The NEW Official Thor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the first 2 tpbs of JMS and I was pretty much able to keep up without the FF issues. Decided not to get the omnibus now. Maybe if it had Gillen's first arc in it, because that was the actual end to the story.

Astonishing Thor #2 Preview

30xfn85.jpg

Nice, need to go get My pull sometime today.

How do we get Fraction off Thor without getting it cancelled? I can't handle his writing much longer. Did he even read what JMS started and Gillen followed up with? I think he seems to think he's still writing old mythic Thor. This is getting painful. His characterizations of Thor and company are so off base from what they were in this series. It is pathetic.

I want to know where he's getting the characters' voices from. His Thor dialogue is worse than Bendis' Thor dialogue, and everyone is just f***ing angry for no apparent reason.

Does Thor often call Mjolnir a mallet?
Actually, yes. Not as much in recent years, but back in the '60s and '70s, he used "mallet" and "hammer" interchangeably.

Also with the way Mjolnir is designed in the comics it is a mallet so I suppose Hitch's design from the ultimates is more like a hammer. On a side note apparently the reason Thor has a hammer is due the the importance of blacksmiths in viking times - the hammer enabled metalwork producing many useful tools, so became part of the aesir myth.

I always think of mallets as more rounded, personally. More like Beta Ray Bill or Tarene's hammers. But that's probably just my own skewed perception.

Interesting fact about the significance of the hammer within viking culture. Did not know that. :up:

Also with the way Mjolnir is designed in the comics it is a mallet so I suppose Hitch's design from the ultimates is more like a hammer. On a side note apparently the reason Thor has a hammer is due the the importance of blacksmiths in viking times - the hammer enabled metalwork producing many useful tools, so became part of the aesir myth.

I have always viewed Mjolnir more of a Sledge hammer than a war hammer or a mallet.

I've always called it a Hammer. Can you imagine what a What-If of myth would be like if Loki hadn't interfered in the making of Mjolnir would be like?
Imagine if Mjolnir was complete? How much more powerful would it be had Loki not interfered?

Probably no more powerful, really, since Odin's the one who gave it all its power. It'd just have a longer handle, like in the Heroes Reborn universe.

Marvel will probably relaunch Captain America in time for the damn movie :cmad:

One last question on this thread: "Thor" is not the only Marvel Studios movie hitting this summer. Is there a chance that come July, we'll be seeing "Captain America" get "Fractioned"?
Brevoort: I would say that there is a better than average chance that when there's a Cap movie in theaters, we'll want to do something in publishing to give people exactly the same kind of entry point they had with "Invincible Iron Man" and now with "Mighty Thor." The Vegas oddsmakers would give you very good numbers on that.
God dammit :cmad:

I wouldn't mind a relaunch so long as Fraction stays away. Relaunch it with Brubaker still writing but Steve back in the costume. Simple.

So relaunches are the new marketing strategy...eh whatever. So i guess when the Avengers movie comes next summer they're going to relaunch Bendis' Avengers book yet again?

Maybe they'll recombine Avengers and New Avengers into one series and call it Avengers #600. And maybe, if we all wish hard enough, Bendis will finally hang up his pencil and deem his time on the Avengers franchise finished. :awesome:

I would LOVE that. Call me crazy but i think Dan Slott could work wonders with Bendis' Avengers team.

I think virtually anyone other than Bendis could do pretty well with Bendis' Avengers team.

So....you wouldnt be opposed to a Jeph Loeb penned Avengers then? lol

Well, Bendis already put Rulk on the Avengers, so how much worse could it really get? :oldrazz:

I would LOVE that. Call me crazy but i think Dan Slott could work wonders with Bendis' Avengers team.
Depends IMO. I think that Bendis would be better on New Avengers than Slott. It needs a little more tweaking like making the team a bit more street level (no Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel), but I think that Bendis would really excel with a real street level team that has heroes like Daredevil, Luke Cage, Moon Knight, Spider-Man, the Thing, etc.

But I think that Slott would be better than Bendis on Avengers. First of all, I think Slott would get rid of the atrocity that is Wolverine on the Avengers. And second, I think that he would include the much needed Hank Pym and Hulk on the team. And third, he really would do wonders with Hawkeye on the Avengers :woot:

I think Slott would be better on the Avengers and the New Avengers should not exist, personally. The Avengers are not about street-level shenanigans. That's why God created the Heroes for Hire and the New Warriors and all those other second-tier teams. :o

Also, the Hulk is not and never has been "needed" on the Avengers. I'm kind of annoyed that they're shoehorning him into everything like he's a legitimate part of Avengers lore beyond just "that *****e who quit after one issue" thanks to the movie.

I agree, I think a street team consisting of Spidey, DD, Luke, Ironfist, Moon knight, elektra, thing, ghost rider etc etc would be AWESOME but dont call them the "Avengers".

Call them "the Street-Level Dudes Who Never Had Any Business Being Avengers."

I think Slott would be better on the Avengers and the New Avengers should not exist, personally. The Avengers are not about street-level shenanigans. That's why God created the Heroes for Hire and the New Warriors and all those other second-tier teams. :o

Also, the Hulk is not and never has been "needed" on the Avengers. I'm kind of annoyed that they're shoehorning him into everything like he's a legitimate part of Avengers lore beyond just "that *****e who quit after one issue" thanks to the movie.

With the Hulk being in a controllable and very intelligent state, he's perfect to rejoin the Avengers. I'd understand and agree, if it were a childish brute Hulk, but current Hulk should definitely be on the team. Same with Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"