Batman '89 The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 6

I find the lack of great Keaton Batman shirts disturbing. There are so many great production photos of Keaton in the suit that would make great shirts. It'd be nice to see Mondo making a shirt for this film.

Last edited:
So I read that the VHS was brightened after people complained that "Batman" was too dark. Does anyone know if the version on the Blu-Ray is as the cinematographer intended, or has it also been altered?

I've never heard that before. Not sure?

I've never heard that before. Not sure?

Well if that is the case hopefully the 4K release fixes that issue. I'd also like a release that actually has the illustrated logo from the poster, and the original font for the title. I hate the photoshopped cover that's out there right now. If it ain't broke don't fix it. And can someone please include some deleted scenes? The footage has to be sitting in WB's vault.

One thing that has bothered me over the years is how Batman is portrayed in "Returns" compared to its predecessor. In the 89 film Batman sneaks up on criminals, he disappears and reappears, and I also liked how the Bat-Suit functions in the 89 film. He can use the suit to block attacks with the gauntlets, and boots. All that stuff was dropped in "Batman Returns" and I'm not sure why. Even the way Batman's lit is completely different. The 89 film mostly keeps Batman in the shadows, but for some reason Returns dropped all of that.

I was going through the previous posts on this thread when I came upon the issue of Alfred letting Vicki into the Batcave. A lot of people have taken this as a confirmation that Alfred revealed Bruce's secret to Vicki, but this is a misconception. Remember what happened in the previous scene with Vicki. She finds out that Bruce's parents are murdered, and Knox says "What do you suppose something like this does to a kid?", after which Vicki storms off. At that moment Vicki had already figured it out for herself. I think this goes over people's heads because the film attempts to portray that revelation visually rather than flat out telling you.

The storytelling in this film is vastly different compared to any other Batman film including "Returns". There are a lot of plot points that are implied, or left ambiguous through the use of visuals. I still don't think the film gets enough credit in that regard.

So I read that the VHS was brightened after people complained that "Batman" was too dark. Does anyone know if the version on the Blu-Ray is as the cinematographer intended, or has it also been altered?

I believe Roger Pratt did approve the Blu-ray transfer of the film.

I was going through the previous posts on this thread when I came upon the issue of Alfred letting Vicki into the Batcave. A lot of people have taken this as a confirmation that Alfred revealed Bruce's secret to Vicki, but this is a misconception. Remember what happened in the previous scene with Vicki. She finds out that Bruce's parents are murdered, and Knox says "What do you suppose something like this does to a kid?", after which Vicki storms off. At that moment Vicki had already figured it out for herself. I think this goes over people's heads because the film attempts to portray that revelation visually rather than flat out telling you.

The storytelling in this film is vastly different compared to any other Batman film including "Returns". There are a lot of plot points that are implied, or left ambiguous through the use of visuals. I still don't think the film gets enough credit in that regard.

Great post. I totally agree. A lot of things are not spelled out but implied, which I really love.

Same as when Cicki and Knox discover Bruce's museum. He tells them he brought all those weapons. This is obviously implying he travelled the world to train.

CIDtOAo.gif

I like Prince, but I do think his soundtrack dates the film a bit. I don't have a problem with it being used at Bruce's party, or at the parade. Basically places where you'd expect there to be pop songs.

Found some great posts about this film from a blogger named GothamStreets. They go in detail about the production using quotes from multiple sources.

"The Impact of Batman"
Gotham Alleys: The Impact of 'Batman'

"When does Batman take place?"
Gotham Alleys: When does 'Batman' take place?

"Batman in 1980s/90s: Michael Keaton"
Gotham Alleys: Batman in 1980s/90s: Michael Keaton

"Comic Book References in the movies Part I: 'Batman'"
Gotham Alleys: Comic Book References in the movies Part I: 'Batman'

These articles debunk a lot of the criticisms that have been thrown at this film over the years. Primarily that the Batman in this film isn't comic book accurate, and that Burton didn't do research with the comics before filming began. Check out some of the other articles on the site because clearly a lot of time and effort went into them.

There are some things that originated from this film that have since been carried forward in film and the comics that I didn't know about.
-This introduced the idea of Batman having a different voice from Bruce Wayne in film or television.
-The black Bat-Suit which is in most of the films came from this, along with the idea of putting black makeup around the eyes to blend in with the mask.
-Referring to the Bat-Plane as the Batwing
-The grapple gun came from this. The closest thing beforehand was a grapple rifle/harpoon from The Dark Knight Returns

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've been on these forums, but with the 30th Anniversary upon us I felt a visit was required. I'm very excited about the announced 4k Ultra HD blu-ray, and all of the new merchandise it looks like we're getting.

What would you like to see most out of the new 30th Anniversary 4K blu?

I'm back, too.
One thing that has bothered me over the years is how Batman is portrayed in "Returns" compared to its predecessor. In the 89 film Batman sneaks up on criminals, he disappears and reappears, and I also liked how the Bat-Suit functions in the 89 film. He can use the suit to block attacks with the gauntlets, and boots. All that stuff was dropped in "Batman Returns" and I'm not sure why. Even the way Batman's lit is completely different. The 89 film mostly keeps Batman in the shadows, but for some reason Returns dropped all of that.

Because Tim Burton didn't wanna just do the same thing in the second one. He didn't wanna be repetitive so in Batman Returns Michael Keaton's Batman is put in different situations where he can't just rely on the same methods. In Batman '89 his foes are in areas that he can hide and can sneak-up from behind [two hoods on a lonely rooftop, Jack Nicholson's Jack Napier in a huge chemical factory, Joker taking Vicki hostage in a huge cathedral]. In Batman Returns his foes are out in the open on the streets terrorizing Gotham [the Red Triangle Circus Gang on Gotham Plaza, on Gotham Square, Michelle's Catwoman and Danny DeVito's Penguin outside Shreck's department store, Penguin at the Arctic World] where Keaton's Batman can't just go "it's a little bright, so I'll just sit this one out" and wait and hide in the shadows, no! He's gotta get out there and fight fire with fire out on the streets in the open, he doesn't really have a choice in those situations, but he's still not running around in the day and he's not openly hanging around Pat Hingle's burly gruff irascible Commissioner Gordon and the police chief in the Commissioner's office like Adam West's Batman would do with Neil Hamilton's Commissioner Gordon and Stafford Repp's Chief O'Hara in the Dozierverse, and like Val Kilmer's/George Clooney's Batman would do with the Schumacherverse bumbling naive inept Pat Hingle Commissioner Gordon. The Burtonverse Michael Keaton Batman's still mysterious and wants to hide in the shadows, but in Batman Returns he's forced into unconformable situations. It's interesting to see Keaton's Batman forced out of his comfort zone.

In Fantasy Zone #1 (1989) Tim Burton explained, "I'm only interested in doing a sequel if you can do something more interesting than the first, and more it's own thing. I don't know if they [Warners] are prepared to make a sequel as interesting as it needs to be, and take it to the next level. I think it must get weirder before it gets anything else. I don't mean that in an abstract way, I mean that in a way that's interesting."
Batman- The 1989 Film: Vintage Magazine Article: "Fantasy Zone" #1 October 1989
Tim Burton explained in his foreword to Batman Returns: The Official Movie Book (1992) by Michael Singer, "One of the reasons I wanted to direct Batman Returns was to introduce different characters who are both very interesting and very complex, like The Penguin, Catwoman, Max Shreck and the Red Triangle Circus Gang. The Batman stories had some of the wildest characters in comics, yet for some reason, they seemed the most real to me. It's a challenge to make these characters come alive for movie audiences of the '90s... I feel like a real kindred spirit with Danny [DeVito], and I think we're creating something that people will see and enjoy as a natural expansion of the comic book character. I don't think there's anybody better at making the horrible acceptable."

Last edited:
Because Tim Burton didn't wanna just do the same thing in the second one. He didn't wanna be repetitive so in Batman Returns Michael Keaton's Batman is put in different situations where he can't just rely on the same methods. In Batman '89 his foes are in areas that he can hide and can sneak-up from behind [two hoods on a lonely rooftop, Jack Nicholson's Jack Napier in a huge chemical factory, Joker taking Vicki hostage in a huge cathedral]. In Batman Returns his foes are out in the open on the streets terrorizing Gotham [the Red Triangle Circus Gang on Gotham Plaza, on Gotham Square, Michelle's Catwoman and Danny DeVito's Penguin outside Shreck's department store, Penguin at the Arctic World] where Keaton's Batman can't just go "it's a little bright, so I'll just sit this one out" and wait and hide in the shadows, no! He's gotta get out there and fight fire with fire out on the streets in the open, he doesn't really have a choice in those situations, but he's still not running around in the day and he's not openly hanging around Pat Hingle's burly gruff irascible Commissioner Gordon and the police chief in the Commissioner's office like Adam West's Batman would do with Neil Hamilton's Commissioner Gordon and Stafford Repp's Chief O'Hara in the Dozierverse, and like Val Kilmer's/George Clooney's Batman would do with the the Schumacherverse bumbling naive inept Pat Hingle Commissioner Gordon. The Burtonverse Michael Keaton Batman's still mysterious and wants to hide in the shadows, but in Batman Returns he's forced into unconformable situations. It's interesting to see Keaton's Batman forced out of his comfort zone.

In Fantasy Zone #1 (1989) Tim Burton explained, "I'm only interested in doing a sequel if you can do something more interesting than the first, and more it's own thing. I don't know if they [Warners] are prepared to make a sequel as interesting as it needs to be, and take it to the next level. I think it must get weirder before it gets anything else. I don't mean that in an abstract way, I mean that in a way that's interesting."
Tim Burton explained in his foreword to Batman Returns: The Official Movie Book (1992) by Michael Singer, "One of the reasons I wanted to direct Batman Returns was to introduce different characters who are both very interesting and very complex, like The Penguin, Catwoman, Max Shreck and the Red Triangle Circus Gang. The Batman stories had some of the wildest characters in comics, yet for some reason, they seemed the most real to me. It's a challenge to make these characters come alive for movie audiences of the '90s... I feel like a real kindred spirit with Danny [DeVito], and I think we're creating something that people will see and enjoy as a natural expansion of the comic book character. I don't think there's anybody better at making the horrible acceptable."
Really well put :up:

I'm back, too.

Because Tim Burton didn't wanna just do the same thing in the second one. He didn't wanna be repetitive so in Batman Returns Michael Keaton's Batman is put in different situations where he can't just rely on the same methods. In Batman '89 his foes are in areas that he can hide and can sneak-up from behind [two hoods on a lonely rooftop, Jack Nicholson's Jack Napier in a huge chemical factory, Joker taking Vicki hostage in a huge cathedral]. In Batman Returns his foes are out in the open on the streets terrorizing Gotham [the Red Triangle Circus Gang on Gotham Plaza, on Gotham Square, Michelle's Catwoman and Danny DeVito's Penguin outside Shreck's department store, Penguin at the Arctic World] where Keaton's Batman can't just go "it's a little bright, so I'll just sit this one out" and wait and hide in the shadows, no! He's gotta get out there and fight fire with fire out on the streets in the open, he doesn't really have a choice in those situations, but he's still not running around in the day and he's not openly hanging around Pat Hingle's burly gruff irascible Commissioner Gordon and the police chief in the Commissioner's office like Adam West's Batman would do with Neil Hamilton's Commissioner Gordon and Stafford Repp's Chief O'Hara in the Dozierverse, and like Val Kilmer's/George Clooney's Batman would do with the the Schumacherverse bumbling naive inept Pat Hingle Commissioner Gordon. The Burtonverse Michael Keaton Batman's still mysterious and wants to hide in the shadows, but in Batman Returns he's forced into unconformable situations. It's interesting to see Keaton's Batman forced out of his comfort zone.

I may not love Returns, but I do appreciate how different it is from the previous film. I like it when a filmmaker takes a sequel down a different path from its predecessor.

It's been a while since I've been on these forums, but with the 30th Anniversary upon us I felt a visit was required. I'm very excited about the announced 4k Ultra HD blu-ray, and all of the new merchandise it looks like we're getting.

What would you like to see most out of the new 30th Anniversary 4K blu?
It'll never happen, but I would like to see some deleted scenes. Also, it'd be nice to have some of the vintage documentaries, and news casts included on a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"