The Official 'I Still Love Ang Lee's Hulk' Thread - Part 1

^I love that fight as well, its a great location, and while the poodle is a bit silly I do love the fight in general, and how feral Hulk gets in it at times. I especially love the part were one of the dogs bites him and he grabs its leg and bites it back!

Ang Lee's Hulk is much better than The Incredible Hulk (mediocre CBM with a mediocre Edward Norton). Would have loved to see a sequel.

I've said it a million times and i'll say it a million more, AngHulk 2 with Grey Hulk would have been awesome.

^Ang Hulk 2 full stop would have been amazing, I watched Hulk again last night, thats twice in a month and though I have seen it countless times I still love it every-time I watch it. I cant think of another CBM thats as re-watchable as this.

Also, the final fight continues to grow on me, I hated it when I first saw it in 2003, but after watching the movie again a few times I learned to appreciate it and that has just grown and grown over the years. It was a unique way to explain that Hulk's power was limitless, Hulk giving his power David as he asked, David wants to absorb it all so he can finally get his dream from when he younger of going beyond God's boundries (sp?), but he doesnt realise that there is no limit to Hulk's power until its too late. And thats what I loved in general about the movie, it found unique ways to delve into and explain the Hulk and Banner.

I felt the final climax was too cerebral-- the freezing, becoming a cloud/deluge, the "give me your power", then here come the missiles/bombs-- too much for me. Full disclosure, I read the Peter David novelization, which gives a whole lot more exposition (on various fronts), and for me made the climax more enjoyable-- but just on-screen, as is, I couldn't get into it. I felt it would have been best if David had settled on becoming some kind of hybrid monster, part rock/stone/metal/liquid, that would have been a more satisfying fight, to give the Hulk a more definitive physical victory instead of the one depicted.

Well thats you, I am never bored when watching Hulk even 10 years later and I have watched it A LOT, I liked the drama in the movie and love how much it delves into the psyche of Banner and Hulk.

The problem is the GA dont know how complex a character the Hulk is, the movie didnt do anything they havent explored in the comics, but as you said they just expect to see Hulk smashing stuff up. I personally love how deep Hulk got into the character though.
I understand but it was too soon.For instance let the GA see that movie now after they got IH and Avengers.They got the smashing out of their system.
Its only natural you see a Race car and someone takes you for a drive.
You see all that muscle your first reaction will be lets see how fast this baby goes.Anyone would You see him big green and powerful.Your thinking lets go smash lets see what this baby got.Not lets look into his mind.You see Batman all dressed in Black like a Black limo your not going to say lets see how fast this baby can go your going to say lets cruise.My favorite fight scen in any of the Batman Thrilogy is when he first battles those guys in the warehouse.In BBegins.When he kept popping in and out and you didnt see him.I loved it.I wish there was more of it.It was Dark and creepy.

The last fight was problematic because I couldn't tell what the hell was going on. TIH was a BETTER film, but still not a perfect Hulk film. The best kind of Hulk film would combine the good elements from both Lee and Norton's movies, and make the Hulk more intelligent, like EMH did.

The last fight was problematic because I couldn't tell what the hell was going on. TIH was a BETTER film, but still not a perfect Hulk film. The best kind of Hulk film would combine the good elements from both Lee and Norton's movies, and make the Hulk more intelligent, like EMH did.

Agreed, the first time I saw it was hard to keep track of. The last time I watched it though I was actually impressed, for a lot of the reasons JAMON has mentioned. Pretty unique uses of the villains abilities, especially compared to what he showed before in the film, going into the cloud and water. It was neat to see Hulk struggling against a foe that could take an unsmashable form.

Agreed, the first time I saw it was hard to keep track of. The last time I watched it though I was actually impressed, for a lot of the reasons JAMON has mentioned. Pretty unique uses of the villains abilities, especially compared to what he showed before in the film, going into the cloud and water. It was neat to see Hulk struggling against a foe that could take an unsmashable form.

Yep, it was interesting seeing something Hulk had to use his mind to defeat, rather than just smashing, plus the psychological aspects of the fight between father and son just make it really interesting, throw in some eye candy as the scene looks gorgeous and it makes for a very good and very under-rated fight scene.

Plus, anyone who couldnt see it, buy/rent/borrow the movie on blu-ray and watch it on a modern TV, you can see everything no problem.

This reminds me to watch the movie again. I still love it after all these years, and it looks like that will never change.

thanks for posting this thread...i did love the hulk. must rent tonight! woohoo!

This reminds me to watch the movie again. I still love it after all these years, and it looks like that will never change.

Same here, I still watch it every 5 months or so, and it still amazes me even to this day. Great film.

I do think that if the movie was released today it would be better recieved than in 2003.

Same here, I still watch it every 5 months or so, and it still amazes me even to this day. Great film.

I do think that if the movie was released today it would be better recieved than in 2003.

I love the film but I bet it would be poorly received.

It still has the same "problems", no simplistic distinction between good guys and bad guys, ambiguous ending, and a complex portrayal of the main character.

It still has the same "problems", no simplistic distinction between good guys and bad guys, ambiguous ending, and a complex portrayal of the main character.

Didn't Spider-Fan just warn you about this kind of **** in another thread? Knock off the thinly veiled attacks at people who like different things than you.

Didn't Spider-Fan just warn you about this kind of **** in another thread? Knock off the thinly veiled attacks bat people who like different things than you.

Ang Lee's Hulk is broadly acknowledged as a complex film, and it was said in some reviews at the time that it would be too complex for its target audience.

Ang Lee's track record and success since that movie speaks for itself. 2 oscar nominations for best director, considered among the best emergent directors.

And I don't know what a "bat person" is.

x2VcnsB.gif

In all honesty we dont know how it will be recieved, but the CBM's of today are more like Hulk than any other CBM that came out around 2003.

:up:

Are they?

Which come close?

The Nolan Batman movies, MOS as well, they are very similar to Hulk in that they actually delve into what makes the heroes tick rather than putting them on the screen. Also, the non-linear story-telling as well as a lack of humour.

They go deep into the psyche of the hero as well, I would even put the TASM movies in the same vein though they are quite different as well. The last 3 X-Men movies also as they all really explore their character beyond what other movies were doing 10 years ago.

Yeah I think it's easily apparent that Hulk was ahead of its time.

I had no problems with the movie wanting to explore some of the psyche, but Ang didn't know when to stop. That mist scene was all kinds bad.

The desert army battle is still one of the greatest CBM action scenes ever. TIH's Hulk vs army fight was no comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"