Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

I just saw an article announcing this movie. It has this line in it:

“The news drops alongside DC’s announcement of Robert Pattinson as the leading anti-hero in Matt Reeve’s The Batman, releasing in theaters Friday, March 4.”

Referring to Batman as an “anti-hero” fills me with the rage of a thousand suns. I want to do this to this writer:

upload_2022-1-31_17-59-20.gif

The part about this that confuses me is why is it so exciting that a FIRST draft is finished?
I would be more excited about a Final Draft.
Don't be surprised if Phillips soon says that he has not heard anything about this.

If they were to put Harley in a potential sequel, I hope she's more Daryl Hannah in Blade Runner than Margot Robbie in SS/BOP.
I've thought of Amanda Seyfriend for Harley for a time:
17aa6153277bc9c846101abd76f56207.jpg

I’m imagining Lady Gaga going all in for Harley. If they explore that character with the same respect they gave Joker, that could be an Oscar worthy role.

I dont think it will be...I think that is scooper clickbaiters throwing out crap without any proof or source.

I don't see it. First of all I don't see how Harley fits and I definitely don't see Gaga wanting the role or being a good choice for it. I love Gaga but it just doesn't click for me, especially in that universe. YMMV.

I prefer that Joker sidekick in this universe should be Gaggy i think Gary Arthur friend should become that character it could be something new i like Harley but i think its to early to be with Joker

The Falcones should be the Villains in Joker 2
Arthur should go against them just like Joker did in Long Halloween to become the top mafia boss in Gotham and earn his title of Clown Prince of Crime Batman should be for a third movie

Ehhh. The Batman is already using Carmine Falcone, so it would be too soon as to feel like a re-tread. Plus that idea doesn't sound all that interesting to me.

Plus Arthur Fleck Joker doesn't seem like the type that wants to rule the underworld. Too much order he would want chaos. Fleck would only want to control Arkham because those are his people.

I always felt Fleck was Ledger's Joker without the megalomania. He has no interest in power or sociological experiments...he just finds life makes more sense when it is crazy (he is always happiest in his delusions) so he wants to world running around like a coke fiend who just snorted an 8 ball! He would only go after Falcone if he also went after the cops because that is how you really screw with society.

That's interesting because I've personally always seen more of Nicholson in Phoenix's portrayal than I have Ledger. I think that's why they're my two favourites. Despite the stylistic similarities to Ledger and the gritty realism of Joker's Gotham, I somehow see Phoenix's version gravitating more towards the absurdism and the 'randomness' of crime that Nicholson's Joker captured so brilliantly, though obviously not on the same scale. I would find that progression more palatable and easier to buy into than, say, Arthur Fleck suddenly becoming an obsessive, murderous ideologue like Ledger. In fact that was the whole point of Fleck in Joker, wasn't it? That he didn't believe in anything. Total nihilist.

Last edited:
That's interesting because I've personally always seen more of Nicholson in Phoenix's portrayal than I have Ledger. I think that's why they're my two favourites. Despite the stylistic similarities to Ledger and the gritty realism of Joker's Gotham, I somehow see Phoenix's version gravitating more towards the absurdism and the 'randomness' of crime that Nicholson's Joker captured so brilliantly, though obviously not on the same scale. I would find that progression more palatable and easier to buy into than, say, Arthur Fleck suddenly becoming an obsessive, murderous ideologue like Ledger. In fact that was the whole point of Fleck in Joker, wasn't it? That he didn't believe in anything. Total nihilist.

I could totally see him becoming like Ledger's Joker. Its the horrible world and the foul side of human nature that pushes him over the edge..

Joker: "Have you seen what its like out there, Murray? Everybody is awful these days. Its enough to make anybody crazy".
Murray: "That's your defense for killing those young men? You're crazy? Not everybody is awful"

Its the exact same kind of ideology Ledger's Joker had about how deep down everyone is just bad. And they hide it behind rules and civility. And seeing him inspire chaos and anarchy at the end. That was way more in line with Ledger's Joker.

Ledger's terrorism is certainly informed by nihilism, sure. But then a sense of nihilism is pretty much par the course for most versions of the character. Especially in the modern era. What separates Ledger from the others (especially Phoenix) is that it serves as the basis for his anarchical ideology and political terrorism.

Phoenix's Joker is explicitly apolitical, and even when given the opportunity to take credit for 'starting a movement' on the Murray Franklin show, flat out rejects the assertion, saying he killed the three men simply because they were awful.

And that's the crux here: Phoenix's Joker only cares about wider society in as much as he hates people for treating him (and if his perspective can even be trusted, seemingly only him) terribly. He doesn't care about how anyone else is affected, and laughs it off when he's reminded that a protestor, one of his fellow downtrodden, got killed as a result of his actions. He's a total narcissist in that regard.

Ledger's Joker is somewhat more complex and philosophical in his musings on society and human nature, but the very fact that he tries to prove that everyone else is just as awful as him obviously hints at a deeper self-loathing that the Phoenix version doesn't seem to exhibit once the Joker persona fully takes hold by the movie's end. In my mind, they're total opposites.

I could definitely see Gaga as the Jokerverse Harley Quinn, good call there.

Elisabeth Moss might be interesting as well.

Considering the first movie was so grounded while being kind of a big POV fantasy, I'm pretty sure the next film will be for the most time inside Arkham.

Todd and Joaquin kept saying that to make a sequel, it needs to have a purpose, a thematic resonance like the first film (child abuse, treatment, etc). I keep thinking of One flew over the coocoo's nest as a reference of approach the sequel could go :

• First act is all about how society treat mentally ill people from the place it says cure them, popularity and how you can use it. Which could really be horrific. Arthur begin to form his first real group of supposedly "friends".
  • Second act could revolve around those people trying to create some sort of revolution inside, they make the plan while Arthur has a plan on his own. It all ends with a manifestation that gives the chance to Joker to escape, could even have help from exterior, some fans of his.
  • Final act is about what he does while police are on his trails, they eventually found him and then all the meaning of the movie revolves around that scene, the interaction between the law and him, like the talk show in the first one but this time Joker does not get caught. It was all part of the plan.
This way they could find thematic around how Arthur deals with his popularity, how he decides to really manipulate everyone around him to get his liberty, how prisoner and patient are treated. I also think Joaquin won't loose as much weight, I'm pretty sure we will have a pretty drastic change in his look considering he's being locked up since.

Plus in all that you need to have that element of fantasy and illusion that Arthur lives in.

In the end, this film needs to be as bold if not much more than the first one in terms of changing comics adaptations. I may be completely wrong and that is what's exciting about where this movie could go.

Last edited:
I wonder if Joker 2 is ever made the general audience will be confused or not about these different Batman universes what if a Joker that is not Phoenix appear in The Batman movies? or a new Batman that is not Pattinson in Joker 2 or 3? it seems that the focus of Warner attention is The Batman story so they could cancel Joker 2 in favor of a Joker from The Batman universe i hope that dont happens I think DC would benefit from having more alternative lines to the DCEU

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"