The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

Finally time for another Comic week...and it is a "big" one.

Batman

James Tynions Final Issue...is bittersweet.
It has a lot of good things going on, the family, Ivy/Harley(wuhu, finally wuhu...hell yeah) etc and it works.
But it felt rushed.
The Last 3-4 issues felt like this was supposed to be a bit longer.
You have this noticeable speeding up which sadly in the end, makes Fear state a bit dissapointing.
Scarecrow finished in 1 issue pretty much after he was two steps ahead for most of the time.
Being beating this easily and then having only empty words that in the end make hit failure so much less impactfull.
I will definitly miss him, i liked his writing very much...but as long as Jimenez stays, im fine.
That mans art is so incredible.

Justice League

Its fine, but it loses me quite a lot.
Im not really invested in what is going on.
I read it and enjoy it, but then i forget about it.
Could be that im currently a bit tired of Bendis writing as a whole, i dont know.

Nightwing

Why do we love the Batfamily so much? Well this is a issue that shows why...god damn it.
This Nightwing run is so incredible, so great written...i just wanna hug them all.
I cant praise Nightwing enough, it is absolutely great.

Nubia & The Amazons

One i dont hear many people talk about for some reason.
I find it super neat...but then, focusing on the Amazons was always one of the things i wanted DC comics to do more.

Suicide Squad

Loses me also a bit, but the slowly approaching plot we get here and there some hints...keeps me interested...far more than the main stuff that goes on in the comic.

Supergirl

Ah, so good...for all the criticism i throw at Tom King when he does batman, he knows the assignment outside of it.
I dont remember when i was this invested in a Supergirl comic the last time.
Definitly a must read imo.

Wonder Woman Evolution

Oh, didnt saw that coming...but im intrigued...let me see where this goes.

And i kept the most important for last
Superman Son of Kal-El.

So that was the issue people were fighting over for a while now.
Well i have to say first and foremost that i was wrong a bit, gladly.
The last few issues did a good job in building a character in Jon that is more than just Supermans son.
He is still imo very bland but the last few issues did a good Job in working on some uniqueness for Jon...and that is definitly good.
And the issue in general is very good, i really liked where it was going and all.
The thing is, if they wouldnt have spoiled the kiss, i would have been really surprised by it because while you do get some slight teasers towards it, i dont think the issues so far showed much romantic sparks towards Jay and Jon.
Maybe i just expected more or have overlooked the hints etc.
Could all be, i cant say for sure.
It felt however far better than i feared and i thought it was really lovely in the end.
We will see where they go from there, but im in general positively surprised by the direction in the last few issues on this series.

Pretty good week that will leave me with a teary eye knowing James Tynion is done with Batman.
I really liked his run, but i wish him well.
Lets see what the new team offers, with the whole "Bruce leaves Gotham" they are in a tough spot.
Bruce to me is linked to Gotham and having him "abandon" the city, doesnt sit right with me.
I will give them a chance to build up something, but im hard to please.
(Early prediction, but i feel like they build batman in new york up so that once Bruce returns to gotham, jace can be batman there.)

Nightwing

Why do we love the Batfamily so much? Well this is a issue that shows why...god damn it.
This Nightwing run is so incredible, so great written...i just wanna hug them all.
I cant praise Nightwing enough, it is absolutely great.

I’m soooo in agreement. As an unashamed Batfamily apologist, this was just pure ecstasy. Everyone shined. Stephanie was entertaining, Cassandra was bada&@, Tim was the voice of reason, and Dick and Barbara led the charge. Taylor just writes the snot out of this book. It’s wonderful.

Supergirl

Ah, so good...for all the criticism i throw at Tom King when he does batman, he knows the assignment outside of it.

I’ve loved this series. It’s not quite as good as Up in the Sky but it is close. I love the showcasing of the differences between Superman and Supergirl. And the Kara’s statement to that point at the ending of this one really made me laugh. I love that Kara is presented as a bit rougher and a bit more worldly but just as altruistic and maybe even stronger than her cousin. I loved her congratulating the girl for using profanity correctly then saying “don’t tell my cousin I said that.” She’s a fun character and King is having a blast with this one. You can tell.

It’s an interesting video with points I agree and some I don’t. Thanks for posting
No problem. There are a lot of comments, but there are some interesting ones in there.

Anybody else reading Dan Jurgens’ Blue and Gold? It has been very fun, but the last issue or two have been a bit pedestrian. Hoping it ends a little stronger.

Supergirl

I’ve loved this series. It’s not quite as good as Up in the Sky but it is close. I love the showcasing of the differences between Superman and Supergirl. And the Kara’s statement to that point at the ending of this one really made me laugh. I love that Kara is presented as a bit rougher and a bit more worldly but just as altruistic and maybe even stronger than her cousin. I loved her congratulating the girl for using profanity correctly then saying “don’t tell my cousin I said that.” She’s a fun character and King is having a blast with this one. You can tell.
I tried to wait for the TPB on this one as I usually like to do, but after reading y'all singing it's praises in this thread, I couldn't resist. It's been far too long since I've read a decent Supergirl story and yeah, I'm loving this. Took me a minute to get used to the profanity because that's just not something that's usually included in this character's voice, but it makes sense and it works. Definitely putting that collected edition on pre-order.

Glad everyone's been digging Supergirl. It's consistently been one of the highlights of my month. However, as much good work as I think King is doing, i have a lingering feeling that either all of the wrong quirks of the story will carry over by lesser writers once this series is over, or it will be promptly ignored. Hopefully Philip Kennedy Johnson can work wonders with Kara later on in Action Comics.

Speaking of Mr. King, has anyone read Human Target #1 yet? Absolutely wonderful. It's astounding that King is able to get the artists he's gotten, but Greg Smallwood probably takes the cake. The book echos all the right parts of Darwyn Cooke, and mechanics-wise, leaves everything else by the Big Two in the dust. And even if this book turns into a dud, it will still have probably the best string of covers seen in major comic books in the last 20 years. King's going for a wittier, hard-boiled approach that feels very pulp but very fresh. Between this and Supergirl, it's been nice seeing him adopt a less-formal, more relaxed style of writing that still manages to feel true and authentic to the literary side we've seen from him, while leaning a little heavier into the exploration of the absurd that we'd see in his Batman. Good stuff.

I haven't read this month's Nightwing yet, but last issue kind of highlighted my issues with Tom Taylor as a writer. The same applies for Joshua Williamson a bit too, but the writing here felt like a very low-rent CW melodrama. It's just very hackneyed, saccharine, empty writing to the point of annoyance. It lacks any real stakes and drama. Perhaps it's because this issue is a Fear State crossover that Taylor just wanted it out of the way as quickly as possible, but it doesn't bode well. Disappointing, as Nightwing has been very good otherwise.

Superman has been pretty good. Jon coming out as bi- was handled about as well as I could expect. Reading back on previous issues, I can see a lot of the hints in the visual storytelling and how there are certain beats between Jon and Jay that imply attraction. But the story at hand is a little "eh". Harry Bendix is a bad guy because the story says he's a bad guy. Yet there are shades of Jon approaching these situations in ways that Clark wouldn't. I'd like to see Taylor really lean hard into the social issues he's been showcasing in the title, but in a way that means something big for Jon and the DCU as a whole.

Robin continues to be great. Damien and Connor Hawke is the team-up I need going forward, and I look forward to seeing if Ollie comes into play in this book or perhaps gets a new solo series dealing with his own son.

Robin & Batman was a lot of fun, though it does get a bit tiring seeing Bruce as the uptight drill sergeant training a 10 year old to be a soldier without anyone really taking him to task about it in a way that matters. The approach here is abuse, plain and simple, and I like to think Bruce should be aware of that. I think Dark Victory, and perhaps The Gauntlet, handled it the best: Bruce is a bit uptight and concerned with his safety, but Dick is still a child. But I look forward to the remaining issues.

Action Comics continues to kick ass. I have no idea how this ties into the Grant Morrison mini series, but aside from that weird embolism of continuity, the War World saga is shaping up to be the best Superman story we've had in a veeeeeery long time, and it's great seeing Mongul as a master strategist instead of just a lumbering cartoon character with a stupid flower. If you're not reading Action Comics, you're missing out. Every month, you can feel the weight of the stakes piling up.

Batman: The Imposter #1 was surprisingly good. It reminds of me Batman: Prey from Legends of the Dark Knight, but i hope the similarities of an imposter Batman end there. Not sure I'll check out issue 2 until issue 3 is out, but I enjoyed it. The art was fantastic, and for someone relatively new to the medium, Mattson Tomlin is pretty adept at writing comics.

The Flash continues to be one of the Top 5 best books DC is putting out on a monthly basis right now. It's so much fun, and it's everything The Flash needed to be since Final Crisis. Hopefully, DC is smart enough to leave this book alone.

The Flash continues to be one of the Top 5 best books DC is putting out on a monthly basis right now. It's so much fun, and it's everything The Flash needed to be since Final Crisis. Hopefully, DC is smart enough to leave this book alone.
I enjoyed this book as well. I’m glad to see that I wasn’t the only one. The execution wasn’t 100% but the whimsical nature of what they were trying to accomplish made up for any shortcomings.
I haven't read this month's Nightwing yet, but last issue kind of highlighted my issues with Tom Taylor as a writer. The same applies for Joshua Williamson a bit too, but the writing here felt like a very low-rent CW melodrama. It's just very hackneyed, saccharine, empty writing to the point of annoyance. It lacks any real stakes and drama. Perhaps it's because this issue is a Fear State crossover that Taylor just wanted it out of the way as quickly as possible, but it doesn't bode well. Disappointing, as Nightwing has been very good otherwise.

I love Nightwing and I’m good with the silly “shipping” that has been going on in the book. In fact, I’m completely approve and am genuinely interested in where it all goes.

@Babillygunn, @Mani-Man, @CrimsonMist

Who are you guys favourite writers and artists?

Thats a really tough question, especially going by more recently.

In terms of artists currently is Jorge Jimenez my favorite.
Robbie Rodriguez, Gleb Melnikov, Dan Mora, Greg Capullo, Sean Murphy, Lee Bermejo are some of my more recent Favorites I have.

As for writers…
James Tynion, Mariko Tamaki, Tom Taylor, Joshua Williamson, Jeremy Adams…and ironicly when he isn’t writing Batman…Tom King.
But im not someone who prefers this or that Artist or Writer, it comes down to the story and their run in general.

Comics week, the last of November...technically since i will get the next comics first or second december.XD

Aquaman/Green Arrow

Its kind of a weird story…but I like it.
The Art is nice and Oliver and Arthur have a good chemistry, the writing on that is neat.

Batman Reptilian

Yeah its first and foremost a visual thing, because the writing lost a lot after 2-3 issues.
So you are left with a incredible well drawn comic…I don’t know if that’s worth it however.

DC vs Vampires

It’s a comic I will drop.
This soon after we already had something similar with Zombies, the writing in 2 issues wasn’t strong enough to keep my interest.
Don’t get me wrong, The Batfamily being vampire hunters is a cool idea…but here its not something that works imo.
I think you would need a different timeline for that, something more Gotham by gaslight or so.
I don’t know, it just doesn’t capture my interest.

Detective Comics

Was weird.
Because it felt like the arc was already done, but then it wasn’t and we get this extended storyline added to it.
Which really didn’t do a lot imo.
It was there to build some sort of trust between batman and nakano, but I don’t know…the story felt weirdly placed.

Harley Quinn

Still love it, the art is charming and the writing is a lot of fun.

Robin

What do you say to this Series that hasn’t been said since 7 issues?
Absolutely fantastic written and drawn.
A job to read and im always getting excited when I know it’s a week where a new issue comes.

Task Force Z

Same with DC vs Vampires, it just doesn’t capture me.
Im just not feeling it, outside of its gimmick…nothing really hits a homerun here.

The Flash

God damn that Issue…this issue made me feel like a kid.
I don’t have the experience many of you have since comics were never that huge here in Germany.
But I think that’s how it must feel for kids who got their hands on comics.
I regret having to read this online because I can only imagine the fun someone has picking this comic up in a shop, sitting down at home and twisting and turning the comic and stuff.
I know the feeling from the one issue of the Court of owls story, and its such a joy to not just blindly read the comic, but to interact.
I was leaning backwards when doctor fate suddenly talked to me, I was twisting and turning my head, blew onto the screen like child, I felt like a child and was grinning from ear to ear the whole time.
The Art and how it played a part in this feeling…so great.
This is definitely a issue I want to get my hand on to experience the fun how it is meant to.
Its just not the same digital but if I even had fun like this, I can only imagine how fun it is when I have the issue in my hands.
The issue hit me so unprepared in the best way possible…I don’t have enough words to praise The Flash issue 776.

I would say its not the strongest week considering Vampires and Zombies didn’t excite me and detective comics feels weird…but Robin and especially The Flash made me so happy.
Im really really glad I found time to catch up to flash because those last few issues really brought me back to how it was when I got my hands on comics as a kid.

Wow. This is a hard question. If we are talking current, my favorite writers would be Peter Tomasi, Greg Rucka, Tom King, Tom Taylor, and Mark Waid.

All time writers would be the same as above, but I’d also throw in Denny O’Neil, Steve Englehart, Marc Wolfman, Geoff John’s, and Alan Moore (for anything Superman or Swamp Thing). I love some Jeph Loeb stories, but as a whole, I’m not sure that I would include him on this list.

If I could only choose one writer, it would probably be Mark Waid. He’s just consistently consistent. I know that I’m getting high quality-to-great storytelling in anything he writes. And often he produces classics. He just knows the characters inside and out and knows how to put them in situations to showcase their core characteristics.

As to artists, my favorites right now would be Dustin Nguyen, Jorge Jimenez, Mitch Gerards, Stjepan Sejic, Greg Capullo, Clay Mann, and Greg Capullo (mostly because I met him and he’s a wonderful guy. But his art is solid as well.)

All time artists would also include Alex Ross (of course), Neil Adams, Jim Apparo, George Perez, and Norm Breyfogle.

My all time favorite is a toss up between Alex Ross and Dustin Nguyen. Both redefine the profession and make any book they are on an instant classic. I honestly think Nguyen may be overtaking Ross as my favorite right now. His watercolors are so darn special.

Robin

What do you say to this Series that hasn’t been said since 7 issues?
Absolutely fantastic written and drawn.
A job to read and im always getting excited when I know it’s a week where a new issue comes.
I LOVE this book! The showdown between Connor and Damien was instant classic. Midway through, I honestly was thinking that I had no idea who was going to prevail. And I was transfixed. This book balances classic and new characters, and action and heart. This is the best that Damien has been written in a long time. I have said it for a few months now: Robin, Nightwing, and Flash are the 3 best comics in Infinite Frontier. And it ain’t even close.

Which brings me to:
The Flash

God damn that Issue…this issue made me feel like a kid.
I don’t have the experience many of you have since comics were never that huge here in Germany.
But I think that’s how it must feel for kids who got their hands on comics.
I regret having to read this online because I can only imagine the fun someone has picking this comic up in a shop, sitting down at home and twisting and turning the comic and stuff.
I know the feeling from the one issue of the Court of owls story, and its such a joy to not just blindly read the comic, but to interact.
I was leaning backwards when doctor fate suddenly talked to me, I was twisting and turning my head, blew onto the screen like child, I felt like a child and was grinning from ear to ear the whole time.
The Art and how it played a part in this feeling…so great.
This is definitely a issue I want to get my hand on to experience the fun how it is meant to.
Its just not the same digital but if I even had fun like this, I can only imagine how fun it is when I have the issue in my hands.
The issue hit me so unprepared in the best way possible…I don’t have enough words to praise The Flash issue 776.

I’m genuinely so glad that people loved this issue. To your point, my introduction to comics came when I was in 1st grade. Every morning the principal of my school would draw a student’s name and that student could come to the office to pick something out of the toy closet. When my name was called, I saw a Superman comic and I don’t know why, but I chose that. I read through that comic till the pages fell apart. That Christmas, my mom ordered me 20 Marvel comics through the Sears catalog. I read those over and over as well.
This issue took me to those days as a kid. Like you I was blowing on my iPad when instructed to do so by Dr. Fate. I was a 45 year old man blowing on an iPad and I am not ashamed to admit it.
This was just plain fun.

Wow. This is a hard question. If we are talking current, my favorite writers would be Peter Tomasi, Greg Rucka, Tom King, Tom Taylor, and Mark Waid.

All time writers would be the same as above, but I’d also throw in Denny O’Neil, Steve Englehart, Marc Wolfman, Geoff John’s, and Alan Moore (for anything Superman or Swamp Thing). I love some Jeph Loeb stories, but as a whole, I’m not sure that I would include him on this list.

If I could only choose one writer, it would probably be Mark Waid. He’s just consistently consistent. I know that I’m getting high quality-to-great storytelling in anything he writes. And often he produces classics. He just knows the characters inside and out and knows how to put them in situations to showcase their core characteristics.

As to artists, my favorites right now would be Dustin Nguyen, Jorge Jimenez, Mitch Gerards, Stjepan Sejic, Greg Capullo, Clay Mann, and Greg Capullo (mostly because I met him and he’s a wonderful guy. But his art is solid as well.)

All time artists would also include Alex Ross (of course), Neil Adams, Jim Apparo, George Perez, and Norm Breyfogle.

My all time favorite is a toss up between Alex Ross and Dustin Nguyen. Both redefine the profession and make any book they are on an instant classic. I honestly think Nguyen may be overtaking Ross as my favorite right now. His watercolors are so darn special.

Ah, thats why i cant do lists etc because i know i will miss many names, even if i focus on something like the people working on the current series.
There is so much talent, i never will be able to name everyone.

I LOVE this book! The showdown between Connor and Damien was instant classic. Midway through, I honestly was thinking that I had no idea who was going to prevail. And I was transfixed. This book balances classic and new characters, and action and heart. This is the best that Damien has been written in a long time. I have said it for a few months now: Robin, Nightwing, and Flash are the 3 best comics in Infinite Frontier. And it ain’t even close.

Absolutely, the Series so far hasnt missed a step and you keep hanging on every page wanting to know how things turn out.
It also did the best possible thing with the mess King made with Damian watching Alfred die, which i didnt thought possible.
At least someone cared to give this any weight.

I’m genuinely so glad that people loved this issue. To your point, my introduction to comics came when I was in 1st grade. Every morning the principal of my school would draw a student’s name and that student could come to the office to pick something out of the toy closet. When my name was called, I saw a Superman comic and I don’t know why, but I chose that. I read through that comic till the pages fell apart. That Christmas, my mom ordered me 20 Marvel comics through the Sears catalog. I read those over and over as well.
This issue took me to those days as a kid. Like you I was blowing on my iPad when instructed to do so by Dr. Fate. I was a 45 year old man blowing on an iPad and I am not ashamed to admit it.
This was just plain fun.

Ah, i always love the stories of how people got into comics.
Im glad i wasnt the only one who was blowing at the screen and was so invested in it...it was such a unexpected and fun issue.
It came so unexpected and in a way where you just cant help but go along with.

Wonder Woman: Historia came out today and they did not play around! It is THAT BOOK and quickly has become the #1 telling of the Amazons origin story in the DC universe.

FE_ogbTXMAMPJH-

I just read the Danny Devito story in the Gotham Villains special. I’m still not sure what I think. I kept thinking that it was going to be revealed to be a dream sequence. I deeply appreciated the message. But to say this was based on strange decisions would be an understatement.

Still, I love Devito so I’m glad we got him writing for the anthology. That was cool.

This week in DC comics was mainly about Annuals and therefore im getting away a bit cheaper since im not that into the Annuals, but there were some things worth talking about.

Batman The Detective

I expected more from the Final of this to be honest.
But i assume thats on me, thinking with the setting and all, this would be more than it is.
Its your typical Final Act of the bad guy thinking they have won, just for Batman to reveal he was one step ahead.
The set up for the Villain had potential, but the story doesnt really care much for it, it just uses it as motivation without offering a deeper solution or attempt for solution.
Its a neat story still, but not a must read imo.
Visuals are its strongest point, even when it mainly runs on the idea of "batman in a trenchcoat".

Gotham City Villains Anniversary

They lured me into this with Danny DeVito because outside of this, it doesnt offer too much.
Okay the Ivy part and the Talia part were neat, but other than that it wasnt really anything super neat.
I have to say that DeVitos writing is really surprisingly good.
It has a nice flow and wording.
As for the story itself...it was weird.
I mean the idea of course is in my head ever since Batman Returns, but i never really could be full on board with a Catwoman/Penguin romance.
For me its always more that they "flirt" with each other to taunt each other, get the other to get angry or so...kind of a sibling relationship if you will.
So here going with a full Romance feels to me completely out of place.
Especially since they design wise gone with the more current versions of the characters.
I could have understood it when going with something more burton like in terms of character design etc.
Anyway, outside of that the story itself was nice.

Nightwing Annual

I did read that one because it promised Nightwing/Red Hood stuff...and it delivered.
Really liked it...but im a sucker for Batfamily stuff, so you can sell me this easy.

Wonder Woman Historia

Holy hell, what a book...especially Visual.
Such a stunning book, every page is so incredible well done, so incredible strong.
I assume the book will piss off a certain group of "FaNs", but i really liked it and the story.
The Writing is very powerful and paced quite well.
This definitly needs to be read a few times to get all the details because in first reading the Visuals overwhelm you.

I will need to wait a bit and see if other Annuals are worth it, what others say about them.
Overall however, a good week.

This week in DC comics was mainly about Annuals and therefore im getting away a bit cheaper since im not that into the Annuals, but there were some things worth talking about.

Batman The Detective

I expected more from the Final of this to be honest.
But i assume thats on me, thinking with the setting and all, this would be more than it is.
Its your typical Final Act of the bad guy thinking they have won, just for Batman to reveal he was one step ahead.
The set up for the Villain had potential, but the story doesnt really care much for it, it just uses it as motivation without offering a deeper solution or attempt for solution.
Its a neat story still, but not a must read imo.
Visuals are its strongest point, even when it mainly runs on the idea of "batman in a trenchcoat".

Gotham City Villains Anniversary

They lured me into this with Danny DeVito because outside of this, it doesnt offer too much.
Okay the Ivy part and the Talia part were neat, but other than that it wasnt really anything super neat.
I have to say that DeVitos writing is really surprisingly good.
It has a nice flow and wording.
As for the story itself...it was weird.
I mean the idea of course is in my head ever since Batman Returns, but i never really could be full on board with a Catwoman/Penguin romance.
For me its always more that they "flirt" with each other to taunt each other, get the other to get angry or so...kind of a sibling relationship if you will.
So here going with a full Romance feels to me completely out of place.
Especially since they design wise gone with the more current versions of the characters.
I could have understood it when going with something more burton like in terms of character design etc.
Anyway, outside of that the story itself was nice.

Nightwing Annual

I did read that one because it promised Nightwing/Red Hood stuff...and it delivered.
Really liked it...but im a sucker for Batfamily stuff, so you can sell me this easy.

Wonder Woman Historia

Holy hell, what a book...especially Visual.
Such a stunning book, every page is so incredible well done, so incredible strong.
I assume the book will piss off a certain group of "FaNs", but i really liked it and the story.
The Writing is very powerful and paced quite well.
This definitly needs to be read a few times to get all the details because in first reading the Visuals overwhelm you.

I will need to wait a bit and see if other Annuals are worth it, what others say about them.
Overall however, a good week.
I am a sucker for Annuals. I love them. So I’ve been thrilled with this week. Nightwing Annual was great. I also loved the Detective Comics Annual (even if I didn’t love the art.)

Batman Annual was not to my liking. I didn’t love having it be Ghostmaker centric. I like the design of the character and he had some decent moments during Joker War…but I don’t like him as Batman’s partner. That role should be reserved for the family. Tynion did such wonders with the Bat family during his Detective run, I’ve been very disappointed with him neglecting them in his Batman run. It feels like Scott Snyder 2.0 with Ghostmaker and Clownhunter being the new Duke and Harper. And to me, Ghostmaker is essentially a Jean Paul Valley ripoff anyway.

Robin Annual had its moments. The origin of Flatline was cool and it was good to get some exposition as to how Connor ended up where he is in this story. But as a whole, it wasn’t as strong as the ongoing story.

I still have a lot more to read from this week. I’m like a kid in a candy store right now.

Justice League Incarnate #1 was sooooo much fun. Joshua Williamson is so naughty to have thrown so much shade at Marvel.

Will Eisner, above all else.

Generally speaking, Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Ed Brubaker, Harvey Kurtzman, Kurt Busiek are some of my favorite writers.

Timothy Truman, Howard Chaykin, Michael T. Gilbert, Darwyn Cooke, Mike Mignola, Matt Wagner, and Eric Powell are some my favorite writer/artist, and when these guys write for other people, they usually deliver greatness as well (see: Truman's Conan for example)

Kirby, John Severin, Michael Lark, Guy Davis, Bisette & Totleben, Tim Sale, Gene Colan, Virgil Finlay, Steve Dillon, Sean Phillips are some of my favorite artists.

Currently, I'm all about Tom King and his collaborators: Mitch Gerads, Doc Shaner and Greg Smallwood. Philip Kennedy Johnson is shaping up to be a great writer as well, and his Action Comics artists like Daniel Sampere and Miguel Mendonca are wonderful. Gleb Melnikov, currently drawing Robin, reminds me of early Frank Miller.

Comics week…which made me sad many times.
The News of George Perez having Stage 4 cancer and only so little time left on earth, had me in tears a few times while going through the comics this week.
Such a great man, a legend in the business giving us so much…I got really emotional thinking about him and what other Writers, Artists etc give us each week.
They pour some of themself into those pages we cherish and enjoy…yeah I got really emotional this week with everything about comics.

Batman

The New arc threw me off to be honest.
Because I assumed that the whole “bruce leaves gotham” would have been because he felt out of place or so, because he felt disconnected to the city.
But nope, its because of some Batman inc situation.
Which surprised me because I though Batman Inc was history, didn’t knew it still exists.

I like the design of Abyss and the story despite not what I expected to be at all, has my interest.
A Very handsome Lex Luthor threw me off too…didn’t expect him or the way he was drawn.
But I don’t want to complain on either. XD

The Art in general was really good, there were a lot of panels were my first reaction was “wow” because of how vibrant and full of life and character they were.

I did scream out loud when Batman showed up with the Yellow Oval, that was a cool moment.
But i have to say that I prefer it with a Armored looking suit more.
It feels a bit disjointed from the rest of the suit, especially since I cant help but feel like its like a lamp. XD
Anyway, neat issue and I am interested in where this goes.

Batman 89

I slowly get used to the art, its way too comical for what it preferred on this…but I get used to it.
Mainly because the Character design all over the place is pretty neat.
The story cant really capture me yet fully, its fine but nothing really fantastic.

Justice League Infinity

*Sigh* Every issue I want this to be animated, I want the animated show to return.
Its mainly a Nostalgia read, it brings me back to the time I was a child and watched the cartoon.
Nothing wrong with that, Its why they do it in the first place right? Nostalgia.

Suicide Squad

Still a cool read, mainly because I want to know what Wallers plan is.
Like I said before, they do a good job in making me interest in wanting to know what everbodys agenda is, what they plan etc.

Superman Son of Kal-El

That one had me interested because of the meeting of Lex and Jon…and I thought it didn’t disappoint.
The Annual did a good job in further giving Jon character edges and forming a personality.

Swamp Thing

As usual with this, I have fun reading it.
Nothing much to say outside of that.
I enjoy it but have nothing to point out really.

Might seem like a standard Comic week, but again…because of the George Perez news, the comics hit different when reading them first.

I’m loving Williamson’s start on Batman. I love that he is interjecting a little humor into the title. Case in point: the part with the 2 burglars was wonderful and the little girl dressed as Punchline was hilarious.

Will Eisner, above all else.

Generally speaking, Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Ed Brubaker, Harvey Kurtzman, Kurt Busiek are some of my favorite writers.

Timothy Truman, Howard Chaykin, Michael T. Gilbert, Darwyn Cooke, Mike Mignola, Matt Wagner, and Eric Powell are some my favorite writer/artist, and when these guys write for other people, they usually deliver greatness as well (see: Truman's Conan for example)

Kirby, John Severin, Michael Lark, Guy Davis, Bisette & Totleben, Tim Sale, Gene Colan, Virgil Finlay, Steve Dillon, Sean Phillips are some of my favorite artists.

Currently, I'm all about Tom King and his collaborators: Mitch Gerads, Doc Shaner and Greg Smallwood. Philip Kennedy Johnson is shaping up to be a great writer as well, and his Action Comics artists like Daniel Sampere and Miguel Mendonca are wonderful. Gleb Melnikov, currently drawing Robin, reminds me of early Frank Miller.
How did I leave Kirby off of my list????
upload_2021-12-10_13-24-48.gif

He is definitely high as writer and artist. Maybe #1 writer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"