Spider-Man The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - - - - Part 13

I miss when these movies felt like events. Even when the MCU was at it's peak, I still felt like we lost a bit of that feeling. I also feel like during that time, people didn't look back on these movies as fondly, and whenever I'd mention them I'd get looks like I was crazy. It actually annoyed me a lot because suddenly it also felt like this genre was now "cool"only because of the MCU.

For context, I had to hide my drawing notebook in school in order to not be mocked because I liked the Spider-Man films back in the early 2000s. With the MCU being as mainstream as it became, I resent the fact that so many suddenly jumped on the train because now all of a sudden it's the cool thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely a fan of the MCU and many of those movies were a dream come true, even if i started to feel a bit fatigued by 2017. But I felt like audiences had been conditioned by the MCU to the point where if it's NOT that, then it's invalid. Just look at the reaction by some to Raimi's style in Multiverse of Madness, which happens to be a top 5 MCU movie for me.

I should add that Nolans Batman trilogy is really what made it more "mainstream cool" amongst my peers. By high school, all anybody was talking about was TDK and rightfully so. But I was mainly reffering to Marvel movies of then and the MCU by comparison.

Sorry for the ramble. A lot of the Raimi movies talk brought back some personal memories from long ago haha.

Last edited:
The big laughs during the freeze frame at the end of the "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" scene took me right back there too.
Yeah my audience had the same reaction and it took my back to my first screening back in 2004. Surreal keeps popping back into my head seeing that I was 15 when the second film came out and now being 35 people having literally the same reactions now from back then lol.

I truly believe if they announced Spider-Man 4 with Tobey, Kirsten and Raimi returning it would generate more hype than whatever they're going to do with Tom Holland's fourth movie.

I'm not saying whether or not they should actually do that...it could be a careful what you wish for thing, but I just think right now there could be a bit of a zeitgeist shift happening. The box office of the rereleases, all the rumors and articles about it. I don't know. It just seems like where there's smoke there's fire here.

Oh hypothetically speaking, people would go ballistic with hype (me included). But stepping back and thinking on it, realistically speaking, Feige would not want Sony to make a fourth Raimi Spider-Man movie while he's getting his own Spider-Man 4 off the ground. That's the main thing that keeps me believing why it won't ever materialize.

Oh hypothetically speaking, people would go ballistic with hype (me included). But stepping back and thinking on it, realistically speaking, Feige would not want Sony to make a fourth Raimi Spider-Man movie while he's getting his own Spider-Man 4 off the ground. That's the main thing that keeps me believing why it won't ever materialize.

Which is why I thought the idea of a Raimi directing a "Spider-Man 4" that served as a fourth entry for both series could be a clever way to kill two birds with one stone, but people weren't digging that idea in the MCU Spidey section, haha. And I get that. But I don't know, I just think they have to strike while the iron is hot here. Marvel kind of let the genie out of the bottle with No Way Home.

I do genuinely believe we'll see Tobey again, but not in a Raimi Spider-Man 4. More than likely in Secret Wars whenever that comes out along with Andrew Garfield.

I also feel like during that time, people didn't look back on these movies as fondly, and whenever I'd mention them I'd get looks like I was crazy. It actually annoyed me a lot because suddenly it also felt like this genre was now "cool"only because of the MCU.

For context, I had to hide my drawing notebook in school in order to not be mocked because I liked the Spider-Man films back in the early 2000s. With the MCU being as mainstream as it became, I resent the fact that so many suddenly jumped on the train because now all of a sudden it's the cool thing.
I totally get this as I kinda felt this alot around the release of the first Avengers movie but honestly IMO it's better now than then. Don't get me wrong, there's a percentage that are basically annoying bandwagon types but there are plenty more that legit like this stuff and didn't know they'd be interested if not for the movies. In my previous job, I worked in an 9-5 office type environment and it really surprised me how often and open my coworkers were about talking about superheroes movies but also they wanted to know more. On several occasions, I would recommend comics for people to check out who had either haven't read comics since they were kids or in some cases never at all.

So my pov is I'm not gonna gatekeep anyone. If people love this stuff and think it's cool, I say don't care how you got to the party but it's great that you're here. I do agree with some of your other points about the movies feelings less and less like must see events. But hopefully they can turn things around going forward.

On one hand, you have spinoff movies for more obscure characters in Spider-Man's catalogue - including Morbius, Madame Web, Kraven, El Muerto, Silver Sable, etc.

On the other hand, you have Spider-Man 4 with the original crew, with Sam Raimi actively and vocally wanting to do.

Boy golly Sony has a tough choice to make.

On one hand, you have spinoff movies for more obscure characters in Spider-Man's catalogue - including Morbius, Madame Web, Kraven, El Muerto, Silver Sable, etc.

On the other hand, you have Spider-Man 4 with the original crew, with Sam Raimi actively and vocally wanting to do.

Boy golly Sony has a tough choice to make.
You're right the choice seems obvious. But like Spider-Fan and myself have speculated before, the deal between Sony and Disney must include some type of non-compete clause when it comes to using a live action Spider-Man.

I totally get this as I kinda felt this alot around the release of the first Avengers movie but honestly IMO it's better now than then. Don't get me wrong, there's a percentage that are basically annoying bandwagon types but there are plenty more that legit like this stuff and didn't know they'd be interested if not for the movies. In my previous job, I worked in an 9-5 office type environment and it really surprised me how often and open my coworkers were about talking about superheroes movies but also they wanted to know more. On several occasions, I would recommend comics for people to check out who had either haven't read comics since they were kids or in some cases never at all.

So my pov is I'm not gonna gatekeep anyone. If people love this stuff and think it's cool, I say don't care how you got to the party but it's great that you're here. I do agree with some of your other points about the movies feelings less and less like must see events. But hopefully they can turn things around going forward.
Thats awesome honestly and I agree. I do love seeing more people get into this stuff, and seeing The Avengers for the first time just put a huge grin on my face, especially with everybody applauding. I think I just wish I could have felt more open about my passion prior to the MCU. But hey, look where we are now!

In regards to the must see feeling, I will say that I am very excited for Deadpool and Wolverine. The trailer really made me more pumped and obviously Jackman's Wolverine was a fundamental part of my love for these films. He's from a defining era for me, and that's why he's the GOAT.

Tbh I’m only interested in Tobey Maguire coming back to the role if Raimi is at the helm. No Way Home & even The Flash to a certain extent proved to me that actors reprising their roles in other films made by a completely different team of filmmakers is no indication of quality. I was looking forward to No Way Home as well but watching it made me realize that just because the actors from the Raimi films are there doesn’t mean that the writing from those films is carried over, it doesn’t mean that the action is carried over, or the humor, or the creative camera work.

Obviously actors are an important ingredient to a film, but they’re just one aspect of it. At no point did I feel like I was watching the Raimi Peter Parker in No Way Home. Having Tobey Maguire say his old lines or recapping events from the Raimi trilogy just wasn’t enough to convince me that it was the same character.

As for Raimi’s Spider-Man 4, I’d like to see a fourth one since it sounds like Raimi wanted to makeup for the third film, but I’m sure Raimi & co. will be saying they’re open to it for years to come. If it happens great, I’ll be there opening day. However, if it doesn’t happen I still got what I consider to be my favorite superhero trilogy and those films aren’t going anywhere.

No Way Home was a nostalgia trip. A wonderful nostalgia trip, but that's it. It didn't really advance any of the characters from the other Spidey universes in any way. They were pretty much the same people. Except the villains all got magical cures.

Even Tobey's Peter telling the audience he and MJ worked things out wasn't anything new. The ending to Spider-Man 3 pretty much showed that.

If they had these in a theater closer to me, I would have gone to SM2. It's one of my favorite CBMs, but alas Sony didn't want my ticket, lol! Disney apparently does though cause the Alien re-release IS playing at the theater in question and I am going on Tuesday. Always wanted to see Alien in a theater, so I am excited.

No Way Home was a nostalgia trip. A wonderful nostalgia trip, but that's it. It didn't really advance any of the characters from the other Spidey universes in any way. They were pretty much the same people. Except the villains all got magical cures.

Even Tobey's Peter telling the audience he and MJ worked things out wasn't anything new. The ending to Spider-Man 3 pretty much showed that.
Ugh don’t get me started on that.

I guess my attitude is if I’m feeling nostalgic for the Raimi films I’d rather just watch the films themselves.

Long time, no post. I actually had the time to go see Spider-Man 2 in theaters this past Monday, and it was great. I didn't even know about the "Spider Mondays" until the day after the Spider-Man 1 re-release happened, so it's kind of a bummer I can't see the entire Raimi trilogy on the big screen for now, but right now I'm more than satisfied with just seeing my favorite film of the bunch.

It is absolutely surreal that Spider-Man 2 is 20 years old ... And 20 years later, it is still one of my favorite movies and hands-down my favorite Spider-Man movie (or comic book movie altogether, let's be real). I started a family in recent years-- my son is already a Spider-Man fan (he simply ADORES "Spidey and His Amazing Friends" and gets excited when he sees anything with Spider-Man on it). I'm excited for when he's old enough to watch these movies with me.

Seeing this movie on the big screen again ... It brought back a lot of memories of how I was when I was much younger (and how excited I would get with big event movies like this). Then, I remembered this site and how often I used to post on here. So ... If anyone around here remembers me, then ... Hi! Don't know if I'll regularly post around here again, but this site was in my thoughts recently.

I'm still as enthusiastic as ever about Spider-Man when I have the time to be (popping out kids and raising them kinda makes you busy-- but in a good way of course, haha).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"