Batman '89 The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 6

I don't know which fan created this, but I would be all for it. They'd never get Keaton, but still...

You never know, with Keaton's track record for films and his comments on Batman, I think an animated appearance isn't impossible. Without Burton it's a lot less likely though (and, in my opinion, pointless).

Here are the props that were up for auction at the BFI IMAX - I believe the Joker costume is from the boardroom scene, apart from the tie. They also had some select 1966 and Schumacher props plus a Batsuit from Batman Forever and Catwoman's costume from 1966.

img_1919.jpg

img_1915.jpg

img_1917.jpg

img_1918.jpg

img_1916.jpg

I don't know which fan created this, but I would be all for it. They'd never get Keaton, but still...

209hqb7.jpg

Yes please!

i still love the art for that Batman 1989 comc proposal - the 'new' character designs not only feel they come from the Burton world, but as if they were drawn at the time

[YT]1niQHQ2pLDk[/YT]

Prince performs "Scandalous" from 1989 Batman album - Montreux Jazz Festival (2009)

I think Nicholson was an awesome Joker. Burton was going more for a comic feel, and Nicholson perfectly fit in with his portrayal as Joker. He brings the comical side to the forefront.

Agreed. When I try to rank my favourite live-action Jokers I go backwards and forwards. I think Nicholson and Ledger were equally good in their own, very different ways. But to be honest Cesar Romero will always be my #1. He's the Joker I grew up with and he's who always pops into my mind when the topic of Joker comes up (much as Alan Napier is always first into my head when I think of Alfred) - although whenever I read a Batman story Hamill is always the Joker voice that I hear :yay:

Reading the previous thread, and finding out Keaton smashed Pfeiffer.

Were they still together during BR?

I believe hearing at the time that they were.

I've still got the trades of the B'89 and BR adaptations, and the art is indeed super.

Likewise - I've also got the Batman Forever comic adaptation.

Also, with all of the Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '75 comics/animation of late, the time has really come for a Burton-verse continuation/expansion comic book line and/or animated film series.

Absolutely agree. A Keaton-voiced animated Batman movie based on the B'89/BR character designs would be awesome. Surely the idea must have been kicked around...

I'm split on a Batman '89 comic/animation. On one hand, obviously I'd be there day one. But on the other, Tim Burton brought such a unique vision to his Batman movies and covered a relatively small amount of the mythology, I'm not sure another writer/artist would be able to fill those blanks to my satisfaction.

Agreed. It would just be a guessing game from the production team. Unless Burton gives some kind of input himself, it would no doubt feel a little off.

A stop-motion (or GCI imitation) animated Batman 3, with guidance from Burton and voices of Keaton/Pfeiffer would be amazing.

I look at the artwork from the artist that proposed a B89 comic a few years back, and the established characters look terrific, but then it's like "And here's Tim Burton's Batgirl" and I'm just like ehhhhh... not really, though.

The Batman '66 comic works because not only did they cover a good chunk of the rogue's gallery that existed at that time, but also because the show didn't really do a bunch of divergent takes on the material itself, it was just the tone they took on that continues to stand out. Romero's Joker was the Joker of that time, Gorshin's Riddler was that Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Mad Hatter, etc. So when they do something like "Here's B66's Bane!", you're just kind of like "Okay, yeah."

Burton did The Joker, Penguin and Catwoman, with an extra half point for the first movie's Harvey Dent presence. And he did pretty divergent stuff with those three. I just can't see anyone else really nailing what he might have done with, like... Freeze or Ra's Al Ghul.

I think they could get Keaton and Burton on board for an animated movie if they were willing to release it theatrically, though I'm betting Burton would produce rather than direct, though be more hands-on than he was with Batman Forever. And since Mask of the Phantasm and Lego Batman, a precedent is established where we can have a theatrical release for a Batman movie that isn't live action and connected to the current series(DCEU in this case).

I think they could get Keaton and Burton on board for an animated movie if they were willing to release it theatrically, though I'm betting Burton would produce rather than direct, though be more hands-on than he was with Batman Forever. And since Mask of the Phantasm and Lego Batman, a precedent is established where we can have a theatrical release for a Batman movie that isn't live action and connected to the current series(DCEU in this case).

Not to mention Sony's upcoming animated Spider-Man film.

I've always been up for the idea out of curiosity. Business-wise, it seems like a no-brainer, as there has always been a fan interest there.

Yay, another negative Batman 89 article. After nearly 30 years WE GET IT, it wasn't all that faithful to the comics. You'd think by now people would be sick of reiterating that point in article after article and all over discussion forums, and especially after being lavished with faithful animated adaptations and three blockbuster hits directed by God himself, Christopher Nolan. But no, let's just keep picking at that old wound from 1989 and annoying the living hell out of the people who actually liked the movie. Not to mention, at the end, this clown says Batman & Robin is the superior movie.

Last edited:
I'm starting off this year by re-watching as many superhero movies as I can. Seven days in I have watched all 4 Chris Reeve Superman movies and the first 3 Batman movies that started in '89.

Batman '89 has always been a favorite of mine. I remember back in the day when it was first announced the Keaton was going to be Batman. There was no internet, but the word got around and the majority of the word was that it was a terrible choice. But he did a damn fine job.

Batman '89 has always been a favorite of mine. I remember back in the day when it was first announced the Keaton was going to be Batman. There was no internet, but the word got around and the majority of the word was that it was a terrible choice. But he did a damn fine job.

Yep, I remember that. Over 50,000 letters sent to WB. I didn't send a letter but I was surprised at the casting. Agree though, damn fine job.

Hi there,

does anybody know what the first official released picture from Burtons "Batman" was? And when? Which magazine?

Yay, another negative Batman 89 article. After nearly 30 years WE GET IT, it wasn't all that faithful to the comics. You'd think by now people would be sick of reiterating that point in article after article and all over discussion forums, and especially after being lavished with faithful animated adaptations and three blockbuster hits directed by God himself, Christopher Nolan. But no, let's just keep picking at that old wound from 1989 and annoying the living hell out of the people who actually liked the movie. Not to mention, at the end, this clown says Batman & Robin is the superior movie.

I agree! All I see is hate for this amazing movie. People cannot view it in the context of 1989 only in today's context (which it still kicks ass if you have half a brain) I keep hearing "It didnt age well" or "It wasnt as good as you remembered." Makes me furious lol. People crying that Batman "killed". Go watch a Barney after school special if you are too sensitive for fictional violence. Joker shot his parents right in front of his face for a necklace. I think he has the right to be a little angry. You go from Adam Wast to Michael Keaton it is such a huge upgrade. Keaton --> Bale not so much of a dramatic jump if any. I liked TDK but mostly for Joker. TDK seemed like it borrowed heavily from 89. The batwing vs joker showdown = definitely inspired the Batcycle/Joker showdown in TDK. The finale of 89 with the bat symbol = TDK standing over the city.

Last edited:
I saw this movie for the first time back in 2002 when I was 9. Up until that point I'd only seen Batman Returns, and both of the Schumacher Bat-flicks. This film absolutely floored me. For a solid month I would come home from school, do my homework, and watch "Batman" everyday. As a kid this was one of my all time favorite films, and the same is still true as an adult.

"Batman" is solid escapist entertainment. It transports you to a unique world where it feels like anything is possible. I can easily see this Gotham inhabiting every Rogue that Batman's ever faced from the comics. The mixture of 1930's fashion combined with contemporary elements is extraordinary. You can clearly see the effect this had on the comic book films of the 90's with the likes of Dick Tracy, Darkman, The Crow, The Shadow, etc.. In my opinion this type of filmmaking has been lost in recent comic book films. I miss the days where superhero films took you to a place that you'd never seen before. Nowadays they all take place in contemporary cities, or they take the Nolan approach of grounding a fictional metropolis in a real city. To be clear I do like that element of the Nolan films, but I don't think that style translates well for every comic book film.

As stated above I'd seen the other Batman films, but I would usually skip all the Bruce Wayne scenes in order to get to all the outlandish action sequences with Batman. For the most part I always found Bruce Wayne to be an uninteresting character in the Schumacher films, and I don't think the character received enough screen time in "Batman Returns". However, this was the first film where I was completely invested whenever Bruce Wayne was on screen. For me it was just as entertaining seeing Wayne as it was seeing Batman. Keaton really is the standout of this film. He is still the only actor to successfully make Bruce Wayne and Batman two distinctly different people. Keaton's Wayne is charismatic yet awkward, but his Batman is focused, calculating, and silent. It's quite the balancing act but Keaton executes both roles with ease.

Similar to my complaint about "Batman Returns" many have criticized this film for not giving Bruce Wayne/Batman enough screen time. I completely disagree, both characters are given just the right amount of screen time. Clearly the film wants to keep Batman as a mysterious figure, and to me that's an interesting approach. I like that this film doesn't reveal everything there is to know about Bruce Wayne. The filmmakers give you enough to make your own conclusions about the character. In case you need evidence that this was a deliberate choice look at the scene where Vicki discovers what happened to Bruce's parents. The film plays that plot point as a sort of twist or reveal. It definitely isn't an oversight on the part of Burton & co.

I can keep going on about why I love this film, but I don't want to write a novela with this post. To this day "Batman", and "The Dark Knight" are the only Batman films that I absolutely love. I can kind of understand the negative reaction that some people have towards it in a post Nolan world, but for my money it's still an awesome film. I'm not sure why so many fans fall into either the Nolan camp, or the Burton camp. I proudly plant my flag at both camps. One of the great things about Batman in the comics is the variety of interpretations artists have had over the years, and the same is true of the character in film. Both Nolan, and Burton's visions of Batman are valid interpretations of the character. Here's hoping Matt Reeves will join their ranks with his new film.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add one more thing. I find it interesting that Batman is usually the pioneer when it comes to adapting superheroes for film, or television. "Batman" was the first dark superhero film in terms of visuals, and I'd argue in terms of content as well. "The Dark Knight" was the first film to turn a superhero adaption into a thought provoking crime drama. Then there's "Batman: The Animated Series" which broke new ground in adapting superhero to cartoons showing that it can be taken seriously. When the right creative people come together Batman always seems to be ahead of the curve.

Segafan, now you gotta get Kim Bassinger screaming otherwise you’ve got only one half of Batman 89.

'Batman' usually brings out the best in people, under the correct circumstances.

Count me in as another that never had a problem with the screen time Keaton received in Batman '89. I thought both he and Jack were given ample time to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"