Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will NEVER understand how the birthday party could be viewed as funny by anyone with some degree of empathy. It was a deeply disturbing scene, very appropiately done from Pepper and Rhodey point of view, featuring their dear friend drunk off his ass, publicly making a fool of himself, handling a dangerous weapon and refusing to come down. This was not in the film for laughs, the fact that some people thought otherwise is baffling to me :(.

well put

I don't know, how about that suitcase scene at the racetrack.

FRIGGING DRIVE THAT CAR OVER ME, HAPPY. :cmad:

Also, Tony's birthday party... C'mon.

.... you have and incredibly odd sense of what is "slapstick" or comedy... you don't apparently have much wiggle room on your sense of that

Not exactly news, but...
84590a9e389411e2976e22000a1fbc8d_7.jpg

i know its really early but did disney say anything related to superbowl spots?

I will NEVER understand how the birthday party could be viewed as funny by anyone with some degree of empathy. It was a deeply disturbing scene, very appropiately done from Pepper and Rhodey point of view, featuring their dear friend drunk off his ass, publicly making a fool of himself, handling a dangerous weapon and refusing to come down. This was not in the film for laughs, the fact that some people thought otherwise is baffling to me :(.

Because that's the way they played the scene. If they would have actually tried to make it disturbing instead of "haha, he's making an ass out of himself" funny with "Another One Bites the Dust" playing duying the fight between IM and WM, it could have been a strong scene.

Yes the scene as a whole was meant to be an intense, dramatic scene, but as these are family films, they can never really go fully into such drama. There were definitely moments within the scene done for laughs to offset the darker nature of the scene.

I remember wanting to be disturbed, but it really did seem played for laughs. Rhodey and Pepper seemed like parents disciplining a child, not friends doing an intervention.

yeah that scene was mostly played for laughs. and the ensuing fight was also meant to be humorous (they werent going to kill each other). and since they havent made an issue of his drinking, its hard to be overly disturbed by Tony acting like a jackass. and as stated above, the music selection implies tongue-in-cheek humor. my two cents.

on-topic: do we know when the movie takes place in relation to TA?

yeah that scene was mostly played for laughs. and the ensuing fight was also meant to be humorous (they werent going to kill each other). and since they havent made an issue of his drinking, its hard to be overly disturbed by Tony acting like a jackass. and as stated above, the music selection implies tongue-in-cheek humor. my two cents.

I should hope something like a few months after.

Yes the scene as a whole was meant to be an intense, dramatic scene, but as these are family films, they can never really go fully into such drama. There were definitely moments within the scene done for laughs to offset the darker nature of the scene.

The scene was long enough to contain several moments. It was gross but funny right until Pepper could not take the micro from Tony, and escalated to nightmarish very quickly, that with shooting in the direction of civilians ( nothing to laugh about there). It winded down a bit during IM / WM fight, mostly because that part was done from Tony's point of view and he still found the thing hilarious. The ending was pretty poignant, again, with Rhodey believing Tony did not deserve his friendship and basically betraying him / stealing his tech, and Tony just watching him go. Just because there were no tears shed and by the end of the movie both brushed off their respective apologies, did not mean the entire scene was there for laughs. It is a good example of a fairly deep issue narrated in a lighthearted way, and it worked very well for me, boh the complex moments and the humor touches.

Pretty safe to say that it takes place around Christmas 2012.
Reason being that the events of Avengers are fresh enough to weigh heavily on Stark's mind, and the movie itself is confirmed to take place at Christmas, a Shane Black "ism."

I doubt they will reference a year per-say. I don't believe any marvel film has referenced a present date at all to be fair

I remember wanting to be disturbed, but it really did seem played for laughs. Rhodey and Pepper seemed like parents disciplining a child, not friends doing an intervention.

I felt disturbed... Especially when he was blasting objects while drunk with a high powered weapon into a crowd of civilians.... Would it have been more scary if instead of a blast he was holding a gun?

I felt disturbed... Especially when he was blasting objects while drunk with a high powered weapon into a crowd of civilians.... Would it have been more scary if instead of a blast he was holding a gun?

That, and the fact that he screamed like an animal at the crowd to chase them off. Nothing particularly funny about that. Tony was out of control, and not in a hee-hee sort of way.

The thing is Tony was given justification to do it because he was dying and Black Widow sort of encouraged him.

I think it was one of those scenes that look funny at first but when you think about it for a bit, it's actually pretty horrible.

The thing is Tony was given justification to do it because he was dying and Black Widow sort of encouraged him.

Makes you wonder if she was suppose to encourage his to screw up so he could consentrate on himself and his fathers work

Makes you wonder if she was suppose to encourage his to screw up so he could consentrate on himself and his fathers work

The more I think about it the more I think that this was their plan all along. He lost the trust of his friends and one suit. And the SHIELD had free hand in his company.

The thing is his whole drunk scene was pretty innocuous. It wasn't that bad because Tony thought he was dying and Black Widow nudged him and said, "hey live a little if you think it's your last birthday ever." It happened in an isolated area. He didn't fly out to an actual crisis drunk and his friends didn't really abandon him. He didn't have that horrendous sequence where Bethany Cabe was fighting to keep him dry.

It was borderline but it was a pretty innocuous scene because I mean kids worship Iron Man now so we will never see him go full blown alcoholic. Favreau even said, "We didn't want to do Leaving Las Vegas."

some of your responses to that scene are, uh, surprising. never heard anyone anywhere say that they were disturbed in any way by that scene. in fact, most of what ive read/heard points to that scene as being silly and one of the reasons why IM2 was a step down from IM1. Irregardless, did you really think Tony was gonna commit homicide/manslaughter against civilians? He cracked up his house, made an ass of himself and pissed off his friends, full stop.

Those of you who saw a high level of pathos and tension in this scene are either a)rationalizing liking a movie most people arent crazy about or b)are bringing their own baggage to bear. Choice b) is perfectly valid, but it doesnt change the fact that IM2 is a deeply flawed - but still watchable - sequel.

on-topic: are we getting any Marvel cameos in this movie? Do we want cameos? Personally, I hope they give SHIELD the day off as it were.

Last edited:
I think when these movies were first being made we had an expectation we could see stuff like Demon in a Bottle. In fact once Robert Downey Jr. got the role it intensified that expectation. Of course all that changed once the movie came out and kids started dressing up as Iron Man for Halloween and buying all the toys and merch. Suddenly you can't have an alcoholic superhero.

You can sort of do stuff like Tony getting tipsy or having a drinky drink or having fun with the ladies, but he can't hit rock bottom and become a full blown alcoholic.

In Iron Man 2 most of the time he was behaving and being responsible. He usually wasn't drinking and was instead drinking his health smoothies. So it wasn't like, he thought he messed up so badly he got depressed and drowning his depression with alcohol.

I think when these movies were first being made we had an expectation we could see stuff like Demon in a Bottle. In fact once Robert Downey Jr. got the role it intensified that expectation. Of course all that changed once the movie came out and kids started dressing up as Iron Man for Halloween and buying all the toys and merch. Suddenly you can't have an alcoholic superhero.

You can sort of do stuff like Tony getting tipsy or having a drinky drink or having fun with the ladies, but he can't hit rock bottom and become a full blown alcoholic.

In Iron Man 2 most of the time he was behaving and being responsible. He usually wasn't drinking and was instead drinking his health smoothies. So it wasn't like, he thought he messed up so badly he got depressed and drowning his depression with alcohol.

I do think instead of his fight with Rhodey at the party, he should've had an actual fight with an armoured Vanko while drunk, and gotten thoroughly trashed. That's a staple of the comics. It could've brought him partially to his senses, and shown how he needs to be more responsible. He can't think he'll always win. It would've brought more weight to his drinking problem in IM2 and probably would've made for a better movie.

Maybe Vanko would underestimate him at the end because he thinks that Stark is just a drunk, but now he's facing a sober Iron Man, which is vastly different. That's what was great about the fight between IM and Iron Monger in IM #200. Stane had always faced a drunk Stark and was able to beat him. When they finally clashed personally, this was a different Stark in battle and far more formidable.

Much scarier. I don't think of IM's computer targeted light show that has never ever hurt any civilians the same way I do an indiscriminate pistol that has a long history of being used on innocents.

If he had missed any of the fast moving targets while being stupid-drunk, perhaps it would have entered my mind that he could have missed any more than when he sniped the hostage holders in that village in IM1. But as is, Tony didn't think he'd miss, and he didn't have any trouble at all, he was just abusing his power. Rhodey didn't even bother to clear the room until there was a fight. I don't think the scene painted the crowd as in any real danger. They didn't even get a safe distance from the house during a superhero fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"