The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

Anyone picked up the Urban Legends #1 ? I'm curious about it but it's quite expensive.

This reminds me that Didio refused to allow Kate Kane get married in the comic-verse. Talk about missing a big opportunity. And now she's practically MIA except for specials or guest starring roles.

By the way, I picked up the SW Dark Empire Epic the other day. I've only read the middle part of that trilogy as a kid so I am really eager to read the whole thing.

::swings through thread::

Rorschach #6 came out this week and it is diviiiine.

Ah i keep forgetting Rorschach, still havent even picked up issue 1.
Heard so much good about this, i really need to stop forgetting and getting it.

Anyone picked up the Urban Legends #1 ? I'm curious about it but it's quite expensive.

Not yet, i was surprised to hear the price and how much is in there...the details flew under my radar with this.

This reminds me that Didio refused to allow Kate Kane get married in the comic-verse. Talk about missing a big opportunity. And now she's practically MIA except for specials or guest starring roles.

Oh yeah...sad that they keep Kate on the sideline.
Thats what i say, as much as i like characters like Punchline or ghostmaker, and i get that every writer wants to add their own character to the canon and all...but you take away the place that othes already existing characters could have.
Kate for example.

Anway...onto week 2 of "infinite Frontier" is that the official name of this new "restart"?

Superman i probably drop soon sadly.
I get more and more annoyed at Jon, which is not his fault.
I want Kid Jon back for gods sake...and the longer it goes, the less i like anything with him.
We will see, maybe i give it this arc or so...but it bugs me incredible.
Also the rest isnt really interesting either.

The Joker...has visual a few cool things, but im not feeling it.
I dont really know what it is, but im not feeling the first issue and im not really excited for another.
Cant put my finger on it, thats why i will give it a few issues to find out what exactly i dont like.

Wonder Woman was pretty cool.
But to be fair, you get a lot of leash from me when you add Vikings to it...so yeah.
I guess i should read infinite frontier #0 to find out what exactly happened to Diana.

My problem with Jon is he is growing at the expanse of Conner. Right now Conner, Cassie, Tim, & Bart should be getting their own titles or be the ones getting ready to take over. If there was ever to be a Superman/Wonder Woman book again it should've been Conner & Cassie. Tim should be doing his own thing and shedding the Robin name like Dick & Jason and Bart should be at least Kid Flash again. It just doesn't sit right with me what they've done to them and regressed them back to 90's especially now that they have all their memories back.

Not yet, i was surprised to hear the price and how much is in there...the details flew under my radar with this.
Yeah, apparently not all of it is very good. I'm mostly interested in the Jason story.

I'm reading Ostrander's Star Wars Legends right now and it's pretty forking great. It's not a story you could do today after the new trilogy given the re-emergence of the Empire, using another "Skywalker" and using similar archetypes. In the context of 2006 when Lucasfilm was a lot more creative and a hundred years after Yuuzhan Vong, if you bring back the Empire and the Sith making a comeback, while I wouldn't have made these choices personally, unlike the new trilogy where things were EXACTLY the same, this is very creative and interesting things are being done with it like where it takes some SW tropes and spins them on their heads to spin something else. A Skywalker that doesn't want to be a Skywalker, a princess who is an Imperial and is training in the force, a Sith Lord who is the new emperor but is not yet almighty, an Empire that is benign, and that's the tip of the iceberg. The deeper you go, the more interesting it gets. Not to mention great characters along the way. Interesting to see Darth Talon before she was considered to be the villain in Lucas' Ep. 7.

I was never much into SW EU pre-Disney with some exceptions, but I always wanted to read this one. Mainly because I was interested in a new story so far into the future.

Last edited:
Star Wars legends stuff is something i really need to look into what i have, what i need, what is good etc...have completely ignored my collection on this, i dont even know where i have my box of Star Wars comics...probably somewhere with my parents. XD

But i dont have the time yet for it anyway, because i decided to start a Conan Collection...which seems like it will take me a lot of time.
There are so many stories, i dont even know where to start.
And thats not all, because i want to go all in with Statues and Figures too...it will be expensive and time consuming, but im super excited too.
Its always neat starting something new.

Anway...to not get too off topic, im really excited Comic wise for Nightwing this week and carefully optimistic about Justice League too...especially the cover of JL makes me curious.

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to what’s in store for Nightwing now.

I will always find Ross's best work to be Justice because he was working over better pencils by Braithwaite. It brought a much needed life to Ross's paintings.

I will always find Ross's best work to be Justice because he was working over better pencils by Braithwaite. It brought a much needed life to Ross's paintings.
Good to hear. I have the Deluxe Edition but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

S'funny, I'm the opposite. I find his work looks too cramped and crowded in Justice, and I've always put it down to the fact that he was working over someone else's pencils, rather than how he himself might have laid it out.

I think Justice may be my favorite Justice League story. It feels classic, without being nostalgic. And all of the narrative beats just keep elevating the the story. The moment between Black Canary and Green Arrow fending off Clayface is very funny, but so sincere and true to those characters.
--
At the moment, I'm pretty impressed by the Infinite Frontier launches released thus far.

Philip Kennedy Johnson's Superman feels better and more coherent than Bendis' but I certainly hope Johnson spends more time developing Clark's relationship with the now older Jon. Wasn't my favorite of the books so far, but nothing about it aside from the cost, is off putting.

Wonder Woman was great. I truly hope that this marks the return of some much needed stability to the title. It was a lot of fun and felt like a refreshing change of pace. Seeing Diana one step removed from the typical fantasy tinged superheroics of the previous issues was good thanks to the art. I hope Travis Moore is on art duties for the long haul. I think Wondet Woman needs a more atypical artist on the book right now and Moore keeps the fantasy, and the story, grounded.

Nightwing was also great. Felt like Waid's Daredevil. We get away from the grim and gritty murkiness that the book has languished in for a few years and we're finally back to the swashbuckling superheroics that made Nightwing such an endearing character in the first place. As much as I miss Alfred, this issue shows why I think he should just stay gone for much longer. And it's nice having Barbara in the book. I always liked their interactions. And the art is fantastic. As with Wonder Woman, i hope this leads to some much needed stability and doesn't serve as a placeholder for events happening in Tynion's Batman. I'm in for the long haul.

Bendis' Justice League was alright. I've seen others complaining about the villain's dialogue but I thought it was funny albeit with an overriding wish that Bendis wouls take this stuff just a little bit more seriously. But Ram V's back-up left the main story in the dust. It's a shame JL Dark doesn't have its own book anymore. Now that Ram V is free from Tynion's narrative hooks, I'm excited to see where he can take the team...I just don't wanna buy the whole book for it.
--

Would anyone be interested if I made a collector's thread? It would kinda rub shoulders with this thread and the "Latest Reads" thread, but I thought it might be cool to have a thread to share the scores we find bin diving, or books we're on the hunt for and such as opposed to discussing the current weekly pulls. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Nightwing was great, I wish that was the Nightwing we got in Titans instead of moody and depressed.

Justice League.....was boring. The main story just wasnt interesting at all. Especially with the state of the DC Universe they want us to forget that GA/BC havent been the closest with the League since New52 reboot so doing the whole "we family" thing as if they've hung out with all these people didnt gel right to me. Sorry DC, your trying to have your cake and eat it to but...nah.

Would anyone be interested if I made a collector's thread? It would kinda rub shoulders with this thread and the "Latest Reads" thread, but I thought it might be cool to have a thread to share the scores we find bin diving, or books we're on the hunt for and such as opposed to discussing the current weekly pulls. Any thoughts?

I would be game!

Nightwing was great, I wish that was the Nightwing we got in Titans instead of moody and depressed.
upload_2021-3-18_11-40-50.gif

Oh my. :wow:

Superman And The Authority By Grant Morrison and Mikel Janin For DC

I'm not into the Authority, but I'm always here for more Morrison Supes. Also can't help but think this is gonna have something interesting to say since it's no coincidence that The Authority also happened to be the inspiration for the Elite.

Oh my indeed! I had to do a double take when I read this piece of news, Morrison on Superman is an instant buy and this will hopefully wash off the stench that Bendis left on Superman.
Also I might be alone on this but Manchester Black is one of my favorite Superman antagonists/villains and can't wait to see what Morrison does with him.

Agreed as well. Plus Mikel Janin is a great artist. To me, he’s a cross between Greg Capullo and Mitch Gerads

I really enjoyed the new Detective Comics. It seems to be a good start to a mystery/ Detective story. I wasn’t thrilled with what Tynion and Tomasi were doing with Bruce in more meager surroundings. But Tamaki seems to be taking it in a more intimate and interesting place. I like the writing style a lot.

(And yes, I am shocked that I just said something about Tomasi that wasn’t glowing praise. I just don’t feel like he was writing the stories that he wanted to with Detective)

Huh.

DC Comics Replaces All Of Grant Morrison Superman Omnibus For Free

I bought this omnibus (I noticed the page missing dialogue and just thought it was kinda cool tbh - I've never owned a misprint before, lol), and just got a notice from my seller that we can just send in a pic of the stripped cover and our order number to get a refund.

Also cool that they're adding Sholly Fisch's name to the front cover of the new version. It should've been there from the start, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"