Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

I take it some of you guys who are stating you have no interest in this movie will just pop up again when bigger news about it hits repeating the same thing? :o

The only CBM in production or post that I want to watch in a theater.

Yep, can totally see the Trump resemblance right there. :o

Interesting to see him back in another Batman-esque movie.

Wow, after Selina ditched that congressman, he sobered up and remembered he was actually Thomas Wayne. Bruce is going to be thrilled to know that his dad is still alive.

I feel like this movie will either end up amazing or terrible. Either way it will definitely be interesting, which is more than I can say for a lot of things.

Here’s what’s going to happen.

Todd Phillips will make a movie that is mediocre but well acted. The studio will want more Joker once they see the final product and demand reshoots which will make it look heavily edited and give it a whole new third act.

We’ve seen this happen too many times.

Eh. I'm intrigued, but ultimately think this movie just doesn't need to happen.

Well, no movie does, really...

Do you think the production will achieve a level of secrecy similar to Nolan's in regard to the Jokers look? Or you think a leak will give it away?

Todd Phillips will make a movie that is mediocre but well acted. The studio will want more Joker once they see the final product and demand reshoots which will make it look heavily edited and give it a whole new third act.

I don't really see why. It's not like this is going to be a big action film like Suicide Squad and Justice League. The plot leak did describe the movie as a cautionary tale/character study. So it most likely won't be like the majority of comic book movies that feature a big action packed third act.

Eh. I'm intrigued, but ultimately think this movie just doesn't need to happen. DC is throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

Most of the best films of all time didn't NEED to happen, either.

That is a genuine concern, but I doubt that will be the case here.

The fact that this movie is modestly budgeted to begin with will help to keep WB out of the editing bay, along with the fact that this can be more of a "prestige" picture than the rest of the big-budgeted CBMs. There is a lot less to lose with a film like this, and it doesn't need to appeal to such a broad audience if it is going to be very adult-oriented and possibly rated R.

I think the first trailer will get people excited but may be more commercial than the film will actually be. It will be similar to Suicide Squad where they will force the movie to be more like the trailer in tone.

I know it’s a cynical take but I wouldn’t put it past them.

Everybody saying no movie "needs" to happen. I'm aware, thanks.

What I meant was that nobody was asking for this, and it does nothing for DC's already struggling strategy for their films. All it will do is confuse people.

The movie costs $50 million dollars to make. I really don't see them interfering with it.

Hell the movie may clear that total by its first weekend. It's low risk, high reward.

Everybody saying no movie "needs" to happen. I'm aware, thanks.

What I meant was that nobody was asking for this, and it does nothing for DC's already struggling strategy for their films. All it will do is confuse people.
I perhaps didn't ask for it, but there are plenty of fans excited for it, myself included, so...

Full cast announced

Warner Bros. Officially Announces Full 'Joker' Cast & Crew

"Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ Joker, starring Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix in the title role, alongside Oscar winner Robert De Niro, and directed, produced and co-written by Oscar nominee Todd Phillips," Warner Bros. said in a press release.

"Joker centers around the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone story not seen before on the big screen. Phillips’ exploration of Arthur Fleck (Phoenix), a man disregarded by society, is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale."

"The film also stars Zazie Beetz (Deadpool 2), Bill Camp (Red Sparrow, Molly’s Game), Frances Conroy (American Horror Story, Castle Rock), Brett Cullen (42, Narcos), Glenn Fleshler (Billions, Barry), Douglas Hodge (Red Sparrow, Penny Dreadful), Marc Maron (Maron, GLOW), Josh Pais (Motherless Brooklyn, Going in Style), and Shea Whigham (First Man, Kong: Skull Island).

"Phillips (The Hangover trilogy) directs from a screenplay he co-wrote with writer Scott Silver (The Fighter), based on characters from DC. The film is being produced by Phillips and Bradley Cooper under their Joint Effort banner, and Emma Tillinger Koskoff. It is executive produced by Richard Baratta, Joseph Garner and Bruce Berman.

"Behind the scenes, Phillips is joined by director of photography Lawrence Sher (upcoming Godzilla: King of the Monsters, The Hangover trilogy), production designer Mark Friedberg (Selma, The Amazing Spider-Man 2), editor Jeff Groth (War Dogs, The Hangover Part III), and Oscar-winning costume designer Mark Bridges (Phantom Thread, The Artist).

"A Warner Bros. Pictures presentation, in Association with Village Roadshow Pictures, in Association with BRON Creative, a Joint Effort Production, Joker is set for release October 4, 2019, and will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures."

I perhaps didn't ask for it, but there are plenty of fans excited for it, myself included, so...

For the financials, it's a good idea. It's cheap, and as you said, people are excited for it. It might even end up being a good movie.

But I think that will all be in spite of WB. Not because of it. Like I said, it's WB making every type of movie they thing might work, hedging their bets that at least one of them will be successful.

I guess I'm just sour on WB and their decision making. I'm not a fan of them making these weird elseworld stories, just because their shared universe failed.

For the financials, it's a good idea. It's cheap, and as you said, people are excited for it. It might even end up being a good movie.

But I think that will all be in spite of WB. Not because of it.
But if the film is successful, would credit not be owed to WB for rolling the dice on it? They sanctioned the script. They greenlit the script. They let Phillips assemble his cast and crew and will hopefully leave him to it. What's in spite of them?

The whole "not needing this movie" thing goes two ways. Imagine if the film is a big hit. Now imagine if WB had chosen not to make the movie because it wasn't "needed." Then we would have been denied a great movie. And for what reason? Because it didn't fall in line with a shared universe that burned out before it even got started? Seems silly to me.

Films for DC's premier characters will come. Some will be good, some will be bad. The delays that The Flash has experienced have been frustrating, but that movie will happen soon enough and God willing the wait will prove to have been worth it. But you don't have to shelve an entire line of one-off, Elsworlds films in favor of a shared universe that is frankly in no position to be rushed anyway. That benefits nobody.

I'll happily take what I can get, and take it all in stride.

But if the film is successful, would credit not be owed to WB for rolling the dice on it? They sanctioned the script. They greenlit the script. They let Phillips assemble his cast and crew and will hopefully leave him to it. What's in spite of them?

It's a big picture thing to me. They also greenlit every other DC property, and they've all sucked (save Wonder Woman). I don't like supporting the studio's superhero projects, when they've proven themselves inept at handling superhero projects. Even if a handful of individual projects turn out well.

Because then they don't learn their lesson.

This might be a good turning point for them, and I truly hope they get their **** together. Because I want good superhero movies too. But I shouldn't have to endure 4 bad superhero movies for every 1 good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"