The Official Musical Theatre Thread II - Part 2

Saw Rent for the 3rd time on April 28th. Went with two friends who are die-hard Rentheads and we made tshirts for the event.

Had pretty good seats. The group of 4 sitting in front of us did not return after intermission so our view got even better. They were older and dressed to the nines and honestly, i dont think they knew what they were getting into.

As for Superstar, I DVRed it, and I've watched the first part so far. Really liked Sara Bareilles version of I Don't Know How to Love Him a lot

Went to see Anastasia last week, and loved it!

i want to see that one. it's on my list

Was in NYC at the beginning of April, saw the Band's Visit and Carousel there.

Will be seeing the Toronto sit-down production of Fun Home on Friday, I heard it's pretty good.

The last show I saw was An American in Paris. I ended up thinking it was great but I honestly didn't think I would feel that way beforehand cause I don't usually go for light-hearted shows.

My feelings about AAIP are mixed. I will have to say, it's gutsy for them to have an extended dance sequence like that.

My feelings about AAIP are mixed. I will have to say, it's gutsy for them to have an extended dance sequence like that.

Agreed. Honestly, I sort of see it as the reverse of CATS in terms of choreography cause CATS is mostly singing and some dancing and AAIP is mostly dancing with very little singing.

My favorite musical, though, is Cabaret. Especially the 1993, 1998, and 2014 productions.

Tony winner Katrina Lenk. :hrt::hrt::hrt::hrt:

I want her to impregnate me with her seed so I can carry her child.

i really enjoyed seeing the drama students from the school singing Seasons of Love. it was also great to see how it touched so many of the people in the audience. it was such a great moment and message

and because i have to make the joke, Mean Girls got a lot of nominations and no wins, so...
and none for Gretchen Weiners!

:rimshot:

Happy for Once on this Island. :)

Bands Visit was a fine show...

Yeah, it was kind of a weak year for musicals, IMO. The revivals were more interesting than the new ones; there was a lot of content catering to the family/abused-drama-teen market, which I think was behind the increase in revenues overall but also happily split up the mainstream/road production vote three ways and allowed Band's Visit to get the awards it deserves.

Got Frozen tickets for next year.
I can't believe that it took me a year to see this.

But, after seeing some of these "shows" at Disneyland and Disney World and I think personally, anyone trying to emulate Menzel had really huge shoes to fill, we were very pleasantly surprised on how much we enjoyed the show. The effects were outstanding and the audience was very into it.

So a bunch of the audience near my side, were going crazy over a few of the Bachelors from the Bachelorette being in the audience, meanwhile Beyonce and her family were upstairs and we were all oblivious.

Didn't even know but in hindsight, there was a ton of security there.

Next up Harry Potter and Cursed Child.

Last edited:
I have a carefully curated, rules-based playlist on my phone of 153 musical theatre songs. :woot:

I’m seeing Carousel next weekend. I saw the last revival at Lincoln Center in 94/95ish. It was the first time I ever saw Audra McDonald and she was so amazing.

This summer, I finally saw Hello Dolly! and it was the happiest thing I’ve ever seen and I’m so glad I got to see it. I also saw Once on This Island, which was a lot of fun.

One of my theater-nerd friends is here this weekend, so last night we saw My Fair Lady, which was really good, and I was surprised at how the ending plays out now. This afternoon we saw Straight White Men, and through some totally unexpected circumstances got to go backstage after the show (!!).

And tonight we saw Mean Girls. I’ve never seen the movie (I know, I know), and I wasn’t particularly interested in seeing the show, but omg, it was hilarious! I was pleasantly surprised with that one.

Next month I’m seeing Harry Potter. My sister saw it last weekend and was pretty blown away, so I’m looking forward to it.

I took my son to see the Spongebob Musical one last time. It was the understudy for Spongebob and it just wasn't the same, but Patrick made up for it.

I took my son to see an amazing production on Friday of Little Shop of Horrors at the University Maryland Clarice theater. Loved the set and Audrey's costumes were great.
43158650_2252373091661361_8254421925908971520_o.jpg

Oh cute!

I'm seeing Megan Hilty in Little Shop next week at The Kennedy Center!

:hrt: Political correctness aside, that's a fantastic production.
I didn't enjoy it. None of the songs stuck with me. And I felt no chemistry between Julie and Billy. I really didn't feel anything was likeable. But I do agree that Broadway is trying very hard to be too diverse when your title character and your understudy are both Black.

I didn't enjoy it. None of the songs stuck with me. And I felt no chemistry between Julie and Billy. I really didn't feel anything was likeable. But I do agree that Broadway is trying very hard to be too diverse when your title character and your understudy are both Black.

Lol, by PC, I wasn't referring to Joshua Henry (in fact, it's kind of bravely un-PC to cast a black man in that role opposite a white actress). I was referring to the content of Carousel in general, and its very light treatment of domestic violence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"