Justice League The Justice League General & Speculation Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 46

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a certain point, Superman can't just keep talking and keep asking people to support him. He can't make them trust him. He has to take a leap of faith and let the trust part come later as a result of action. When the public asks for him to speak, he does. He is letting the public have space to ask questions. I think that's great.

Except he literally does not speak at any point during this sequence :funny:

The part of the movie when Finch goes on TV during a press conference and asks Superman explicitly to speak and poses specific questions. The montage sequence doesn't feature that at all. That's more the people talking amongst themselves. The people in that montage aren't demanding answers from Superman. They're talking to each other about how they feel about the situation. So, to be clear, I'm talking about this scene, which happens two scenes after the montage:

How do we determine what's good? In a democracy, good is a conversation not a unilateral decision. So, I urge Superman, to come to this hearth of the people tomorrow. To see those who have suffered. The world needs to know what happened in that desert. And to know what he stands for. How far will he take his power? Does he act by our will, or by his own?

The writers are keeping Superman at arm's length from the people that exist within his story.

Sure, Superman not immediately trying to clear his name publicly might be him giving the public space to come to its own conclusions (I disagree, though, that he supports Lois’s investigation.) But Finch’s statement suggests that in the two years in which Superman has been operating, he hasn’t given any indication of what he actually stands for. That suggests that for two years, Superman has been rescuing people (and animals) from physical danger, but he hasn’t done any of the sorts of things below.

Forgive me for the long list of pictures, but I felt it best to show something of what I mean. Superman typically does so much more than just rescue people from physical danger. He stops ordinary crime and combats corruption. He intervenes in individual people’s lives to give them personal hope. He engages with the public and enlists the help of ordinary people to be “a force for good.”

He does this up-close, in-person, and not just from a distance. A Superman who does all these things would have enough of a reputation that the central question wouldn’t be, “What does he stand for?” but, “Does he stand for something different?” This Superman that we see is still a cipher to most people (even those who adore him), and because of that he is solely defined by what others say about him and his actions rather than about what he says and does. Now if BvS took place six months to one year after MOS, and Clark was still easing into being Superman, that might be explainable. But two years later?

Even if this was a Superman who hasn’t yet become comfortable with getting so involved in human affairs, having him retreat further away from humanity in a Death of Superman adaptation just before a Justice League film wasn’t really the thing to do. And I think it is one reason why Justice League has to go to such lengths (including that opening) to try to present Superman as having the same sort of impact and influence he might have had if he had done more of the sorts of things below — and not just rescuing people from fires, floods, earthquakes and alien monsters.

cjDDVv1.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7Wg-PDxa...0n6qg3J_TiEKa-hkOPG_NwCEw/s1600/IMG_6112.jpeg

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2016/11/dcu_decisions_-_comic_-_h_-_2016.jpg

https://mk0comicsversenv1t5k.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/politics3.jpg

moralesaction.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back