The Official Detective Comics Thread

and yet most of this thread is still being used to ***** about morrison instead of actually being on topic ...arent fanboys amazing?

And yet your posts in this thread are pretty much *****ing about it instead of actually contributing anything useful to the topic.

Anyway, for those unhappy with the Denny O'Neil issues, Dini and Nguyen come back Jan 7, then Neil Gaiman and Kubert in 853. That's as far as DC's solicits go.

And yet your posts in this thread are pretty much *****ing about it instead of actually contributing anything useful to the topic.

Lol...this coming from the guy who took a potshot at morrison in a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with him...why contribute when guys like you will just continuing *****ing about morrison anyway? I'd love to actually, i dunno, discuss dini's tec in the thread thats designated for it

Because there were problems a plenty with the anatomy and persepective. A page or a panel here or there didnt look to terrible but the odd page or panel does not a good artist make.

yes he lost his father figure and I think thati dea has lots of potential for a good story but jeeze was this not it. Gordon and Bullock coming off as if they have never even heard of Nightwing let alone ever saw him was stupid. That HAS to be some sort of continuity glitch. And like I said, the mistakes Dick made were just lame. Your honestly telling me that a man who has trained with Bruce since he was what? 10, and even with losing his father figure, would make half the mistakes he made? I dont buy it. They were just to "amature" if you know what I mean.

honestly, o neil hasnt written anything good in years....he was also a disappointment as bat editor, so all these complaints about his two issues arent surprising, imo

honestly, o neil hasnt written anything good in years....he was also a disappointment as bat editor, so all these complaints about his two issues arent surprising, imo

Ummm I don't know about dissapointment as bat editor. Yeah he greenlit some crap towards the end of his tenure but we still got a lot of great Batman stuff under his watch. The awesomeness of the silent issue from The Many Deaths of the Batman arc for example are things that probably wouldn't have flown past editorial if not for O'Neill.

For allowing stories like Tulpa, The Mud Pack, Master of Fear and Anarky and many other Grant/Breyfogle classics see the light of day I give the man his due. That being said the only former Batman editor that should be allowed to write any Bat family title anymore is Peter Tomasi and Peter Tomasi alone. O'Neill proved his out of his league when it comes to writing now a days he should just be happy with his legacy and leave it at that.

Ummm I don't know about dissapointment as bat editor. Yeah he greenlit some crap towards the end of his tenure but we still got a lot of great Batman stuff under his watch. The awesomeness of the silent issue from The Many Deaths of the Batman arc for example are things that probably wouldn't have flown past editorial if not for O'Neill.

For allowing stories like Tulpa, The Mud Pack, Master of Fear and Anarky and many other Grant/Breyfogle classics see the light of day I give the man his due. That being said the only former Batman editor that should be allowed to write any Bat family title anymore is Peter Tomasi and Peter Tomasi alone. O'Neill proved his out of his league when it comes to writing now a days he should just be happy with his legacy and leave it at that.

Sure, we got some great stuff, but the batbooks got bogged down with crossover after crossover and useless zero hour changes. Tomasi is ok...not memorable

Did anyone here read the newest comic yet? Jesus christ it was made of pure win. I loved the ending and i love how Hush is becoming so badass.

just read it... Paul Dini has made Hush incredible

spoilers please lol

Hush decides to end his life after he failed, he goes to the bridge where his father had died due to his engineering, he looks down the lake and thruout his insanity sees his parents laughing and mocking him, he jumps.

He finds out that he didn't die and 2 sailers had rescued him and recognize him as Bruce Wayne, Hush acts and gets 60 dollar loan from them and promises that Lucious Fox will reward him. The whole issue is an awesome story of how Hush is exploiting Bruce Wayne personality and even getting money out of his company thru minor company's that Wayne indrusty owns.

At the end of the issue while hes in Australia or somewhere, south america maybe i can't remember exactly now he gets attacked by a terrorist group led by... yep you guessed it, Catwoman. >:3 In 2 weeks we get to know what she has in store for him.

I found his Hush arc to be very forgettable.

I found his Hush arc to be very forgettable.

GASP.....how dare you bash the great and powerful dini!??!?!

Honestly, I agree...it was a nice cleanup of hush's origin...and thats about it. Nothin' groundbreaking...and the whole batman/catwoman "you're the love of my life" story felt contrived

Oh, Hush's origin was done...great, I'd say. But everything else...gah. Totally uninventive, uninteresting, and entirely forgettable. If only that really good origin and characterization of the character could have been transplanted into a better story.

Hush needs an insanely better origin. I wish he didn't feel like shoved in Wayne's history randomly.

I thought this ish was wonderful. I'll just forget the last one ever happened. :p

I prefer Heart of Hush to Loeb/Lee's Hush :wow:

I never liked Hush till Dini made him readable.

I liked the parts in jamaica and australia best in this issue Dini gives Hush a good voice.

I thoroughly enjoyed the latest issue. Dini definitely writes Hush alot better than Loeb.

Fantastic cliffhanger, too.

I wonder what Catwoman will do to Hush, i'd gues sa good scar or so to his face.

Oh, Hush's origin was done...great, I'd say. But everything else...gah. Totally uninventive, uninteresting, and entirely forgettable. If only that really good origin and characterization of the character could have been transplanted into a better story.

Dude--Hush nearly got killed by the Dinosaur and a Whirly-Bat. A WHIRLY BAT. That alone would make even the s**tiest arc at least somewhat readable.

the new issue was better than the early issues of HoH. I'm surprised that I actually want to keep reading about Hush now

Thank god for Paul Dini... He's perhaps the only writer I feel comfortable with tackling batman at the moment. Especially how fragile his comics appear to be at the moment.

mega bump

Detective Comics #854 was AWESOME! J.H. Williams III's layouts were incredible and Greg Rucka's writing was up to par, as always. The Question back-up, also by Rucka and drawn by Cully Hamner(who kind of reminds of Eduardo Risso, but not as good) was pretty good. For 4 dollars, you get a 24 page Batwoman story and an 8 page Question story, both of great quality. Both are seem to be well paced, aren't quick reads(which may make the issue feel like a waste of money) and seem to be building up solidly.

Batwoman - Thirteen crime coven in Gotham are waiting for their new leader to arrive. Batwoman wants her name and when she's showing up and where she'll be arriving. This is gonna be a weird, yet fun story. I expect Batman MIGHT show up, as he offers assistance if this thing gets out of hand. We'll see.

The Question - The Question, Rene Montoya, investigates an illegal immigrant's claim that his sister was kidnapped by the same man who smuggled him into the country. What Rene finds leads to more than just kidnapping. Seems like a story we've all seen plenty of times, but i always like them. Should be good. Can anyone tell me when Rene became The Question? I believe it's 54, but i'm not sure. Is it worth picking up?

Overall, this issue was solid. Worth the 4 bucks for 2 stories. Out of all the Bat-titles that have come out, this might be the only one i stick with. I loved it.

the art was good but im not really sure wut was going on... maybe it's my lack of knowledge on Katy Kane. But i'll give it a shot

Delicious art is extremely delicious.

This is the best book with "Bat" in the title I've read in a long long time.

the art was good but im not really sure wut was going on... maybe it's my lack of knowledge on Katy Kane. But i'll give it a shot

That's pretty much how I felt, too. I don't know anything about the Batwoman character and was a little bit reluctant to buy this issue--especially with the $4 price tag.

But, that being said, this issue was great. The art was awesome--especially some of page layouts, which don't look like anything else I've seen (except Williams' work on 'The Island of Mr. Mahew' story in Batman). And there were enough bits and pieces of character scattered throughout the story to make Katie Kane seem like somebody I want to learn more about. I liked her 'Alfred', too--that could be an interesting dynamic.

I wasn't really into The Question backup, though. (Even though I know more about Montoya than Kane).

My wallet won't let me buy every Bat-title every month, so I have do decide which ones I'm going forward with. This issue of Detective just made my decision a little more difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"