The Official Musical Theatre Thread II - Part 2

My first few times sitting in the dress circle, I began to notice how much spitting is involved in live theatre.

oh lord, now i'm going to be looking for that...

i know it's not a musical theatre thing technically, but i just got back from seeing The Greatest Showman and i really enjoyed it.

yes, i know a ton of it was dramatized, or depicted out of order, and some characters are fictional, while others are based on real people, and the movie wasnt perfect, but it was a lot of fun.

the musical numbers were pretty top notch.

Took my son to see his first broadway play in November. He's been begging to go to NYC so I figured I'd surprise him with tickets to see Spongebob Squarepants, he really liked it. It was way better than I thought it would be.

tumblr_p1tptgBz291s7llu3o1_1280.jpg

I was able to see The Book of Mormon recently, which I had actually never seen. Damn good show and production. I thought it was funny how the dude playing Elder Price was basically doing a spot-on impersonation of Andrew Rannells in terms of his singing and speaking.

i saw Les Miz twice this week. loved it

i don't know what it is about those drums, but i get a tear in my eye every time those drums start with Do You Hear the People Sing lol

I was able to see The Book of Mormon recently, which I had actually never seen. Damn good show and production. I thought it was funny how the dude playing Elder Price was basically doing a spot-on impersonation of Andrew Rannells in terms of his singing and speaking.

I’ve been meaning to see that for years, but it’s never happened.

Going to see Chess on Valentine's Day, listening to the soundtrack to get ready.

Going to see Chess on Valentine's Day, listening to the soundtrack to get ready.

Cool. I saw the Craig Revel Horwood version in its unsuccessful pre-Broadway tryout in Toronto. It was actually quite good, it helped rekindle my interest in musical theatre.

hey all. i saw Beautiful; The Carole King Musical wednesday night and somehow I ended up scoring myself front row, center seat :up:

i've been a big Carole King fan as long as I can remember, and i've been interested in the show since i first heard about it even being a thought of a show. i almost went to see it about 3 hours away a year or two ago, but when i heard we were getting it here, i decided to wait, and just splurge for a better seat. i couldn't ask for a better seat lol.

the woman playing Carole was really great, and at times, she really really sounded like King. So Far Away was the first song in the show, and my favorite so i took that as a good sign lol. The actress playing Cynthia Weil was very funny and had great timing and i thought she and the Barry Mann actor had good chemistry.

After the show I met the actors playing Barry and Gerry in the foyer, and that's the first time I've ever had the opportunity for that because our venue does not have a Stage Door thing. They were raising money for Broadway Cares and had buckets they were collecting donations with. I got a photo with Andrew Brewer, who played Gerry and he was amazingly nice. He even took the photo for me with my phone because I'm still recovering from surgery and I can't lift my arms. I look like crap in the photo cuz it was my first time really out since the surgery, but I don't care. I had a good time :up:

It was kinda cool to see these writer/composers working on these songs, while living their lives, and then it cutting to the artists singing them.

my favorite part of the show might've been the night Gerry came home from work and worked on lyrics the whole night, falling asleep on the couch after finishing it up. It was a big deal because they were struggling and needed to sell a song and their boss was taking the first song her heard that he liked.
So Carole comes in to wake him up in the morning, finds him sleeping on the couch with the finished lyrics on his chest and walks over to the piano to try it out. She's testing out the melody to match his lyrics and when you hear her sing "tonight, you're mine... completely", there was like this big "oh" gasp throughout the audience as everyone realized this is it, this is the song that changed their lives. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow ended up going to the Shirelles and went to #1 and the rest is history. That was a very cool moment to experience with the crowd, but also for me, because I was a big fan of the Shirelles when i was little and my parents used to listen to Motown all the time.

Last edited:
also, they just revealed what shows we will have next season:

Something Rotten
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Rent
Wizard of Oz
Finding Neverland
The Lion King

Miss Saigon is going on a national tour starting later this year and we are on the list! but it would probably be 2019-2020 at the earliest i'd imagine. but yay all the same

Last edited:
also, they just revealed what shows we will have next season:

Something Rotten
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Rent
Wizard of Oz
Finding Neverland
The Lion King

Miss Saigon is going on a national tour starting later this year and we are on the list! but it would probably be 2019-2020 at the earliest i'd imagine. but yay all the same

Def. see Something Rotten. It's a blast; it's to musicals what Deadpool is to superhero movies.

Totally digging Jesus Christ Superstar Live. So far, it seems to be the best of the recent run of live broadcast musicals.

Meant to share this last month, but I won free tickets to The Wiz at Ford’s Theatre. It wasn’t bad. That’s obviously not a glowing review, but I did have a good time.

My latest acquisition from my latest trip to NYC.

20180402_205318.2.jpg

Last edited:
Totally digging Jesus Christ Superstar Live. So far, it seems to be the best of the recent run of live broadcast musicals.

It was SO good.

I even pre-ordered the cast recording, which I've never done for any of the other live TV musicals. In fact, I've never looked to see they even did recordings of them before.

Having John Legend work the live crowd was such a meta moment, he really was the right choice for that role.

OMG, everyone here has to watch the lobster sketch from SNL this week. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"