The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, and it's that cohesiveness between the two that has me hoping Wright kinda let go of "his" Ant-Man movie in favor of something that would blend better into the current MCU. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "To Steal an Ant-Man" I just think it would be better served down the road. That and I love Pym as Ant-Man, and Jan for that matter. They have to come first!
Marvel isn't afraid of muscling people around in terms of creative decisions (see: Patty Jenkins, Ed Norton, re-casting decisions, pretty much all of their directors...), so whatever they have agreed to with Edgar Wright is most likely on their terms. I trust that Marvel knows just as well as we do that it is very important to introduce the Pyms as main players in the MCU.

In Wright's defense, I understand *why* he chose Lang initially --- the story of a loving dad who becomes a thief and steals a superhero costume (and its powers) to try to get money to pay for the medicine that will save his terminally ill daughter's life is undoubtedly drama that sells itself.

That sounds an awful lot like Sandman's story in SPIDER-MAN 3...

So what "new corner of the MCU" do you think the Phase 3 films like Ant-Man and Dr. Strange will take up? For Strange I can see the Mystical angle but I'm not sure how that relates to Ant-Man.

Hate to hear that Ant-Man will be moving to Phase III, as that probably lowers the possibility of an early appearance of Pym, Lang or Van Dyne in Avengers 2. Also lowers the chances of Ultron or Vision showing up until Phase III.

Anyway, with just Ant-Man and Strange as the only Phase III films we've officially been introduced to, it *sounds* like the theme will be expanding the roster. I'd say there's a good chance that Black Panther would join the Phase III films as well; so, again, Phase III might be about bringing in the "next class" of Avengers.

Yeah, I had hoped that Ant-Man would be the end of Phase 2 leading into the Avengers 2. With Ant-Man now not coming out until 2016 possibly, that means even more chance for Wright to drag his feet. Is he going to start work on the movie or is he going to make another movie in the meantime?

Also, when it says an "origin movie", do they mean for Pym, or for Lang, as Wright has always wanted?

I hope there will be other characters in Phase 3, including Black Panther. I expect though that some of the other Phase 3 movies will be Cap 3, Thor 3, possibly Iron Man 4 or Guardians 2.

Idk if IGN editor got distracted by snow that he sees out the window or ign claims Ant-Man was slated for November 7th 2014 release and doctor strange was slated for sometime in 2015. Not to get any hopes but that was kinda weird they said without any news of this movie coming earlier I thought they have released news article saying ant 2015

IGN Article - Doctor Strange is Part of Marvel's Phase 3 Movie Slate
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/01/26/doctor-strange-is-part-of-marvels-phase-3-movie-slate

With Ant-Man now not coming out until 2016 possibly, that means even more chance for Wright to drag his feet.

:huh: Ant Man has been set for Nov 2015 for months now, nothing in that interview has contradicted that.

Idk if IGN editor got distracted by snow that he sees out the window or ign claims Ant-Man was slated for November 7th 2014 release and doctor strange was slated for sometime in 2015. Not to get any hopes but that was kinda weird they said without any news of this movie coming earlier I thought they have released news article saying ant 2015

IGN Article - Doctor Strange is Part of Marvel's Phase 3 Movie Slate
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/01/26/doctor-strange-is-part-of-marvels-phase-3-movie-slate

That's a mistake on IGN's part.

I don't know why though Hank Pym's character couldn't be introduced earlier. If it were an origin movie, can't that just be the origin as far as how he becomes Ant-Man, and not necessarily when we first see him?

What would be cool for a change is telling a hero's origin over several movies (ie dropping hints in other character's movies) so that when it gets to said hero's own movie, it doesn't feel like it's completely from scratch but that the pieces of the puzzle have already been laid in place.

I don't know why though Hank Pym's character couldn't be introduced earlier. If it were an origin movie, can't that just be the origin as far as how he becomes Ant-Man, and not necessarily when we first see him?

What would be cool for a change is telling a hero's origin over several movies (ie dropping hints in other character's movies) so that when it gets to said hero's own movie, it doesn't feel like it's completely from scratch but that the pieces of the puzzle have already been laid in place.
1. No one said Hank would be Ant-Man
2. Who said the characters can't cameo in other phase 2 films?

We just don't know much yet with phase 2 not having even started yet. Too soon to jump to conclusions on whether/when Hank, Janet, or or anyone will appear or not.

It's absolutely shocking to see Marvel treat Pym & Janet in such a casual manner. To not have these classic, original Avengers in TA2 or even TA3(!!!) is just insane, bewildering, bordering on unreal. The mind boggles. :huh:

It's absolutely shocking to see Marvel treat Pym & Janet in such a casual manner. To not have these classic, original Avengers in TA2 or even TA3(!!!) is just insane, bewildering, bordering on unreal. The mind boggles. :huh:

Ant Man will be the first film of Phase 3, meaning he's obviously going to in A3... I don't know where you got the idea he won't be.:huh:

They may still show up in A2 in some capacity, we don't know.

Have you perhaps been reading alternate universe Avengers comics? Of *course* Hank and Jan aren't treated as very important. They are:

1. Second rate in popularity, by a fairly long shot

2. A mess, conceptually and in terms of backstory

3. Have the weirdest, hardest to bring to screen and take seriously powers of the major Avengers

It'd be shocking if they gave them much more push than they did.

my hypothesis, or "hope-othesis"

Pyms introduced in Phase 2 (in roles roughly as large as Black Widow in IM2)
Ultron still the villain in Avengers 2 Hank is an important role in his creation/defeat.
Pyms origin story in Ant-Man as sort of a prequel. In the same way as CA:TFA was a prequel to the rest of phase 1

Marvel isn't afraid of muscling people around in terms of creative decisions (see: Patty Jenkins, Ed Norton, re-casting decisions, pretty much all of their directors...), so whatever they have agreed to with Edgar Wright is most likely on their terms. I trust that Marvel knows just as well as we do that it is very important to introduce the Pyms as main players in the MCU.

Thing is though, if Marvel was adamant that Pym needs to be Ant-Man in his solo film, would Wright stick around since he seems to want to use Lang so much.

I think the most likely scenario would be Marvel persuading him to change his original plan of Pym's tenure being set in the 60's to the recent past.

If Edgar really wants to use Scott Lang and have him take over Ant-Man from Hank Pym then Marvel could introduce Pym in any of the phase 2 films. They could have him in Avengers 2 and then quit being a superhero at the end of that movie that way Lang could take over in Ant-Man.

If Edgar really wants to use Scott Lang and have him take over Ant-Man from Hank Pym then Marvel could introduce Pym in any of the phase 2 films. They could have him in Avengers 2 and then quit being a superhero at the end of that movie that way Lang could take over in Ant-Man.

Well that way it could be the really recent past that Pym was Ant-Man, like only a few months earlier before the events of Ant-Man. But then Pym ought to be Ant-Man in Avengers 2, and Wright can introduce Lang in the Ant-Man movie in November 2015.

Very excited about this film. Not hugely caught up with Ant-Man as a character but I love the concept and I love Edgar Wright. I also dig that it seems the movie is gonna be more of it's own thing, while still being set in the MCU.

What I mean is that we don't know whether we'll have Pym and Janet in TA3. It will be "Ant-Man", yes, but which one? Lang? And if Lang, then there won't be Janet.

Bringing Pym and Janet into the fold is more about bringing in a different kind of psychological dynamic (a veritable superhero couple) to the team than simply filling up the numbers with awkwardly-powered obscure characters. Thus I find it ironic that people are nonchalantly OK with having Falcon come into the fold when he is even more of an obscure character and his powers really are a test for the concept of a "grounded" MCU universe (not talking about his flying which I'm assuming to be purely tech-based on the silver screen):

Empathic link with pet falcon
Ability to see through the eyes of nearby birds

These kind of abilities have to be transformed into technological abilities because in the current MCU setup they are not plausible. You just cannot introduce paranormal powers at a whimsy. Ant-Man & Wasp have no such problems, being science experiments equipped with gadgets. I don't think my grievances are over the top re: the continued absence of Pym & Janet from the Avengers fold. I know (or rather hope :csad:) they'll be there at some point, but I just find it curious that the interpretation of the comics canon into the MCU seems to be inconsistent in some regards.

But perhaps most importantly, Whedon Himself would like Janet / The Wasp to be in the MCU Avengers. That's hopefully worth something? Wright, Marvel - get your act together. I want to see Hank and Janet have banter, fight together, etc. on the silver screen before long. :yay: It shouldn't be too much to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"