Homecoming The Mary-Jane Casting Poll - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they are. Otherwise, Dylan O'Brien (Who is younger than most of the chicks on the poll) would have been cast/still in the running for the role. Why would Marvel cast a 19 year-old as a 15 year-old Peter Parker only to cast a 26-30 year-old who all look significantly older than him as his love interest? Tom was cast specifically WITH his age in mind.

Think about it.
In roughly 5 years time when the romance between him and MJ will be at its height, the age difference is going to be negligible.

I don't doubt they'll likely cast closer to Tom's age, but the sheer notion a early-to-mid 20s girl is at any point "too old" for this role is just preposterous.

In roughly 5 years time when the romance between him and MJ will be at its height, the age difference is going to be negligible.

I don't doubt they'll likely cast closer to Tom's age, but the sheer notion a early-to-mid 20s girl is at any point "too old" for this role is just preposterous.
And come five years, she's going to look like a 30 year-old while Tom looks like a late teens guy, because he's still going to be in High-School. (Two to three films in High-School) So that's not going to work.

The age cap for Peter's casting was 20, the oldest I see them going with MJ is 21 (And even that's being generous).

Last edited:
And come five years, she's going to look like a 30 year-old while Tom looks like a late teens guy, because he's still going to be in High-School. (Two to three films in High-School) So that's not going to work.

The age cap for Peter's casting was 20, the oldest I see them going with MJ is 21 (And even that's being generous).
Time works the same for both genders, man. Point is this hypothetical couple would be 5-6 years apart in their 20s, and I'd challenge anyone to accurately point out such age differences at that age.

In their 20s it's going to take longer for them to look distinctly older, that's just fact. We've had similar gaps with both Tobey/Kirsten and Emma/Andrew. How many people were up in arms? How many noticed?

But in those cases the guy was older, so I guess circumstances are different...

Time works the same for both genders, man. Point is this hypothetical couple would be 5-6 years apart in their 20s, and I'd challenge anyone to accurately point out such age differences at that age.

In their 20s it's going to take longer for them to look distinctly older, that's just fact. We've had similar gaps with both Tobey/Kirsten and Emma/Andrew. How many people were up in arms? How many noticed?

But in those cases the guy was older, so I guess circumstances are different...
All i'm going to say is that Tom is the youngest looking Peter Parker to date, that's the difference between him and Maguire/Garfield, he actually looks like a REAL 15 year-old and that was Marvel's intention as confirmed by Feige, Watts and the Russo brothers. Why wouldn't the same logic and process apply to his main love interest as well? Almost all of the girls on the poll look older than him, and none of them look 15.

I'm telling you right now, dude, MJ is going to be cast around Tom's age range. Bet on it.

You are not going to win the casting an older actress fight on the internet for any role let alone a high school role. If an actress is one year older than her leading man she is considered an old cougar who has been miscast but it's fine for James Bond and the like to have love interests 20 years their junior.

All i'm going to say is that Tom is the youngest looking Peter Parker to date, that's the difference between him and Maguire, he actually looks like a REAL 15 year-old and that was Marvel's intention as confirmed by Feige, Watts and the Russo brothers. Almost all of the girls on the poll look older than him, and none of them look 15.
Tom just barely passes for high school age now, that's going to very quickly change with the sequels. People are fooling themselves otherwise. But as shown with Emma/Andrew, the right makeup, hairstyle, and clothing can do wonders.

If by some obtuse reality MJ is somehow evidently "older", people still aren't going to mind. Peter will sufficiently look like a teen boy, and him being associated with a supermodel in their 20s is hardly an impossible concept to grasp.

I'm telling you right now, dude, MJ is going to be cast around Tom's age range. Bet on it.
Never said otherwise. Not sure how you've managed to interpret 5-6 as 15-16. A 22 year old with a 28 year old is incredibly common, and you'd be hard-pressed to even find anyone who can spot the age gap. This is a non-issue if we're considering sequels. Peter and MJ are undoubtedly going to look the same regardless of the actors' actual age, as already proven with the past two iterations.

You are not going to win the casting an older actress fight on the internet for any role let alone a high school role. If an actress is one year older than her leading man she is considered an old cougar who has been miscast but it's fine for James Bond and the like to have love interests 20 years their junior.

I'm against casting 30+ year olds as teenagers in general but yeah, this is a problem: the double standards Hollywood holds when it comes to men & women, how they're cast, what factors matter and so on. It's ridiculous when you really break it all down.

I'd prefer they get a completely unknown actress around the age of the character but if she's older than Tom, I really don't care. All that matters is that she can act & is capable of embodying MJ's qualities.

Tom just barely passes for high school age now, that's going to very quickly change with the sequels. People are fooling themselves
Disagreed, Tom could easily pass for a 15 year-old High-Schooler. And he's only going to look a little a little older come 2019/2018 (When they film the second solo movie) And that's going to be a good thing because this trilogy is suppose to focus on Peter's growth into a man.

otherwise. But as shown with Emma/Andrew, the right makeup, hairstyle, and clothing can do wonders.
Yea, for the first movie. But Garfield started looking older by the time they got to filming the second film causing them to pull him out of HS and into College, abanding their original plan for TASM trilogy.

If by some obtuse reality MJ is somehow evidently "older", people still aren't going to mind.
That's not my point, though. Marvel and Feige are most likely going to avoid this situation by casting an actress closer to Holland's age and not someone five/six years older than him.
Peter will sufficiently look like a teen boy, and him being associated with a supermodel in their 20s is hardly an impossible concept to grasp.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.

Never said otherwise. Not sure how you've managed to interpret 5-6 as 15-16.
Because that's the age MJ is/will most likely be in this film series. Jon Watts has already semi-confirmed MJ by stating that the movie would be taking heavy inspiration from Ultimate Spider-Man (Comics) And Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, both of which depict a 15-16 year-old teenage MJ and focus on her as the main love interest.

A 22 year old with a 28 year old is incredibly common, and you'd be hard-pressed to even find anyone who can spot the age gap.
Tom is 19 and looks 15, the actress for MJ would be 26 and look like a twenty-something. That real-life logic wouldn't apply to them because that's not their intended age in the film. Plus Tom is 7 years younger than Garfield was when he got cast, so the circumstances are automatically different.

This is a non-issue if we're considering sequels. Peter and MJ are undoubtedly going to look the same regardless of the actors' actual age, as already proven with the past two iterations.
And again, that's because Garfield was already well into his twenties and didn't look anywhere close to a High-school age. TASM2 wasn't set in High-school so that made it it even less apparent that Andrew was older than Emma. And believe it or not, A LOT of fans pointed out the substantial age difference between Andrew and Shailene Woodly (at the time she was cast), so that definitely didn't go unnoticed. Tom isn't going to suddenly look seven years older than he did in SM17 considering his young age, he's only going to be in his very early twenties. the MJ actress on the otherhand will be pushing 30 come time for the the second solo film (which will still be set in High-school) and early thirties come time for third film. It's just not going to work and i'm positive that Marvel will apply the same thought process as they did for Peter to MJ as well, otherwise there was no point in casting a real teen in the first place. If you're going to hire a 26 year-old MJ, why the hell didn't you just cast Dylan O'Brien, Logan Lerman or Freddy Highmore in the role?

That just completely defeats the purpose of casting young.

To keep it small and to the point, a young 15 year old Peter shouldn't be dating a 26 year old MJ/Gwen.
There is a somewhat big gap between age.

The TDLR version of this entire topic is:

With men, round down. And stay there.
With women, round up. And raise exponentially.

Had I known this going in, I would not have bothered to participate.

for me i just really hope they nail mj this ago around. I still want to see them do the whole wild party girl, which is a mask for her bad family life. Then in time become friends with everyone and she gets more open and reveals her past and then becomes less wild and all that. Plus through in she wants to model/act i be happy.

If she were younger, I wouldn't have minded seeing Willa Holland in the role. Of course, people might wonder if she's related to Tom.

But I'd like someone for MJ who is like a young Willa in terms of looks.

none of the above... They are all way too old for the high school setting that this new Spider-Man will be taking place in.

Here's an even a better choice: Anna Sophia Robb. She's got the looks, has some good movie credits, and is in the right age range
annasophia-robb-body-2015-wallpaper-1.jpg

Mary Jane / Gwen & any other future main female character has gotta out hot Aunt May. Otherwise Harry & maybe even Norman or Tony will be saying something like "Peter your Aunt is hotter than Mary Jane etc"

Last edited:
none of the above... They are all way too old for the high school setting that this new Spider-Man will be taking place in.

Here's an even a better choice: Anna Sophia Robb. She's got the looks, has some good movie credits, and is in the right age range
annasophia-robb-body-2015-wallpaper-1.jpg

We've suggested her before, especially before Tom was cast. She's a little older than him though. But she would've been great as MJ.

She's not that much older so I'd say she's still someone who could be in the running for the role. Would be pretty foolish to pass her up simply because she's a few years older than Tom. In fact, she's really the only candidate I 100% agree with at this point in time. None of the others mentioned stack up or are right for the role.

Yeah, I'm seeing the Fifth Wave today (Which is also a SONY film, points for Chloe). She's a great actress and I could easily see her in the role. :up:

Chloe and Tom are in a film together: The Modern Ocean, which also stars Asa Butterfield.

Chloe could work. I prefer AnnaSophia's look far more. She has always had a young look, but she is 22 compared to Tom's 19, although she just turned 22 in December.

AnnaSophia would have been spot on if she was closer to Tom's age.

Chloe, I don't know. She's gorgeous, but she has these friendly, girl-next-door type qualities to her, which makes me think she could embody the character of Mary-Jane with great ease.

Just dye her hair red and there you go

30EB867800000578-3434325-image-a-18_1454711725090.jpg

Funnily enough, she will play Ariel in a live action Little Mermaid, so we will see a red head Chloe in a movie

I like the idea of Chloe, if they are doing the Ultimate comic MJ

She's not dying her hair red for that though

And given some of the shallow insults hurled around here I can't believe she's as popular a choice as she is

I don't think Chloe Moretz is that good at acting anymore. I don't know what happened, but I can't recall a good performance from her since she was 13.

I don't think Chloe Moretz is that good at acting anymore. I don't know what happened, but I can't recall a good performance from her since she was 13.
If you have Netflix, pls watch If I Stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"