The Official 'I Still Love Ang Lee's Hulk' Thread - Part 1

I finished watching Transcendence tonight. How ironic that Jennifer Connelly's husband, Paul Bettany (J.A.R.V.I.S. and soon will be the Vision) should co-star in a film that I feel shares many qualities with Ang Lee's Hulk.

Throughout both plots it's held into question whether or not the hero's personality was still intact. Fortunately, we eventually see that the heroes' love for their significant other has always been the anchor that keeps them true. Unfortunately the protagonists are undergoing 'growing pains' in their transformations. Any loving relationship will suffer strains with change. But I think we need to see the significant other also change as well if they choose to stay.

I don't know if Marvel ever plans to have Red She-Hulk ever re-ignite her love with Bruce Banner. But I think it's a missed opportunity to see how Bruce would cope with Betty's own changes. If Ang Lee ever shot a sequel to his Hulk I'd like to see how Betty would have changed as well.

Last edited:
In retrospect, I think this is a good movie & not nearly as bad as some will or have tried to make it out to be. Some scenes (like the beginning sequence) drag on for too long, but if this movie had of been slimmed down I think it would've worked a lot better.

All in all though, taking it into account as it is, I like watching it from time to time. It has real substance & emotional weight, and the CGI is still superb...even 11 years later.

Amazing movie and, as some have said, a bit ahead of its time.

Yeah I think it's easily apparent that Hulk was ahead of its time.

:up:

The desert army battle is still one of the greatest CBM action scenes ever. TIH's Hulk vs army fight was no comparison.

Agreed, still gets my blood pumping like not many action scenes can do today. I feel it is still the best Hulk action scene we have had on film. He was great in Avengers, but after a few re-watches you realise he is barely in it.

That's true. Mark Ruffalo was quoted as saying we'll be seeing more Hulk in the next Avengers, though, that's good news. :yay:

^Yeah I read that, hope its true, as his part in TA wasnt very big at all. As a big Hulk fan, I want to see him as much as possible.

I think they may go the current comic route and do some of the Indestructible arcs.

Maria Hill basically made Banner a Shield agent/scientist and use Hulk as a living bomb whenever they have something that needs smashing.

Marvel is really into the idea of the Hulk, both in the regular and ultimate universe, as the ''nuclear option''.
I thought the execution on Indestructible Hulk was mediocre, but things are getting better on Hulk.

I very much liked the scenes with the split panels like in comic books, I thought that was creative and would like to see it again.

^Same here, I still love it now, and would like to see another CBM to try it again at some point.

^The score for Hulk is superb, one of Elfman's best IMO, it fits so well with the movie.

I just dont get the complaint about bad CGI when it comes to Hulk, never have, never will.

Even today, most of the cgi still looks great.

^Especially the Hulk himself, and the whole desert fight scene, everything there is good by todays standards let alone 11 years ago!

^I still watch Hulk around 2 or 3 times a year, still love it. TIH I dont watch as frequently, but once a year probably.

Upgraded my blu ray copy to 4K, and man this movie pops in that format. Well worth a re-visit for any fans of the movie still here.

The movie itself still has an impact also, I love that it goes into the deeper aspects of Bruce Banner and The Hulk, that mirror scene alone says so much about the rivalry between both, it’s a shame it’s never been explored again. I was hoping we would get something along those lines in Endgame after what happened in IW, but I guess they didn’t have the time.

Maybe in She-Hulk we can get some flashbacks for Bruce like what WandaVision is doing for Wanda.

Ang Lee pretty much did what Immortal Hulk is doing now.

Ang Lee pretty much did what Immortal Hulk is doing now.

Yeah, I feel like Al Ewing is doing what Lee did but more successfully. Going into the psycho drama but still retains the tenets of what makes Hulk fun. It's a better balance. But I still think Lee's attempt is admirable and has value.

Just cut out ten minutes of that first act and I think that might have been the answer to your problems. I don't think it still would have been a crowd pleaser like Spider-Man, but I don't think it would have turned people off so strongly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"