Justice League The Justice League General & Speculation Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its safe the say the movie was probably a lighter, less controversial version of BvS UE. Long, deliberate pace, serious tone, bombastic music but with a lighter more playful vibe due to the team's chenistry, but still not quite the family friendly, laugh riot action romp the studio wanted.

But lets call a spade a spade here, it wouldnt have fully won over those who were sour on Zack's style of filmmaking. I think the detractors would have felt it was marginally better than BvS and MoS but still have lots of problems with it.

Completely agree

if you think sucker punch or BvS UE was unwatchable then it was probably unwatchable and you didn't think they were unwatchable then it wasn't probably

Well its a bit unfair to compare it to Sucker Punch, which is arguably the weakest movie Zack has done(although I like it). A more apt comparison would be Watchmen or MOS or even 300. None of those movies are unwatchable imo, and neither was JL. If we are to believe BOF(yeah right), its far more likely that WB just wanted something vastly different.

I mean these are the guys that cut out all of the good stuff from the trailers and those deleted scenes, and put in stuff like "thirsty" and Flash falling on WW's boobs. They thought that made it watchable lmao. So yeah, different standards and all :funny:

Let's not forget that dudes over at BOF don't like Batman being part of a shared universe, and they were not very happy that Batman was going to be in a Justice League movie. They want a stand-alone, separate Batman franchise from the start, to them DCEU could crash and burn, they don't care.

So, them saying JL was 'unwatchable', yeah.. I am not going to blindly trust them.

It doesn't matter now, what's done is done. This version of JL is dead in the water.
It still boggles my mind how the could screw up something
( starting with BvS ) that was free money for the taking.
All they had to be was decent to good and the public woulda ate them up.
It's like being handed the mona Lisa and you scribble all over it with crayons, or the keys to a Lamborghini and you crash it in your driveway.
Amazing. I'd pay real money to see a film about the making of em, the real truth.

Its not all bad man, Wonder Woman came out of this and now Gal Gadot's version of the character is a phenomenon. I would argue that getting the very first Wonder Woman movie right was even more important and vital than the first Batman and Superman movie or Justice League. Wonder Woman needed to hit just like Superman '78 and Batman '89 did and they nailed it.

Looking at movie lineup

Aquaman
Shazam !
Wonder Woman 2
The Flash
Suicide Squad 2
Birds of Prey
Batgirl
Batman

Only thing that's missing now.. is solo Superman movie, I would say Phase 2 finishes with Batman movie, In Phase 3 (unofficial) list looks like

New Gods
Black Adam
JLD
GLC
Deathstroke
Nightwing.
Joker Vs Harley Quinn.

Looking at movie lineup

Aquaman
Shazam !
Wonder Woman 2
The Flash
Suicide Squad 2
Birds of Prey
Batgirl
Batman

Only thing that's missing now.. is solo Superman movie

Also GLC, Cyborg solo movie and JL2. :cwink:

I watched Avengers and JL back to back while trying to have a clean slate of mind.

I was hoping JL would stack up with Avengers with this viewing BUT alas Avengers was still better. JL was just too simplified like a TV Movie.

The characters has better individual intros in JL but overall Avengers beats it hands down.

I give Avengers a 10 while JL a 7.

If JL came out before Ironman, it would have been a game changer, but since it's post Ragnarok , JL being a 7 is a let down.

Avengers has 25 more minutes thanks to WB but maybe the Snyder Cut could turn JL from a 7 to a 9.9. or maybe a 10 along with Avengers. But since Avengers came first and was a game changer in everything superhero assembling, I don't think even a great JL movie would be able to beat it.

Avengers has that awesome 40 minute climax which is the main event of the whole movie. JL's excitement peaked with Superman woopin' the JL's ass. The battle with Steppenwolf just wasnt EPIC like the battle of NY was or like the battle with Zod or Doomsday. It didnt feel grandiose and high stakes.

i been rewatching both the final battles for JL and the first Avengers movie (to prep for Infinity War).

And the final battle for JL is just very poor when compared to the Avengers new york battle sequence.

The cgi in the Avengers is not as good as I remember from the first time I see it in the theaters, but it's still alot better than the cgi in JL.
the whole visual look and sequence of actions in JL just isn't as good either.

it's ridiculous! 2012 vs 2017.

if JL came out in 2007, then i'd probably feel differently - it would've been a game changer at that point.
but when Avengers came out in 2012, it set a high bar.
And that's the thing - DC/WB is directly competing against the MCU - they gotta be better than this for their epic team up movie.
maybe they aren't able to be as good as the avengers, but they gotta be at least close enough.

go big or go home.

Ha they have a real big problem now after they set Supes powerlevel milehigh with JL. It basically showed us that there is no need for a JL. They messed that up big time.

Let's just forget that hundreds of DC comicbook writers knew how to write a solid JL story were every member brought something to the table.

Last edited:
Ha they have a real big problem now after they set Supes powerlevel milehigh with JL. It basically showed us that there is no need for a JL. They messed that up big time.

Let's just forget that hundreds of DC comicbook writers knew how to write a solid JL story were every member brought something to the table.

yea i hear part of the problem with WB is they don't bring the comic book writers on board to consult on this stuff.

not sure how true or factual this is though.

Exactly!!!

Agree to both of you.

WB really did a number on this with Avengers having 25 MORE Minutes!!!!

And the Snyder Cut is suppose to be longer than Avengers with 2 hour and 30 minutes run time.

So we are all in agreement that it was the Final Battle and CGI that failed this compared to Avengers. I mean the story and characterization is up there with Avengers BUt that final battle along with dark fake red lighting, and the lack of world public, media, and military presence is what doomed this movie.

The time constraint also rushed Superman's return. The final battle is like a TV movie.

This did to MOS and BVS what The Last Stand did to X1 and X2.

It was building up but then just felt short.

Exactly!!!

Agree to both of you.

And the Snyder Cut is suppose to be longer than Avengers with 2 hour and 30 minutes run time.

So we are all in agreement that it was the Final Battle and CGI that failed this compared to Avengers. I mean the story and characterization is up there with Avengers BUt that final battle along with dark fake red lighting, and the lack of world public, media, and military presence is what doomed this movie.

The time constraint also rushed Superman's return. The final battle is like a TV movie.

yup, the best thing bout JL was the team dynamic for me.
i really want to see this same team again, but in a more epic movie - but better cgi in the final battle. lol

The CGI was crap for Justice League because the reshoots weren't supposed to go the way it did. Once they had Joss on board and Snyder gone I think they kept adding and adding on more to the reshoots that it became a whole different movie. And the budget for the CGI went all into removing Henry's mustache fir reshoots that weren't even needed.

And the thing is there ARE some great CGI shots which show the potential. That shot with the Parademon opening up the Batmobile and staring down Batman, the CGI on the parademon is REALLY good and scary looking. Even some shots of Steppenwolf looks pretty clean but the rest....man.

But honestly, with all its problems, a kickass, awesome, epic climax could've salvaged JL. A climax where Supes makes an epic entrance like a boss with his epic Zimmer music playing, seeing the team actually TEAM UP and tag team against Steppenwolf, all 6 of them, couldve been awesome. Thats what I wanted to see and from the behind the scenes footage of Snyder's cut it looks like we were supposed to get that.

yea the parademon designs in and of itself i thought were good.

they were creepy af.

thats why i thought the tunnel fight sequence was pretty boss and probably the best action sequence in the movie to me.

Eh, no one will remember. I've already forgotten a lot about that movie to be honest.

All they had to be was decent to good and the public woulda ate them up.
It's like being handed the mona Lisa and you scribble all over it with crayons, or the keys to a Lamborghini and you crash it in your driveway.

I like that analogy for JL. I wish it wasn't true - but I like it.

Eh, no one will remember. I've already forgotten a lot about that movie to be honest.

Y'know, in all seriousness there are three or four scenes in JL that stick in my mind. As for the rest, :shrug:

Exactly!!!

Agree to both of you.

Good analogy with the X-Men movies. Watching The Last Stand, you see the good ideas in there somewhere, but there's an overwhelming sense of cheap!

So, Jake Gyllenhaal, who some fans wanted as replacement for Affleck has signed on for a new movie based on a video game, with Deadpool 2 director David Leitch, this rules him out as potential candidate to play Batman.

He said as much in a recent interview where he admitted that he was not going to play Batman.

yea i hear part of the problem with WB is they don't bring the comic book writers on board to consult on this stuff.

not sure how true or factual this is though.

Geoff Johns seems to be a significant part of the DCEU.

The lack a strong final battle and poor cgi is what happens when you completely reshuffle a movie with a couple of months to go.

I'm sure there would have been a number of complaints about the Snyder cut, but a lack of cinematic action wouldn't have been one of them.

Good actors who are in demand arent gonna go do dceu movie now other than WW. The brand atm is tarnished. They are so lucky they got Kidman and she signed only because of Wan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"