The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
SM3 was at the time one of the most disappointing movies I had ever seen but still gets a 6 for me,it has some truly embarassing scenes. I'd put it below the whole MCU which I love. SM2 on the other hand is still one of the finest CBMs around and SM1 is still awesome. Sam Raimi is a fantastic storyteller and I already forgot ASM minus Emma Stone. I'm so excited to see my favourite character in the MCU.

Last edited:
SM3 was at the time one of the most disappointing movies I had ever seen but still gets a 6 for me,it has some truly embarassing scenes. I'd put it below the whole MCU which I love. SM2 on the other hand is still one of the finest CBMs around and SM1 is still awesome. Sam Raimi is a fantastic storyteller and I already forgot ASM minus Emma Stone. I'm so excited to see my favourite character in the MCU.

That's an insightful way to put it. I've seen much worse cbms than SM3, but it was so disappointing because the previous films had set the bar high. The final product was still acceptable but, much like Ant-man, there were many disposable moments and trope characters that kept the film from being truly great.

It's a movie which has some incredible scenes,Sandman's birth,the action scenes,Peter getting the black suit,the Bugle stuff,it still has a clear arc for the character with a sense of closure for the whole trilogy,but I just can't get over some scenes that took me completely out of the movie. I'm sure Raimi's original movie would have been a worthy successor to SM2. Oh,I actually find Ant-Man a delightful 'little' movie,one of my favs in the MCU.

It's a movie which has some incredible scenes,Sandman's birth,the action scenes,Peter getting the black suit,the Bugle stuff,it still has a clear arc for the character with a sense of closure for the whole trilogy,but I just can't get over some scenes that took me completely out of the movie. I'm sure Raimi's original movie would have been a worthy successor to SM2. Oh,I actually find Ant-Man a delightful 'little' movie,one of my favs in the MCU.

That's why Ant-Man and SM3 reminded me of one another. Although both were ultimately good (not great), they each spent too much time winking at the camera. Nuggets of humor are fine, especially for Spidey/Pym's world, but extended periods of superfluous silliness just wastes opportunities.

I remember reading an interview with Molina about SM2 where he said something along the lines of "It isn't Shakespeare, but the worst thing you can do is not take the material seriously." It didn't matter that comic book Ock is a nearly-blind, tubby, mama's boy because Molina threw himself into the role and it was GLORIOUS. I agree with Molina in that that it never helps for a movie to apologize for any of its characters or mythos. Either do something or leave it out, but don't rush through with a blush.

Last edited:
Either do something or leave it out, but don't rush through with a blush.

i feel like this is a problem with many Marvel movies, not just Ant-Man... i hated the "we're fighting an army of robots and i'm a guy with a bow and arrow... none of this makes any sense" line in AOU. really took me out of the moment. i don't want a hawkeye that's embarrassed about the fact that he is hawkeye

Yeah I don't think you understood what he meant by that. It makes perfect sense in context

I still laugh at the rubber band joke.
It's silly and stupid, but Molina's delivery of it is so charming and entertaining.

Moviebob posted a "Really That Good Analysis on Spiderman 1 and 2. I think it's probably the best analysis on those two films. There's swearing and cursing, so can't post.

Last edited:
Moviebob posted a "Really That Good Analysis on Spiderman 1 and 2. I think it's probably the best analysis on those two films. There's swearing and cursing, so can't post.

I just watched that Moviebob video, defintely recommended. Highlights why the movies work so well and they're importance to culture and it's all pretty darn on the money I'd say.

I agree though, I'd love to see Sam back in the game. Feige did say he loved SM2 and is using that film as the barometer for the level of quality that they're shooting for with the new Spider-Man movie. Even if they brought back Sam as a consultant...that'd be stellar.

Just out of plain curiosity and not looking to debate, what films in the MCU are not as good as SM3?

Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The First Avenger, GOTG, Avengers: Age of Ultron.

The first Avengers movie reminded me of Spider-Man 2 in the best way: the story kept moving, the action was awesome and everyone was clearly enjoying themselves, both cast and BTS people.

Really Iron Man and GOTG not as good as Spider-Man 3?

Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The First Avenger, GOTG, Avengers: Age of Ultron.

That's pretty crazy. A case can be made for Thor 2 and maybe IM2 being on the same level as SM3, but I think it's quite a reach to suggest that all of those films are fundamentally "not as good" as SM3, personal preferences aside.

I found Ultron to be more disappointing than SM-3, in retrospect. The action all blurs together, especially the Hulk/Iron Man battle and the conveniently planned climax. None of the characters get much progression, especially the Natasha/Bruce pairing. Hawkeye's background was added solely because Renner wanted more screentime. And let's not forget Ultron: the most boring villain Whedon ever put on screen. At least Harry Osborn and Eddie Brock were hissable in SM-3.

IM, CA:TFA, and Thor are rather boring superhero origin stories. GOTG, apart from a few good jokes and a great soundtrack, didn't do anything for me. There's real passion in Raimi's Spidey trilogy, even one full of problems like SM-3 is. I can watch huge chunks of SM-3 and enjoy them more than the MCU titles I mentioned.

Listening to tracks from the first movie while reading old Lee/Romita era comics is fun, the soundtrack fit those stories.

I found Ultron to be more disappointing than SM-3, in retrospect. The action all blurs together, especially the Hulk/Iron Man battle and the conveniently planned climax. None of the characters get much progression, especially the Natasha/Bruce pairing. Hawkeye's background was added solely because Renner wanted more screentime. And let's not forget Ultron: the most boring villain Whedon ever put on screen. At least Harry Osborn and Eddie Brock were hissable in SM-3.

IM, CA:TFA, and Thor are rather boring superhero origin stories.

spider-man.jpg

Agreed with all except Guardians of Galaxy. I think that one of Marvel best.

I love the first Iron Man movie. I've seen it plenty of times, and it holds up just fine for me (and the last time I watched it was recently; near the time when Age of Ultron came out). Spider-Man 1 and Iron Man 1 are my favorite superhero origin movies.

I also think that Captain America: The First Avenger is an underrated movie. I love it! You know how the Raimi Spider-Man movies have those heartstring-pulling moments? I felt that CA: TFA had a boatload of those moments, too. Every darn time I watch the scene where Steve jumps on the "grenade" without hesitation, I fight tears.

The only MCU films I liked but didn't love were the two Thor's. And I agree Leenie TFA is vastly underrated. Cap's trilogy is going to be one of the most well-rounded after Civil War.

Talking about Raimi though, he focused so much on Peter's story and kept that part real personal. The spidey stuff was like the cherry on top

Awesome pic :applaud Kirsten looked so great in the first movie

-----------------

I prefer SM3 over a few MCU movies but It's hard to say whether its objectively better than those or not. And its hard to compare them because in my opinion the MCU feels inspired by the Raimi trilogy (intentionally or not), especially CA: The First Avenger which IMO has the same heart SM and SM2 have.

I love the first Iron Man movie. I've seen it plenty of times, and it holds up just fine for me (and the last time I watched it was recently; near the time when Age of Ultron came out). Spider-Man 1 and Iron Man 1 are my favorite superhero origin movies.

I also think that Captain America: The First Avenger is an underrated movie. I love it! You know how the Raimi Spider-Man movies have those heartstring-pulling moments? I felt that CA: TFA had a boatload of those moments, too. Every darn time I watch the scene where Steve jumps on the "grenade" without hesitation, I fight tears.

The only MCU films I liked but didn't love were the two Thor's. And I agree Leenie TFA is vastly underrated. Cap's trilogy is going to be one of the most well-rounded after Civil War.

Talking about Raimi though, he focused so much on Peter's story and kept that part real personal. The spidey stuff was like the cherry on top

I've always felt that Cap's films don't get the respect they deserve because they are inevitably colored by some viewers' feelings on nationalism, war, and possibly American politics as a whole. This is especially true to TFA since it was tied to historical events. I've often heard Cap comic book writers say he's a particularly difficult character to write due to these factors.

Back on the topic of the thread, I've come to feel that SM3 gets hit with a double standard. Some of the same people who think Peter's emo hair and Harry's costume were too cheesy don't have a problem with Ant-Man's climactic fight scene featuring a giant ant and Thomas the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"