Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst it could be looked in that way the ending to me screams more like someone who's equally done with being a superhero. The fact that super powered being exist and he's aware of it comes across more like someone who is ready to move on and try to make a normal life, it's not unlike TDKR in its finality. I actually think Marvel may have painted themselves into a bit of corner here. To me anyway the arc of the character feels complete.

[BLACKOUT]fair points mate. but, i disagree with the finality comparison to the dark knight. tony picks up that screw driver - he is still "the mechanic"and he has not faked his own death and he still has his billions of dollars. he has just got to a point where he doesn't NEED to compensate his life by putting on a suit and saving the world. he has found inner peace. this fact, coupled with him picking up the screwdriver, the last line of the film, the taking of the helper robot (presumably to the garage) tells me that we will be seeing iron man again. it is just up to joss now to give tony an interesting arc in the avengers sequel, because by the end of iron man 3 he has reached self actualisation. tony still wants to be iron man now, he just doesn't need to be. it isn't a crutch for him anymore.[/BLACKOUT]

i do agree with you more than my post may imply, however. the ending is open to a bit of interpretation. i guess a middle ground may be that [BLACKOUT]tony is on sabbatical.[/BLACKOUT]

if iron man is [BLACKOUT]"forced out of retirement"[/BLACKOUT] via the threat in avengers 2, then that's great in my opinion.

Last edited:
Both of you have some very interesting points on this movie.

[BLACKOUT]fair points mate. but, i disagree with the finality comparison to the dark knight. tony picks up that screw driver - he is still "the mechanic"and he has not faked his own death and he still has his billions of dollars. he has just got to a point where he doesn't NEED to compensate his life by putting on a suit and saving the world. he has found inner peace. this fact, coupled with him picking up the screwdriver, the last line of the film, the taking of the helper robot (presumably to the garage) tells me that we will be seeing iron man again. it is just up to joss now to give tony an interesting arc in the avengers sequel, because by the end of iron man 3 he has reached self actualisation. tony still wants to be iron man now, he just doesn't need to be. it isn't a crutch for him anymore.[/BLACKOUT]

i do agree with you more than my post may imply, however. the ending is open to a bit of interpretation. i guess a middle ground may be that [BLACKOUT]tony is on sabbatical.[/BLACKOUT]

if iron man is [BLACKOUT]"forced out of retirement"[/BLACKOUT] via the threat in avengers 2, then that's great in my opinion.

A valid point, however I wonder if more fans are going to see it that way than Joe Public. [BLACKOUT] Like I said, there's a completed character arc for Stark that ends here in a similar fashion to TDKR and whilst I can imagine a situation like you suggested I wonder if that may do a bit more harm than good. It's a corner that Marvel painted themselves into that has me scratching my head, it actually shocked me the way it ended. They've probably got it figured out already but it's still a strange decision for a studio trying to create a large universe. [/BLACKOUT] A pleasant surprise but one that left me with more questions than answers.

did you enjoy the movie, jmc?

Yes, my review is in the rate and review thread. A tad slow to begin but picked up in the second act. I have some issues with the villains though.

I've long held the belief that RDJ is the glue holding together the future of Iron Man on film. Even after watching film 3 it's hard for to me to imagine any other person being able to slip into that characters shoes and achieve a similar result. As long as RDJ is there the character is a safe bet. The problem is frankly the series lacks villains, every Iron Man bad guy on film has only ever been ok and not all that memorable, Loki was at least an interesting bad guy for Thor and was a great choice for Avengers, but that lack of a colourful baddie means Stark is always going to be the centre of attention and thus a lot of weight is going to be placed on the actor who plays him to carry the film. RDJ can do it, but I'm curious to know the direction Marvel go with the character when he leaves. I'm not so certain even they know what a post RDJ Iron Man will be like. I'd discuss it further but doing so would potentially ruin the new movie for some people.

This is why it wouldn't shock me one bit if RDJ took on a sort of Nick Fury role from here on out. Just popping in and out of the universe whenever Marvel really needed the juice. It would let RDJ do what he wants on the side and yet still be the glue that keeps the universe together.

We're going to see how popular the MCU really is once he's gone. If I'm Marvel, get rid of Sam Jackson's Nick Fury (love Sam but you could tell in the Avengers that he's getting too old) and make RDJ the director of SHIELD.

It happens in the comics. Why not here?

i predict iron man will be in the avengers 2, but he won't have a prominent role. i think he won't be first billed and essentially be a fun supporting character.

@jmc *thumbs up* x 3

This is why it wouldn't shock me one bit if RDJ took on a sort of Nick Fury role from here on out. Just popping in and out of the universe whenever Marvel really needed the juice. It would let RDJ do what he wants on the side and yet still be the glue that keeps the universe together.

We're going to see how popular the MCU really is once he's gone. If I'm Marvel, get rid of Sam Jackson's Nick Fury (love Sam but you could tell in the Avengers that he's getting too old) and make RDJ the director of SHIELD.

It happens in the comics. Why not here?

The real test is actually going to be Thor 2 IMO. I'm curious to see what sort of Avengers 'bump' it's going to get. IM3 was always going to be a big movie regardless of its quality, if Thor 2 generates similar numbers and critical response I think it's a fair statement to say the MCU is for the near future in good state. I'm suspicious though coz it's a bit like comparing apple and oranges, IM was already big before Avengers, Thor was a moderate success, I can see a bump but I'm not so certain it's going to be a significant one, the first trailer didn't do anything to make me think otherwise. One thing I did notice today was the after credit sequence. The cinema was about 80% full today yet only about a dozen people stayed for the post-credit bit, so I'm not so certain the MCU is as ingrained in people thoughts as some would hope.

The real test is actually going to be Thor 2 IMO. I'm curious to see what sort of Avengers 'bump' it's going to get. IM3 was always going to be a big movie regardless of its quality, if Thor 2 generates similar numbers and critical response I think it's a fair statement to say the MCU is for the near future in good state. I'm suspicious though coz it's a bit like comparing apple and oranges, IM was already big before Avengers, Thor was a moderate success, I can see a bump but I'm not so certain it's going to be a significant one, the first trailer didn't do anything to make me think otherwise. One thing I did notice today was the after credit sequence. The cinema was about 80% full today yet only about a dozen people stayed for the post-credit bit, so I'm not so certain the MCU is as ingrained in people thoughts as some would hope.

While the Thor teaser floored me to ****, I can definitely see your reasoning with your assessment. Iron Man launched it. The Thor and Captain America sequels are the ones that will either sustain it and push it forward or....

Do you think this has anything to do with the fact that general audiences' patience with the cinematic universe was rewarded with last year's Avengers and now the anticipating for the solo films won't be as much?

Is it possible that audiences just now want to see Avengers' films and don't really care about the lead up to them?

I think it's a fair question to ask.

As for Stark's arc being finished with how this film ends, you can make the argument that it also felt finished at the end of Avengers....

I'm not really worried for Thor 2, never underestimate the power of fan-girls specially the Hiddlestoners .... lol

I just got back from seeing it, I really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed in the end stinger, I really need to pee by that point haha

I just got back from seeing it, I really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed in the end stinger, I really need to pee by that point haha

lmao :doh: did you get disappointed because of the so-called twist or because so have to pee so badly? :woot::woot::woot:

I'm now more excited to see this than I was before any other MCU film. I don't know why...but this one just feels right to me. Hard to explain really. 12 hours left....

I'm now more excited to see this than I was before any other MCU film. I don't know why...but this one just feels right to me. Hard to explain really. 12 hours left....

Damn you!!! :argh::argh::argh: :woot::woot::woot:

While the Thor teaser floored me to ****, I can definitely see your reasoning with your assessment. Iron Man launched it. The Thor and Captain America sequels are the ones that will either sustain it and push it forward or....

Do you think this has anything to do with the fact that general audiences patience with the cinematic universe was rewarded with last year's Avengers and now, the anticipating for the solo films won't be as much?

Is it possible that audiences just now want to see Avengers' films and don't really care about the lead up to them?

I think it's a fair question to ask.

As for Stark's arc being finished with how this film ends, you can make the argument that it also felt finished at the end of Avengers....

It's a fair question but I'm not really sure how to answer it. The thing is though IM3 and Avengers are two very different movies tonally, I said this in another thread but I believe Avengers success is down to how accessible the film is and how anyone could watch it regardless whether they saw every solo film before hand or none of them. IM3 is very different, and it won't surprise me if people walk away from it thinking it's not as good as Avengers because frankly the 'fun' aspect has been reduced somewhat. It's a far more mature story and that may be a bit jarring for some people. Avengers was simple, you've actually gotta watch IM3, in fact I'll go so far to say that if I was a 10 year kid I might not enjoy this film as much because the coloufulness has been taken away. Truth is I'm not really sure what to make of the MCU after this film and where they are going and I'm not really sure how people are going to react to it. On one hand Marvel have lifted their game to a more mature level which I like, but on the other hand they've taken away the things people loved about the team up movie and even IM1 , namely the 'fun' aspect.

It's a fair question but I'm not really sure how to answer it. The thing is though IM3 and Avengers are two very different movies tonally, I said this in another thread but I believe Avengers success is down to how accessible the film is and how anyone could watch it regardless whether they saw every solo film before hand or none of them. IM3 is very different, and it won't surprise me if people walk away from it thinking it's not as good as Avengers because frankly the 'fun' aspect has been reduced somewhat. It's a far more mature story and that may be a bit jarring for some people. Avengers was simple, you've actually gotta watch IM3, in fact I'll go so far to say that if I was a 10 year kid I might not enjoy this film as much because the coloufulness has been taken away. Truth is I'm not really sure what to make of the MCU after this film and where they are going and I'm not really sure how people are going to react to it. On one hand Marvel have lifted their game to a more mature level which I like, but on the other hand they've taken away the things people loved about the team up movie and even IM1 , namely the 'fun' aspect.

And yet, I've read from multiple reviews that this is the funniest MCU film of them all? Strange that you say that the fun is gone.

My son is hardcore Iron Man and I'm taking him on this birthday. He'll be five (Marvel seems to position a Marvel film on his birthday ever year since he was born so he's a Marvel kid.) But, I was having reservations after a couple of reviews said it was the most violent of the Iron Man films and the fact that he's out of the suit the most in this one.

I may have to rethink the screening now.

It sounds as if Marvel took the criticism of Iron Man 2 maybe a little too far to the other side. Who knows? I like that it's a much more mature story, akin to the first Iron Man, which was still fun. You believe it goes beyond that film, in terms of maturity?

i just wanna hug all my fellow iron man fans, both those who have seen the film, and those who have not.

*bring it in guys*

lol

And yet, I've read from multiple reviews that this is the funniest MCU film of them all? Strange that you say that the fun is gone.

My son is hardcore Iron Man and I'm taking him on this birthday. He'll be five (Marvel seems to position a Marvel film on his birthday ever year since he was born so he's a Marvel kid.) But, I was having reservations after a couple of reviews said it was the most violent of the Iron Man films and the fact that he's out of the suit the most in this one.

I may have to rethink the screening now.

It sounds as if Marvel took the criticism of Iron Man 2 maybe a little too far to the other side. Who knows? I like that it's a much more mature story, akin to the first Iron Man, which was still fun. You believe it goes beyond that film, in terms of maturity?

Oh yeah, it's more mature than IM1 for sure. If it was on a scale it's much more TDK like than Avengers or even IM1 like. Yeah, I'd check it out yourself before you let you kid see it I think. There is some much heavier stuff in this one that I don't think he'll understand to be honest, in fact there's not a hell of a lot of 'Iron Man' in the movie, it's much more a character piece. The humour I'm not so sure of, it's funny in parts, but some of the humour seems to be played at some pretty serious times which is a bit jarring, I don't know about the funniest MCU film, I guess that comes down to taste. When I say 'fun' I'm talking about Avengers style fun of superheroes going around fighting one and other and saving the city type of thing, not necessarily the humour.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it's more mature than IM1 for sure. If it was on a scale it's much more TDK like than Avengers or even IM1 like. Yeah, I'd check it out yourself before you let you kid see it I think. There is some much heavier stuff in this one that I don't think he'll understand to be honest, in fact there's not a hell of a lot of 'Iron Man' in the movie, it's much more a character piece. The humour I'm not so sure of, it's funny in parts, but some of the humour seems to be played at some pretty serious times which is a bit jarring, I don't know about the funniest MCU film, I guess that comes down to taste.

I keep hearing this, If I'm more of a dark knight person than an Avengers one, would this mean I'd like this film more? If i was more of an Avengers fan would i likely be more disappointed in this?

Oh yeah, it's more mature than IM1 for sure. If it was on a scale it's much more TDK like than Avengers or even IM1 like. Yeah, I'd check it out yourself before you let you kid see it I think. There is some much heavier stuff in this one that I don't think he'll understand to be honest, in fact there's not a hell of a lot of 'Iron Man' in the movie, it's much more a character piece. The humour I'm not so sure of, it's funny in parts, but some of the humour seems to be played at some pretty serious times which is a bit jarring, I don't know about the funniest MCU film, I guess that comes down to taste. When I say 'fun' I'm talking about Avengers style fun or superheroes going around saving the city type of thing, not necessarily the humour.

Hmm, sounds like the Iron Man film I've been waiting on and yet, it might not work for my boy. Decisions, I guess.

Hmm, sounds like the Iron Man film I've been waiting on and yet, it might not work for my boy. Decisions, I guess.

Agreed...I just agree with everything you say from now on it seems. :funny:

I keep hearing this, If I'm more of a dark knight person than an Avengers one, would this mean I'd like this film more? If i was more of an Avengers fan would i likely be more disappointed in this?

Yeah. Same question, jmc. From my sig, you know what kind of person I am...

your 5 year old will be fine imo.

Last edited:

Hard to say. I'm a TDK guy for sure and I enjoyed IM3 because it has a great story arc, probably the best one in the MCU. I also enjoyed Avengers because it was just a fun ride but as a movie I don't think it's a great piece of story telling, I mean I could poke holes to death in that movie but I don't because it's not trying to be anything more than what it is. My advice would be for people to try and distant Avengers from your minds if possible, but I genuinely don't know how people are going to react to this film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"