The Joker Thread - Part 1

I'm pretty sure Phoenix will be great if that trailer is any indication. But there is always the possibility that a performance could go the other way. I really liked what I saw of Leto's Joker in the first few Suicide Squad trailers.

What if the Phoenix version is bad?
I highly doubt that. I think that even if somehow the film ends up not being as great as it looks (and it does look great), I think the portrayal phoenix gives will have an impact. He's an amazing actor

I highly doubt that. I think that even if somehow the film ends up not being as great as it looks (and it does look great), I think the portrayal phoenix gives will have an impact. He's an amazing actor

Jared Leto is an Academy Award winner.

I think Leto deserves more credit than that as an actor at least. I'm excited for what Phoenix will do the role as well, but that doesn't retroactively make Jared a bad actor. Not even Phoenix could've made something good outta that SS role.

Joaquin to me is Joker now
I'm gonna hold off till I've seen and digested the movie before I commit myself, but Phoenix looks/acts absolutely ****ing awesome from what I've seen so far.

So what? Cary Grant , Alfred Hitchcock and many other talented actors and directors never won an Oscar. The Oscar is hardly proof of anything . He gave one good performance,that's all.

So what? They got an arguably great actor to play Joker in Suicide Squad.

Leto can be good, but his approach to Joker was awful. Same goes for David Ayer's vision for the character. Just a bad combo there. Phoenix looks to be on another level with his performance, even if his Joker has seemingly nothing to do with Batman :funny:

I would be interested in seeing Leto go again but I doubt that will happen. I feel like the biggest problem with his Joker was he had no character, just ideas, and that's mainly a writing problem. I also feel like one of the only people in the world that is not at all excited about this Joker movie and at this point am not super interested in see this take carry on in a larger Batman world. Hope I get proven wrong, though.

I think Leto deserves more credit than that as an actor at least. I'm excited for what Phoenix will do the role as well, but that doesn't retroactively make Jared a bad actor. Not even Phoenix could've made something good outta that SS role.

Pretty much.
Leto had bad material and direction, but the potential was there...how people can ignore that, i dont understand nor do i really care.

Leto can be good, but his approach to Joker was awful. Same goes for David Ayer's vision for the character. Just a bad combo there. Phoenix looks to be on another level with his performance, even if his Joker has seemingly nothing to do with Batman :funny:

Yup, people always say the joker is easy to get...but nope, not as easy as they thought when making SS.
You still need a clear direction and a vision that works, despite what many think...not everything works with the Joker(just look at gotham for another example XD)

Leto is awful as The Joker in the same way that Cavill was awful as Superman. Poor writing, bad direction, crap characterisation. He could have easily been a very good Joker. As good as Phoenix? Maybe. As good as Ledger? Nope. But I have no doubt he could have done a good job. By all accounts, he’s a bit of a jerk, but his acting talent is obvious from his other roles.

I was thrilled when Leto was cast, and I remember being excited beyond belief when those cellphone leaks came out showing him in a white suit. It was very evocative of the TDKR Joker, which is precisely the type of Joker I was hoping he'd play. Of course, the blurry quality of those leaks hid the sobering reality of the character's design.

Then the official reveal came and it was basically downhill from there.

Last edited:
I see each Joker interpretation as different version, one cannot take place of the other.

In case of Leto's Joker, if WB wants him to continue (and if he too, wants to continue), they should make some changes in his wardrobe (lose the Gangster look), get rid of many unnecessary tattoos, tone down the Neon bright green hair, give him bit longer hair and ask him to dial back his mannerisms several notches.

And lastly, give him some decent dialogue and some depth to his character.

I hope they don't and Reeves uses him. I love the salt

Jai Courtney talked about his experiences with Leto on Collider today. Can't link it because of the S-word, but he confirms that Leto sent weird things to the cast. He sent Margot a live snake, and then there's the famous rat. He said everyone was cool with it.

If Reeves is going younger with Batman, then The Joker should follow suit. The ship has sailed on Leto, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Unless Reeves goes younger or this is actually Elseworlds, BoP has solidified Leto’s Joker’s place in the DCEU. Sure things can change, but it’s clearly not something WB feels the need to shy away from.

Last edited:
Jared Leto is an Academy Award winner.
Yes he is, and he's a fantastic actor that got dealt a terrible hand with a terribly written version of The Joker. I think jared is fantastic in other films, most recently being blade Runner 2049, but it was obvious from day one his Joker rubbed people the wrong way. From the look, to the voice, and to his on set antics. He was a terrible, terrible Joker covered in tattoos, bling, and also attempting to be a weird version of Ace ventura.

Leto could have been a great Joker, but it was clear from the moment we saw him that this wasn't gonna be a Joker that the majority of people would embrace.

Last edited:
So let's see.
Reeves got rid of Affleck, reports are he's gonna get rid of JK Simmons and Jeremy Irons, and you think he's gonna keep Jared Leto, the one that in the 5 minutes he appeared in proved to be the worst Joker ever and comes with an insane amount of baggage?
Nah. Leto will not appear in Reeves Batman films. I can guarantee you that.

Unless Reeve’s goes younger or this is actually Elseworlds, BoP has solidified Leto’s Joker’s place in the DCEU. Sure things can change, but it’s clearly not something WB feels the need to shy away from.
But he IS going younger...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"