Batman '89 The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 6

Holy crap, the new transfer of 89 looks absolutely stunning. Those colors. Wow. I reallllllly need a 4k setup asap...

Looks like I'm getting the best buy steelbook set.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/batman...lu-ray-only--best-buy/6346959.p?skuId=6346959

vhQuK4H.jpg

I've been out for her loop on toys for some time now, but if McFarlane's DC deal produces a Keaton Batman figure, I'm buying that **** day one.

I still want to get the 4K of this and Returns but I wonder how jarring the altered sound effects will be for Batman (89). Apparently a number of sound effects like gunshots and when the Batmobile's protective shield activates are different. Having seen this movie countless times I hope I can get used to it. Keeping my Blu-ray copy just in case.

It's beautiful. :bow:

The sound alone is incredible, and the entire film feels less dated with this incredible picture quality.

It's beautiful. :bow:

The sound alone is incredible, and the entire film feels less dated with this incredible picture quality.
I thought the effects were improved with this new transfer as well.

Kane, just wondering-- did you bump the contrast or saturation on those gifs at all?

They look great, but one thing that's throwing me off there is how the bat-signal almost looks neon blue.

I thought the effects were improved with this new transfer as well.

Yes, almost everything is improved.

I put it on to watch one or two scenes to check out the 4K transfer and wound up watching the entire movie. The cinematography stood out much more to me and I picked up details I had never noticed or recognized before.

I seriously need to pick this up on 4k Ultra. hopefully this month

Yes, almost everything is improved.

I put it on to watch one or two scenes to check out the 4K transfer and wound up watching the entire movie. The cinematography stood out much more to me and I picked up details I had never noticed or recognized before.
Restoring the original look for the cinematography also hid things a bit better. For example you can't see someones hand on the steering wheel of the Batmobile when it's supposed to be driven remotely.

The new remasters finally restored the look this movie, and these four movies in general, had to begin with.

They finally look like they were supposed to. Like 35mm FILM. And man, does it make them better. Previous (digital) home video versions have always been too bright, too video-y. And it also made the sets look faker than they were supposed to.

Tim Burton knew what he was doing. The sets were supposed to work with the film's intended look and lighting (which of course includes shadows and darker portions).

And what I find ironic about Tim Burton's movies and how the public perceives them, is that despite the crazy, surreal settings and elements, they're probably the most mature and psychologically realistic portrayals of these characters.

They may be freaks, but DAMMIT, they're HUMAN.

tumblr_psf7xxdfFN1rrkahjo7_540.gif

Thanks again for the wonderful collection of GIFs, Kane!

The new remasters finally restored the look this movie, and these four movies in general, had to begin with.

They finally look like they were supposed to. Like 35mm FILM. And man, does it make them better. Previous (digital) home video versions have always been too bright, too video-y. And it also made the sets look faker than they were supposed to.

Tim Burton knew what he was doing. The sets were supposed to work with the film's intended look and lighting (which of course includes shadows and darker portions).

And what I find ironic about Tim Burton's movies and how the public perceives them, is that despite the crazy, surreal settings and elements, they're probably the most mature and psychologically realistic portrayals of these characters.

They may be freaks, but DAMMIT, they're HUMAN.

I'm kinda surprised that this is still the only Batman film that even attempts to explore/expose the psychotic nature of Batman. Idk if we'll ever see someone tackle that again.

Hot take, but I really love Vicki Vale's second visit to the Batcave. Some great dialogue in there.

Vicki: "Why won't you let me in? Why?"
Bruce: "You got in."
Vicki: "I've loved you since I met you...but I don't know what to think of all this. I really don't."
Bruce: "Look, sometimes I don't know what to think about this. It's just something I have to do."
Vicki: "Why?"
Bruce: "Because nobody else can. Look, I tried to avoid all this, but I can't. This is how it is. It's not a perfect world."
Vicki: "It doesn't have to be a perfect world. I just gotta know, are we gonna try to love each other?"
Bruce: "I'd like to. But he's out there right now, and I've gotta go to work."

The last shot is framed with Vicki in the foreground, Joker on the Batcomputer screen in the background, and Bruce standing between them -- a man caught between two worlds. Love it.

On first glance I thought I was looking at Val Kilmer, and thought "Oh stool, I'm in the wrong Batman movie thread"

Hoping to pick this up on 4k soon.

Im gonna rewatch this sometime this weekend in honor of the 30th anniversary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"