The Official Backissue Thought Thread: Marvel Edition

Kevin

Doug not so Funny
Reaction score
Basically, It's the "Bought/Thought" thread, but for the older Marvel comics. When I do reviews, I'll try my best to have the cover images so you'll know what you're looking for just incase you want to pick up the issues yourself.

SIDE NOTE: I heard this may have been done before. If so, sorry.
SIDE NOTE 2: I finally spelled Official right! :woot: ... I think.:huh:
SIDE NOTE 3: I liked Elijya's Index idea so much that I thought I'd try it. I hope that's alright.

Index
Page 1
-Black Panther #8 & #9*
-Avengers: Forever #1 (of 12)
-Daredevil #66-#70
-The Abominations #1-#3
-Alien Legion (Vol. 1) #1 & #2
-Blaze #5 & #6
-Mutant X
-X-Factor #87
-Power Pack #28

*TO GET A BETTER GRASP ON THIS Black Panther STORY, I'D ADVISE YOU TO ALSO READ X-MEN #175 & #176.

Not long ago I picked up the Wild Kingdom Black Panther arc and I f-ckin dig it!!!!!

X-men175.gif
BLACKPANTHER20058.gif

X-men176.gif
BLACKPANTHER20059.jpg

Basically It's the Red Ghost assaulting a African compound that's really a science lab for a mad scientist type, the Ghost's Apes sorta get top billing. The Lab has been affecting the animals in the area mutating them and BP goes to find out the deal, he run into the X-men who think it's a new form of mutation in animals instead of humans so that's why they are there(Really it's just an excuse to get Storm and T'challa together)

One of the lab animals a mad and funny as hell mutant Baboon wants Red Ghost's Super Apes aid him in destorying humanity, but they think he's looney tunes (which he is.) it's a all around good story.

Avengers: Forever 1 (of 12) December 1998
Written by: Kurt Busiek Drawn by: Carlos Pacheco
AVENGERSFOREVER19981.gif

NOW, THIS IS MY FISRT EVER "THOUGHT" REVIEW, SO BARE WITH ME PLEASE.

It started with a Prologue which, By the way, almost made me all asleep. You just knew it was et in the future just by the settings in the art. (If you didn't know, I'm not really into stories that involve the future. Also, space stories may or may not bore me.) Anyway, The Prologe ends, and so starts the story.

The current Avengers (Captain America, Scarlet Witch, Iron Man, Giant-man, Justice, and Starfire) arrive on the Blue area of the moon with the Ill striken Rick Jones to seek the help of the captured Supreme Intelligence.(If I'm correct, The Supreme Intelligence had some part in the Kree/Skrull war) Now, They would've never came to "it" But they had little choice. After some back and forth talk, The Avengers decide to leave Rick in The Supreme Intelligence's care.

At this point, I'm completely lost on what's going on. The Supreme Intelligence has been secretly having company, some Robed Person. They talk and the Robed Person leaves. (Since I'm lost on this part, maybe a Fellow Posters could fill in the blanks I didn't get.:huh:)

Now we shift to Limbo where Immortus resides. He has to do something he doesn't want to, (I think) sending his servant Tempus to The Blue area of the moon to do it... to Kill Rick Jones! (Dun Dun Dun!) Tempus is about to do it when, suprisingly out of nowhere, Kang, the Conqueror stops him (This is mostly because Kang hates Immortus. Even weirder, Immortus is Kang's future self :confused:) Kang blasts Tempus and then goes after Immortus. They have this big battle while Rick Jones awakens. As he does, The Supreme Intelligence goes on about this and that, and basically, the Robed Person returns and does something to Rick that makes him explode (with power) from within. The last page shows Some Avengers Going "What" (Giant-Man. Wasp is there too) "Where" (If I'm right, that's Yellow Jacket. Captain Marvel and I think Hawkeye in here too) "How" (some Chick, I don't know.) And "What in?" (Captain America)

I really liked this Issue, except for the Prologue which bored me. If this was my first ever comic, I would be so confused that I'd probably be crying, but that's just me as this story's wrter (Kurt Busiek) tells us things that if it were your first time reading, you'd understand who's who and what's going on a bit. Kang, the Conqueror is now my new Favorite villian. (I didn't like the Kang from Young Avengers all that much) I give this Issue a 3 (out of 5) and would recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Now, can someone tell me what was going on with Captain America's shield? You could see through it.

That is all.

Daredevil #66-70 (Golden Age)

Bought this to round out my Bendis/Maleev DD run.Loved how some of it was set during the "mystery men" era of the 40s and 50s.

It's basically a story about what paved the way for Wilson Fisk as Kingpin and how Matt played a part in it.Totally up to par with the entire run and goddamn do I miss Maleev monthly.

I Understand that this thread will take a while to become a hit, so I'll just keep trying until that happens.

Anyway, I have way too many comics to choose from, so I'll give you the choice.

Power Pack #28
Blaze #4 & #5
Cyberspace 3000 #3

Any other suggestions?

Also, it's a good chance I won't hsve some things. Luckily, I'm sure someone else may.

I'll try to help you out with this thread, too. It's a cool idea. I have many back issues I've never read, or haven't read in quite a while, like with Cyberspace 3000. It would be nice to give people ideas on some inexpensive back issues they can purchase that they might not have heard of before. (For example, I'm sure Cyberspace 3000 is a dollar an issue Near Mint at both milehighcomics.com and mycomicspace.com. With Mile High's current 30% additional markdown, someone can pick up cheap issues for 70 cents a piece.) Look for a review later tonight or tomorrow. I'll open a back issue box and read an old comic.

Thank you so much, Phaedrus45. Also, thank you deemar and GNR4. you guys have always been kool in my book.

Laterz.

The Abominations #1-3:

This three issue miniseries will always have the distinction to be the first set of comics in my Marvel boxes. It's about what happened after the events from the Hulk storyline, Future Imperfect, and tells the story of how The Abomination comes to power and a rag-tag group of rebels flee to the 90's in a time machine made by Reed Richards.

What's always amazing about these books based in the future is how all the events that transpire all still revolve around the same players currently in Hulk comics. You have the She-Hulk (called The Shulk), Rick Jones granddaughter, The Abomination, and The Maestro's sex-slaves (called Betty's). Plus, when the "rag-tag group of rebels" flee in the time machine, they get involved right away with the current version of The Abomination and his underground community. (This was also an ongoing storyline within Peter David's Hulk series at the time. Abomination had gone underground and was starting to be portrayed as a sort of anti-hero, helping out the homeless who had been spurned by those above ground.) Basically, these stories have way too many coincidences, and it quickly looses even "comic credibility."

Another thing annoying about these comics set in the future is how everyone is just called by one word names, like "Po" and "Sleek." Simple names, like Mark, John and Bob, obviously never get used again. Plus, to make it clear that these people are from the future, they give them a curse word that means nothing in today's time, like the constant use of "flark" taking the place of our "F-word."

Finally, I don't know if much more came from these characters who ran away to modern day America. They called themselves The Abominations; and they are supposedly living in our time, with The Betty possibly giving birth to The Maestro's bastard child. One storyline supposedly continues in pages of The Hulk..but, I'm not sure if The Abominations were ever heard from again. I would venture after very poor sales of this book, they are also a forgotten bastard child, of which Marvel made many in the 90's.

The only reason I give this book a higher ranking than it deserves is due to the fact it brings back memory of the Future Imperfect storyline and does make the reader a bit interested in what became of this bland supergroup from the future.

My review = 4/10

BTW, you can get all three books for about 70 cents each at milehighcomics.com with the discount password. Normally, I would recommend mycomicshop.com, as they have cheaper prices; but, with the passcode, Milehigh is cheaper with their dollar comics. All you have to do for the passcodes is sign up for the mailing list with either website to get each companies specials.

Here is a picture of issue #1:

00890391074.1.GIF

Now that was awesome, Phaedrus45. And thnx Sparta*.

COMICBOY said:
Avengers: Forever 1 (of 12) December 1998
Written by: Kurt Busiek Drawn by: Carlos Pacheco
058812165302.gif

NOW, THIS IS MY FISRT EVER "THOUGHT" REVIEW, SO BARE WITH ME PLEASE.

[bear] :yay:

Now, can someone tell me what was going on with Captain America's shield? You could see through it.

That is all.

There was a time when Cap was using some kind of energy shield---I wasn't reading his book so I don't know what was supposed to have happened to the original. I don't think the energy shield lasted very long, though.

Thank you for the Cap explaination

...and for my bad spelling.:O

I think ive bought every back issue of Avengers Red Zone in the Miami area.

Alien Legion (Vol. 1):

02393046726.1.GIF

The latest series I've been collecting, and I only have the hard-to-find Graphic Novel, A Grey Day To Die, to go. I got the entire first volume in the mail last week, as I won it on ebay for $5.00. (Sadly, the shipping cost me more than the winning bid.) I wasn't sure if this title would be any good; but, Marvel did make two volumes and seven additional graphic novels or miniseries of it, for a total of 50 issues in the Alien Legion franchise. Volume 1 came out in 1984, with the last miniseries coming out in 1993. It ran under the Epic line of Marvel Comics.

Issue #1 introduces the reader to the Alien Legion, and begins with an introduction that exclaims the "Alien Legion ranks are composed of bioforms from countless far-flung Union worlds. Some have joined to serve their government or flee oppression, others seek adventure and fortune, still others are criminals in hiding, wandering poets seeking inspiration, or frontier preachers in search of new souls. Their foes are many, yet despite an ideal of camaraderie and integration a trooper's worst enemy is often a fellow Legionnaire. Racial and cultural tensions lurk always under the surface. Indeed, it takes leaders of extraordinary character and will to mold a motley group of sentient lifeforms into a crack unit of proud fighting troops."

That introduction pretty much sums up what to expect in the first issue. This diverse group of soldiers are sent out by their government to an alien world to stop pirates from stealing the mineral deposits of a strange planet. The purpose is to allow undeveloped inhabitants of that world, the Rathosaurs, to evolve on their own without interference from off-worlders. (Basically, it's like Star Trek's "Prime Directive.") There are many factors that cause hardships for the Alien Legion, including the mixing of diverse races, the lack of proper weapons due to the political leaders not wanting to disrupt a planets ecosystem, and having raw, untrained recruits.

This first issue is 48 pages without any ads. At the beginning of the book are biographies of six members of the Alien Legion. It's best to read the story, then come back and better get to know the characters. If you read them first, you'll more appreciate the information given.

Issue #2 picks up right where issue #1 left off. Again, the book contains no ads, and after being a bit confused by who certain characters were in the first issue, the reader will find all confusion gone. By the second issue, you feel like you understand all the complexities of politics, race, and internal conflict within the Alien Legion and can just enjoy the story being told. This story let's the reader know more about the Harkilon Imperium's plan to disrupt the Galarchy's plans in regards to ore deposits, and it also focuses on how your fellow Legionnaires are just as dangerous as the enemy you are fighting. Plus, you get a second story that ties into the first, giving a background story on one of the main character in order to have the reader better understand him.

With these two issues, I'm pretty happy I made the decision to get these books off ebay. I'm already interested in the characters, feel a real interest in the story, and it's nice to get away from superhero comics and get to read a story with space exploration. Plus, you don't have to feel like your missing anything, as it's not part of some larger comic universe.

My Review = 8/10

Blaze 5 December 1994 & Blaze 6 January 1995
Written by: Larry Hama Drawn by: Henry Martinez
blaze5.gif
blaze6.gif

All I can really start this off with is that these are, Personally speaking, the worst two Issues of a comicbook that I've ever read. The art Is fine. It's really the story. The only real good thing I can say about this book is that issue 5 Guest starred the current Uncanny X-men Member Warpath.

So, Blaze stars the former Ghost Rider Johnny Blaze, and his Carnival of freaks.The point of these issues is that Johnny Blaze is on a mission to save his kidnapped children, Craig and Emma Blaze (I'll get into them soon, as well) who were kidnapped by, I'm guessing a demon, Baal.
Issue 5 was going back and forth and out there too much for me to really focus on it. First, There's Johnny and Warpath fighting Darryl Licht, a recently transformed something, until they're beaten, captured and taken into something call a Mesa. Second, the Carnival of freaks have their own subplot. this chick Clara has these eyes that ... does alot of stuff... I don't even feel like going into her much. Third, Craig and Emma are being held in Another reality altogether, where they meet another kidnapped Kid, Jesse Pinto.(I don't trust this kid)

Skipping ahead, Johnny and Warpath get free (Warpath first and he fights Licht) I might as well add that earlier in the issue, Johnny's Hellfire Gun didn't work against Licht. Moving along, Johnny, once freed, Aquires a nailfile (A Wendigo gave it to him, I'll get into this more) and attaches it to his Gun to defeat Licht, reverting back to his human form.
What we gather in all now is that Warpath was after Licht, looking for Jesse, whose family was kiiled by Licht, then kidnapped and traded to Baal, and then ended up with Craig and Emma. Whew, oh, the Wendigo got the nailfile from Jesse, and Jesse got it out of Icebox Bob's head:-)confused:) who Johnny had killed earlier. :-)rolleyes: )

Issue 6. I'll try to make this short. We find out more about Baal. He wants Craig and Emma to Lore Johnny, so he can escape from the reality he's in. This issue was easier to read, but the worst of the two because of the end. I Won't go anymore into because just thinking about this makes me mad.

I put myself in Johnny's shoes. He's a single father (his wife was killed) who's cursed, and wants nothing more than his family to be safe. His kids get kidnapped, so he goes on a mission to save them. He risks his life here and there and when his children finally have a chance to be saved--

(I'm not kidding, The Kids escaped from the reality and finally get to the point when them and Johnny were in the same place. Johhny fights Baal, {who also escaped when the kids hitched ride on Wendigo) Wendigo starts to fight Baal, Jesse stabs Baal with the Nailfile that somehow defeats "demons", and As Baal escapes back to the other reality, he swats Johnny aside. The kids run up to Johnny to see if he's alright, luckily he is. Then that Jesse kid makes some stupid speece about how they have to go back after Baal and kill him themselves because they can never rest otherwise. In the end Craig and Emma decide to go back with him:eek:)

--Yeah, they blew it. My problem with this story is that the kids could've waited until Their father woke up. There could've been another way. They had no right to go off again, as this will only lead Johnny to continue his restless search for them. I know it's wrong, But I honestly hope these kids are currently dead.

If this were my first comic, I would never want to deal with the character of Johnny Blaze again, or at least stay away from the works of Larry Hama. I would NEVER recommend this book to anyone unless they're a hardcore Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider fan. I give this as a whole a 2 (out of 5) and that's only because I'm being nice.

Man, those comics are bad. If you guys are looking for some good backissues look up the series called "Chase" from DC.

I have Alien Legion 12, don't know when and if i'll read it though. :huh:

What is Avenger Red Zone?

And I'm mostly going through The backissues I refused to read until I had nothing left in life to do. I really had High Hopes for Blaze:csad:

When Are you gonna Thought yourself in Darthy-R?

Oh, And how am I doing so far?

COMICBOY said:
What is Avenger Red Zone?
a story arc from when Geoff Johns was on the book, right before Bendis

I think

COMICBOY said:
Oh, And how am I doing so far?
well on your way to destruction from mediochre mid 90s comic overdose

mutantx25ft8.jpg

Mutant X is a revisved version of the Marvel universe, in which X-Factors Havok is the central protagonist. When the Havok in the Mutant X world dies, at the same time as the Havok of the 616, Havok is seemingly transported between planes. Now he finds himsellf leading "The Six" featuring much darker versions of his own friends Storm(Blood Storm), Angel(Archangel) Iceman, and Beast(The Brute) and married to the Madelyne Pryor(Marvel Woman). Now Havok must fight against men he considered hero's in one universe, and unite with the worst of the worst in another.

Mutant X
Fear Him
Fear For Him

I'm a big Quantum Leap/Sliders alternate dimension kind of guy, so this series immediatly jumped out at me. Havok has never really had a chance to shine, and here he gets the entire spotlight. I loved the dynamic between Havok and "The Six" and more importantly the characterization between Alex and Scotty, the son of this earths Havok who is the only one who knows that Alex ain't the real deal. It's interesting to see the heroic sides of Dr Doom, and Apacolypse, and funny enough evil Mr Fantastic acts just like the one in 616. Anyway theres a couple of flaws in the story itself, mainly the art. Apparantly the artists rotated on this book, so one month its, nice and realistic, and the next its blocky and inconsistent. It gets extremely fustrating as some issues the artists both work on the exact same book. As well the book loses its main edge after the major plot point/twist ends in the series(Kind of like Thunderbolts 1-12), and while its still an exciting and intresting read, the addition of Gambit and the worst Captain America I have ever seen, dillute the story even more so. Last gripe? Not enough Lorna. Yes, she does appear for a couple of cameo's however the two of them are not allowed the interact whatsoever. Which is a problem, because the two of 'em are tied together character wise. I suppose this was done, because it would make them reunting more important(AUSTEN!!!!!!!) however his other relationships throughout the book just don't seem the same, as the one with ol' greenie. All my small gripes aside, it was an enjoyable read for the most part. Much, much better however, at the begining of the series than at the end.

Mutant X, great series :up:

That's one book that needs to be added to the Classics line

X-Factor (Vol. 1) 87 Febuary 1993
Written by: Peter David Drawn by: Joe Quesada
X-Factor.gif

I trust PAD (Peter David) as a writer, most of the time, so when I read issue 87, and compared it to the current X-Factor series' issue 14, I know there's a drastic difference. This also applies to the art.

in this issue we have The former cast of Havok, Polaris, and Val Cooper, and Also in this mix are the current cast members, Rahne, Guido, Quicksilver, and the everyman, Jamie Madrox. All of them set to sit on a Psychistrist's couch (Doctor Samson)and talk about their problems... Yes, this whole issue is them, one by one, sitting on a couch talking... but nowhere is that a bad, or boring thing.

I read issue 14 of the current series first and, being that I'm more into current comics than backissues, found that issue to be well done. Going into 14, I didn't care all too much about what Siryn or Monet had to say. (Siryn because she wouldn't except Banshee's (her father) death. Monet because she's a cold hard chick {I really wanna--no, NEED to see that fight she had with Emma Frost}) I went into issue 87 not really caring about what Havok or Polaris had to say. (I don't like them because they're the other "Jean and Scott." :whatever: ) My point is that I read 87 AFTER 14, and I was still suprised about What I found out about Rahne, Guido, Quicksilver, and mostly Jamie Madrox. Heck, Even Havok made me feel for him (Not that much, though).

To break down what was discussed:

Rahne's
dependancy of men.
Havok's "Little Brother" thing (Scott Summers of the Astonishing X-men is his older brother.)
Guido's funnyman shtick.
Val's Cluelessness.
Quicksilver's "The reason I'm a prick."
Jamie's "I can be my own best friend, but in the end it's still just me" thing.
Polaris' body issues (And I don't care what anyone say, Polaris is crazy. She has always been crazy.)

All in all, If this were my first comic, it'd be a GREAT starting point because you learn about the characters you're dealing with off the bat. I would recommend this book to anyone and their mother, as well as the current X-Factor series (IMHO, it is PAD's best current Marvel Comics work.) I give this issue a 4 (out of 5). It would've gotten a higher rating, but Joey Q's (Marvel's current EIC) art was very strange to me. Not bad in any sense, but strange.

SIDE NOTE: I WOULD LIKE TO THANK DARTHPHERE. IF IT WEREN'T FOR HIM, I WOULD'VE NEVER READ THIS ISSUE.

SIDE NOTE 2: SORRY FOR THIS LACKLUSTER "THOUGHT." I KNOW IT COULD'VE BEEN BETTER.

Power Pack #28 Febuary 1987
Written by: Louise Simonson Drawn by: Terry Shoemaker
PowerPack28-1.gif

I love comics, I love Marvel, and I love the 80's (I love the show as well) So when I read Power Pack, I was in the next best thing to heaven. Earth!:dry: The Power Pack kids are not only Marvel's first Pre-teen super heroes, but Marvel's first Pre-teen superteam. Why do I even need to review a book with these lovable kids? With Franklin Richards, Jack, Katie, Alex, and The upcoming Loners star, Julie Power, what could be bad about it? Well...

This series, as I'm sure, deals very heavily with aliens and/or space. (The Powers got their... powers from the Kymellian alien race) And as I've said before, me + space = :mad: Also, They suffer from something I call "The Peter Parker effect." This means that no matter what, no reasoning with, no ifs, ands, or buts, they CAN NOT-- wait, wrong words, WON'T tell their loved ones about their powers. In the issues I have, this is ALWAYS a problem. It's just that I've always had a problem with superheroes lying to their loved ones about something like this, but this is not the thread to get into that.

The Fantastic Four (No Thing, but She-hulk) guest star in this issue on the search for the Power clan and, or course, Franklin who were kidnapped by the Zn'rx (Snarks) alien race. It turns out that the kids were actually brought back to earth (After kicking some Zn'rx ass, I gathered.) Here's some points that needs to be brought up...

-Franklin thinks that his Mommy and Daddy don't love him (How adorable)because of his powers, and because they're always on some adventure. it's understandable, the FF are Marvel's greatest and first family team, so why can't they spend more time with their son...? They MUST not love him, he's a freak. kidding. This is all resolved when the FF return to earth and reunite with Franklin.:heart:

-I like Alex and Julie, the two eldest, because they think their parents should know about their powers, But Jack and Katie, get this, think that their parents will stop loving them (Just like Franklin's had) if they ever found out.:huh::whatever: It got to a point, by the end of the issue when Katie said how their parents won't love them anymore, that I was like "Damn, *****, shut the **** up already! I HOPE they stop loving YOU!"...
:dry:

Anyway, if this was my first issue of a comic I, Shockingly, would have liked it. I know I complained earlier, but you have to remember, like I did, that these are just kids (all kids are annoying to me) and they're Siblings. All siblings ever do is fight (The Power kids fight) And all ANY kid ever wants is to feel and be loved, even if they have to lie a bit. I'd recommend this book to anyone, ESPECIALLY if they want to get a history lesson on Julie Power before The Loners hit stores. I give this book a 3 (out of 5)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"