Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that spideysays comment is over-the-top for sure. I don't agree with it at all. But I can see how someone could be mad about it. [blackout] All the trailers present Mandarin as the real deal and the central villain. For that not to be true in the actual movie could make people feel like they were deliberately mislead. [/blackout]

But yeah that comment was a bit too extreme. /understatement

Last edited:
JAK®;25675479 said:
Are they better or worse than those frothing at the mouth, quick to defend any criticism of a movie they haven't even seen yet?

Seems to me that you've displayed much more fanboyism than anyone here who is unhappy with the twist.

QFT. He's been at this for days, too.

And its the same BS with the "Oh, you just wanted the racial stereotype Mandarin"

Hell, before the twist was leaked, Kingsley Mandarin on paper sounded pretty cool.

You don't need to be a "true believer"-type fan of the Mandarin to like the character's abilities and want to see him using those rings live-action.

Yeah I've never really been into Mandarin or Iron Man before the movies, but I have begun to like Mandarin over the years because I think he's the coolest Iron Man villain there is, which really isn't saying much but the Mandarin's still cool. Am I [BLACKOUT]disappointed that he's just an actor and won't be using the rings against Iron Man in this movie?[/BLACKOUT] Yes. Do I need to be some kind of super Mandarin fan to feel that disappointment? No.

And if you see it in context you might decide you DON'T like it after all. We all make tentative opinions about the film based on the info we have. Neither opinion is more valid than the other.

Great posts.

Last edited:
And if you see it in context you might decide you DON'T like it after all. We all make tentative opinions about the film based on the info we have. Neither opinion is more valid than the other.

The info we *have* is that the Twist works. I haven't read one negative comment or review from anyone who's actually *seen* the movie so far about how Mandarin is portrayed. The only whining I've heard about "zomg that's not the way comic-book Mandarin is supposed to be" comes from people who haven't seen the movie yet, and are seizing on nerdrage sensationalism.

If we were getting reports and reviews from non-fanboy people saying Kingsley did a terrible job, that the plot twist is awful and makes no sense, and that it ruins the movie for them, then yes, I'd be a lot more apprehensive about this. Instead, all the reports about it have been overwhelmingly positive. The reports and reviews give nothing but glowing praise for Kingsley and the plot twist, so I think I'll rest a little easier. How 'bout you?

Well, that spideysays comment is over-the-top for sure. I don't agree with it at all. But I can see how someone could be mad about it. [blackout] All the trailers present Mandarin as the real deal and the central villain. For that not to be true in the actual movie could make people feel like they were deliberately mislead. [/blackout]

But yeah that comment was a bit too extreme. /understatement

Yep, and don't get me started on how they teased those damn rings.

Mandarin-ringsonbenkingsley.jpg

WTF was this? Agh. So many people in this thread were ecstatic to see that he had the rings. lol!

The reports and reviews give nothing but glowing praise for Kingsley and the plot twist, so I think I'll rest a little easier. How 'bout you?

I don't shape my opinions around the reactions of others, because I'm not those people, and sometimes I have different criteria for what I want to see from a film.

As for the reviews, a number have said that they "liked the twist but it may be controversial to many" or "fans may not be as happy about it as I was." Its because even the reviewers recognize the fact that not all people are the same. Not all people have the same criteria, opinions, or reactions.

The info we *have* is that the Twist works. I haven't read one negative comment or review from anyone who's actually *seen* the movie so far about how Mandarin is portrayed. The only whining I've heard about "zomg that's not the way comic-book Mandarin is supposed to be" comes from people who haven't seen the movie yet, and are seizing on nerdrage sensationalism.

If we were getting reports and reviews from non-fanboy people saying Kingsley did a terrible job, that the plot twist is awful and makes no sense, and that it ruins the movie for them, then yes, I'd be a lot more apprehensive about this. Instead, all the reports about it have been overwhelmingly positive. The reports and reviews give nothing but glowing praise for Kingsley and the plot twist, so I think I'll rest a little easier. How 'bout you?

You seem to be incapable of grasping that objecting to the change has nothing to do with their view of the quality of the movie overall. They wanted to see The Mandarin in a certain way, and now we have confirmation that they changed it. They dislike the change, and no amount of context or quality execution will change that, because it is the core concept that they object to.

The whole "You don't like the twist because someone told you you wouldn't" is such a strawman argument. I read the spoilers in an article that posted in an objective manner, and decided I didn't like the idea on paper.

QFT. He's been at this for days, too.

And its the same BS with the "Oh, you just wanted the racial stereotype Mandarin"

Hell, before the twist was leaked, Kingsley Mandarin on paper sounded pretty cool.

Great posts.

News flash, sunshine: I've been on this very board every ****ing day for the past year or three. I didn't just suddenly materialize out of thin air to start circling the wagons. Unlike you, who just showed up what, three days ago? To what purpose, sir? :huh:

It was either I'd be disappointed after seeing the movie's twist, or I'd be disappointed before the movie after hearing about the twist.

I'd rather hear about the twist now, instead of sitting up in the theater like a dumbass waiting for the Mandarin to finally let loose and use those rings against Iron Man. At least now, I'm prepared for disappointment.

News flash, sunshine: I've been on this very board every ****ing day for the past year or three. I didn't just suddenly materialize out of thin air to start circling the wagons. Unlike you, who just showed up what, three days ago? To what purpose, sir? :huh:

Oh, sunshine, don't be so upset you focus on semantics. :cwink:

I was talking about you your posts regarding the whole Mandarin twist, not how long you've been posting in general.

Last edited:
Oh, sunshine, don't be so upset you focus on semantics.

No, really. Please, because I wanna know:
are you here just to troll, or what, TheBatman?

Where did you come from all of a sudden? :huh:

Seriously guys give it a rest. It is a major change to the character, but face it, other than Stane, every villain in this franchise has been significantly changed from the comics. Freaking Jarvis was significantly changed from the comics. But it worked.

Also people still need to be careful with the spoiler info, some people do not want to hear this, and the cat has been totally let out on the bag on this one. Use blackouts, use spoiler tags.

Just because someone differs with you doesn't make them a troll. I don't know why you are so angry that people have a different opinion.

Seriously guys give it a rest. It is a major change to the character, but face it, other than Stane, every villain in this franchise has been significantly changed from the comics. Freaking Jarvis was significantly changed from the comics. But it worked.

Also people still need to be careful with the spoiler info, some people do not want to hear this, and the cat has been totally let out on the bag on this one. Use blackouts, use spoiler tags.

Only thing is, Jarvis is still basically Jarvis and he works better than the physical version would have imo. The Mandarin being [BLACKOUT]an actor with powerless rings[/BLACKOUT] is just bs and took a complete 180 on the character. Sure it might fit in some smart twist, but it's still meh.

This.

Thank you, voice of reason.

No, really. Please, because I wanna know:
are you here just to troll, or what, TheBatman?

Where did you come from all of a sudden? :huh:

Once again, you use the tired tactic of trying to attack me through my username.

For shame.

Batman always pops up out of nowhere. Just ask Commissioner Gordon. :o

Just because someone differs with you doesn't make them a troll. I don't know why you are so angry that people have a different opinion.

:up:

Here's his comment:

He can't be serious with that comment? I am as big a nerd as there can be and I LOVE both the books and the movies but still....

It's just a movie. It's just a comic book.

Why so serious? I hope I see someone have a breakdown during my screening.

Again, it's irrelevant whether or not it works in the movie. People are objecting to the detail because it's not what they wanted to see.

That's guy's been hostile and argumentative since he popped up in here. he's not trolling because he disagrees, he's trolling because he's shown zero interest in getting along.

Well, CBM is showing how much of a lovely community it is once again due to these spoilers...

That's what I don't get at all. I went into great detail about that several days ago, how the MCU and the Iron Man movies in particular have already *significantly* changed characters from the comics, and how virtually every comic-book character in IM3 specifically bears no resemblance to their counterparts on paper at all. And yet there's none of this fauxrage aimed at "zomg Coldblood! zomg Firepower! zomg Jarvis! zomg Iron Patriot!" etc etc.

I'm not angry at people having a different opinion. But you know that already. What I am angry at is people coming out of the woodwork with all this fauxrage and getting self-righteous and defensive about a character who has never been anything but an embarrassment to Marvel Comics. I'm still waiting on any of these so-called "Mandarin fans" to explain where they got the idea that the character was ever as popular as they seem to think, ever as cool as they seem to think, ever as interesting as they seem to think. Mandarin is the Amos 'n' Andy of Marvel Comics; hell, even Stan Lee would admit that.

Both sides of the argument should look at this. It looks like Iron Man 3 is going to be a great film that is very well received. I think that's the most important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"