Batman '89 The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 6

Kinda pissed they only had the showings on one day. With the Superman: The Movie 40th Anniversary showings, they had at least two different days in case you missed one.

I just watched the reveal scene for Batman in Gotham, and Harvey Bullock is dressed like Bob from this movie.

Casual Batman fan here:

Were Grissom and Eckhart based on Rupert Thorne and Harvey Bullock from the comics?

Casual Batman fan here:

Were Grissom and Eckhart based on Rupert Thorne and Harvey Bullock from the comics?

For what it's worth, according to the Batman fandom wiki,

Grissom is based on Rupert Thorne and was previously identified as such in earlier drafts of the script by Steve Englehart. In that version Thorne sent Joe Chill to murder Thomas Wayne, who ran against Thorne for City Council. When Sam Hamm was hired he "normalized" the name and removed the Wayne murders connection.

and
"Although that was not been directly confirmed by the film's Screenwriters, it was widely believed that Max Eckhardt was inspired by the comic characters Detective Harvey Bullock and Detective Arnold Flass, both of whom were, at least at one point, were corrupt policemen on crime's payroll, and were partners of Commissioner Gordon. Also, Eckhardt's physical structure and attitude: overweight, unshaven, and gruff, were also characteristics of Bullock."

I've always assumed that Eckhardt was based on Bullock. Never really thought about Grissom, I just thought he was a pretty generic crime boss.

Last edited:
Casual Batman fan here:

For what it's worth, according to the Batman fandom wiki,

and

I've always assumed that Eckhardt was based on Bullock. Never really thought about Grissom, I just thought he was a pretty generic crime boss.
That's cool, cause I still view Eckhardt as Harvey Bullock.

It's killing me that I couldn't see this in theaters this time.

Really can't wait to own the 4K version.

I saw this again on the big screen after 30 years as i remembered the hype back when i was 8 30 years ago as i remember the teaser back in late 88 and couldn't wait for it! before that i was more into Superman and Swamp Thing when it comes to DC characters then i hear news of Batman movie coming out 89 as a year before the movie was released i couldn't wait for the movie as i learn things from starlog and comicscene magazine even the hype of waiting.

I saw the movie on the big screen 4 times and i had some merchandise and stuff even ate the cereal plus i watched reruns of the 60's show on Family Channel and taped them even collected the comics since even Catwoman ones as i dug her thanks to the 60's show. I even got the VHS for christmas when it hit video as i asked Santa for it and Ghostbusters 2 even the soundtrack.

What monster changed the original posters on IMDB to those 4K cover abominations?

An on-line review of content & presentation of the set....

The reviews are fantastic so I'll probably be picking up Batman 1989 and Batman returns

I was basically hardcore ejaculating when I saw those screens. These movies look FINALLY like they're supposed to. Straight from the negative.
I'm also glad that Warners decided to keep the OAR, instead of opening them up to 1.78:1 once again. I hope they'll follow suit on future titles.

Last edited:
1wC0iPN.jpg

Hi all.
Just a word of warning. If you are in Australia do not buy the Australian release of all the 89-97 4ks because they do not come with remastered Blu rays.
The only come with the same old Blu ray as previously released with even the same old picture on that disc.
Had to return all four because it's false advertising. I'll be buying the American release with the remastered Blu ray and slip cover.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"