The Flash The Flash Episode 16: "Rogue Time

I also liked on how (well from my opinion), you could see some irritation from Wells's end when he realized that he would need to give Barry a lending ear in order for the latter to vent out his frustrations regarding the consequences of his time traveling.
Yeah, I could see he really didn't want to hear about the future, he must have cut Barry off a few times in explaining the future.

I liked how Wells picked up on Barry knowing about the future when he was finishing people's sentences and simply asked "A word, please?" to keep things from being exposed to the team. It'll be interesting to see if any of the other members of the team will find out about the time travel that occurred. I doubt that'll be the case though.

Yeah, I thought that was very interesting. Pretty eerie almost.

Very eerie indeed, but also quite touching. I liked that they still kept the caring side to his character.

I liked that Cisco got another chance to shine again this week, and the in transit heist with Cold and Heat Wave was classic comic book stuff. I'm guessing the end between Barry and Cold was the set-up to send him off to that spin-off show.

Barry's stuff with Iris was cringe-worthy and so out of character for him, and his leap from defending Wells to telling Joe he thinks he's guilty of everything was a bit much based purely off the reporters disappearance.

The RF threatening the reporter was really well done, the aura of menace all his scenes carry are exactly how you build up the hero's nemesis.

Barry's stuff with Iris was cringe-worthy and so out of character for him, and his leap from defending Wells to telling Joe he thinks he's guilty of everything was a bit much based purely off the reporters disappearance.
That was my dumb character moment in the show as well, I'm sure with a lot others too. I was literally facepalming at how dumb and excited he was in revealing Iris' "true feelings" for him at lunch. He's smarter than that by now but he regressed to his Jr. High days there.

Heck, I also don't like the cloud of romance they have hovering over Barry and Felicity either when she comes into town. But when Iris is around he goes back to 'love of my life I'm waiting for you' guy. Get your head in the game, dude.

I hate Iris even more now. Ugh, what a *****. Reminds me of my ex GF with the same damn name. (long story short, she had some sort of mental prob. Off her meds she was bat**** crazy)

I liked that Cisco got another chance to shine again this week, and the in transit heist with Cold and Heat Wave was classic comic book stuff. I'm guessing the end between Barry and Cold was the set-up to send him off to that spin-off show.

The RF threatening the reporter was really well done, the aura of menace all his scenes carry are exactly how you build up the hero's nemesis.

In the other timeline the reporter teased he had evidence on Harrison Wells on a drive. The guy tells him that and then he disappears he'd have be really naive not to put those two together.

I thought this was a good episode, but it was brought down by some stupid things. I love the Rogue's Gallery, and Cold is so great. He's calculating and very smart with how he operates, so Barry basically challenging him to pull off jobs without killing people seemed totally in line with a guy like Cold. I knew that there would be consequences with him knowing the future, but I kind of wish they did a little more. The thing that bugs me is it looked like Cold was going through with his plan at some point during the tidal wave caused by Weather Wizard 2. I don't normally like the tons of villains knowing his identity, but the consequences of Cisco living lead to the favored brother being tortured and the secret being revealed. I like that they flipped the conversation between Wells and Cisco with the same dialogue but in a different context.

The part I didn't like with Cold needing Cisco to create a new Cold gun doesn't really make sense if he knows the ins and outs of the weapon. He should have been able to figure out how to make a new one on his own, which would have been cool.

Now I get that there are consequences with his knowledge from going back in time, but they kind of bungled the Iris/Barry thing at the coffee shop. She clearly has feelings for him and showed it heavily in the previous episode, but because her dad was in peril and the tidal wave was about to hit the city, she doesn't even acknowledge it? It just doesn't make sense. Really, it would have been better for her to admit her feelings here, but she does love Eddie and is committed to their relationship. Now, she comes off worse because it makes the things that happened in the previous episode as I stated in that thread about her doing the things at the bowling alley in order to break up Barry's relationship.

After this guy goes missing, Barry is suspicious now? It doesn't seem quite right to me. Yeah, he has knowledge that there was a story about to be published on Wells. It should have been more of a "yeah, that's strange" but we'll see how it plays out.

I don't dislike Iris, I think she gets undeserved hate. I do dislike how Barry behaves around her though. They should let Barry actually move on for more than 2 episodes. Let him date a few girls maybe even have a couple one night stands. Maybe he, Ollie, Ray, and whatever other heroes can have a heroes night out once a week or something so that he can have friends. Give him a real social life. So that his crush on Iris doesn't define him.
That's probably a reason people tend to hate on Iris. When a guy is love struck with a girl to the point Barry is with Iris, and Ollie was with Laurel, or even Clark was with Lana it can be hard to make audiences see why, especially when it's how we are introduce to the character. We watch the Flash and you can't help but wonder why she's such a big deal, besides her obvious hotness. You kind of feel like its time for the guy to just move on. The other issue is we feel like the character is being shoved down our throats even when the character is off screen because the protagonist spend half his screen time longing for her.

Decent episode. Rogues are fun. I can't decide who's my fave villain between RF and Cold.

Didn't fast-forward Iris scenes for once and she's still bad. They should change the actress cause they have like zero chemistry.

I wish they'd just stop introducing the hero's destined love from the start. Why can't the hero just date normally and then eventually find his true love?

Yeah that would be new and fresh!

I don't dislike Iris, I think she gets undeserved hate. I do dislike how Barry behaves around her though. They should let Barry actually move on for more than 2 episodes. Let him date a few girls maybe even have a couple one night stands. Maybe he, Ollie, Ray, and whatever other heroes can have a heroes night out once a week or something so that he can have friends. Give him a real social life. So that his crush on Iris doesn't define him.
That's probably a reason people tend to hate on Iris. When a guy is love struck with a girl to the point Barry is with Iris, and Ollie was with Laurel, or even Clark was with Lana it can be hard to make audiences see why, especially when it's how we are introduce to the character. We watch the Flash and you can't help but wonder why she's such a big deal, besides her obvious hotness. You kind of feel like its time for the guy to just move on. The other issue is we feel like the character is being shoved down our throats even when the character is off screen because the protagonist spend half his screen time longing for her.

I don't hate Iris. I hate what the writers are doing to her character and how they're handling the whole romance. If anything, i'm beginning to wonder if the writers really like her that much given that they seem to portray her as selffish, shallow, and cruel. If anything the portrayal of her seems kinda like a "nice guy's" revenge fantasy . I don't think the writers are doing her any favors at all, and if anything seem to be sabotaging her character themselves.

Iris's position is, or at least should be, perfectly understandable . She's considered this guy a brother / friend her whole life and she never thought of him in a romantic way. Then suddenly after 15 years he tells her how she feels. She's stunned, then next thing she knows he's in a new relationship and telling Iris the feelings he kept for 15 years are gone and he's moved on. I mean if anything, Iris should be still trying to come to terms with the reveal right before she's about to move in with her boyfriend. Her feelings are understandable and we should be seeing how tough this would be for her. However, there's zero nuance and subtly to her feelings and the position that shes in.

Instead she's reduced to passive aggressive attempts at derailing Barry and Linda, totally being insensitive to Eddie's feelings, then basically crushing on the Flash on the side. Then the writers have their cake and eat it too after Barry goes back in time and the previous status quo is restored. I criticize the writers for making her that way because it really isn't fair to her character and it turns the audience against her. Candice Patton has a good gig being on a hit show so, right on for her, but the writers have really bungled her character imo.

I wish they'd just stop introducing the hero's destined love from the start. Why can't the hero just date normally and then eventually find his true love?

I AGREE 100%. That and stop the whole detective thing. It is such a DC show thing to do.

Before you know it, they'll have Iris developing a habit of misspelling words on her news articles, while calling her boss "chief".

Maybe the show writers will go 52 and won't let Barry end up with Iris.

curious, has Barry ended up with someone else as the new love of his life in the New 52?

can someone explain this time travel to me? if barry went back in time, shouldn't there be two barrys? the one who belongs there and the one who traveled back in time? the way they did it doesn't make any sense, how can anyone say they handled it well?
Well, the show has established that there are potentially many forms of "time traveling", where the cause and effects of it can vary.

In this case, I believe that as soon as Barry ended up traveling back in time (albeit accidentally), the old version of him ceased to exist as that timeline was no longer valid with Barry's time travel.
Time Travel is so varied that every time a writer makes a time travel story they are making up their own rules. Some stories would have had two people. Some would theorize that if you time travel to a time when you are alive you'd inhabit your tim/self body (which is what they did here).
Time travel rules should be consistent.

We have been told that Barry has travelled to the past to try to save his mom, his older self was there when she was killed and his younger self from the past was also there, so this means that when a time traveller goes to the past, there is a younger version of himself in that past, no matter if he travels one day or 15 years, changing the rules depending of what the writer wants to do in each episode is just bad/lazy writing if they just don't explain why the results are different in each case.

Barry should have asked Wells/Thawne why there wasn't a one day younger version of himself if the night that his mom was killed there was an older version of himself and he (the kid) didn't disappear, and then Wells should have given him some kind of explanation, but the writer just didn't bother to explain anything, having two Flashes/Barrys would have complicated this episode's plot and they just changed the time travelling rules for no reason, and that is some serious bad writing, if this is not explained in future episodes I will feel deeply disappointed, because they have handled several aspects of the show pretty well so far and this cr*p would just ruin all the internal logic in such an important aspect (time travel).

I'm also going to b*tch/complain about how Barry should be able to defeat many of his enemies much more easily. I know this is a show based in comic books and that some overpowered superheroes are sometimes dumbed down instead of looking for ways to make their enemies stronger or more dangerous, just worthy rivals, but a good writer should be able to handle this kind of stuff in a more satisfying way.

Somebody else asked in last episode's thread why Barry didn't stop The Weather Wizard when he attacked Joe in his car, he was just in the car behind, Barry saved Joe and then he should have just easily caught The WW. Because Barry was ok, Joe was ok, both safe and alive, and The WW is right there and Barry is way faster than any car, why didn't he catch him and put him in the StarLabs' prison like he has done in this last episode? Couldn't have been any easier, but it seems like if The WW just escaped with his car and Barry did nothing about it.

Then The WW goes to the police station and Barry uses that stick instead of knocking him out right there, The WW wouldn't even see him coming, just a super speed punch and game over, same thing he should do with other villains like Cold or Heatwave.

With Cold the writers used the idea of some kind of thing that his gun did to slow down Barry, but we should see that in every episode with Cold, otherwise there is no reason why Barry can't just get the guns out of Cold's and Heatwave's hands before they can even realize.

Barry should have easily stopped the three "rogues" in this last episode, making a deal with Cold was just ridiculous, he lets them go when they don't have why to keep their word and they could put a lot of people in danger again and tell his true identity anyway, Barry barely knows Cold, he shouldn't trust him, much less when he has his own prison in StarLabs, he should just put them there and this way they can't tell anyone that he is The Flash.

Just because they don't have any powers doesn't make the prison invalid for them, just look for a good cell where to lock them and they will be better than in any other prison. Or just put them in a prison in the other side of the world where nobody speaks english and nobody knows them and nobody gives a d*mn about The Flash's identity.

And if Oliver Queen "proved" somehow that he was not The Arrow, Barry could easily do the same to fool everybody using his speed, RF has been doing it pretty well(s) so far, and even if Barry is not as powerful and experienced as RF yet, he could think about a billion ways to "prove" that he is not The Flash, or a billion ways to trick Cold or to avoid that he ever tells anybody his secret identity.

I don't know, anything would have been better that what we have seen in this episode.

Another thing the writers should explain is why the "Arrow Team" doesn't call Barry for help when they could need him. They should have his number on speed dial (*badum tsss*), so if Ra's Al Ghul and his League Of Assassins or Brick and his thugs are bothering them and putting a lot of lives in danger, they should just call the guy with super speed that can save the day in a question of seconds.

Do you need to extract Malcolm Merlyn from Nanda Parbat? Why are you going to risk your own life and the life of your friend (Dig) if Barry can do the job before anybody could notice it? Do you have a duel against Ra's and he is a much more skilled fighter than you? Barry is not such a good swordsman, but he can certainly beat Ra's pretty easily. Brick is threatening Starling's cops and all the people in The Glades and The Arrow is not showing up because he is supposedly dead? Hey Felicity, what if you called Barry for help?

And before anyone tells me that Barry couldn't win in his fight against Oliver in the team-up episodes and Ra's is a much better warrior than Oliver, those episodes once again proved that the writers need to dumb down Barry, the only excuse could be that he was not himself and that's why he didn't beat the **** out of Oliver, but the fight they had later in the last scene that was cut by the credits probably finished with Barry owning Oliver pretty hard, because no matter how good of a fighter and how experienced he is, Oliver moves in slow motion for Barry, and same thing happens with everybody else, including Ra's, Brick, Cold, The Weather Wizard, etc...

Sorry, I had to write all of this, because I think that the writers should do something about it, at least I'm not going to write about my other problems with the writing in Arrow, just the stuff that is Flash's related. XD

I like both shows though, and The Flash is really good, but there are a few things bothering me and I just had to get it out of my system. I especially hope that the time travel stuff is explained somehow in future episodes, because the RF's plot is the most interesting one so far and I would hate that it was ruined by lazy/bad writing.

Last edited:
I'll ask before I read the issue.
Was it because old Barry is a jerk?

Actually
The damage future Barry did caused Patty's view of current Barry to be affected so she left him the moment he came home

Love this series, but was hoping Mason would last longer. Oh well, the actor is still on General Hospital.

This may sound crazy but really the only girl I can see Barry with is Caitlin each episode proves more and more why she is the best girl for him. That last scene with them was way better than the whole Barry/Iris scenes and they got the cutest shipper name Snowbarry :yay: Barry/Iris reminds me of Clark/Lana while Barry/Caitlin reminds me of Clark/Lois.

I don't hate Iris. I hate what the writers are doing to her character and how they're handling the whole romance. If anything, i'm beginning to wonder if the writers really like her that much given that they seem to portray her as selffish, shallow, and cruel. If anything the portrayal of her seems kinda like a "nice guy's" revenge fantasy . I don't think the writers are doing her any favors at all, and if anything seem to be sabotaging her character themselves.

Iris's position is, or at least should be, perfectly understandable . She's considered this guy a brother / friend her whole life and she never thought of him in a romantic way. Then suddenly after 15 years he tells her how she feels. She's stunned, then next thing she knows he's in a new relationship and telling Iris the feelings he kept for 15 years are gone and he's moved on. I mean if anything, Iris should be still trying to come to terms with the reveal right before she's about to move in with her boyfriend. Her feelings are understandable and we should be seeing how tough this would be for her. However, there's zero nuance and subtly to her feelings and the position that shes in.

Instead she's reduced to passive aggressive attempts at derailing Barry and Linda, totally being insensitive to Eddie's feelings, then basically crushing on the Flash on the side. Then the writers have their cake and eat it too after Barry goes back in time and the previous status quo is restored. I criticize the writers for making her that way because it really isn't fair to her character and it turns the audience against her. Candice Patton has a good gig being on a hit show so, right on for her, but the writers have really bungled her character imo.
Sums up my feelings as well.

Time travel rules should be consistent.

We have been told that Barry has travelled to the past to try to save his mom, his older self was there when she was killed and his younger self from the past was also there, so this means that when a time traveller goes to the past, there is a younger version of himself in that past, no matter if he travels one day or 15 years, changing the rules depending of what the writer wants to do in each episode is just bad/lazy writing if they just don't explain why the results are different in each case.

Barry should have asked Wells/Thawne why there wasn't a one day younger version of himself if the night that his mom was killed there was an older version of himself and he (the kid) didn't disappear, and then Wells should have given him some kind of explanation, but the writer just didn't bother to explain anything, having two Flashes/Barrys would have complicated this episode's plot and they just changed the time travelling rules for no reason, and that is some serious bad writing, if this is not explained in future episodes I will feel deeply disappointed, because they have handled several aspects of the show pretty well so far and this cr*p would just ruin all the internal logic in such an important aspect (time travel).
But I think they did address it in the episode when he sees his "ghost." The current Barry that traveled in the past slowed down to the previous day, while the Barry he saw on his left was still moving forward, so they never really cross paths.

Last edited:
In the other timeline the reporter teased he had evidence on Harrison Wells on a drive. The guy tells him that and then he disappears he'd have be really naive not to put those two together.

It's still a leap from believing Wells entirely to "You were right about everything" is a bit much, if it had started Barry looking into Wells then sure, but he did a complete 180.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"