The Metallica appreciation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enter Sandman is garbage compared to the songs on the four albums before it, I can barely even listen through "Metallica" anymore.

Yeah, to be honest, it kind of bothers me that the freakin' Black Album is what became Metallica's claim to fame. It should have very well been Master of Puppets, hands down.

The bassline makes me **** my pants... Especially at the beginning when the music really picks up (right after the intro, Rob does a climbing/descending kind of thing), at about 21 seconds in:

Sick. I'm seriously considering learning to play an instrument after grad school.

Yeah, to be honest, it kind of bothers me that the freakin' Black Album is what became Metallica's claim to fame. It should have very well been Master of Puppets, hands down.
That was a great album. Ride The Lightning was another one that should have done it for them along with the Black Album.

I'm going to learn how to play guitar soon.

Learn lead guitar or drums and play in my band!

The drums would be sick, but Idk how people's shins don't cramp up from the bass. Mine kill after a few mins of just dickin around on some drums.

No lead guitar, I don't need that kind of pressure haha :o

The drums would be sick, but Idk how people's shins don't cramp up from the bass. Mine kill after a few mins of just dickin around on some drums.

No lead guitar, I don't need that kind of pressure haha :o

It takes a lot of work. I tap my feet when playing bass, especially when I mock playing bass in my car, and the first few times I did it, I had trouble walking on that foot because my shins were so sore. My brother is effin' FAST with bass pedals though.

But I can keep up with my fingerstyle playing. :hehe:

We're gonna primarily be a Metallica cover band, and from what I've heard you're obviously a Metallica fan (Pickles told me it still weirds her out to hear it so often in your car), so you'll fit right in. :p

Are you supposed to lift your whole foot up or leave your heel on the ground when you press the pedal?

Are you supposed to lift your whole foot up or leave your heel on the ground when you press the pedal?

I think just your toes, leaving your heel on the ground, especially if you're playing double bass. I'm not sure though, as I'm not a drummer. I'm positive there are some drummers around here that can answer this better than I can...

We're gonna primarily be a Metallica cover band, and from what I've heard you're obviously a Metallica fan (Pickles told me it still weirds her out to hear it so often in your car), so you'll fit right in. :p

Yeah man, this March was like my Baptismallica lol. It was Mandatory Metallica on sirius(pretty much a whole month of non-stop Metallica), they got into the Hall of Fame so Fuse and VH1 were all over them, they were on Time-Warp, and this guy at work left me a bunch of Metallica CDs when he left my shift :D

NICE! I wish I had Sirius just for that.

I'm still trying to figure out which songs we wanna get rights for. I most definitely wanna play:

For Whom The Bell Tolls
Master Of Puppets
Orion
Leper Messiah
No Leaf Clover

Also:
Kashmir
Paint It Black

I kind of want to play Four Horsemen, but there's a certain riff I just can't nail...

Anyone played the Metallica game on guitar hero?

l6e368d93aac74b89b5b7b6.jpg

Yeah, that's me :D

Yeah, unfortunately. I think that's only if we want to make money off of it. I did find out that it's only about $12 a song, though. $120 for a ten-song setlist, and we should be good to go for a while.

Well, the Black album is what made them one of the greatest bands in the history of rock. It is the most commercially successful album in heavy metal. It made them mainstream with Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, and namely Nothing Else Matters. Does not mean it is their "best" so to speak. It's just the album that the average music listener will know. My favorite song on the album is My Friend of Misery. Love the intro bass line.

Master of Puppets, among hardcore Metallica fans, is considered their masterpiece. Which it is. However, in 1986 Metallica was not known commercially and were just starting to crack the surface then opening up for Ozzy Osbourne and rocking the crowds harder than he ever could. The average music listener isn't going to really know this. But it's got some of their greatest songs on it. Battery, MOP, Sanitarium, Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah, Orion...this is the archetype for any heavy metal/thrash metal band, in my opinion.

I'm glad this thread got some life injected into it.

Well, the Black album is what made them one of the greatest bands in the history of rock. It is the most commercially successful album in heavy metal. It made them mainstream with Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, and namely Nothing Else Matters. Does not mean it is their "best" so to speak. It's just the album that the average music listener will know. My favorite song on the album is My Friend of Misery. Love the intro bass line.

Master of Puppets, among hardcore Metallica fans, is considered their masterpiece. Which it is. However, in 1986 Metallica was not known commercially and were just starting to crack the surface then opening up for Ozzy Osbourne and rocking the crowds harder than he ever could. The average music listener isn't going to really know this. But it's got some of their greatest songs on it. Battery, MOP, Sanitarium, Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah, Orion...this is the archetype for any heavy metal/thrash metal band, in my opinion.

He knows all that, silly :p

SsM said it. :up:

My Friend of Misery's signature bass riff is actually the first bass riff I ever learned. Easy as ****.

And, the reason I said Master of Puppets should be their claim to fame is because exactly what you said: that album's songs rock concerts harder than any other complete album in the history of metal. There is not a single more proficient and complete album more than Master of Puppets, and it's a shame that Metallica had to step a little out of their own shoes just to get famous. There's not a single weak song on that album, and even the least popular (comparatively, The Thing That Should Not Be) is heaver and will get a crowd going more than any song most metal bands and just about every new rock/metal band will ever put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"