The Official Batman TAS Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
06.jpg
Beyond out the "worst" design change was on The Joker. He didn't even resemble a human being anymore. I own a few animation cels of The Joker. One's from "Joker's Favor". Another from "Almost Got Him". A seller once offered me a cel of the newly designed Joker above from "Joker's Millions". I told him to keep it. This " was not" The Joker anymore, in my oppinion.
08.jpg
"Original Catwoman was purr-fect. New deign? "UGH, OUCH, and "UGH" AGAIN..:csad:
12.jpg
This was alright. I can understand it. However, never the biggest Scarecrow fan, either way.
13.jpg
I was never the biggest Penguin fan. That is, until TAS. The original design, although based upon Batman Returns, was awsome! It gave me all new respect and interest concerning this Batman villian. On the newer design? I know it pays tribute to Dick Sprang, but just didn't work for this show. Hated it almost as The Joker design. "Almost".

14.jpg
First Ivy, much better!
16.jpg
Yet another blunder in design change. Oh well..

I disagree with you on The Joker and The Penguin. I know, I disliked the design but they played around with the colors and it came well. Sometimes I liked the way it looked, mostly when he was on menacing mode. When he was calmed the animation came awkward. Missed the eyes (although looked cool on some parts) and red lips.

But with the Penguin, I loved how it was more Penguin-like. I never liked the monster version of him in the cartoon, his personality in TAS was more fitting with his TNBA design than the first one.

I like more the proto new Catwoman than the ultimate result. Then again I love TNBA as much as TAS.

Wow! I just got an e-mail saying my MOTP soundtrack was shipped today. That's incredibly fast, seeing as how I placed my order on Tuesday & the website gave March 31st as the shipping date. What a pleasant surprise!

Any of you guys get yours yet? I just got mine today, listening to the first few tracks. The book also gives commentary on each individual track. Very cool. And the CD itself looks extremely badass.

Oh, I love BTAS, it's absolutely brilliant. Actually, I shouldn't say loved, because it holds up VERY well. I got into Batman through BR and this show, so I have fond memories of tuning into Fox Kids after school for it regularly. I love the tone and the atmosphere, painting everything on black backgrounds and all that, and using Danny Elfman's themes as templates for Shirley Walker (and co.) to jump off and do their own thing - and R.I.P. Miss Walker, a great talent. The casting on the show was perfect too; whenever I read most Batman comics, Kevin Conroy's Batman, Mark Hamill's Joker, Richard Moll's Two-Face, Michael Ansara's Mr. Freeze, Efrem Zimbalist Jr.'s Alfred, Bob Hasting's Gordon, John Glover's Riddler, those are the voices I hear.

Here are my top 10 episodes (from 10 to 1): The Laughing Fish, Almost Got 'Im, Legends of The Dark Knight, Mad as a Hatter, Beware The Gray Ghost, Over the Edge, The Joker's Favor, Two-Face parts 1 & 2, Heart of Ice, and Mad Love

BTAS was Brilliant, this and Batman (89) is what got me into Batman, I just remember being amazed by that intro and of course the show itself. To this today I can still watch and be amazed by it, its easily the best Animated Version of Batman.

I never understood why the re-designed the riddler, he was in a very small sequence and that was it...

penguin re-design I think I would of liked more had it started the series.

Joker re-design i disliked alot.

Poison Ivy/Cat Womans didn't even feel like there counter-parts from TAS.

The rest I liked, killer croc was to crocodilish actually, much better in TAS where he was a FREAK!

I finally got a copy of the Complete Series DVD set that was discontinued! I've been searching online for a week or two now trying to find a set, and I finally got lucky! :applaud

I don't have the individual DVD sets, so it's awesome to be able to have them all in a single set.

My gripes with TNBA wasn't so much with the desings (Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze, and Penguin were improvements). The thing that bothered me is the lack of continuity in terms of the portrayals of Clayface and Mr. Freeze. They went from sympathetic, reluctant villans, to straight-out, moustache-twirling villains very suddenly (though Freeze was redeemed in Batman Beyond)

I think they were very well done...Clayface was always a bit of an *******, and after what happened to him, can you blame Freeze for turning completely cold like that?

I think Mr Freeze's made sense. I mean he had degenerated into nothing but a head. He couldn't return to his wife after she was finally cured. He literally lost all hope.

Before this he always had the hope of being with his wife again. And he still had a full body :hehe:

11.jpg

Mr Freeze had his own character arc over the course of the series. After his wife was cured and married her doctor, Victor had nothing left and wanted everyone to feel his pain (in Cold Comfort he did nothing but screw people over by taking away things they held most personal and dear) He's whole motif was "revenge" and in his TNBA episode it was revenge against the world, rather than 2 or three people. Bruce doesn't trust him in Batman Beyond's Meltdown (VERY good episode, I recommend it) because of the whole revenge theme and the fact the Bruce has been through this whole villain reformation thing before with Riddler, Ivy, Harley, Penguin (to an extent), etc...Arnold Wesker is the only one out of Batman's rougues who actually seriously went sane.

15.jpg

Clayface, was always kind of a jerk even as Matt Hagen if I remember right. He probably was stealing in Holiday Knights for a cure. Growing Pains he was just trying to get a piece of him back that went missing...He was in Justice League not really wanting to join Grodd's Secret Society if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
I've been watching the series again lately, and does anyone else think Lock-Up has serious potential? I mean here you have a villain who is truly feared by the others, and even if Batman locks him in Arkham that only gets him what he wants

lol I liked at the end when he was locked up in Arkham...kinda reminded me of Rorscach in prison only in a pathetic way.

"I can keep an eye on all of you, now!" :hehe:

I thought he was a cool villain. I don't know if he has A-list potential but he is an interesting rogue and I wouldn't have minded seeing him again.

I thought Lock-up character was great too, he matched Batman in every way.

Lock-Up has plenty of potential. The comic books have been using him, though lately, he has been shown as a "typical supervillain", rather than the totalitarian law enforcer he appeared in the series and his early comic appearances.

Now, if D.A.V.E. showed up in the comics, I'd be a happy camper.:cwink:

11.jpg

Mr Freeze had his own character arc over the course of the series. After his wife was cured and married her doctor, Victor had nothing left and wanted everyone to feel his pain (in Cold Comfort he did nothing but screw people over by taking away things they held most personal and dear) He's whole motif was "revenge" and in his TNBA episode it was revenge against the world, rather than 2 or three people. Bruce doesn't trust him in Batman Beyond's Meltdown (VERY good episode, I recommend it) because of the whole revenge theme and the fact the Bruce has been through this whole villain reformation thing before with Riddler, Ivy, Harley, Penguin (to an extent), etc...Arnold Wesker is the only one out of Batman's rougues who actually seriously went sane.

The beef I have is that in Sub-Zero, you kind of get a bittersweet "The End" feel. Victor is out there, but he's just glad that Nora's safe now. There's kind of a disconnect between the end of Sub-Zero and the start of "Cold Comfort."

Yes. The thing is, he wasn´t losing limbs because of his condition. And I also believe there was a Batman TAS comic that explained that gap.

He wasn't losing limbs as far as we know but I guess they decided overtime that he was deteriorating physically. Freeze being just a head did indeed prove to me that he was immortal (how did he go on without organs?). You o have to admit that his "redemption" in Batman Beyond was a GREAT ending for his character.

01.jpg

As much as the TNBA Joker design gets hate, they blended the best traits of both designs together to make pure gold. I just watched Mask of the Phantasm and I just remembered how good it was. Joker was incredible in the movie and they were really able to let his 90's censorship leash loose in the movie. They also let him kill more people in TNBA but they never say that the people are dead but it is kinda obvious when we don't see the people again.

The Joker Justice League Design (or more accurately Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker flashback design) is the ultimate animated Joker design. Period.

That design is incredible. Probably my favorite part about it is his nose. It's still exageratted but it's not a carrot coming out of his face like the first two designs. That always irritated the hell out of me.

I prefer TAS Joker. That was great Joker design.

Amen!

This was my favourite Joker design on the show. He just looked so evil.

He looked evil and yet STILL had the manic personality and the ability to look stupid
27.jpg

Love that Joker! The only bad thing about this design is that it came so late in the game, so we only got to see him for about 4 times looking his best. If in the future, they were to re-animate BTAS/TNBA with the current and final Joker and Penguin designs, I'd buy it...twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"