The Official Batman Forever Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished watching BF just now and I have new found appreciation with it. Is it only me that believes BF to be the most psychological live Batman film? Even more so than B89 and TDKR? Some of the complaints remain like the direction, Kilmer, and villains.

Kinda necessary since they continued the Burton movies but at the same time wanted to "fix" the mess that came before to establish a more heroic Batman (of course I doubt that any redemption for Keaton's Batman is realistic). A noble goal, but TBH, all Batman movies until Batman Begins felt kinda odd to me, a guy who had read Batman comics long before the 89 movie came out... I still LOL when people say that Burton's movies were in any way true to a version of Batman that came before 1989.

Thank God I don't give a damn about fidelity to the source material...

I have nostalgia for Forever, but I find it really, really hard to get through nowadays. There are some redeemable aspects in there, but it just kind of feels caught in the middle between being a serious character study of Batman and a campy romp with over the top villains. As a kid it struck a good balance of being serious and fun, but as an adult, in addition to having so many eye-rolling moments it just feels hollow to me. I'd much rather put on Batman & Robin with a few friends and some drinks and let the good times roll.

Batman Forever has moments of greatness, It really does! However, it is overshadowed by stupid moments, cringeworthy dialogue, and campy set designs.

But all those ARE the moments of greatness!!!!

:hrt:

tumblr_mgu4lrKcUa1qirs0mo1_500.gif

Sorry, its just my nostalgia flaring up.

Hahaha. :woot: I encourage nostalgia. If something charms you, go with it.

Nothin' wrong with that, even if nitpicky idealists like me have trouble viewing it with the eyes they did as a child. To be honest, I envy you!

It doesn't take much to not nitpick on something you used to love, at least for me I view it on a different light than before. Also I found out a long time ago that if you start nitpicking on minor things all the time, you start ruining the fun and enjoyment in everything. In short, just f*** it and have fun.

Gotham was passable in this film; epic in scale and the neon wasn't terribly overdone.

Gotham was passable in this film; epic in scale and the neon wasn't terribly overdone.

Agreed, the Neon in BF was contrasted with dark backgrounds and nice architecture and that mesh came up really weird (in a interesting way IMO). In B&R everything just got way to brightly colored and playful, it looked like Candyland.

To be completely honest, Batman Forever maybe my least favorite Batman film. I can watch Batman & Robin in a guilty pleasure kind of way, even that has shining moments like the Alfred and Bruce scenes. But Forever is a complicated beast. I enjoy Jim Carrey in the film, but ultimately is not a compelling Riddler. He tries to emulate Gorshin and ends up in far away place. Two-Face is... just a bad interpretation. And Kilmer's performance leaves too much to be desired, somehow it doesn't feel right. The movie doesn't know if it wants to brood or if it wants to be fun, and fails doing both.

There are some nice moments, mostly outrageously funny things like the first scene with Batman and the vault, and he being able to escape from it and managing to return it to its place flawlessly, it's just great. You just say "He is that good.". But overall, there are more things that bother me than things that please me.

For me the movie has very, very little redeeming qualities. First of all, its just not Batman for me , as they took out all the basic and core characteristics of the character (http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2012/04/common-core.html). Secondly, its just too childish and goofy in a lot of places. I dont mind goofy or campy moments, but this movie with the exception of a scene or two seems like movie solely for pubescent audience. Its too heroic. It has neither the dark drama of Waynes character like in Nolans movies, nor Gothic Phantom qualities of Burtons

Cons:
-Kilmer is the worst Batman.
-Only Two-Face should have been the villain. Give him his proper characterization too.
-Blend of seriousness and campyness.

Pros:
-Cerebral and deeply psychological.
-Bruce Wayne finding a purpose for the mask.
-Chris O'Donnell.
-Nicole Kidman.:hrt:

For me the movie has very, very little redeeming qualities. First of all, its just not Batman for me , as they took out all the basic and core characteristics of the character (http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2012/04/common-core.html). Secondly, its just too childish and goofy in a lot of places. I dont mind goofy or campy moments, but this movie with the exception of a scene or two seems like movie solely for pubescent audience. Its too heroic. It has neither the dark drama of Waynes character like in Nolans movies, nor Gothic Phantom qualities of Burtons

You are such a falsifier. Your blog is worthless. Your selective reading is astonishing.

Your blog is full of ridiculous **** like

- Catwoman has always been portrayed as supernatural. Then you show a comic with a similar scene from the comics but you don't tell the readers that in this story Catwoman actually changed the bullets for blankets...

- the Joker is a notorious skirt-chaser (story taken out of context again) because he did in one story so Batman 89 is accurate.
[...]

Your page is full of this ****.

Please stop blogging. You just give people wrong ideas. Very wrong ideas.

Fact is, personality-wise Batman 89 and Batman Returns are SO wrong. But Batman not doing a bat silhouette in Batman Forever makes the character inaccurate. Heh.

I don't know.. are you doing this on purpose or do you just see the world in a very filtered manner?

You are such a falsifier. Your blog is worthless. Your selective reading is astonishing.

Your blog is full of ridiculous **** like

- Catwoman has always been portrayed as supernatural. Then you show a comic with a similar scene from the comics but you don't tell the readers that in this story Catwoman actually changed the bullets for blankets...

because that wasnt the point. The point of the example was that it was ambigous, not supernatural. Read slower. catwoman in BR isnt supernatural either, shes ambigous, like in early comics

As for Kilmer, its not about silhouette. Its about anger, darkness and nearly uncontrollable rage. Its about signature image of a bat, a person who lives in the shadows and moves, stands and acts like a bat

- the Joker is a notorious skirt-chaser (story taken out of context again) because he did in one story so Batman 89 is accurate.
[...]

I didnt say he was NOTORIOUS skirt chaser, I said he WAS chasing skirt and obsessing with girls in his OWn comic book written by Oneil. Again, dont twist it

Ill stop doing the blog, promise. But you stop posting your hateful propaganda

Last edited:
I saw an episode of Pawn Stars where someone brought in the pop-up riddle with the knights, swords and stuff. Up close, it really looked quite macabre compared to the lighter feel of the film. Riddler's "A God am I" was great; everytime I see this, I see soooo much potential wasted. :(

I don't think I've ever seen a Batman Forever arcade game!

I remember playing the sega genesis BF game and how much it sucked, it was hard and not fun at all.

A few days ago I posted in the Batman 89 thread a video somebody (ollyh82) edited that was a retrospective/review of Batman 89. He actually did a retrospective/review of BF first. But why did he once again (like he did at the end of his B89 retrospective video) use music from TDKR ("Imagine the Fire" this time)at the end of the video? The movies aren't even connected. I know it's his video and he can do whatever he wants with it, but I think he could've used music that was actually written for BF. Like he did most of the video. It doesn't even fit the movie.

[YT]_5TWWSqaj84[/YT]

Last edited:
Cons:
-Kilmer is the worst Batman.

Say whaaat?

Kilmer is the worst Batman? At least he PLAYED Batman. He pulled off the vibe, the edge, in his own way.

Meanwhile, George Clooney played.. George Clooney. He didn't even bother.

Pros:
-Cerebral and deeply psychological.
That's VERY generous. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member