The God of Music - The Thor: Ragnarok OST Thread

It's such a moment with Doyle's theme plays. I've missed it.

When I heard Doyle's Thor theme I almost lost it, an actual returning Marvel character theme. The rest of the scores pretty good as well, and the synth work is actually very enjoyable as a listen on its own, even if there are sections that are obvious filler. Definitely one of the more solid Marvel scores.

It's such a moment with Doyle's theme plays. I've missed it.

It really is! I'm just listening for the first time now, and what a moment, it honestly made me a little misty eyed. :woot:

This score is absolutely fantastic so far, god bless Mothersbaugh! The guy should be scoring way more big movies after this.

I have been ingesting this all day. It's really quite unlike anything else Marvel has done. Parade may be my new favorite thing.

For the record, I am completely in love with Winter Soldier and his theme.

But this is something else.

Which track does Doyle's theme appear? I'm afraid I don't recognize it....

Now that I've listened to the whole thing I can safely say that this is the best MCU score ever, without a doubt. I absolutely love the contrast of the more traditional grand sweeping, orchestral, choral elements that represent Asgard (and the sinister undertones that clearly represent Hela) with the more zany, 80's synth, retro elements that represent Sakaar. The combination of the two is memorable and spectacular.

Mothersbaugh has really knocked this score out of the park, huge kudos to him. I really hope he scores more MCU movies in the future.

They brought back Doyle's Thor theme?

1536.gif

Found this link that somehow has included a 30 seconds sample of all the tracks from Spotify, but you can apparently actually listen to it whitout having the app at all.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0LV7na6J5OD045vQmqIdJW

Check it out and tell me if it works.

Last edited:
Found this link that somehow has included a 30 seconds sample of all the tracks from Spotify, but you can apparently actually listen to it whitout having the app at all.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0LV7na6J5OD045vQmqIdJW

Check it out and tell me if it works.

This is the whole album, not just 30 second samples of each track. It definitely works, this is what I've been listening to since yesterday and you don't need the app, you just need a Spotify account.

This is the whole album, not just 30 second samples of each track. It definitely works, this is what I've been listening to since yesterday and you don't need the app, you just need a Spotify account.
What i am saying is that for those who don't have Spotify they can use this to listen to at least 30 seconds of the tracks. I have spotify and i can listen to the hole thing so this is not for me but for those who are curious about the soundtrack...

What i am saying is that for those who don't have Spotify they can use this to listen to at least 30 seconds of the tracks. I have spotify and i can listen to the hole thing so this is not for me but for those who are curious about the soundtrack...

Ah, gotcha HD. I urge everyone to sign up for a (free!) Spotify account and listen to the whole soundtrack because it's freaking amazing. :drl:

Grandmaster Jam Session:

giphy.gif

This album cover. :drl:

tumblr_oy86yenqt81we9e0po1_1280.jpg

After giving this a few listens, I have to say it's pretty disappointing. It's a shame that Motherbaugh based his thematic identity on Tyler's TDW. It helps that for the most part the theme is played as a guitar solo, which disguises just how simple it is. Once the synth starts playing a major part the score at least becomes interesting to listen to, but without a thematic narrative it rarely manages to be anything other than background noise.

Bringing back Doyle's theme, it seems, is little more than an easter egg, as it has no impact on the score as a whole.

Overall I'm not too surprised by how it turned out. Mothersbaugh is a pastiche composer, with almost every score he's worked on merely parodying existing music and styles. Probably one of the MCU's weakest scores, along with Civil War and Tyler Bates dreadful work on GOTG.

After giving this a few listens, I have to say it's pretty disappointing. It's a shame that Motherbaugh based his thematic identity on Tyler's TDW. It helps that for the most part the theme is played as a guitar solo, which disguises just how simple it is. Once the synth starts playing a major part the score at least becomes interesting to listen to, but without a thematic narrative it rarely manages to be anything other than background noise.

Bringing back Doyle's theme, it seems, is little more than an easter egg, as it has no impact on the score as a whole.

Overall I'm not too surprised by how it turned out. Mothersbaugh is a pastiche composer, with almost every score he's worked on merely parodying existing music and styles. Probably one of the MCU's weakest scores, along with Civil War and Tyler Bates dreadful work on GOTG.

Wow, I could not disagree with this post any harder. My opinion is literally the polar opposite to yours. :funny: I really love Tyler Bates' scores to both GotG and GotG 2 (the piece of music that plays when Yondu saves Quill at the end of GotG 2 is one of my favourite pieces of music in the entire MCU), and the Ragnarok score is the best and the most unique that has ever been produced in the MCU if you ask me.

Out of interest, what scores do you deem as being good? We clearly have very different taste so it's fascinating to me.

Thor 1, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man. Elfman's Avengers theme (as well as Silvestri's, which it's based on) was also great.

I'm curious, outside of the MCU, are you a film score enthusiast? What style of scores interest you, is it just action films? Do you listen to many scores outside of the movie?

Happy that Doyle's theme is included, though I wish it was more than once. It's the only MCU score I listen to.

Just cuz it was brought up, I'll mention my fav scores are LOTR, braveheart, and gladiator

Thor 1, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man. Elfman's Avengers theme (as well as Silvestri's, which it's based on) was also great.

I'm curious, outside of the MCU, are you a film score enthusiast? What style of scores interest you, is it just action films? Do you listen to many scores outside of the movie?

Hmm, I like some of these (Thor, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, and the Avengers themes) but I find the rest almost painfully generic tbh. I think the scores for Ragnarok and both GotG movies have much more personality and are more memorable.

I love listening to film scores, it's one of my passions. A good score can make me feel much more emotionally connected to a film. I've listed some of my absolute favourite scores below.

Happy that Doyle's theme is included, though I wish it was more than once. It's the only MCU score I listen to.

Just cuz it was brought up, I'll mention my fav scores are LOTR, braveheart, and gladiator

Absolutely awesome choices, I agree to all. The single greatest score of all time is Howard Shore's score for the LotR trilogy, I very much doubt anything will ever even come close to the sheer perfection of that score for me. It's an utterly breathtaking piece of work, in sheer scope and consistency. Other all time favourite's include John William's score for the Indiana Jones films, Danny Elfman's score for Edward Scissorhands, Klaus Doldinger's original score for The Neverending Story (not the American one, the original German one), Alexandre Desplat's score for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and as mentioned above James Horner's score for Braveheart and Zimmer's score for Gladiator.

A very recent favourite is Benjamin Wallfisch's wonderful score for IT.

This has to be one of my favorite Marvel soundtracks. Heck, it actually might be at the top of my list. I didn't dislike any of the tracks and actually replayed a few of them during my first listen so that I could enjoy certain parts again. Also, I nearly lost it when Doyle's theme began to play in "Where to?". Instantly recognized it and felt all nostalgic. I was pretty upset when I found out that Doyle wasn't scoring the second Thor film. So, it was nice to hear that theme again, even if it was just for a little bit.

As someone who prefers Tyler's work over Doyle's, even I have to admit what a fist-pump inducing moment "Where To?" is.

I am almost crying tears of joy. This is by far the best score Marvel has ever produced. I had my doubts about Mark, but WOW did he prove me wrong!

I'm even more pumped for the film now!

Where did you get the impression that Mothersbaugh based his work on The Dark World. There's no Zimmer power anthem to be found in the score anyway, even his own theme doesn't seem to be in that general direction.

Hi there! Just joined--I've been lurking for a long time but as the release date gets closer I'm finding I need to be around more people who share the hype. Can anyone tell me which track on the soundtrack is playing in this TV spot? I'm broke right now so I can't buy the full album, but I'd like to buy this track... Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUmMTolb8jg

Hi there! Just joined--I've been lurking for a long time but as the release date gets closer I'm finding I need to be around more people who share the hype. Can anyone tell me which track on the soundtrack is playing in this TV spot? I'm broke right now so I can't buy the full album, but I'd like to buy this track... Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUmMTolb8jg

Welcome! :yay: If you sign up for a free spotify account you can listen the whole album for nothing just here. If you have adblock enabled, there's no ads either. :gngl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"