Spider-Man The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - - - - Part 13

Saw Spider-Man 3 yesterday and it's an aright film but it's still flawed.
I managed to get the 2002 poster and the spider-man 3 poster but I didn't get the second poster since they ran out from the table. It's a pretty good experience and the audience were chill again.

I really wanted to rewatch these in the theater. My local theater, the one I originally saw them in back in the day, wasn't playing them. So I rewatched all 3 at home! I've gone on and on about what this trilogy has meant to me so many times over the years. Sincerity, romantic, earnest, ground real visual effects, excellent use of practical effects, and a legendary score. They don't make them like this anymore and, for me, they'll always be the best Marvel films.

I can't even begin to describe the feeling I had watching all 3 films in the theater again. "Magical" is probably the word that best describes it. The trilogy are my all time favorite movies. I'm really rather obsessed with them. Not only because they are wonderful,fun and heartfelt movies,but all 3 mean something to me personally. The early to mid 2000's were the happiest times of my adult life,and those movies had a lot to do with it. With each movie I saw,it was hard to keep the smile off my face. It really felt like I was transported back in time. What an amazing(no pun intended)experience! :spidey:

I know this is the Raimi thread but also caught Amazing Spider-Man in the cinema last night, and it's held up pretty well despite the cringy pop music/Twilight influences. Andrew and Emma are electric, and I always liked Martin Sheen and Sally Field as Uncle Ben and Aunt May. I ended up getting a ticket to ASM2, which is gonna be really tough at some parts, but all the action scenes along with the Spidey and Gwen scenes are worth the 5 dollar admission.

Now that the Raimi trilogy has passed my grand total of the re-releases was:

Spider-Man (2002): 5 times
Spider-Man 2: 3 times
Spider-Man 3: 3 times

The way I see it I finally got to makeup for all the theatrical rewatches I wasn’t able to have as a kid. I would’ve seen 2 & 3 more if I wasn’t working as much those weeks.

I still think this trilogy is a standout amongst the comic book genre. When you take a step back and view them from afar all three play as morality tales. Peter Parker is always put through the ringer physically and emotionally but he always comes out on the other end having learned an important life lesson.

I really like the Nolan Batman trilogy as well, and I’ve wondered if there’s another trilogy within the superhero genre that’s comparable to it. I honestly do think the Raimi trilogy is that. In both the Raimi and Nolan’s trilogies there’s always a theme at the center of the story that informs the main characters arc. I’ve seen people boil down themes in Nolan’s trilogy to Fear, Chaos, and Pain. For Raimi’s trilogy I think it’s Responsibility, Choice, and Forgiveness.

Post Raimi’s trilogy I think the Spiderverse films have been the main Spider-Man films I’ve enjoyed the most. However, in live action I’d love to see another filmmaker with love and passion for the character and his world be able to tackle this property with the creative freedom that Raimi had. Idk if that’ll happen again now that Spider-Man is a proven commodity.

I didn’t want to add this to the last post in fear of creating a small novella, but I did want to say that I still really like Spider-Man 3. It’s one of those films where even though I enjoy it, I understand the discourse surrounding it. I remember seeing it opening weekend witnessing the jazz club scene and thinking to myself “What were they thinking?”

It wasn’t until years later that I finally got the movie and began appreciating how much of a non-traditional arc it is for a superhero movie.

When I was in college I remember a teacher saying that the character arc of every film is about the peasant becoming a warrior, or something to that effect. We went down a list of films and almost all of them had this structure to it. Spider-Man 3 takes a completely different approach in that regard. I think it’s ballsy where Raimi took an iconic character like Spider-Man.

I will never not defend Spider-Man 3. I'm not saying its without flaws and I understand why people don't like aspects of it, but I still like it.
Same, and as I was saying before Spider-Man 3 actually has something to say and I think that message is very admirable to include in a superhero film. Like what other superhero film is there where the hero realizes his own faults and is able to forgive the villain? What other superhero film is there where the hero himself is the main villain?

Another thing that’s cool about it to me is that the Peter Parker from the first two movies doesn’t really appear until the third act of this movie. For the majority of the movie due to his pride & lack of empathy he’s behaving out of character. There’s a reason that the Peter Parker theme doesn’t appear in the score until he he goes to get his red & blue suit at the end.

I still have such a vivid memory of seeing all these movies in theater as child/teenager. The scene where Peter shoves MJ in the bar, a guy yelled "NO PETER NOOOOOOO!!!" which caused some of us to laugh. We still yell that occasionally lol.

I still have such a vivid memory of seeing all these movies in theater as child/teenager. The scene where Peter shoves MJ in the bar, a guy yelled "NO PETER NOOOOOOO!!!" which caused some of us to laugh. We still yell that occasionally lol.
The Raimi trilogy is one movie series where I’m glad I caught every entry upon release. Especially with that first movie it’s just hard to replicate the experience of seeing the very first Spider-Man movie for the first time.

The Raimi trilogy is one movie series where I’m glad I caught every entry upon release. Especially with that first movie it’s just hard to replicate the experience of seeing the very first Spider-Man movie for the first time.
I was pretty young when the first came out (around 9-10) and the Green Goblin jump scares got me every time. Especially when ole Gobby is pretending to be the old lady in the burning building lol!

I wish I could have gone to see at least one of these in theaters again, but life circumstances have shifted a lot the past fee years. Going to the movies with a one year old just isn't ideal for me or the people in the theater lol!

I was pretty young when the first came out (around 9-10) and the Green Goblin jump scares got me every time. Especially when ole Gobby is pretending to be the old lady in the burning building lol!

I wish I could have gone to see at least one of these in theaters again, but life circumstances have shifted a lot the past fee years. Going to the movies with a one year old just isn't ideal for me or the people in the theater lol!
I was also 10 years old when the first one came out. The jump scare that got me pretty good was when Harry finds Norman on the floor and it has the jump cut to Norman with his eyes rolled back. Only a handful of movies have caught me off guard with a jump scare to that degree.

I loved Spider-man 3 when I first saw it in the theater back in 2007 and I still love it today. Maybe even more. Is the film flawed? Sure. But in no way do I think it's bad or horrible. Hell,as great as they are it's not like the first two movie are flawless either. But it's still a damn good film with great action,emotional moments and a lot of heart behind it. It still focuses on Peter,Harry and MJ. Despite all the interference Sam Raimi had to deal with,he managed to put his spin on it and make a great movie. People always bring up the silly moments and "Bully Maguire," but everyone seems to forget just how dark some scenes are,and how nasty Peter acted with the symbiote. I wish there was more Venom and more explanations about the symbiote,but most of what I have are nitpicks. I think that over the last few years a lot of people have started to like it,but it still has that reputation of being a "bad movie," Hell,when I met Sam last month I told him I loved the movie and he jokingly said,"Yeah,you and my mom!" But I've always admitted that I'm a Raimi fanboy. The trilogy are,and probably will remain,my all time favorite movies...and that will always include part 3.

I still remember the San Diego Comic Con panel, first and only time I ever camped to get into Hall H and witnessed the Venom reveal. It was legendary.

The Raimi trilogy is top CMB cinema.

Sadly that I missed the Amazing re-releases. Emma and Andrew chemistry is top notch. ASM2, despite its flaw, and, despite knowing the tragic end of Gwen Stacy, still gets me emotional. They captured that moment perfectly.

I still remember the San Diego Comic Con panel, first and only time I ever camped to get into Hall H and witnessed the Venom reveal. It was legendary.

The Raimi trilogy is top CMB cinema.

Sadly that I missed the Amazing re-releases. Emma and Andrew chemistry is top notch. ASM2, despite its flaw, and, despite knowing the tragic end of Gwen Stacy, still gets me emotional. They captured that moment perfectly.

I had a notification on Facebook from my memories pop up from when I saw Amazing Spider-Man 2, I was so hyped after that film haha. I thought it was the best Spidey movie at the time. The friend I saw it with, comments on it every few years, asking why in the world I thought that. I honestly don't know, can't even blame drugs & alcohol
, I have never touched either of them lol.

That said, I watched it last night, and while it's not my favorite Spidey film (I think it's Spider-Man 2 at this point) it still has the best Spidey suit, and Garfield is great as a funny Spiderman/quirky Peter Parker. The villians are what kinda bring the film down a bit. Not necessarily Harry's actor, it's more of the design they went with for Goblin, it just looks ridiculous to me. And yeah, Gwen's death still hits pretty hard... no pun intended.

I always thought it was funny how much crap Spider-Man 3 got for the Bully Maguire scenes and everyone saying "this is too goofy" then some of those same people praised the Tom Hardy movies for getting Venom "right" even though the portrayal in those films is even goofier.

Honestly I think all 3 villain plots have strengths when judged on their own. Harry becoming a Goblin (even if his outfit is meh) is a logical step in his character arc after Spider-Man 2. Giving him amnesia feels a bit eh but considering all the other stuff in this film they had to get him out of the way for an hour somehow. Making Sandman the killer of uncle Ben is controversial and I'm not necessarily a fan of retcons, however I do like Sandman as a villain, you get that scene with his daughter, and I think the final scene between him and Peter where he is forgiven is one of the most emotionally resonant across the whole trilogy. Venom while shoehorned does have the type of arc you would expect. Say what you want about Topher Grace but I think he plays a good 'sleazy' version of Peter Parker and Venom is what Peter would be if he didn't have the whole "with great power comes great responsibility" mentality. I think the symbiote story itself works well for the themes of the movie where Peter loses control.

The biggest issue really is putting all of this stuff into one movie and undercooking some of the storylines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"