The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 6

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by Thread Manager, Jun 14, 2017.

1. carpenter82

carpenter82 Well-Known Member

I find the lack of great Keaton Batman shirts disturbing. There are so many great production photos of Keaton in the suit that would make great shirts. It'd be nice to see Mondo making a shirt for this film.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. carpenter82

So I read that the VHS was brightened after people complained that "Batman" was too dark. Does anyone know if the version on the Blu-Ray is as the cinematographer intended, or has it also been altered?

3. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

I've never heard that before. Not sure?

4. carpenter82

Well if that is the case hopefully the 4K release fixes that issue. I'd also like a release that actually has the illustrated logo from the poster, and the original font for the title. I hate the photoshopped cover that's out there right now. If it ain't broke don't fix it. And can someone please include some deleted scenes? The footage has to be sitting in WB's vault.

5. carpenter82

One thing that has bothered me over the years is how Batman is portrayed in "Returns" compared to its predecessor. In the 89 film Batman sneaks up on criminals, he disappears and reappears, and I also liked how the Bat-Suit functions in the 89 film. He can use the suit to block attacks with the gauntlets, and boots. All that stuff was dropped in "Batman Returns" and I'm not sure why. Even the way Batman's lit is completely different. The 89 film mostly keeps Batman in the shadows, but for some reason Returns dropped all of that.

6. carpenter82

I was going through the previous posts on this thread when I came upon the issue of Alfred letting Vicki into the Batcave. A lot of people have taken this as a confirmation that Alfred revealed Bruce's secret to Vicki, but this is a misconception. Remember what happened in the previous scene with Vicki. She finds out that Bruce's parents are murdered, and Knox says "What do you suppose something like this does to a kid?", after which Vicki storms off. At that moment Vicki had already figured it out for herself. I think this goes over people's heads because the film attempts to portray that revelation visually rather than flat out telling you.

The storytelling in this film is vastly different compared to any other Batman film including "Returns". There are a lot of plot points that are implied, or left ambiguous through the use of visuals. I still don't think the film gets enough credit in that regard.

7. Kamdan

Kamdan New Member

I believe Roger Pratt did approve the Blu-ray transfer of the film.

8. Naked Shia

Naked Shia Nikkid's law

Great post. I totally agree. A lot of things are not spelled out but implied, which I really love.

Same as when Cicki and Knox discover Bruce's museum. He tells them he brought all those weapons. This is obviously implying he travelled the world to train.