The Full List of "Crimes" Committed by Fox's Tom Rothman

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's the reason that if I one day ever become a filmmaker, I know now to stay the hell away from Fox studios.

As long as he's there of course :cwink:

Remember Fox is also responsible for Alien , Aliens, Star Wars , The Abyss and many other great classics

Last edited:
IMO two BIG different things.
ok ridley scott is BIG. but james cameron is on another level. the guy made titanic. and the guy was planning this movie for years. there is no way that some guy will screw it up.
i am watching interviews on youtuve from cameron and he doesnt look like a guy who would even belive a studio.

IMO it's the same Ridley Scott is just as stubborn as Cameron , only he hasn't pushed his cast to near-madness the way Cameron does. It is true that Cameron has a "dont mess with me " attitude when it comes to his movies.

But times change. Like i said earlier nowadays studios are really getting cautious when a budget is getting bigger and bigger.
And Avatar isn't Titanic. Titanic was a teen girl wet dream in a time when internet piracy didn't even exist. Movies could play longer in cinemas.
Today if a movie can manage to have repeat value for longer then a month , it's considered a classic. Titanic had the benefit of staying in cinemas for a very long time.

But now Rothman is focusing on releasing movies that are commercial . Often that means a movie with a running time of around 1.30 hrs.
I have no idea how long Cameron will make Avatar but i doubt it'll be as short as 1.30 hrs.
And again while Cameron is saying that he's trying to have the audience experience a whole new thing , you still need the public to get interested. And not all 3-D movie are a success. If that were the case , Beowulf would've been a huge hit. It wasn't.

At this point i have no idea how Rothman can make Avatar a commercial movie , but i wouldn't be surprised if he messed with Cameron as well.

Before the reign of Tom Rothman:o

Which is why i said

He's the reason that if I one day ever become a filmmaker, I know now to stay the hell away from Fox studios.

Remember Fox is also responsible for Alien , Aliens, Star Wars , The Abyss and many other great classics

:cwink:

It's not the studio that messes with filmmakers , it's the studio exec. that mess it up.

If Rothman forces Cameron away from Fox... that will be the end of him.

So on the one hand, I want Cameron's mind blowing Avatar... on the other, I want Cameron's masterpiece to be ripped to shreds by Rothman so everyone cannot deny the man's ego gets in the way of his business and that way he can be s**tcanned and tossed out.

IMO it's the same Ridley Scott is just as stubborn as Cameron , only he hasn't pushed his cast to near-madness the way Cameron does. It is true that Cameron has a "dont mess with me " attitude when it comes to his movies.

But times change. Like i said earlier nowadays studios are really getting cautious when a budget is getting bigger and bigger.
And Avatar isn't Titanic. Titanic was a teen girl wet dream in a time when internet piracy didn't even exist. Movies could play longer in cinemas.
Today if a movie can manage to have repeat value for longer then a month , it's considered a classic. Titanic had the benefit of staying in cinemas for a very long time.

But now Rothman is focusing on releasing movies that are commercial . Often that means a movie with a running time of around 1.30 hrs.
I have no idea how long Cameron will make Avatar but i doubt it'll be as short as 1.30 hrs.
And again while Cameron is saying that he's trying to have the audience experience a whole new thing , you still need the public to get interested. And not all 3-D movie are a success. If that were the case , Beowulf would've been a huge hit. It wasn't.

At this point i have no idea how Rothman can make Avatar a commercial movie , but i wouldn't be surprised if he messed with Cameron as well.
this is going now for years with rothman. you really think that Cameron is coming on the set and knows nothing?
again cameron looks like a very inteligent men. this movie will be IMO hes dream come true. i think he knows with who he is working. he must have a special contract .
this is not a director being aproached to do a movie. this is all james cameron work. there is no rothman painting a set or doing a short cut of the movie.

Which is why i said

:cwink:

It's not the studio that messes with filmmakers , it's the studio exec. that mess it up.
Which is why we hate Fox right now:o And from the way he is making money...who is to say the next exec. won't be Tom Rothman Jr.:csad:

Yeah man, X2 was teh sh¡t
X2 makes me happy.

Oh, barf. Are you serious?
QUINT: I remember before Paul W.S. Anderson did ALIEN VS PREDATOR it came out that you kind of made an offer to do another ALIEN film with Ridley Scott...

JAMES CAMERON: Yeah. Ridley and I talked about doing another ALIEN film and I said to 20th Century Fox that I would develop a 5th ALIEN film. I started working on a story, I was working with another writer and Fox came back to me and said, "We've got this really good script for ALIEN VS PREDATOR and I got pretty upset. I said, "You do that you're going to kill the validity of the franchise in my mind." Because to me, that was FRANKENSTEIN MEETS WEREWOLF. It was Universal just taking their assets and starting to play them off against each other.
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22405

You know both sides of the argument need to be posted here.
While Rothman declined Cameron's offer to direct Alien 5 , Cameron did say he did like AvP alot .
In the same interview

QUINT: I remember before Paul W.S. Anderson did ALIEN VS PREDATOR it came out that you kind of made an offer to do another ALIEN film with Ridley Scott...
JAMES CAMERON: Yeah. Ridley and I talked about doing another ALIEN film and I said to 20th Century Fox that I would develop a 5th ALIEN film. I started working on a story, I was working with another writer and Fox came back to me and said, "We've got this really good script for ALIEN VS PREDATOR and I got pretty upset. I said, "You do that you're going to kill the validity of the franchise in my mind." Because to me, that was FRANKENSTEIN MEETS WEREWOLF. It was Universal just taking their assets and starting to play them off against each other.

QUINT: Milking it, totally.
JAMES CAMERON: Milking it. So, I stopped work. Then I saw ALIEN VS PREDATOR and it was actually pretty good. (laughs) I think of the 5 ALIEN films, I'd rate it 3rd.

QUINT: Ummm...
JAMES CAMERON: I actually liked it. I actually liked it a lot.

Reminds me that some directors aren't snobbish people who like François Truffaut and actually do enjoy dumb fun movies . Kinda like how Spielberg is big buds with Michael Bay.

this is going now for years with rothman. you really think that Cameron is coming on the set and knows nothing?
again cameron looks like a very inteligent men. this movie will be IMO hes dream come true. i think he knows with who he is working. he must have a special contract .
this is not a director being aproached to do a movie. this is all james cameron work. there is no rothman painting a set or doing a short cut of the movie.

Some directors always make movies with certain studios because they have a long , productive working relationship with them.
Like Spielberg had with Universal and Paramount or the wachowski's with Warner Bros.
Same with Cameron.

I agree with you that it's him who comes to the studio. Usually the directors get offered scripts to direct but with the big guys they're just looking at certain properties and when the time is right , they just go the studio and make it.

But Rothman has a different status at the studio. He's the head guy meaning that any director who's working at Fox will have to deal with him. It's like how every director at WB deals with Jeff Robinov. ALl studioheads will think business first but they also know when to back off. Look at Zach Snyder. He made 300 which was a very profitable movie for WB and when he was making Watchmen he still had to work deal with studio heads who were saying that Watchmen should be PG-13. Still based on his success of 300 , Robinov gave Snyder enough freedome to let him do as he wants and and allowed Watchmen to have a R rating.

Now Zach Snyder isn't Ridley Scott. At least not yet :cwink::oldrazz: , but if Ridley Scott can get messed over by Rothman , then there really is no guarentee that Cameron isn't safe.

Fox is not responsible for Star Wars. That's ALL Lucas. Fox only distributed Star Wars, they had no other imput into these movies.

He could just be being cordial, or he could legitimately like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"