The Gaming Lounge: Beyond - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody explain the origin thing, more specific why EA is punishing them and why they're not punishing Sony (I have yet to hear from Microsoft for next gen so this "partnership" from Microsoft could be that).

Can somebody explain the origin thing, more specific why EA is punishing them and why they're not punishing Sony (I have yet to hear from Microsoft for next gen so this "partnership" from Microsoft could be that).

None of this is confirmed, but it seems to be the commonly accepted story in the gaming press; Basically, EA's "unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo was going to be that Nintendo would use EA's Origin service for all of its online capabilities and Nintendo went in a different direction at the last minute.

That makes Nintendo sound like the bad guy (and I'm not trying to white knight them, they've been infamously difficult to work with in the past), but it's also commonly accepted that none of the major publishers (including EA) had any real interest in the Wii U beyond quick and dirty ports and shovelware anyway.

Last edited:
Even if they wouldn't have done that, I guess it's a waste of time to develop games for a console, when they barely sell at all. One of the comments provided a link to Fifa's vgchartz. Just sad.

I really hate the Origin service, mostly since a screwup cost me a chance to platinum Need For Speed Most Wanted. Even when I tried to make things right with them, they were so incompetent at fixing a simple problem.

None of this is confirmed, but it seems to be the commonly accepted story in the gaming press; Basically, EA's "unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo was going to be that Nintendo would use EA's Origin service for all of its online capabilities and Nintendo went in a different direction at the last minute.

That makes Nintendo sound like the bad guy (and I'm not trying to white knight them, they've been infamously difficult to work with in the past), but it's also commonly accepted that none of the major publishers (including EA) had any real interest in the Wii U beyond quick and dirty ports and shovelware anyway.

So pretty much Nintendo screwed EA over by promising them that they will use Origin, and Nintendo created even more problems with third party developers?

Don't tell IGN that. I'm really getting tired of both their "reporting" and the commenters there.

I love Kotaku a lot more. I've also been getting into Giantbomb.

Even if they wouldn't have done that, I guess it's a waste of time to develop games for a console, when they barely sell at all. One of the comments provided a link to Fifa's vgchartz. Just sad.

I just looked at it.

DAMN! It's not even worth making for that. I even looked at other sports launch games for past consoles and they've done much better than what FIFA's been doing.

So pretty much Nintendo screwed EA over by promising them that they will use Origin, and Nintendo created even more problems with third party developers?

Don't tell IGN that. I'm really getting tired of both their "reporting" and the commenters there.

I love Kotaku a lot more. I've also been getting into Giantbomb.

I need to find a good games site. I go to Kotaku but I absolutely despise that place with the burning passion of a million suns.

I don't think iv ever really looked at Giantbomb

Giant Bomb isn't great for news and reviews. It's mostly a personality-driven site.

I need to find a good games site. I go to Kotaku but I absolutely despise that place with the burning passion of a million suns.

I don't think iv ever really looked at Giantbomb

I like Kotaku a thousand times more than IGN. I've been getting more and more sick of IGN's BS, especially their mishandling of reporting the business side of games, and using misleading and biased titles for articles to gain hits.

I pretty much go to Kotaku exclusively even though they sometimes post completely off-topic garbage.

I've only occasionally gone to GiantBomb since it's mostly cast-offs from GameSpot which I never cared for. It seems if they don't like a game, they'll REALLY rip it compared to other critics. Honestly though, most games I buy are based on feedback from members on message boards nowadays. I'll see people rave about a game and I'll get it on Steam when it's on sale.

Kotaku can get really frustrating when they just start posting random junk that is not even gaming related. Or when they just post whatever youtube video they found on reddit that day.

I used to go Kotaku a lot, but that's pretty much why I stopped a few years ago. I can only look at the same "Oh look, somebody made a video game-themed birthday cake!" article so many times.

I go to IGN mostly because I like some of the personalities there. If anything, I'm a bigger fan of some of the podcasts they do/used to do.

I liked some of the messageboards for IGN. Now that uni's done, I'm going back to Skyrim. I still haven't done a thing in there except goof around. I tried to kill the Jarl of Whiterun; I had found a route that let me hop the rocks near the wall. From there, I'd scale down the mountainside to the farms and flee into the wooded mountains. I'm still trying.

IGN Kotaku Gamespot Eurogamer

Anyone think that with the next gen, the increasing cost of making games combines with higher expectations for game sales will lead to another crash of the video game industry?

I'm starting to think another crash could be inevitable.

Anyone think that with the next gen, the increasing cost of making games combines with higher expectations for game sales will lead to another crash of the video game industry?

I'm starting to think another crash could be inevitable.

It's possible.

Publishers and devs are gonna have to figure out how to cut cost without sacrificing quality. It can be done as some devs are doing it now, but that's gonna have to become the norm.

Just another EA employee towing the company line after they were ******** about Nintendo not wanting to use Origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"