The Official PS4 Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony needs to think this through.

If gamers even suspect greed is the motivation for no BC the backlash could be fatal.

Remember netflix and Sony cannot afford to lose further ground to Microsoft.

another reason why Sony should keep PSN free ( or free for the most part ).

they might add a download from the psn store to play your old games. like they had with the old ps2 online data.

they might add a download from the psn store to play your old games. like they had with the old ps2 online data.
Wasn't that PS2 system data on the PSN store just for the original phat PS3s that had backwards compatibility? I think it was just a small download requirement or something. I remember downloading it on my slim thinking it would play PS2 games afterwards but it didn't.

ITT: People have no idea how expensive the PS4 would be if it were backwards compatible.

I'm just not sure when I can even think about making the full transition. My PS3 collection is huuuggge. Why can't I be able to play these games on the PS4? I'll only be frustrated if they're still allowing PSOne compatibility on the PS4, then I'll just be like, "Really?"
The PS3 was BC at first right? But didn't they stop that once the slim came out. I know they came with a "solution" by having you buy PS2 classics on PSN, but it is weird that they are asking people to do that again.

Well, you still have your PS3.
The way I see it, if you already have a PS3, you have nothing to worry about, just as long as it doesn't break.

The real problem that I can see is that there are people right now who are stuck on the fence on whether they should get a PS3 now, or wait for a PS4. The issue there is by waiting, you miss out on so many games, so it's very risky of Sony.

Won't miss out IF that person is into streaming/downloading,I personally am not into digital stuff that much But being able to play games&stuff while downloading them and the "free to try"option really is a HUGE PLUS to me.

I saw this great tweet that said "The best console, the SNES, was not backwards compatible." I gotta say, I understand why people would be upset, but its not like Sony is required to make it that way.

It also makes me wonder if the reason for this is because the tech simply wouldn't allow it to. I mean, like they wanted this super powerful system and in order to get that, they needed to cut back on some things from the PS3, and this was just one of them. If that's the case, I don't mind, but I feel like a lot of people are assuming that Sony was just to lazy or money-hungry to leave that out.

The SNES was also in a completely different era though, I guess Sony wouldn't need to do BC. But I was completely expecting it anyways. I was a fool I suppose...:O

I'm just not sure when I can even think about making the full transition. My PS3 collection is huuuggge. Why can't I be able to play these games on the PS4? I'll only be frustrated if they're still allowing PSOne compatibility on the PS4, then I'll just be like, "Really?"

My PS3 collection isn't too big yet but I was hoping it to be, now I'm unsure if I should keep buying...

The Last of Us comes out this summer and its made by the IMO system seller company Naughty Dog...I feel sorry for all the people that may be getting the game with a PS4 for Christmas. :(

Yeah it's my biggest grudge against PS4 right now as well, i got all these classic HD collections and so many awesom PS3 games, and i can't play them on a PS4?!

Yeah, my annoyance is partially made of the idea of not being to play those numerous HD collections which were originally on the PS2...and I thought the whole idea for them was to have them to play on PS3 in result of the lack of PS2 BC on PS3...

I will be sad if none of the previous consoles get no BC and only streaming. Streaming sucks...

Well, you still have your PS3.

Yeah I've this comment alot. I have my PS3 until the PSN or something is shut down on PS3. Then I'm screwed...

The world was way different in 1990-91 when the Super Famicom launched. Nowadays everytime you buy an iPad or iPhone or gadget running Google's Android, you don't have to buy your apps all over again. Your past purchases still work. If the next iPhone came out and broke all compatability, people would be fuming.

Exactly! This times a gazillion. As a owner of those evil iDevices its nice to play a game or app on iPad then on the go access the same game on my iPhone later on and pick up where I left off.

yeah i still got my original fat ps3, never had a reason to get a slim. i upgraded the 60gb within that year to a 500gb. was funny to me when they started selling larger hard drives, when you could just replace your hard drive on the system you had. hope this is similar with the hard drives being easy to replace.

Wasn't that PS2 system data on the PSN store just for the original phat PS3s that had backwards compatibility? I think it was just a small download requirement or something. I remember downloading it on my slim thinking it would play PS2 games afterwards but it didn't.
Yeah, I remember renting Vice City about a year ago and trying to play it on my PS3, only to find out I couldn't. I was surprised because I remember seeing my brother do the same when he first got his at launch.

I hope the PS4 launch consoles aren't big and bulky again,PS1&2 were each one size and then 3 came out as a big machine and then got slim and recently even slimmer.

PS4's launch consoles should be slim like PS3's current one,They can do latter upgrades in design&spec changes without having to be a much better size&shape

I'm a bit disappointed that the PS4 will not be backward compatible but it isn't a deal breaker for me. When it comes down to it, the PS3 is a pretty damn good bluray/DVD player so I have no intent to get rid of it. I'll keep it in my bedroom with the PS4 in my living room. No biggie, really.

Anyone else surprised that there was not an Uncharted 4 announcement? Maybe Sony is saving it for E3?

Anyone else surprised that there was not an Uncharted 4 announcement? Maybe Sony is saving it for E3?

I was fully expecting a surprise Uncharted 4 announcement at the end of the show with the logo and theme music. I don't know why I was but I felt if anything that would sell consoles. Much in the way Microsoft surprise revealed Halo 4.

yeah i can see the adds already, uncharted 4 on PS4, rolls of the tongue

The SNES was also in a completely different era though, I guess Sony wouldn't need to do BC. But I was completely expecting it anyways. I was a fool I suppose...:O
True, but the point is the NES and SNES were cartidges, but they were the same kinds. When Sony started with the discs, it became easier to think that the tech would support the old and the new. But I wonder if Sony is doing this so that PS3 will continue to sell. You'd imagine that most people would just forget about the PS3 once they upgrade, even though the PS2 seemed to somehow survive for a long time.

But looking at some of the things Sony is saying, it almost seems like they are trying to "reboot" things, and starting off completely fresh with this console. I saw this video on IGN where they made an interesting point, where Sony showed some of their first party franchises, but they didn't number them. They didn't say Killzone 4 or inFamous 3. It's almost like they're not trying to continue what started on PS3, but rather starting off something fresh based on old ideas, which is the opposite of what Nintendo has fallen into with their franchises, where every Zelda or Mario game follows a similar trend.

ITT: People have no idea how expensive the PS4 would be if it were backwards compatible.

Then why doesn't Sony flat out disclose this to the public officially?

It's better than people questioning their motives.

I was fully expecting a surprise Uncharted 4 announcement at the end of the show with the logo and theme music. I don't know why I was but I felt if anything that would sell consoles. Much in the way Microsoft surprise revealed Halo 4.

Sony figures they probably have to save something for E3 (especially since there is a good chance MS will unroll 720 at E3, Sony will need something to keep focus on themselves) and when it comes down to it, Uncharted is their biggest exclusive IP. Having that ace in the hole at E3 will be a good thing for Sony. If it happens.

I hope the PS4 launch consoles aren't big and bulky again,PS1&2 were each one size and then 3 came out as a big machine and then got slim and recently even slimmer.

PS4's launch consoles should be slim like PS3's current one,They can do latter upgrades in design&spec changes without having to be a much better size&shape
Its important to remember that the tech was very different at the time. Wasn't the original X-Box a huge box too? The tech now should be able to do more and take up less space, but it shouldn't be a guarantee, especially since any hardware developer would be more concerned with just getting the tech to work period. Making it smaller comes later on, depending on how much time they've had to compact it.

I'm a bit disappointed that the PS4 will not be backward compatible but it isn't a deal breaker for me. When it comes down to it, the PS3 is a pretty damn good bluray/DVD player so I have no intent to get rid of it. I'll keep it in my bedroom with the PS4 in my living room. No biggie, really.

Yeah, I invested in my PS3 for the long haul. I'm not planning on tossing it to the side, especially since I'm not planning to gt the PS4 right away.

As for Uncharted, like I just mentioned in the post above, it seemed like Sony was trying to make a statement by saying this is something new. I think its highly likely that we'll see a sequel at some point, but right now Sony wanted to show that this is a new beginning, not an upgraded continuation. Also, Emily Rose is currently pregnant and recently said she has not heard anything about a sequel, so we may not see one anytime soon, unless she was completely lying, or if Elena is not involved.

at least sony does plan on a 10yr life cycle. they support the bad place out of their older systems. remember how xbox stopped making games.

Sony said PS4 will have a 10 year life cycle?

I just read that the DS3 wont work on the PS4. Well that stinks
Yeah, I was just going to mention that I finally shelled out and got a new DS3 this past week because I desperately needed one.

But I guess it makes sense since the DS4 has features that the DS3 can't do. It really does seem like Sony is trying to cut ties to the past generation.

I think 10 full years is perfect

i was talking about the older systems, so they don't just dump them when a new one comes out. they still keep the systems alive. so you don't have to worry about your ps3 it still has some years left in it.

I'm excited about PS4 and no backwards comparability doesn't affect me and so I'm ready to trade in my PS3 in a few months to get PS4 at launch

Sony said PS4 will have a 10 year life cycle?

They said that about the PS3.

True, but the point is the NES and SNES were cartidges, but they were the same kinds. When Sony started with the discs, it became easier to think that the tech would support the old and the new. But I wonder if Sony is doing this so that PS3 will continue to sell. You'd imagine that most people would just forget about the PS3 once they upgrade, even though the PS2 seemed to somehow survive for a long time.

But looking at some of the things Sony is saying, it almost seems like they are trying to "reboot" things, and starting off completely fresh with this console. I saw this video on IGN where they made an interesting point, where Sony showed some of their first party franchises, but they didn't number them. They didn't say Killzone 4 or inFamous 3. It's almost like they're not trying to continue what started on PS3, but rather starting off something fresh based on old ideas, which is the opposite of what Nintendo has fallen into with their franchises, where every Zelda or Mario game follows a similar trend.

As long as Sony continues to support the PS3 after the launch of the PS4 I will shut my mouth after time hehe. A reboot idea is interesting. But I had this crazy dream idea of Naughty Dog doing through 4's for the PS4. Crash 4, Jak 4, and Uncharted 4. :awesome:

I wonder if Insomniac will ever make a PS exclusive game again? I don't want Ratchet and Clank to be done with. :(

Sony figures they probably have to save something for E3 (especially since there is a good chance MS will unroll 720 at E3, Sony will need something to keep focus on themselves) and when it comes down to it, Uncharted is their biggest exclusive IP. Having that ace in the hole at E3 will be a good thing for Sony. If it happens.

I think having Uncharted as a launch or year one title will guarantee sales. At one point I considered Killzone possibly becoming their greatest flagship title, it didn't. Heck I'd buy a PS4 immediately if another Uncharted was on the way. I do think Sony is hiding something in a way to counter-attack whatever Microsoft is going to announce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"