Batman '89 The Michael Keaton Appreciation Thread

Blake knew because orphans clearly share similar emotions at all time.

I really cant wait to see Michael back in the genre as a villain in the Robocop remake it should be badass.

I really cant wait to see Michael back in the genre as a villain in the Robocop remake it should be badass.

He'll make a great villain.

What I liked about his Batman was that slight edge of crazy he managed to create. Not too much, just enough.

Michael is going to be in RoboCop? :huh:

He made a great villain in Desperate Measures, and he has a very explosive side to him, hes great when he releases his fury. The "lets go nuts" scene is just a tiny tease, his fury in One Good Cop and Clean and Sober is what Im talkin about

Pacific Heights is my favorite psycho Michael Keaton performance.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. he was plain creepy in this one. Michaels acting range is amazing

Its just good to see him back on the bigscreen in a serious role in a big budget film.

I still dont understand why theyre remaking great movies. They should remake movies that sucked

Didn't you get the memo? Hollywood's been out of ideas for quite a while now.

Didn't you get the memo? Hollywood's been out of ideas for quite a while now.

scaled.php

I dont mind remakes or reboots if they're done right and with respect to the source material I dont even have to bring up Nolans bat trilogy. The film industry has been remaking films since the beginning I dont even know how many versions of Dracula we've seen from Bela Lugosi to Christopher Lee in the 70's then Gary Oldman in the 90's.

Its a normal thing these days and I get sick of hearing fans complain about it. Unlike Spiderman or even Batman Its been over 25 years since the original Robocop which is a classic, with todays technology it could be amazing, or terrible I guess well see.

watched all 4 of the Burton/Schumacher films over the holidays again.

and it still needs to be said - Keaton was a great Batman! one aspect I love is how truly,deeply his Bruce is getting lost and replaced by Batman. he gives me the feeling of someone who made a decision and is now trapped by that decision,even if others (Alfred,Vickie) want to pull him out. this is so evident to me at the end of Returns,when he has his moments with Selina. first,at the ball,when they discover who they are,and she asks "Does this mean we have to start fighting?" Bruce has no answer! he doesn't know himself what to do,cause the Bruce part wants to hold her,tell her he loves her and it'll all be okay, but you can see the pained yet resolute look on his face as "Batman" also emerges and knows she's a criminal and needs to be taken down.

same thing with the scene in Arctic World. he's conflicted. he wants to take her home with him,keep her safe. but he also won't let her kill Max,even if he has to stand in her way.

Having re watched Keaton's films I feel confident saying that the Nolan villains are superior but his Batman and Alfred are miles behind Keaton and Grough. Batman seems much more real to me in those movies, as I expect him to act in real life. The brooding, being so openly dismissive to having a normal life when Alfred suggests it, his cool confidence as Batman, his uneasiness being social as Bruce Wayne. Just lots of subtleties you don't get with Bale and Caine.

Although the Joker never became Keaton's psychological rival, like Ledger did. So to me Ledger is pretty definitive in his Joker portrayal.

I think the other thing that paints Ledger more favorably is that even though he ironically didn't wear make up Jack spent too much screen time playing Jack and not enough time in the Joker character. Ledger briefly appeared doing so in one blink-and-you-miss-it scene.

Last edited:
In hindsight he kind of seems gay for Bruce.

When he was watching Batman kick ash at the end, Blake's face looked like a kid in a candy shop. So in other words, he seemed very Robin-esque to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"