Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's guy's been hostile and argumentative since he popped up in here. he's not trolling because he disagrees, he's trolling because he's shown zero interest in getting along.

Just stop. The only people I've gotten into arguments with are you and Cherokee...the guy who is currently debating with several people.

Once again, you use the tired tactic of trying to attack me through my username.

For shame.

:up:

Where?
I used your name. That *is* your username, correct?
Do you *not* want people to user your username? Would you prefer I call you "Anonymous" or something? Let me know.

I'm not angry at people having a different opinion. But you know that already. What I am angry at is people coming out of the woodwork with all this fauxrage and getting self-righteous and defensive about a character who has never been anything but an embarrassment to Marvel Comics. I'm still waiting on any of these so-called "Mandarin fans" to explain where they got the idea that the character was ever as popular as they seem to think, ever as cool as they seem to think, ever as interesting as they seem to think. Mandarin is the Amos 'n' Andy of Marvel Comics; hell, even Stan Lee would admit that.

I was disappointed that the rings wouldn't be magical long before this twist came out. That's right. I've been saying I'm disappointed in the way this depiction of Mandarin is going EVEN BEFORE the twist. Right here on SHH, in the IM3 boards. I had a long discussion about the rings with some user (I forget who) and about "realism" in the Iron Man universe.

So I didn't suddenly pop up out of anywhere. You know what suddenly popped up out of the woodwork? This "twist." And that's why there are people who are a bit miffed by it. They have different opinions than you do.

It seems like you are blanket insinuating that most of the people here who don't like the "twist" are trolling. Well, I can tell you I certainly am not.

But to be honest, I hate these trite "nyah nyah you're trolling" "nyah nyah no you are" discussions, and I don't want to be a part of this one. Most of this page has been accusations rather than a discussion of the film or its merits. I want no part of this. So I'm leaving for now.

That's what I don't get at all. I went into great detail about that several days ago, how the MCU and the Iron Man movies in particular have already *significantly* changed characters from the comics, and how virtually every comic-book character in IM3 specifically bears no resemblance to their counterparts on paper at all. And yet there's none of this fauxrage aimed at "zomg Coldblood! zomg Firepower! zomg Jarvis! zomg Iron Patriot!" etc etc.

Actually, I did slightly complain about Coldblood and Firepower. But the Extremis thing makes them cool anyway. Like I said, Jarvis is an improvement and Iron Patriot(although not Norman Osborn but that's not expected in this universe because of rights and such) is a different look for War Machine but he is still pretty much War Machine with an American paintjob, because he has the weapons and it's Rhodey in there. Plus, we know there's a strong possibility he will eventually don the War Machine armor again.

With Mandarin that's not the case because they seem to have [BLACKOUT]completely dropped his ring abilities and have even reduced Mandarin to not being an actual person but a cover. Unless it's supposed to be Killian. And he's dead. Then if it's Kingley's character he's a drunken idiot so there's no redemption for the Mandarin character unless Kingsley's character is only acting like a drunken idiot. Even then, that's something that wouldn't be confirmed for a while anyway and at the moment it's just wishful thinking on my part.[/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:
Everyone needs to calm down or infractions will be served out generously.

I think someone needs to photoshop "Mandarin Twist" onto a Fanta bottle. That will solve everything.

just one more week. won tickets for the premiere on tuesday.

Actually, I did slightly complain about Coldblood and Firepower. But the Extremis thing makes them cool anyway. Like I said, Jarvis is an improvement and Iron Patriot(although not Norman Osborn but that's not expected in this universe because of rights and such) is a different look for War Machine but he is still pretty much War Machine with an American paintjob, because he has the weapons and it's Rhodey in there. Plus, we know there's a strong possibility he will eventually don the War Machine armor again.

With Mandarin that's not the case because they seem to have [BLACKOUT]completely dropped his ring abilities and have even reduced Mandarin to not being an actual person but a cover. Unless it's supposed to be Killian. And he's dead. Then if it's Kingley's character he's a drunken idiot so there's no redemption for the Mandarin character unless Kingsley's character is only acting like a drunken idiot. Even then, that's something that wouldn't be confirmed for a while anyway and at the moment it's just wishful thinking on my part.[/BLACKOUT]

Cosmic, I like you, even when we disagree, and you make your arguments pretty sound and logical. I still disagree with your assessment of Mandarin, of course, but I think we can both agree that after we see the movie, we can discuss it better.

My question to you is, in all seriousness: if you were the filmmaker, and Marvel gave you carte blanche to portray Mandarin the way you saw fit, how would *you* like to see him? Do you think there's a way that the comic-book version would ever fly with general audiences?

I agree with much of this.

If the Mandarin twist were the same as any other change, we wouldn't be having this type of conversation right now. No one, for the most part, is mad that Norman Osborn isn't Iron Patriot. Most people aren't upset about change, they're upset about how things have been changed.

May I jump in with a Mandarin interpretation?

I like the way he has been advertised; I would keep that. I would give Mandarin the powered Rings and they'd be the basis for Kilian's Extremis. Mandarin would've gotten both through a Faustian contract with Thanos or whatever cosmic Marvel entity is appropriate for the MCU. Kilian would see Mandarin as an ignorant puppet; something to cause the US Government to buy his Extremis soldiers. Mandarin would be using Killian as a vehicle to gain control of the Extremis soldiers.

Mandarin does whatever with the Extremis soldiers after revealing his genius to Kilian. Tony gets himself together and confront Mandarin; Mandarin uses his rings against Tony. He could create a dragon-shaped attack from all 10 of his rings as a wink to Fin-Fang-Foom.

Cosmic, I like you, even when we disagree, and you make your arguments pretty sound and logical. I still disagree with your assessment of Mandarin, of course, but I think we can both agree that after we see the movie, we can discuss it better.

My question to you is, in all seriousness: if you were the filmmaker, and Marvel gave you carte blanche to portray Mandarin the way you saw fit, how would *you* like to see him? Do you think there's a way that the comic-book version would ever fly with general audiences?

Thanks for the kind words, sam. I feel the same about you, and I do agree.

I'd keep everything(okay, maybe not) they went for in the character except for the acting thing. Give him actual working rings that don't have to be alien technology, but they can be very advanced technology that can cause the effects that the comic rings do, just to a lesser extent.

And I also might have even made him Asian, even though I'd be great with Kinglsey's version as well. Not a Fu-Manchu type, but something more modern like the below pic and not racist. I'd keep that "collector" angle from Kinglsey's version and I'd give him martial arts abilities(even other fighting styles he's learned from around the world) when he fights too, but no need for a suit like Iron Man. The rings, his mind and skills are all he needs.

il-mandarino-in-versione-casual-look.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not angry at people having a different opinion. But you know that already. What I am angry at is people coming out of the woodwork with all this fauxrage and getting self-righteous and defensive about a character who has never been anything but an embarrassment to Marvel Comics. I'm still waiting on any of these so-called "Mandarin fans" to explain where they got the idea that the character was ever as popular as they seem to think, ever as cool as they seem to think, ever as interesting as they seem to think. Mandarin is the Amos 'n' Andy of Marvel Comics; hell, even Stan Lee would admit that.

That's not really true though, is it? If it were, he wouldn't continuously be re-imagined for each big Iron Man arc. I think what you meant to say was that the 60s version is something they'd like to forget, which I don't see anyone arguing against.

Personally, I'm interested to hear what Kevin Feige has to say about the Mandarin twist once the film is out and he doesn't have to keep it a secret anymore...

I really want them to add a plot moving post credits scene.
I really want the recent rumor to be true regrading a tease for Avengers 2

so much this. Having it be a scene that doesn't hint at the future of the MCU is a waste and incredibly disappointing in my opinion.

Personally, I'm interested to hear what Kevin Feige has to say about the Mandarin twist once the film is out and he doesn't have to keep it a secret anymore...

this

Yeah, looking forward to what he has to say.

so much this. Having it be a scene that doesn't hint at the future of the MCU is a waste and incredibly disappointing in my opinion.

this

where did the rumor originate from? I have strong feeling there is going to be another one.

where did the rumor originate from? I have strong feeling there is going to be another one.

Remember how early releases of The Avengers didn't have the beloved Shawarma stinger? I think it's the case for this film.

Remember how early releases of The Avengers didn't have the beloved Shawarma stinger? I think it's the case for this film.

yes but why would Marvel put a non-plot moving end credits scene to the international version? Shouldn't they put that with the US version so everyone can see the progress rather than reserving it for US?

Stark watching the twist for the first time. *Sighs* "Welp... that pretty much blew." :o

6998205_346aa633d5_o.jpeg

As someone's who's hated the idea of the Mandarin from the get go, i'm rather happy with the way things played out..lol. I don't want alien dragon rings that shoot fire and ice anywhere near MCU Stark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"