The Dark Knight Rises The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw this movie this afternoon and I'm still processing my thoughts on this final Nolan Bat-epic.

I will say first and foremost that it is a really damn good movie. From beginning to end it is a vision to behold. One of the many things that I love about Nolan's take on the genre is that he never repeats himself. I know some are disappointed it isn't the same formula or pacing as TDK (i.e. a movie in perpetual-climax/crisis) or that it doesn't follow the basic three-act structure of most superhero movies like BB does or the other two superhero films this summer did....but I love Nolan instead tried to merge this film into a sort of revolutionary/apocalyptic epic of the likes of Doctor Zhivago or Lord of the Flies. I am still not sure if he was entirely as successful at this attempt as he has been in his previous ambitions, but even so it works strongly and effectively and left me awed by the end.

I feel that BB and TDK are Nolan's serious attempts at adapting Batman's mythology to screen. I look at them and I see a definitive cinematic interpretation of multiple sources (Year One, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, etc.) and while I note the obvious influences on this film (Knightfall/Knightsend and No Man's Land), it is entirely Nolan's vision of the character. I still question if anyone can do Batman better on screen than TDK as that movie nailed the dawning of his mythology spreading wide open. And with his next film, Nolan has chosen to speed into its twilight. But to complete his vision for a 3-film arc it works. It's as much Dickens as it is Dixon or whoever wrote No Man's Land. And I love that about this movie.

Individually, Bale was fantastic and at his best of these three films. After having to share the lead with Ledger and Eckhart last movie, Bale's Bruce/Batman is squarely the lead of the film again. And he takes it home. I felt every painful sting of his masterful journey towards "rising" and ultimately, ascendancy. I was said to see Gary Oldman, such a strong factor of TDK, relegated to a more supporting role in this film, but in his diminished role, Michael Caine is allowed to shine. I loved Caine's Alfred in the last two, but I didn't feel how strong his rapport was with Bale's Bruce until this film and [blackout]Alfred leaves.[/blackout] If anyone gets an acting nomination for this film (and no one will, sadly) it should be Michael Caine's astounding work here.

As for the villains: I deeply enjoyed Tom Hardy as Bane. I know comic book purists complain that he isn't muscular enough or his mask should have looked like a Mexican wrestler, etc. etc. All I can say is: who cares? He nailed the role of a brutal force of existential destruction with a dizzying intellect. But the real surprise?

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. When it was announced she was cast as Selina Kyle, I stayed cautiously supportive of her and Nolan. She had impressed me in Rachel Getting Married and Brokeback Mountain so unlike those who judged her as a Disney princess/or the romcom girl, I knew she could act. Still, I admit I had trouble seeing her as Selina Kyle. But she nailed it. She knocked it out of the park into the parking lot where she sprinted out, grabbed the ball before anyone else could and ran away with it and the rest of the movie. I loved her version of Catwoman so much, I consider it a crying shame that she isn't in the film more than she is. She and Bale needed more scenes together, because they were electric in the few that they did have.

All that said, this movie had its fair share of problems. I think by starting it with the choice of having Batman retired and building it to a French styled revolution at the end with Bane as Robespierre, Glenn Beck, Occupy Wall Street, the Tea Party and every other type of populist backlash/opportunistic demagogue complete with Batman having to [blackout]Rocky himself out of a broken back[/blackout] made for a very sparse film with a lot of moving bits. And unlike TDK or even Inception, I don't feel like Nolan is able to keep all the balls in the air smoothly and without problems. It's very uneven and it feels like so much is happening at once and becomes very dizzying. I'm glad I'm seeing it again tomorrow with some friends who haven't seen it yet, because while I understand the broad strokes, the details felt at times very muddled and this is from someone who thought Inception, The Prestige and Memento were very easy pieces of plotting to understand on their first viewings.

As for the ending....

I am totally fine with how it ended. I admit that I called from when Alfred talked about imagining seeing Bruce with his "wife" in a cafe in Florence that the movie would end with him and Selina Kyle there. And for me, that made Batman's "sacrifice" at the end an emotional because I felt Nolan telegraphed the ending in the first act. But in our party of 4, I was the only one who caught that, so I can't feel like it was too obvious.

I loved Bane and Batman's final confrontation. I have no problems with Talia pulling Bane's strings as it seemed more like a partnership to me than her manipulating him. And again, while I knew she was Talia form the word go, I have read too many comics and otherwise she'd seem too peripheral and unimportant beyond the damsel role for Nolan's style. It worked for me as long as I ignore the comics and made for a satisfying ending. It also had my favorite lines in the movie:

BANE: You and I both know I have to kill you now. Just pretend you can feel the heat.

CATWOMAN: I'm not a big fan of your no-guns rule.

BTW, all the haters finally got Robin....and then cut to credits! :oldrazz:

So, overall I liked the movie and the ending, even if I wasn't as on the edge-of-my seat as the last two Nolan Bat-films. I'm still not sure which I like better, BB or TDKR. Either way this is masterful filmmaking. It may have problems, but like other satisfying trilogy closers (ROTJ and ROTK for me), if it closes the book gracefully enough on the story threads of the first two, I am more forgiving if it is more bogged down the inherent problems of third installments. This one does have more issues, but like the tile, it rises above them in triumphant fashion.

On its own: 8.5/10

As a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy: 9/10

My review.

We saw this movie this afternoon and I'm still processing my thoughts on this final Nolan Bat-epic.

I will say first and foremost that it is a really damn good movie. From beginning to end it is a vision to behold. One of the many things that I love about Nolan's take on the genre is that he never repeats himself. I know some are disappointed it isn't the same formula or pacing as TDK (i.e. a movie in perpetual-climax/crisis) or that it doesn't follow the basic three-act structure of most superhero movies like BB does or the other two superhero films this summer did....but I love Nolan instead tried to merge this film into a sort of revolutionary/apocalyptic epic of the likes of Doctor Zhivago or Lord of the Flies. I am still not sure if he was entirely as successful at this attempt as he has been in his previous ambitions, but even so it works strongly and effectively and left me awed by the end.

I feel that BB and TDK are Nolan's serious attempts at adapting Batman's mythology to screen. I look at them and I see a definitive cinematic interpretation of multiple sources (Year One, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, etc.) and while I note the obvious influences on this film (Knightfall/Knightsend and No Man's Land), it is entirely Nolan's vision of the character. I still question if anyone can do Batman better on screen than TDK as that movie nailed the dawning of his mythology spreading wide open. And with his next film, Nolan has chosen to speed into its twilight. But to complete his vision for a 3-film arc it works. It's as much Dickens as it is Dixon or whoever wrote No Man's Land. And I love that about this movie.

Individually, Bale was fantastic and at his best of these three films. After having to share the lead with Ledger and Eckhart last movie, Bale's Bruce/Batman is squarely the lead of the film again. And he takes it home. I felt every painful sting of his masterful journey towards "rising" and ultimately, ascendancy. I was said to see Gary Oldman, such a strong factor of TDK, relegated to a more supporting role in this film, but in his diminished role, Michael Caine is allowed to shine. I loved Caine's Alfred in the last two, but I didn't feel how strong his rapport was with Bale's Bruce until this film and [blackout]Alfred leaves.[/blackout] If anyone gets an acting nomination for this film (and no one will, sadly) it should be Michael Caine's astounding work here.

As for the villains: I deeply enjoyed Tom Hardy as Bane. I know comic book purists complain that he isn't muscular enough or his mask should have looked like a Mexican wrestler, etc. etc. All I can say is: who cares? He nailed the role of a brutal force of existential destruction with a dizzying intellect. But the real surprise?

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. When it was announced she was cast as Selina Kyle, I stayed cautiously supportive of her and Nolan. She had impressed me in Rachel Getting Married and Brokeback Mountain so unlike those who judged her as a Disney princess/or the romcom girl, I knew she could act. Still, I admit I had trouble seeing her as Selina Kyle. But she nailed it. She knocked it out of the park into the parking lot where she sprinted out, grabbed the ball before anyone else could and ran away with it and the rest of the movie. I loved her version of Catwoman so much, I consider it a crying shame that she isn't in the film more than she is. She and Bale needed more scenes together, because they were electric in the few that they did have.

All that said, this movie had its fair share of problems. I think by starting it with the choice of having Batman retired and building it to a French styled revolution at the end with Bane as Robespierre, Glenn Beck, Occupy Wall Street, the Tea Party and every other type of populist backlash/opportunistic demagogue complete with Batman having to [blackout]Rocky himself out of a broken back[/blackout] made for a very sparse film with a lot of moving bits. And unlike TDK or even Inception, I don't feel like Nolan is able to keep all the balls in the air smoothly and without problems. It's very uneven and it feels like so much is happening at once and becomes very dizzying. I'm glad I'm seeing it again tomorrow with some friends who haven't seen it yet, because while I understand the broad strokes, the details felt at times very muddled and this is from someone who thought Inception, The Prestige and Memento were very easy pieces of plotting to understand on their first viewings.

As for the ending....

I am totally fine with how it ended. I admit that I called from when Alfred talked about imagining seeing Bruce with his "wife" in a cafe in Florence that the movie would end with him and Selina Kyle there. And for me, that made Batman's "sacrifice" at the end an emotional because I felt Nolan telegraphed the ending in the first act. But in our party of 4, I was the only one who caught that, so I can't feel like it was too obvious.

I loved Bane and Batman's final confrontation. I have no problems with Talia pulling Bane's strings as it seemed more like a partnership to me than her manipulating him. And again, while I knew she was Talia form the word go, I have read too many comics and otherwise she'd seem too peripheral and unimportant beyond the damsel role for Nolan's style. It worked for me as long as I ignore the comics and made for a satisfying ending. It also had my favorite lines in the movie:

BANE: You and I both know I have to kill you now. Just pretend you can feel the heat.

CATWOMAN: I'm not a big fan of your no-guns rule.

BTW, all the haters finally got Robin....and then cut to credits! :oldrazz:

So, overall I liked the movie and the ending, even if I wasn't as on the edge-of-my seat as the last two Nolan Bat-films. I'm still not sure which I like better, BB or TDKR. Either way this is masterful filmmaking. It may have problems, but like other satisfying trilogy closers (ROTJ and ROTK for me), if it closes the book gracefully enough on the story threads of the first two, I am more forgiving if it is more bogged down the inherent problems of third installments. This one does have more issues, but like the tile, it rises above them in triumphant fashion.

On its own: 8.5/10

As a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy: 9/10

My review.

My biggest complaint comes from the style of the film more than the length. I think it was crowded to a fault, but I can deal with that. My bigger problem is that Nolan meshed two styles, that don't match. This movie is heavily inspired by No Man's Land (at least that is the vibe I got). My problem with this is, in the world that Nolan spent two films creating, you can't have No Man's Land. It is too out there for the world these movies take place in. It is like trying to recruit Harry Potter into The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The styles just don't mesh. A movie can be Oscar bait and a movie can be The Avengers, but it can't be both. This movie tries to be both. And therefore the serious moments lack levity and the more fantastic elements like the prison of wise, kindly old war criminals and the No Man's Land-esque plot of Bane feel silly and over the top.
To me, Batman's imprisonment and his recovery were one the most over the top, absurd things I've seen. It was utterly ridiculous. His leg is all effed up, needs help to walk, has his back broken and all he did to heal was put a hope around his waist, stand straight up, do a few push-ups and jump. :doh::doh: And after this, nothing is ever mentioned again about his body being tired...:doh::doh: This completely goes against all the realism Nolan infused in this trilogy to the point it became completely unbelievable. The movie lost me there. Moreover, I just didn't like the prison concept at all. I mean, all you had to do is jump over a step?!!?!?!?!?!?!:doh::doh:

Last edited:
Let me ask you this, If this movie had a shorter run time say, 1 hour 50 minutes, Bat in self imposed exile just for One year, fewer characters think just Bane, No Selina, no Talia, no Blake, No Foley, No Dagget, No pit, No Bomb with the plot that Bane is now the leader of LOS that wants revenge on Batman (not Gotham) for killing Ras.

And just two fights between the two first one where Bane beats the Bat and the last one where Batman defeats Bane, with Bat not retiring at the end, would That have made the movie Batter ?

I don't know. You just described an entirely different movie that wasn't made. It is impossible for me to weigh in on what that movie would be. That said, my problem has less to do with the convoluted nature and more to do with the thematic/stylistic clashing that I described in this post to be honest:

My biggest complaint comes from the style of the film more than the length. I think it was crowded to a fault, but I can deal with that. My bigger problem is that Nolan meshed two styles, that don't match. This movie is heavily inspired by No Man's Land (at least that is the vibe I got). My problem with this is, in the world that Nolan spent two films creating, you can't have No Man's Land. It is too out there for the world these movies take place in. It is like trying to recruit Harry Potter into The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The styles just don't mesh. A movie can be Oscar bait and a movie can be The Avengers, but it can't be both. This movie tries to be both. And therefore the serious moments lack levity and the more fantastic elements like the prison of wise, kindly old war criminals and the No Man's Land-esque plot of Bane feel silly and over the top.

Last edited:
EWSH4.jpg

The Dark Knight Rises

This took my breath away, It's a Batman film that has a fitting closure to it's arch. I saw this in IMAX, which... holy sh** it blew me away. I've seen films shot limited scenes in IMAX but this was just grand. Acting wise everyone pretty much nailed it, I actually love seeing this version of Bale as a broken Bruce Wayne. Hathaway was oozing with charisma just like Tom Hardy's Bane. Bane was frightening to see and the fight sequences was astounding for a Nolan film.
I do have to admit the beginning of the film (minus the prologue) felt off to me because it felt like it was moving too fast and a lot of info was being said (could be the editing). Once it gets to near the halfway point it found it's pacing and from then on it was golden. The ending was so well done, I was literally breathless for those last 10 or so minutes. Everything I wanted for this series came true (in one form or another). Kudos Nolan, you've done it.

10/10

Also this was my reaction leaving the theater:
10zagzs.jpg

Let me ask you this, If this movie had a shorter run time say, 1 hour 50 minutes, Bat in self imposed exile just for One year, fewer characters think just Bane, No Selina, no Talia, no Blake, No Foley, No Dagget, No pit, No Bomb with the plot that Bane is now the leader of LOS that wants revenge on Batman (not Gotham) for killing Ras.

And just two fights between the two first one where Bane beats the Bat and the last one where Batman defeats Bane, with Bat not retiring at the end, would That have made the movie Batter ?
Exactly.

Nolan is a storyteller. And this story had to be a long one. Anything less and we would have gotten something similar to other comic-based films out there...a fun, but forgettable experience.

Exactly.

Nolan is a storyteller. And this story had to be a long one. Anything less and we would have gotten something similar to other comic-based films out there...a fun, but forgettable experience.

And this snobbish attitude is why I avoid the Batboards like the plague. It prevents any real discussion when people automatically jump up on some Nolan > everything pedestal. Good night, ladies and gentlemen. :)

How can anyone give this movie a 10 out 10 is beyond me.

well because people have what we call opinions. Its what keeps us from all liking and hating the same things. Some people like this movie, some people love it, some people dislike this movie, some people hate it. Opinions. Everyone has one

How can anyone give this movie a 10 out 10 is beyond me.

The other reason that I avoid the Batboards. Two extremes, no room for a good discussion in the middle.

To give this movie a 10 out 10 would completely ignore the robin cop-out, stupid and incredibly unrealistic recovery, lack of Alfred for 1 hour of the movie, nuclear device that made no sense and mess of a plot.

To me, Batman's imprisonment and his recovery were one the most over the top, absurd things I've seen. It was utterly ridiculous. His leg is all effed up, needs help to walk, has his back broken and all he did to heal was put a hope around his waist, stand straight up, do a few push-ups and jump. :doh::doh: And after this, nothing is ever mentioned again about his body being tired...:doh::doh: This completely goes against all the realism Nolan infused in this trilogy to the point it became completely unbelievable. The movie lost me there. Moreover, I just didn't like the prison concept at all. I mean, all you had to do is jump over a step?!!?!?!?!?!?!:doh::doh:

1. I think 3 months had passed while he was in the prison. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Yeah, Nolan could have shown him having chronic injuries from his back and legs after prison, but I can live with what was not shown. He was a ninja after all.

3. The movie is supposed to be based in a certain amount of realism, but lets not forget this is still a superhero comic BATMAN film lol.

4. "All you had to do is jump over a step" Definitely not that easy. What he had to do was take a blind leap of faith with the only thought that he would make it or die. There was no second chance. He could not make the jumps previously, because he had the rope and the rope symbolized failure and trying to get. To borrow from Star Wars, there is no try. Bruce had to make the jump or die trying. In the jail he learned to live and not fear death in addition to not welcoming death. He had to learn to live and do what he must or die doing so.

That's why the [BLACKOUT]Talia[/BLACKOUT] made it. There was nothing to go back to if [BLACKOUT]she[/BLACKOUT] failed. She was already in hell, dying by living there so it was either make it out or die.

Saw this movie today and I absolutely loved it. Was kind of shocked to see how little people came into the theater, it was barely crowded at all.

I think that this movie was overhyped in that people had unrealistic expectations about how great the film would be. What a lot of people don't understand is that this is the last film, and Nolan needed to tie up any loose ends and complete the character arc. This is it - there's no sequel coming out to explain what happens to these people.

Minor things I disliked:

Bane's voice - In a lot of scenes, you could tell they redubbed it, and because of that, Hardy's voice lacks any emotion whatsoever. In the Prologue scene, his voice is not at all influenced by the fact that he's on a plane and whatnot. In the scenes, however, where they didn't do as much ADR, it sounded awesome. Very Vaderesque and very epic. Tom Hardy = :up::up:

When Batman returns back to Gotham - How did this even happen, like at all? Bruce [BLACKOUT]comes out of the pit[/BLACKOUT], stands there for two seconds, and then all of the sudden gets back into Gotham City which is being heavily guarded by mercenary terrorist. This would have been a great opportunity to reintroduce Alfred, asking him for a favor and wishing him good luck, saying goodbye, etc. Failed opportunity there.

Overall though, I enjoyed the film and I cannot wait to see it in IMAX.

I give it a 9.9999999 out of 10

All I wanted was a "holy something something" batman line... Didn't have to be from Blake.
And instead of cat women on the batpod chasing talia it should have been Blake.
Good robin nod. Just would have been weird with Selina helping the orphans.

After seeing it for the 2nd time and digesting everything, I liked it WAYYYYYYY better now.

10/10

I think this movie will become a masterpiece over time for fans of the trilogy.

And this snobbish attitude is why I avoid the Batboards like the plague. It prevents any real discussion when people automatically jump up on some Nolan > everything pedestal. Good night, ladies and gentlemen. :)
Snobbish? I grow weary of the same ol' superhero film that spends most of it's first half on the villain's origin and the finale on the hero rescuing his girlfriend from said villain with a paint by numbers plot. And, yes, I appreciate it when a filmmaker incorporates some originality into a Batman film.

If that makes me a snob, I guess I'll own it.

Some people rate on different scales for different genres. I love TDK but would never try to compare or rate it with a schindler's list or saving private ryan.

When I rate TDK a 10/10 and TDKR a 9/10 i rate on the scale of other movies in the genre.

This movie was WAY too long. Had they cut 40 mins of BS, maybe I wouldn't feel that bad about it. In fact, i`m going to pretend this movie never existed and just think of TDK as the end.

I didn't think it felt too long as much as it did just overstuffed with too much subplot...much of which would end being spelled-out verbally in long monlogues anyway. It strangely felt like it almost needed more time, or maybe two films to really get things to feel right instead of having to go from A-B-C and 'make the bus', so to speak. But in reality, it could've benefitted more from leaving more stuff out.

This is where the movie lost you!? No no no no you're wrong, THE DARK KNIGHT was infused a great deal of realism, BATMAN BEGINS on the other hand...
Did you really buy that Bruce Wayne, someone who was just inducted into this secret ninja society (which is unbelievable enough alone) that has been influencing the world throughout time, is some how all of a sudden the leader of and able to take down all these assassins who could have been trained since birth? Then you were willing to believe the whole Tumbler chase could ever happen, not to mention without casualties?

Look you're being WAY too hard on this movie, just because it has Return of the Jedi syndrome. Remember when it came out and everyone said it was easily the weakest of the Star Wars movies and not very good, because they're expectations were for it to top Empire? Well there were TONS of people who felt that way...then they saw the Phantom Menace and things went into perspective.

The fact is the Dark Knight was one of the best movies of all time and this could not possibly live up to the expectations most people had. I mean look at your complaints. They're all extremely knitpicky, and you're acting like this is some how a bad movie because of them. Had this movie been following Begins I'm sure it would have been better received, but the hype, as it tends to do, brought it down.

I'm going to go watch this again tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"