The Gaming Lounge: Beyond - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong...I often look at my WiiU in disgust that I paid 350 dollars for what is now a glorified NES/SNES (once they get the N64 games on the thing..I'll forget about that.. :p) but I just remind myself WHY I buy Nintendo stuff.

I buy Nintendo...For Nintendo. I, to this day, believe that they still give us some of the BEST first party titles out there. Is that all they have? Sometimes I could say that yes, that is all they have...But if what you have is the "best" have you really lost anything?

They just GOTTA get the ball rollin'. They will..I fully believe that. People declared the 3DS dead after a few months with absolutely NOTHING on it...Now it's a powerhouse like every Nintendo hand held before it.

Time will tell for Nintendo.

Just out of curiosity, would you prefer Nintendo to become solely software company? You sound like you're in a similar boat as me, only buying Nintendo consoles for their first party games (though I'm probably even more narrow on that as Zelda's about the only console exclusive I still REALLY care about). If you answer this, you don't have to take into account of what it would do to Nintendo as a company (as hardware is a big seller for them, financially I'm sure it'd hurt, and I doubt anyone wants them to go under). Also, we're NOT taking handhelds into account, just console wise. Nintendo handhelds are pretty much the only ones that hold my interest long term. So it'd be Nintendo still producing handhelds, just going full software for consoles.

Personally, I'd like it if they did. I'm all for competition bringing out the best in others. I don't think the PS3 games line up would have been as good as it's been this gen if Xbox wasn't breathing down it's neck. With Nintendo however, I feel they've become complacent. They've become far too comfortable with just releasing new versions of old series, and have almost abandoned the idea of releasing new game series. Several of their series (like Mario) just have lost all magic they once had for me. Zelda really is the only must have for me anymore that Nintendo itself produces. Games like Monster Hunter, and Dragonquest would then fall on their developers on if they wanted to put them on other systems, which would probably end up as another win for PS4/Xbox owners.

They've GOT to announce a MAJOR price drop. More so if the PS4 ends up only being 400 bones...

They'd be stupid not to...
no argument there . it's if they do it or not that's the issue though .

Just out of curiosity, would you prefer Nintendo to become solely software company? You sound like you're in a similar boat as me, only buying Nintendo consoles for their first party games (though I'm probably even more narrow on that as Zelda's about the only console exclusive I still REALLY care about). If you answer this, you don't have to take into account of what it would do to Nintendo as a company (as hardware is a big seller for them, financially I'm sure it'd hurt, and I doubt anyone wants them to go under). Also, we're NOT taking handhelds into account, just console wise. Nintendo handhelds are pretty much the only ones that hold my interest long term. So it'd be Nintendo still producing handhelds, just going full software for consoles.

Personally, I'd like it if they did. I'm all for competition bringing out the best in others. I don't think the PS3 games line up would have been as good as it's been this gen if Xbox wasn't breathing down it's neck. With Nintendo however, I feel they've become complacent. They've become far too comfortable with just releasing new versions of old series, and have almost abandoned the idea of releasing new game series. Several of their series (like Mario) just have lost all magic they once had for me. Zelda really is the only must have for me anymore that Nintendo itself produces. Games like Monster Hunter, and Dragonquest would then fall on their developers on if they wanted to put them on other systems, which would probably end up as another win for PS4/Xbox owners.

Part of me would love that. I still remember the big rumors of Nintendo and SONY becoming partners for the SNES-CD.

SNES-CD_add-on.jpg

For some reason or another Nintendo decided to back Phillips (a dumb mistake now...Obviously) and Sony ended up releasing their own system "The Playstation".

The rest is history...

So yeah..Part of me would like to see Nintendo produce first party games for the Playstation...yet at the same time something about that would feel...Just wrong.

First off, the Wii U is absolutely a next gen console.

Technically sure, but NO one is looking at the Wii U the way they are the PS4 and Durango. Not developers, not publishers and most certainly not consumers. The Wii U is dated hardware in a console cycle that has gone on too long as it is.

Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 won't support the Wii U, Epic VP Mark Rein said during GDC. During a theater presentation of the Infiltrator demo, Rein laughed and said "no" when asked if UE4 would run on Wii U.

"Unreal Engine 4 - we're not PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, or Wii U. It's next-gen technology. That's what we're aiming for,"

It has to do with the Wii U because publishers have chosen to outright ignore the Wii U in favor of betting it all on PS4 and Durango. If those two consoles fail to catch on like the Wii U, the publishers will look like complete fools and be in a real bad way by having pigeonholed themselves into developing super expensive games for consoles that theoretically might not have an install base much larger than the Wii U's.

No one is buying a Wii U tho nor does it look like people are going to start any time soon. Thats why they arent supporting it. It was never going to have a large install base because it was a console aimed at people who already had consoles. The Wii U is 5 years too late. Period.

And there's no way they would abandon an entire generation of hardware and go back to PS3 and 360. That's unprecedented and would cause some serious ****ing market confusion.

It would be no different than if they were to start developing for the Wii U after the launch of the PS4 and Durango. The Wii U is the 360/PS3, just with a much smaller install base.

Last edited:
Part of me would love that. I still remember the big rumors of Nintendo and SONY becoming partners for the SNES-CD.

SNES-CD_add-on.jpg

For some reason or another Nintendo decided to back Phillips (a dumb mistake now...Obviously) and Sony ended up releasing their own system "The Playstation".

The rest is history...

So yeah..Part of me would like to see Nintendo produce first party games for the Playstation...yet at the same time something about that would feel...Just wrong.

oh the reason for that was stated often, they wanted cd's to have refinement and cause of the load times and there were alot of complaints initially and mid cycle with consoles. they just waited the load issues out. or when it wasn't that much of a problem any more. it's been stated often enough.

I 'm serious baffled and amused right now. Was playing a spot of Monster Hunter after a long few rounds in Skyrim where my vampiric rampage in Whiterun was foiled by Nazeem, the snooty guy that asks if you've ever been to the Cloud District. Well...I was just interested in hunting some Gold Rathian and I'd found a room. But I left because two guys were getting into a tmi conversation, like how one guy's gf was bipolar and he was looking for a place of his own and I was feeling just a wee bit awkward in there. But I just wanted to hear your opinions, should certain personal subjects be kept in private messages on online gaming servers? I tend to think so because I'm there to play a game, not be an unwilling audience to a stranger's drama.

It's up to the individual. I personally don't care.

But in a gaming atmosphere it's awkward for those who just want to play a game though.

Eh i dont think it really matters. If they arent personally addressing you, why does it really matter. If it bothers one that much, find a different lobby or put the offending individuals on mute. Maybe that game lobby is the only time those individuals can communicate?

I'd say it's a case by case, and person to person issue.

On a personal level, I was raised to listen to others, especially if they have problems. Things like thinking about how an elderly person may not have talked to anyone that entire day leads me to say hi, and listen to them talk for 5 mins in stores in response to my hi. Simply because if me listening, and offering advice, improves their life, even by a little, it's worth it to me. So when someone is ranting in game about personal problems, I figure it's because things are bad enough they need to vent. Don't get me wrong, I hate internet drama with a passion, so when people get ******, and go out of their way to be rude during said rants, I ignore.

With others though, I can completely understand if they don't want to hear it. We play games for fun, a time killer, escapism, whatever. Listening to someone going into a depressing story can kill that fun. You also don't know when someone listening might be a kid, and your personal story might be too adult for them.

I'd just say, if it bothers you, let them know. If you don't have a mic, just put them on ignore. If you don't mind, just listen. Personally I don't like to talk about real life at all on the net. I'm not embarrassed about my life, job, love life, ect. I just don't care to discuss it, or make things too personal. I don't like logging into a game, and someone asking me how things are going with my girlfriend, or whatever. I also know some people love to laugh at, and troll on other peoples personal comments, and I have no interest in getting caught up in a meaningless argument.

That troll from EA took down his tweets and EA released this statement:

"EA has a strong partnership and an active agreement with Nintendo to develop games for the WiiU. Last year we released Mass Effect 3 and several of our EA Sports titles on that platform. So far, we have not announced any new titles for Wii U this year, but that does not preclude more games in the future."

Considering Microsoft axed the guy who tweeted that people should "deal with it" for an always-online console, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was fired, too.

I don't understand how he could tweet something like that in the first place. Was he drunk, or just plain stupid?

People are so stupid with Twitter, it's baffling.

IGN was suggesting Baz Lurhmann should direct a Bioshock movie. I honestly think they like trolling people who visit the site.

People are so stupid with Twitter, it's baffling.

The only way I can explain it, is that they probably think twitter is like Facebook. And that only friends can see their posts.

That's a big reason why I'm not of big fan of Twitter, or social media in general. It gives practically anyone a voice and the assumption that people actually care about everything that they have to say.

"EA has a strong partnership and an active agreement with Nintendo to develop games for the WiiU.

haha which is why they are releasing some of their most high profile games like Madden 25 and FIFA 14 for the system, oh wait.

Haha, that's meaningless when NO games are in development from a studio that churns out a game every 2 seconds. It should be reworded 'weak partnership' and 'inactive agreement'. They talk about last year. Last year was launch before the console was in trouble.

I've seen someone make a good point. Wii probably did well, because it featured Motion sensor controls, something we didn't have at that point. Now they released the Wii U, and its gimmick is a controller tablet. The problem is, Tablets aren't new to anyone. Plus, the next gen consoles are just around the corner.

Last edited:
yeah but sony went and turned their Vita portable into a controller for their up coming system as well, as an add on controller next to the one the systems supposed to have that will be coming out soon too so ... it say's something again about that. Of sorts

There's nothing novel about a tablet but there is in how it will be used with a video game console. My friend and I played New Super Mario Bros U together and it was fun to create platforms for him with the tablet, both to get through to the level and to troll him at times. I would be playing my WiiU now except that I've lost my gaming area (basement had a leak and needs a renovation) and I don't have much time anymore with grad school and now internships.

I've seen someone make a good point. Wii probably did well, because it featured Motion sensor controls, something we didn't have at that point. Now they released the Wii U, and its gimmick is a controller tablet. The problem is, Tablets aren't new to anyone. Plus, the next gen controls are just around the corner.
I completely agree. That's why I got a Wii. Other than being a Nintendo fanboy and young, I liked the idea of motion gaming because it was so different. It was a novelty at most that didn't last for too long. Different was good, but the best Wii games were the ones that were tailored made for it. But games that were also available for PS3 and 360 were just about better in every way.

The Wii U improves on things like making games in HD and more third party support, but that only makes it equal to the current gen stuff in a time when there are new consoles coming out that are expected to raise the stakes even higher and push gamer even further.

There's nothing novel about a tablet but there is in how it will be used with a video game console. My friend and I played New Super Mario Bros U together and it was fun to create platforms for him with the tablet, both to get through to the level and to troll him at times. I would be playing my WiiU now except that I've lost my gaming area (basement had a leak and needs a renovation) and I don't have much time anymore with grad school and now internships.
when the Wii launched it was the only system with that type of motion control. Sony and MS didnt offer alternatives till 4 years later. Right out the gate, both will offer a tablet experience, Sony via the Vita and MS via Smartglass. What the Wii-U has going for it wont be exactly unique as people can get that elsewhere. Maybe not to the same degree but enough so that they arent missing out on a Wii-U for the experience

Also with the wii everyone knew about it & that it had this new motion control whereas many non-hardcore gamers (a big market for the wii) don't even know about the wii U, never mind that it has a tablet controller. I remember trying to get a wii for Xmas for a friend and it was impossible. This Xmas it will be hard to get a wii U because not everywhere will be stocking it when they have PS4 & next Xbox launches to deal with.

I think its also important to consider that other than consoles and handhelds in the traditional sense, there's also been a rise in mobile gaming as an alternative. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have most likely tried to find a way to incorporate those aspects in their gaming systems as a way to stay with what's current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"