The Official Backissue Thought Thread: Marvel Edition

Power Pack #37 June 1988
Written by: Louise Simonson Drawn by: Sal Velluto
POWERPACK37.gif

First off, I like the art. Second off, I like this issue. Third off, I love the Power Pack.

The Mutant Registration Act is in the air, and ON the air, as well. When Ted Black from queens was asked of his take on mutants, he states...

"Some mutant saved new york, but others did the damage! Mutants oughta be more than registered, they oughta be got rid of!" (Seriously, what the hell type of grammar is that?:huh: )

Alex Power
, because Julie and Jack tells him he should be taking out the garbage while they're doing Laundry says...

"How can you talk seriously about this garbage when that garbage is on the news? It's just a little step till they make everybody with powers register!"... :eek:Does Alex have a forseeing ability that we didn't know about?:wow:

Anyway, this issue is about Rebecca Littlehale, a young, new mutant (Not the comicbook characters,) who teleports every time she sees a bright light. She has no control over it, if she sees a light, she'll teleport towards it. The only thing that could stop it is Dark Glasses (Sunglasses). After some more teleporting, the Power Pack finally save Rebecca(Earlier, she accidentally teleported into Jack and Alex's room because of a flashlight) and bring her back home to her worried parents.

As I stated in my other review, the Power Pack go back and forth about whether or not they should tell their parents about their powers. Even more so now because someone has been calling their home and has informed the kids that they have been caught. With that in mind, I still like the book and its sibling aspect. The fighting, the annoyingness, and mostly, the teamwork. I give this issue a 3 (out of 5) and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Power Pack #39 August 1988
Written by: Louise Simonson Drawn by: Sal Velluto
POWERPACK39.gif

It's simple. This issue once again stars Rebecca Littlehale, the littlest muntant. People in her neighborhood are fighting with eachother because A)They want Rebecca out of theneighborhood because she's mutant, or B) They think that she has as much right to stay as everyone else does. Someone bombs her house leaving the Power Pack having to save the day. By the end, Rebecca gets kidnapped by The Bogeyman, One of thier old villians who thinks that they are mutants. It also turns out that he's the person who's been calling their house. He gets away, and the children get grounded. Not because Rebecca got away, no, but because The Bogeyman, very pissed, sends Mr. Powers pictures of the Pack doing something that they shouldn't.

This was a very dark title Marvel had when it came out. It may Star kids, but it sure ain't completely suited for them. All in All, I give this issue a 4 (out of 5) because the new format alone got me excited, and Of course I'd recommend this.

Speaking of the new format, I don't understand Why Marvel couldn't continue doing the priting like it was in this issue today. The paper is easy to turn, the colors are brighter, my fingerprints are NOWHERE in or on this issue.(Screw glossy!) Don't believe me? Go to your local comc shop and see if they have this issue, or order it, of course.

is her name really Rebacca, not Rebecca?

My bizz, will fix. I was very tired when i did it the second time. I don't even know what happened the first time.

COMICBOY said:
X-Factor (Vol. 1) 87 Febuary 1993
Written by: Peter David Drawn by: Joe Quesada
X-Factor.gif

I trust PAD (Peter David) as a writer, most of the time, so when I read issue 87, and compared it to the current X-Factor series' issue 14, I know there's a drastic difference. This also applies to the art.

in this issue we have The former cast of Havok, Polaris, and Val Cooper, and Also in this mix are the current cast members, Rahne, Guido, Quicksilver, and the everyman, Jamie Madrox. All of them set to sit on a Psychistrist's couch (Doctor Samson)and talk about their problems... Yes, this whole issue is them, one by one, sitting on a couch talking... but nowhere is that a bad, or boring thing.

I read issue 14 of the current series first and, being that I'm more into current comics than backissues, found that issue to be well done. Going into 14, I didn't care all too much about what Siryn or Monet had to say. (Siryn because she wouldn't except Banshee's (her father) death. Monet because she's a cold hard chick {I really wanna--no, NEED to see that fight she had with Emma Frost}) I went into issue 87 not really caring about what Havok or Polaris had to say. (I don't like them because they're the other "Jean and Scott." :whatever: ) My point is that I read 87 AFTER 14, and I was still suprised about What I found out about Rahne, Guido, Quicksilver, and mostly Jamie Madrox. Heck, Even Havok made me feel for him (Not that much, though).

To break down what was discussed:

Rahne's
dependancy of men.
Havok's "Little Brother" thing (Scott Summers of the Astonishing X-men is his older brother.)
Guido's funnyman shtick.
Val's Cluelessness.
Quicksilver's "The reason I'm a prick."
Jamie's "I can be my own best friend, but in the end it's still just me" thing.
Polaris' body issues (And I don't care what anyone say, Polaris is crazy. She has always been crazy.)

All in all, If this were my first comic, it'd be a GREAT starting point because you learn about the characters you're dealing with off the bat. I would recommend this book to anyone and their mother, as well as the current X-Factor series (IMHO, it is PAD's best current Marvel Comics work.) I give this issue a 4 (out of 5). It would've gotten a higher rating, but Joey Q's (Marvel's current EIC) art was very strange to me. Not bad in any sense, but strange.

SIDE NOTE: I WOULD LIKE TO THANK DARTHPHERE. IF IT WEREN'T FOR HIM, I WOULD'VE NEVER READ THIS ISSUE.

SIDE NOTE 2: SORRY FOR THIS LACKLUSTER "THOUGHT." I KNOW IT COULD'VE BEEN BETTER.

O.O

Okay now I feel stupid..My LCS has long boxes of comics going for 50 comics for $5 and there was almost a complete run of X-Factor there, and I'm positive that book was one of them...

*runs off to buy them*

Aye carumba, I hope they still have it. That is seriously one of the best single issues I've ever read.

*pssst, I posted the whole issue in the X-Men comics forum*

*cough*

Harlekin said:
Aye carumba, I hope they still have it. That is seriously one of the best single issues I've ever read.

*eye twitches*

*eyes go wild*

I HAVE TO GET IT!

Darthphere said:
:dry:

The dry smiley needs to be clicked.

You need to be clicked. :o
Thanks...*still runs out to by them*

Anyway, what should be next on my list? I have An Issue of Astonishing Tales. I have some Avengers comics, as well as some West Coast Avengers. There's a few Cable here, and more. Suggest away, and really, I know I'm not the only one who has backissues.

thunderbolts1997bjo6.jpg
thunderbolts1997ts1.jpg

Thunderbolts Annual 1997

With new team member Jolt, now in the midst of the Thunderbolts plans, Citizen V explains the origins of the team to quell her dangerous questioning. Citizen tells the entire team story to Jolt, however only the reader sees the unpolished details of V's tale. The fact that the Thunderbolts are secretly Baron Zemo's Masters of Evil!

Kurt Busiek, continuing his excellent work on the ingenious Thunderbolts series devises a concept that not only explains the creation of the team to the reader, but also builds the motivations and personalities of each character involved in the story. We see Abe Jenkins desire for respect, that inevitably leads him to a life of crime, and Melissa Gold's loneliness and battered life that brings her into the security of Zemo's troop. Moonstone's manipulative nature, Atlas' unquestioning loyalty, and Zemo's simple lust for power are all put on display in this stand alone story. The clever anctedote that covers the plot for the issue, injects large amounts of humor into the story, as Zemo has to stay ahead of a peppy Jolts curiosity. The books single noticeable flaw, is the number of artists on duty here. Mark Bagley apparently hates doing annuals(See USM) and more artists than Maximum Clonage Omega, pull duty on the book. Not a terribly bad thing, as George Perez does some fine work on a couple pages, but it is quite distracting when reading such an engrossing story. All in all, this is an excellent read for those attempting to get into the new "Thunderbolts" being released next week, and in my opinion one of the highest points of the original series itself. *Plus it has a awesome wraparound cover! :up::up::woot:*

Harlekin said:

I agree. That issue kicked ass :up: It was very insightful

COMICBOY said:
Anyway, what should be next on my list? I have An Issue of Astonishing Tales. I have some Avengers comics, as well as some West Coast Avengers. There's a few Cable here, and more. Suggest away, and really, I know I'm not the only one who has backissues.
This is an unusual suggestion, but try to find Cable #79-96. They brought on novelist Robert Weinberg, and he actually made the book REALLY good. But no one noticed because it was Cable.

Elijya said:
This is an unusual suggestion, but try to find Cable #79-96. They brought on novelist Robert Weinberg, and he actually made the book REALLY good. But no one noticed because it was Cable.
Of Cable, I have 21-23 and 60 and 80. Let me see what i can get My hands onto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"