The Official Mike Dougherty & Dan Harris Thread

Discussion in 'Superman Sequels' started by Retroman, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. igotatromboner

igotatromboner Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but when was the last time anyone complained about Spielberg or Williams? Probably Spielberg's 1941 right? Singer and company aren't even on that level so don't even compare them. I'm fine for people working together more than once, but they need to consistently bring some good ideas to the table. Superman Returns had a lot of stupid crap in it, X2 had a lot of crap in it, and the next project they work together on will have a lot of stupid crap in it.

2. Freddy_Krueger

Freddy_Krueger Well-Known Member

In your opinion. Regardless, my point remains the same: directors have certain people they are more comfortable working with--whether they be writers, cutters, composers, actors, what have you. Singer likes working with Dougherty and Harris and will probably continue to work with them in the future.

Whether you like it or not.

3. igotatromboner

It's guys like you that confuse me. How could you be content with what was put on screen with SR? Those three guys have consistently underwhelmed me. Do you honestly like the crap they do overall. I only see little bits and pieces of cool in their movies.

4. KaptainKrypton

KaptainKrypton Well-Known Member

He liked the movie. He was content with it because it entertained him. You consider it crap, he doesn't. I personally HATE musicals and think they are the most retarted thing in cinema. That doesn't invalidate that many others like Grease (much to my chagrin). You may see little bits and pieces of cool, but in other circles, people enjoyed the experience on a grander scale. Hopefully, you'll be more entertained with the next outing.

5. Maze

Maze Proud AquaMomoa inventor

I'm not sure that you realize ( but i could be wrong) that i could tell you the exact same things but ..reversed.

That kind of dialogue goes nowhere.

6. bosef982

bosef982 Well-Known Member

Since when did David Goyer become a good writer? Last time I checked, when left to his own devices, his movies tend to suck...

Doughtery and Harris all the way.

7. bosef982

I thought SR was beautifully written.

8. bosef982

Oh, you were a lost cause before you even starting posting. X2 is considered one of the greatest comic book movies ever....

Sigh...

9. Mr. Socko

Mr. Socko Well-Known Member

By who? You.

Anyone could consider any the greatest movie ever.............................

10. igotatromboner

How does anyone that calls themself a Superman fan, and by that I mean someone that reads the comics, accept Superman Returns? Routh pulled off Clark really well, but his Superman left something to be desired. Bosworth was just lazy casting for Lois. You'd think guys that were fans of Lois would know she knows how to fight. "Uh oh, a big scary henchman is coming to beat me up. Let me fall like a helpless victim and hopefully someone saves me." Yeah, that made sense to me too. The kid was something that nobody wanted, and very few people liked. Let's let Superman almost die because of a kryptonite shank in the guts, but later have him lift an entire continent made of kryptonite. Yeah, that made sense to me to. Ooh, we should have Lex Luthor wear wigs and have the lamest evil plan ever. Yeah, because I know I'd want to live on a big, dark, and ugly crystal continent too. Yah, the movie was beautifully written, too bad logic wasn't included.

11. bosef982

You people are just so boring. Its sort of sad. Go read a comic book. Leave the adults to decide the good movies -- or at least rational adults.

12. Freddy_Krueger

God, you're condescending. Did it ever occur that someone who enjoys reading Superman and Action Comics monthly get something out of the character differently than you do?

13. igotatromboner

Well **** guys, I'm sorry that I like the characters that have been written over the years, not the characters put on screen with Superman Returns. I read the comics, I've watched the cartoons, I've experienced all different versions of Superman through different kinds of media, and what Superman Returns had on screen were not the characters I've been presented with over the years and I was disappointed. I'm sorry I prefer the big blue boy scout and the smart ass Lois that isn't completely helpless, and the Lex Luthor that isn't an evil real estate engine. Sorry, that the comics and the cartoons brought me up to believe that Lex was an evil genius/ businessman and not some crazed ass with a stupid plan.

14. Mr. Socko

There is still hope :up:

I completely agree.

Lex is an evil real estate tycoon who builds a continent made of rocks! Genius!

Nolan used tons of good Batman comic material to influence Batman Begins and you see how well it turned out. He didn't make a lame distant sequel of a movie that was made nearly 3 decades ago because that doesn't know anything about the character.

15. igotatromboner

Thank you for your support of logic.

16. WormyT

WormyT Well-Known Member

"I'm always around.."
    "WRONG!"

With all due respect just what part was beautifully written?!
    You realise this was a Superman movie and Superman said practically nothing in the whole movie. Last time I checked my comicbook collection Superman is NOT a mute alien. He speaks quite a bit.
    Superman Returns was a dull, boring story, poorly concieved, poorly written, poorly acted and poorly directed. And if WB doesn't do something quick, we may not see another Superman movie for another 20 years.

17. Mr. Socko

Any back to the writers.

Singer>>>>>>>>>>Dougherty & Harris

18. igotatromboner

But Singer comes with Dougherty and Harris so how is he greater?

19. Mr. Socko

Poison Ivy: Every Singer action figure comes complete with Dougherty & Harris!

20. Freddy_Krueger

I read comics, watched the cartoons, seen a few George Reeves episodes and seen all the Reeve movies.

Guess what? My idea of who Superman is is no better than yours and vice versa. To say that we don't understand who he is is very condescending.

By the way, I would like to point out that prior to Superman: The Movie, Luthor was merely a one dimensional evil scientist. It's because of Superman: The Movie, which had Lex interested in a business (real estate) that comics went and had Lex build half of Metropolis (which *gasp* requires a love for REAL ESTATE!).

21. igotatromboner

Poison Ivy? I walked out of SR itchy but what does that have to do with Uma Thurman?

22. Substance D

Substance D Well-Known Member

23. Mr. Socko

Who directed Imaginary heroes and what is it?

24. Substance D

Substance D Well-Known Member

dan harris, and apparently it's a really ****ty movie.

25. Showtime

Showtime Your Friend In Time

I liked it, and what is wrong with slasher flicks? They are a staple in the movie industry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.