haven't stood out for me nearly as much as certain characters from those shows, making it not quite so addictive. Still my favorite bit of sci-fi on TV at the moment, though.

Returns tonight

I should've brushed up on what happened last season because I couldn't remember what was happening at first.

Besides that, really good premiere. I like how Miller is being accepted into the group and the Martian gunny is an intriguing new member to the cast. She's an endearing combination of innocent and fanatical.

So I discovered that Adam does these shows on YouTube now called Tested.

In one of the episodes, he checks the The Expanse's props department:

[YT]QXwe51lkJ6M[/YT]

How has this thread not been updated since the most recent episode? That was an incredible hour of television!

Excellent work. Would like to have seen a little more of [BLACKOUT]Ghost Julie[/BLACKOUT], but it might've lessened the impact of Miller [BLACKOUT]finally seeing her at the heart of Eros[/BLACKOUT].

For some reason when season 1 ended, I thought they were only halfway thru Leviathan Wakes. But after the premiere I realized it was more like 2/3rds, and we were gonna get to Caliban's War that much sooner. Looking forward to the Ganymede incident next episode, plus all the Venus weirdness!

That felt more like a season finale. Great episode.

Finally caught up with the latest ep. Aside from the Ganymede incident, I'm surprised how much they're tiptoeing into the plot of Caliban's War. That last episode was about 3/4 stuff that's not in the book. I'm most surprised with the changes to Bobbie's side of things, which mostly seems to serve to tease out the monster rather than just show it in action like the book does.

I have a prediction about the Arboghast. Minor book spoilers:

So far in the show, everyone thinks that Eros burned up in Venus and that's the end of it, even though they could see as early as the end of Book 1 that the proto-molecule's "work" was continuing down there. Fairly early in book 2, the warship Arboghast is destroyed in Venus orbit (stripped apart in layers and disassembled). It's a big deal for Avasarala as she watches the footage over and over in abject horror.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the show makes that the inciting incident that snaps everyone's attention back to Venus.

The Expanse has been renewed for Season 3.

And we're not the only ones. Critical acclaim has been stacking up for The Expanse ever since Season 1, but it's in Season 2 where things just got plain paramount. io9 called it the “best sci-fi show on TV”. Wired said Season 2 was “transforming TV”. The 13-episode third season will premiere on Syfy in 2018. while Season 2 is currently airing every Wednesday at 10/9c

Wonder how far into season 3 they'll get into Abbaddon's Gate.

Latest ep was more like 60/40 for stuff not in the book. Missing Bobbie and Avasarala for this round. And for some reason, Florence Faivre is still listed in the credits. But more importantly, PRAX!

Spacing the inners on the refugee ship was messed up. I'm worried they won't get back to that. I kind of like how they had Holden chase down Prax rather than the other way around like in the book. Although here it means that Prax has to go all the way back to Ganymede after just arriving at Tycho, rather than the Roci crew picking him up from there amidst all the chaos.
Also, I looked up Drummer on the wiki, thinking she's another character who does more in the later books. Turns out she's not even named until like book 5, so she's practically an original character for the show.

I saw two guys (or were they the same guy?) with the same weird mohawk as Miller. I guess it's a popular style in the belt.

These last 3 episodes have mostly felt like the writers playing around with a few original ideas before diving into Book 2 in earnest.

I want to see what they find on Ganymede. I'm not sure our crew is prepared to take on anything capable of destroying squadrons of Earth and Mars marines.

The Expanse has been renewed for Season 3.

And we're not the only ones. Critical acclaim has been stacking up for The Expanse ever since Season 1, but it's in Season 2 where things just got plain paramount. io9 called it the “best sci-fi show on TV”. Wired said Season 2 was “transforming TV”. The 13-episode third season will premiere on Syfy in 2018. while Season 2 is currently airing every Wednesday at 10/9c
Excellent news, this season has been awesome so far. :up:

So I just realized that the last episode was the season finale. For a season finale that was underwhelming as ****.

Mostly it's cuz we're ending in the middle of the book. Season 1 did that too (more like 2/3 into Leviathan Wakes), but the fall of Eros certainly felt like a momentous event to close on. Here the fate of the Arbhorgast is the only finisher that felt like it belongs in a finale, rather than anything in the two main threads. I guess I don't mind so much because I've read the books 1+2 and it's been clear from the end of last season that they weren't going to fit neatly into season-sized chucks (even with the added episodes), but I can understand why it'd be even more frustrating for viewers just watching the show.

Still, wiping out the proto-monster with the engine was dope as hell. Reminded me of Gollum's death.

"Home" sure felt more like a finale than the actual finale did. When the show is all laid out, it will probably work best to split the episodes up by which book they were from instead of the actual season breaks. So the first 15 episodes will fill out Book Season 1, and then maybe the last 8 plus the first few of next season will be Book Season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"